mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Tires for Bandit 26

I have been on Nevegals since getting my Bandit last October. The rear is pretty worn and I need new rubber. They are the DTC and I am running them tubeless. I don't feel like they hook up as well as I would like them to in loose or off camber turns. 2.35 front and 2.1 rear.

I am looking at Ardents in 2.4 and 2.25 or WTB Weirwolfs. Would larger be better and any recommendation for tires that need to do well on a varied terrain minus mud. I do race occasionally FWIW, but would rather work harder on 2 track and excel on single track.
    Last edited by Hoka Hey; 10-06-2012 at 05:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Are you using the Rev 25 wheels? I am also curious how wide I should be going on mine...

I too tried out some 2.35 Nevs and they felt a little weird to me. I found a deal on some single-ply 2.35 minions that I am going to give a whirl - hopefully get some more cornering confidence. Might not be the most applicable tire, but I have heard so many good things, I felt I at least needed to find out for myself.

mtbr member
    Hans Dampfs and Muddy Marys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've been running a Weirwolf up front and a Mutano in back. Idea was to have a slightly better rolling tire on back.

The Weirwolf has been great in lots of conditions from try and dusty to tacky hero dirt (Tahoe, Downieville, Santa Cruz).

The Mutano rolls okay, and will break away before the Weirwolf, but it doesn't feel like it has a lot of traction under braking.

I do like this set up better than the Nobby Nics I was running on this bike, especially on the front.

All tires run tubelss on some 2009 Easton Havocs on my V1 Bandit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hot ticket in these parts (BC) are Specialized tires. 2.2 Purgatory Control on the rear and 2.3 Butcher Control on the front

mtbr member
    ardents and hans damphs both go well, I have never tried the burlier specialized tires so can't give input there.

Ardents last alot longer than most schwalbe tires but a hans damph on the front still lasts ages!
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Been running DHF front and 2.25 crossmark in the rear for ages. Fun combo with the predictability of the minion and crossmark. You always know the rear will give before the front, so drifting turns is a breeze. The crossmark rolls very well too which is nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am still running Revolution 25s

Are the Minions as slow as the Nevegals?

Is it a good idea to use a less aggressive rear tire to allow the rear to loose traction first or is it really about reducing rolling resistance? I seem to break loose more in the front and it spooks me sometimes. I realize it can be technique and am trying to alter how I weight the bike in the same turns to try to figure it out.

mtbr member
    The nevegal, in my experience is not very predictable and rolls about as slow as anything out there, so most of the front tire suggestions you've gotten here will help with that. I find the minion rolls significantly better than a nevegal and is much more predictable. I keep getting the minion tire after tire because at this point, I know what it will do and predictability is as important as anything, esp in a front tire.

The crossmark has much more grip that you would think looking at it (although not ideal for deep mud or sand) so it's not like there is no traction. It's just that if I want to drift a turn or blow up a berm, I can do it. If I push too hard into a corner, loss of traction is controlled, not a sudden and total loss of traction. Again, I just know the crossmark pretty well, so it suits me.

I have no doubt that the specialized tires are great as well based on what I've been told by my friends riding their DH rubber. Harder to find it on sale, which isn't true for the XC/AM Maxxis offerings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm on my second set of Tioga psycho genius tires on my bandit. 2.3 front and 2.1 rear. They are awesome on everything but wet granite type rock( which I almost never encounter so they're perfect for me). Should be able to find them under 40 buck each too.