mtbr member

TR250 suspension\geometry adjustments

I just got a used 2012 TR250 and cant find any info on how to do all the adjustments etc. I emailed Transition because I realized I don't have the chips to do a bunch of the stuff anyway.

For example on the chainstay adjustment if I try to put it on the shorter wheelbase setting it seems like the brakes are in the way. Do you have to mess with that each time?

And for the rear travel setting how do you go about getting the shock into the higher hole for the 7" setting?

It would be nice to have a manual for this bike to help me figure it out.

And how do you know what version your bike is for ordering parts?
    Last edited by Two Wheelin; 09-17-2013 at 11:12 PM.

mtbr member
    A lot of what you are looking for is here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BinaryBike View Post
    A lot of what you are looking for is here.
    Thanks for the link. I'm trying to order the chips and a spare axle but don't know if it matters what version my bike is or what that even means.

For the axle the PDF says 150mmx12 but the axle on the site says 142mm for all 2012 250s
    Transition Bikes

mtbr member
    That link is for an axle that is not compatible with any of the TR250s. The easiest thing to do is to call Transition. They will get you sorted in a jiffy. I've called them with success many times. What color is your bike? That's all you need to know to figure out which year it is. Does your axle have a small lock screw that screws into the end of the axle itself? If so this is the older version. When you call tell them you heard the old axles have a tendency to break and you want to upgrade before there's a problem and they should send you one for free. Otherwise it's 75 bucks for the chips and 40 for the axle. If you have an axle with a lock screw that screws in next to the axle head, (like this) you have the new version, and all you need are the offset chips for the left and right side. found here.

mtbr member
    The bike is a 2012 (blue) and but I have seen different versions on the site for 2012. It does have the small screw on the other side that screws into the axle itself. I have the rear chip that will switch from long to short but not the middle setting. I don't know what chip is in the suspension linkage and assume I would just get what I don't have. The bike is at the shop getting a couple of things done to it so I cant look. Can you even tell without taking it apart?

mtbr member
    So that's the new axle, for one. You might have to buy the whole kit to get the centered chip. The chip that changes geometry is found where the rear shock mount is. If you undo the front shock mount bolt and let the shock swing forwards in the frame, it'll expose the rear mount and you can see if you have the offset or centered chip in there.

mtbr member
    I actually took the bike out today for a couple of runs. I tried it with the 6" and then the 7" rear settings so I see how it comes apart. I ordered the newer style axle and the chips I need from Transition and they are throwing in the caliper washers for using the short wheelbase setting. I'm working on getting the suspension dialed in but so far its a beast. Thanks for all your help!