Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Trans Am advice

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    140

    Trans Am advice

    Just bought a 2011 Trans AM frame with headset, seatpost, and MRP chain guide. Plan is to build up a 1x9 with a 150mm travel fork. Looking for advice on what BB/crankset to get. Any links to products would definitely help. Thanks in advance.


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,819
    Go with any of the SRAM/ Truvativ's offerings. Reasonably priced (on sale online right now), durable, and allow the use of spiderless chainrings.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,344

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,344
    Double post.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    140
    Thanks for the info. Any idea how long of a steerer tube I need to work with a large Trans AM frame?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,819
    PM sent.

    My guess is the a steerer tube in the range of 7.75-8" would allow for the use of a few spacers and the stack height differences of headsets and stems.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,344
    Quote Originally Posted by nhmtns View Post
    Thanks for the info. Any idea how long of a steerer tube I need to work with a large Trans AM frame?
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    PM sent.

    My guess is the a steerer tube in the range of 7.75-8" would allow for the use of a few spacers and the stack height differences of headsets and stems.
    Dug up my old PB listing for the 36 Float I had on my Large TransAM and it had a 8" steerer, ran a Thomson stem, 20mm worth of spacers.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    140
    Thanks for the responses. Was considering a fork with 7 5/8'' steerer tube, but decided it was cutting it too close.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    78
    Sram offering with removable spider and an MRP bling ring. AKA, X9, S1400, XO. Best weight strength combo for under $200. That said, the new Atlas cranks are pretty sick, and can be had on universal for around $240 with 10% off code.

    Universal Cycles -- Race Face Atlas Crank Arms 2012 - 68/73mm BB Included

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpatrickb View Post
    Sram offering with removable spider and an MRP bling ring. AKA, X9, S1400, XO. Best weight strength combo for under $200. That said, the new Atlas cranks are pretty sick, and can be had on universal for around $240 with 10% off code.

    Universal Cycles -- Race Face Atlas Crank Arms 2012 - 68/73mm BB Included
    I just bought an atlas crank, bb, and 34 tooth chain ring for 241.85 arrived at my door two days later. Ebikes.com or something close.. I'd have to dig up the actual online company. it was also the 2013 stuff so 100 grams lighter. FYI

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    78
    My link is the updated crank, most sites say 2012 for the new ones. You can tell it because they switched to exi for them. How are you liking it?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    oh maybe its 2012, either way its the updated one. My bad. I like it a lot. Very stiff. I think you can find a lighter crank but... won't be as durable nor have as much style. I don't take mine on and off so... cant tell you if its easier or not but... going on was great and seems to be working so far, only been on 10 rides or so with them.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    140
    Anyone know if brake cable lengths of 29" front and 50" rear will work for a large Trans AM frame? Fork is a Revelation XX 150 mm. Just want to make sure before I commit to buy. Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •