Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trans AM 29er Sizing ?'s and opinions from anyone who's ridden one.

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Brig 
#1 ·
So, I've narrowed my search for an AM hardtail 29er down to

1. Trans AM 29er: Love everything about the bike on paper. (could be a little cheaper)
2. Canfield N9: Love this one too, but I doubt I'll be able to get one any time soon. And it's a bit pricier.
3. Kona Honzo: Would totally pull the trigger if a. I could run a FD and/or b. I could get last years color. I know, I'm shallow.

Also, if I do get the Transition......can anyone recommend a size? Unfortunately I'm 5'10" and there's no size Medium and a half.
I'm thinking that the Large would fit pretty well, as I'm riding a 19" Marin Pine Mountain with an ETT of 605 and that's between the M and L Trans AM. I'll be doing the Short Stem/Wide Bar thing too.

Transition or DNZ guys, are these in stock?

And, to throw an wrench in, in the back of my mind is the Niner R.I.P. 9 but I really like riding a hardtail.......but there's a frame/fork combo on Jenson right now that's in my budget.....

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#8 ·
Good choice on getting a medium. I'm just shy of 6'2" and I'm on a large. Its a big bike, if I were a few inches shorter I'd be on a medium. You'll love the bike, I've been riding mine for about a month now and its such a simple, fun daily driver bike.

#10 ·
Awesome bike...you won't be disappointed. I ordered my frame and build kit through Drop N Zone as well. I second the fact they are a great group of guys to work with. I'm gonna try to attach a pic of mine from its maiden voyage down the trail. I know the brake lines need shortened but I was impatient and put a couple of miles on it before I cut them down to size.

Attachments

#18 ·
Update, bike came in....took about a week total. Thanks DNZ (not to mention the 10% off) Had some issues getting the Bottom Bracket and rear derailleur off. Took it in to the shop. Should be done tomorrow......Pretty excited. Weather is supposed to be sunny and warm this week, Pics to follow.

#22 ·
I just transferred most of my parts from my Marin Pine Mountain.
X7 shifters and front derailleur, X9 rear derailleur (running 2x10 on the cheap with a BBG bash) avid elixir3, Thomson stem and post, niner flat bar, Stan's Arch EX rims with their hubs. Love the thru axle front and rear. Can't think of anything
I want to change just yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.