How much further ???

TransAM 2012 vs 2013

Why is the the 2013 TransAM 29 spec'd worse than the 2012?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Pricing. Overall the price of bikes are going up. So to keep the sub 2400 dollar price point they had to lower the specs of the bike I feel your pain man! I really liked the specs on the 2012 but am not so plused on the new spec list

mtbr member
    What has been downgraded in the spec list?

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    What has been downgraded in the spec list?
    Basically went from a full X7 drivetrain to X5 and went from Elixer 7 to Elixer 3 brakes. Now as a Shimano drivetrain guy Im not familiar enough with SRAM to know the difference between X7 and X5 but if its like dropping from XT to SLX and charging the same, that sucks . I guess the problem is (and it is my problem Im sure) is I feel a hardtail retailng for $2300 should be spec'd better IMO. I think a visit to the LBS is in order.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Dropping from XT to SLX isn't really that big of a deal... but dropping from X7 to X5 is a HUGE difference. I'm a SRAM guy through and through, but the X5 stuff is garbage.

Then again, so are 29ers'

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Dropping from XT to SLX isn't really that big of a deal... but dropping from X7 to X5 is a HUGE difference. I'm a SRAM guy through and through, but the X5 stuff is garbage.

Then again, so are 29ers'
    What part of the X5's are junk? All of it? I was thinking of getting the bike and swapping out the shifters and rear der. for SLX. And ditch the Elixer for Formula RX. (Dont know about Elixers and dont care. My Slayer has RX's and I only want to have one bleed kit/pads etc. Plus they are awesome). I was going to keep the X5 front der., cranks, and cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Are there any changes to the frame and geometry on the 2013 29er one? I am sure I heard/ read something about a change but nothing is mentioned on the site.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzer View Post
    Are there any changes to the frame and geometry on the 2013 29er one? I am sure I heard/ read something about a change but nothing is mentioned on the site.
    Only change is a bit of weight reduction due to a lighter downtube. That and bold new graphics.

You guys are correct all around... costs going up all around, but wanted to keep the MSRP where it was, so that was the sacrifice we had to make. The TransAM 29 is a great candidate for a custom build if you are after something a bit more premium...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Only change is a bit of weight reduction due to a lighter downtube. That and bold new graphics.

You guys are correct all around... costs going up all around, but wanted to keep the MSRP where it was, so that was the sacrifice we had to make. The TransAM 29 is a great candidate for a custom build if you are after something a bit more premium...
    I had the 2012 M frame, I am 1.8m' and felt very good with the Medium frame.
    I want to buy the 2013 frame but at your site I can see now that I need the L frame, so whats the story?...
    How can I compare the sizes between the TM 29 to the Bandit 29 to the Covert 29?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TransAM 2012 vs 2013-img_5360_web.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    No one is answering...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    No one is answering because it's a dumb question.
    Same geometry bros. If you liked your 2012 medium, get a 2013 medium.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    No one is answering...
    If you liked the geo than stick with it.

Our reccomendations might change over time based on what riders trends and preferences will dictate. And they are always a reccomendation only, and not a rule of any sort.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you liked the geo than stick with it.

Cheers!
    Two hours ago I ordered a Medium 29" Bandit, so I am glade to read that, I really liked my M 29" TM

What do you think about Reba 140 fork at the front with CC 1" or 1.5" angel set?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Two hours ago I ordered a Medium 29" Bandit, so I am glade to read that, I really liked my M 29" TM

What do you think about Reba 140 fork at the front with CC 1" or 1.5" angel set?
    Thanks
    Is that a new 2013 or a leftover 2012? If it is a 2013 and you are running a 140 fork I definitely wouldn't use an angleset.

If you are building a 2012 with a 140 fork you could try it with a 1 degree angleset... but I think it was good where it was at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is that a new 2013 or a leftover 2012? If it is a 2013 and you are running a 140 fork I definitely wouldn't use an angle set.

If you are building a 2012 with a 140 fork you could try it with a 1 degree angle set... but I think it was good where it was at.
    I am talking about 2013 (I just got it), If I put 140 Reba with no AS then I will get 68' head tube angel, higher BB, more weight on the rear shock, longer wheelbase.
    With 1' AS, I will get 67'-68' HT angel. no change in BB height, balance weight, longer WB.
    I wanted the Covert 29" but I Couldn't get it, in that way it will be more like the Covert.

Why you are so negative about the AS, did you tried it?
    Thanks
    Last edited by esku; 12-07-2012 at 12:51 PM.