mtbr member
    Mar 2012

For those of you with Bottlerockets

First off i'm new to mountain biking but grew up riding & racing bmx. Currently ive got a Jamis Dakar XC.
    Anyways i'm trying to get some opinions here on whether a bottlerocket will work for me. Most of my local trails are singletrack. There's also a downhill track that I wanna make it to a couple times this year. So what is this bike like on singletrack type trails? Are you able manuever the bike easily and make it up the hills? And do you find the 5.5 rear travel to be enough or do you find yourself wanting more? I just really like the look of the Br but don't wanna shortchange myself when I could pick up an Am bike that has more travel and may work out better for me.

Look forward to your input.

mtbr member
    I don't see you needing anything with more travel for trail riding and occasional downhill.

The bottlerocket is a slightly cheaper option but I think the covert is the better bike. 2 different bikes though.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Get a Covert. Most of the trails I ride are xc type trails with small jumps and I also go to a downhill course about once a month. Couldn't be any happier with my decision to get one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you're someone who likes the fun of a hardtail but wants some cush, the Bottlerocket is perfect. If you like the efficiency of a full suspension bike the Covert's probably the better call.

The Bottlerocket isn't a very efficient pedaler but it's a hoot to ride, manuals and jumps like only a 4X bike will. It's perfectly suited to singletrack as long as you're not concerned about being at your personal fastest. It also doesn't have the small bump absorption that a true trail bike will, but it's bulletproof and will soak up the big hits very well for its travel, and feel completely rock solid in all situations.

I sold mine for a better pedaling bike but do miss it a lot too.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the responses guys. The Covert has had my attention as well as the Reign X and Nomad. I'm trying to buy used and on a budget of $1500 and there's a lot more br's out there then the other options. I'd like to hear more peoples opinions as well.

mtbr member
    I had a BR (2008-2009). It was one of the fastest bikes I've ever been on when the trail was pointed down. In Whistler I would have liked just a bit more travel in the rear. It was very nimble in the air but not a pedal all day ride. Go for the Covert if you want the best of both worlds. I found the BR to be very specific and damn good at it. Hope that helps.