mtbr member

trans am ss 150mm 26er build advice.

I'm looking to build a ss trans am with a 150mm wc revelation. How does the trans climb and descend? I'm currently on a carbon stumpy evo with a fox 36 and a niner carbon 29er SS. I'm lusting over a SS 26 AM bike that can do a enduro event than do a 100 mile xc race. I'm not too concern with weight but considering my gear stumpy with a 36 is 24.5 lbs I like to keep the trans under 24lbs.

What I have in parts right now just need a 2012 med frame.

Hope evo 2 lace to flows
    XTR trail brakes
    XO crank with hbc spiderless 32t ring
    Thomson 50 stem
    thomson seatpost
    Answer carbon wide bars
    carbon steer WC 150 Revelation fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ive got a 2011 trans am ss with a fox 150 talus. Also ride a 2011 S-works stumpy. The trans am is just as fun to ride, climbs almost as well, feels solid on the descent. Talus function on the fork is not needed. It is slower for sure overall though. It would be tough to get under 24lbs. Mine feels pretty heavy compared to the stumpy, but is probably high 20's for weight. Revolution 28 wheels, 4 piston hope breaks, and the stylo cranks. Bars are carbon but nothing else is weight saving. I put a 70mm stem on it which feels right and a dropper post. Ive used it for enduro events but won't be my choice for long distance XC events. I ordered a hadley bolt on axle with allen heads which I recommend, although your dropouts should be different on the new frame.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    I'm looking to build a ss trans am with a 150mm wc revelation. How does the trans climb and descend? I'm currently on a carbon stumpy evo with a fox 36 and a niner carbon 29er SS. I'm lusting over a SS 26 AM bike that can do a enduro event than do a 100 mile xc race. I'm not too concern with weight but considering my gear stumpy with a 36 is 24.5 lbs I like to keep the trans under 24lbs.

What I have in parts right now just need a 2012 med frame.

Hope evo 2 lace to flows
    XTR trail brakes
    XO crank with hbc spiderless 32t ring
    Thomson 50 stem
    thomson seatpost
    Answer carbon wide bars
    carbon steer WC 150 Revelation fork.
    My ss transAM climbs and descends like a beast. You might be right around 24lbs with the components you've listed. I've got some not so light components and mine weighs in at 26.5lbs. The thing is a blast. Its the most stable bike I've ever ridden. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys I'm leaning towards a blue 2012. Excited to get on a 26 ss seems like it's a extinct breed with all the wagon wheels. Very good hear that the Trans AM slays the trails.

singlespeed stephen
    Apr 2012
    I'll second the 2012 blue Trans Am, turns head everywhere and is the funnest bike I've ever ridden. I've only been riding XC for a couple years and this bike is extremely confidence inspiring. It just feels sturdy and stable and thrives on twisty singletrack, really rails turns.
    2012 Transition TransAM
    2012 Surly Cross Check
    2010 Rocky Mountain Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Fox 36 160

Never try, can transam frame handle 160 travel fork for dirt jumping?