mtbr member
    Jan 2008

TR250 vs TR450 for the Southeast

I'm trying to decide between the TR250 and TR450. I would like to demo both but do not have a chance. I ride mostly at places like Windrock, Western NC, Beech Mtn, and Snowshow, WV. I had a Bottlerocket and loved it, but wanted a little more travel. From what I understand the 250 sounds like it would be very similar to the Bottlerocket in that it is more playful with a little more travel. Currently I don't race but am considering it this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd recommend the 250, the playfulness is worth the speed penalty IMO, such a fun bike!
    Besides, if you're in for a race, you can drop the BB, lengthen the wheelbase and set the suspension to the 180mm setting. Planning to do that myself this year.
    A good compromise would be a 250 with DC fork too..

Well, either way you go, there's not a wrong decision, both bikes are awesome
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am almost certain you'd much prefer the 250. I'd ridden both at Whistler (and now own the 250) and used to own a Bottlerocket too. The 250 is playful yes, but don't think it's too similar to the 250 - the suspension (and entire bike) feels MUCH more DH-ey while still jumping like a Bottlerocket.

The TR450 wasn't nearly as much fun for me - not even a fraction - because the only time it really shined was when you were balls-to-the-wall gunning it. It felt kind of 'dead' when you weren't pushing it hard compared to the 250. I'm not fast enough for the 450 is what it is.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am in the same boat right now except I have the 450. I've wanted the 250 but decided to get the 450 for the full dh capabilities it has. I always liked the snappy/poppy/playful feel of smaller travel bikes and loved the bottlerocket I had. I think I'm going to get a 250 frameset and either a Totem or a 180mm Fox 36 and keep the 450. Build either one up depending on the trail. Ride and enjoy them both. But I'm really thinking I'll be happiest with the 250. Kinda lime LBS, I'm not fast enough for the 450

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward the 250 since I liked the Bottlerocket so much, so this verifies what I was thinking. One other question, I am 5'11'' and had a Med. Bottlerocket. At first it felt a little small but I eventually got used to it and loved it. I fall right in between a Large and a Medium, what would you recommend for frame size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, tough call. The bike fits short, so a large might be good. I'm 5'9" on a medium but i do also have a longer torso (only 30" inseam) so medium might be good, too!

Since you were considering a 450 too I'd probably go towards the large as it will fit more DH-y. You could run a 35 or 40mm stem if need be, but running a 60mm stem on a 250 would be kind of weird.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

underestimate me
    Regarding the size:
    I'm also thinking about TR250 with DC and my measurements show that TR250 in large will be little shorter than my current Kona Operator in medium.
    So I'll try to stick with large TR250 with Boxxer as a replacement of DH-bike.

BTW, I'm 5'10
    "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Deezam, the med 250's reach is over an inch shorter than that of the bottlrocket, according to the bottlerocket v4 info on their site. So if the med BR felt small the 250 might feel even shorter. Perhaps a large with a supershort (30-35 mm) stem is in order. If it helps, i'm 5'8" and right between S and M on my 2012 blindside, went with a med with a 30 mm stem and it was definitely the right choice for me. Either that or a small with a 60 mm stem...kinda wierd. The reach on a med BR is 408 mm (at least for the v4, dunno which one you have), reach on the large 250 is 411. You might not even need an extremely short stem! if I got a 250 id def ride a med with a 45 mm stem, no brainer. At 5'11 its a tough call. Call transition and see what they have to say about it.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    Deezam, the med 250's reach is over an inch shorter than that of the bottlrocket, according to the bottlerocket v4 info on their site. So if the med BR felt small the 250 might feel even shorter. Perhaps a large with a supershort (30-35 mm) stem is in order. If it helps, i'm 5'8" and right between S and M on my 2012 blindside, went with a med with a 30 mm stem and it was definitely the right choice for me. Either that or a small with a 60 mm stem...kinda wierd. The reach on a med BR is 408 mm (at least for the v4, dunno which one you have), reach on the large 250 is 411. You might not even need an extremely short stem! if I got a 250 id def ride a med with a 45 mm stem, no brainer. At 5'11 its a tough call. Call transition and see what they have to say about it.
    The wheelbase and head angle make a big difference in the handling. At 5'8" I would put you on a medium for sure, and it will feel bigger on the trail than a Bottlerocket due to the bigger wheelbase and slacker HA.

Cheers!

humber river advocate
    i ride in the east also... picked up a tr 250 and will single crown it. my riding is mostly blue mt and mount saint anne... used to ride a m9, that just plowed through everything. i think the tr 250 is a good balance. enough of a dh to handle the gnar, yet playful enough to milk the shorter runs we have in the east.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee