mtbr member
    Feb 2010

transAM and front derailleur clearance

Hey all,
    I just got my new transAM 29er shipped to me, set it up, and it's so sick but the only problem is that the front derailleur isn't clearing the tire. I'm running the stock SRAM X7. I'd love some help if anyone know's whats up! I'm headed to Durango on Friday for some riding and I'm really hoping to have it ready by then. Thanks,
    Eric

Ride Like the Wind
    I just got my Trans Am and one of the first things I noticed is how close the rear tire comes to the front derailer.My Trans Am came with the Ardent tire,do you have the Ardent tire?If not,maby you just need a tire that fits the tight clearance of a 29er wheel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, it's got the stock Ardent's on it, I had it shipped to me from a bike shop that had it built up so something might have gotten bumped in transit. The X7 looks pretty thick so I'm hoping to just find something thinner that I can swap out. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had same problem with X7 low clamp, and swapped with X9 high clamp with a lot of clearance.
    My frame is Medium and working very well. If you look at their web site, they already revised its recommended front der to high clamp SRAM or bottom swing SHIMANO.
    As far as you have SRAM 2X10 crank and rear der with SRAM shifter, using SHIMANO front der is headache. I recommend to use X9 high clamp.
    I rode with X7 in muddy condition for couple days and somewhat survived, but it is just not right and manufacture building kit is not supposed to be like this.
    TranAM 29 is a amazing AM bike, I think it is definitely a keeper. You will like it.
    Happy trail,

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Awesome, thanks a lot man. I'll have to pick up the X9 then. Even if I could get enought clearance with the X7 I'd really like to switch it out and now worry about it anymore in case I find myself in some muddy conditions or something like you were saying. Other than that it seems like it'll be an incredible bike, I rode my brother's Yelli Screamy out at Goosberry a few months back and loved the feel of the AM HT. I appreciate the help