mtbr member
    Mar 2004

TR250 under hard braking issue

So just got my TR250 together...setup in the shortest chainstay, lowest bb, and slackest head angle (with an additional 1 degree negative Angleset cup)

Issue: Under hard rear breaking, in a very steep section, the forces applied to the rear wheel won't allow me to turn my cranks until I let up on the rear brake. It's as if so much load is being put onto the wheel bearings, or freehub that it binds it up. At times I want to turn my cranks one way or the other and they don't want to move easy until I let off the brake, then its fine. It's a Stans HD hub on a Flow rim and new.

I've been told this is a symptom of "brake jack" and wondered if anyone else has had this issue in this configuration? I always understood brake jack to affect suspension, not drivetrain. I've never experienced my drivetrain issue before in all the DH bikes I've owned so I'm stumped.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    interesting....did you put the spacer below your brake on the front mounting tab? its on TBC website when running in short chainstay mode you need to add that spacer to the setup. Maybe thats your issue?

check Transition Bikes Thats a link to their support page, click on the 250 on the left side its under brake setup.

hope that helped
    Pedalshop
    [SIZE="4"]Transition Bike Co.[/SIZE]

dont touch the dirt

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider View Post
    So just got my TR250 together...setup in the shortest chainstay, lowest bb, and slackest head angle (with an additional 1 degree negative Angleset cup)

Issue: Under hard rear breaking, in a very steep section, the forces applied to the rear wheel won't allow me to turn my cranks until I let up on the rear brake. It's as if so much load is being put onto the wheel bearings, or freehub that it binds it up. At times I want to turn my cranks one way or the other and they don't want to move easy until I let off the brake, then its fine. It's a Stans HD hub on a Flow rim and new.

I've been told this is a symptom of "brake jack" and wondered if anyone else has had this issue in this configuration? I always understood brake jack to affect suspension, not drivetrain. I've never experienced my drivetrain issue before in all the DH bikes I've owned so I'm stumped.
    First of all... WOW, your bike must be ridiculously slack!

But to understand the issue better. Are you not able to back pedal the cranks? Brakes applied to the rear wheel will have a direct impact on your ability to pedal forward, but it should not have any impact on your ability to pedal backwards.