Team Chilidog!

Test riding a Covert?

I'm new to this area, but I'd like to at least test ride my next bike. I'm looking at 160mm bikes, so the Covert is in the top 3. The problem I'm running into is riding one to test ride, and prolly a small (I'm 5'4", so I think I'm definitely a small).

Does anyone know of anyone in the Bay Area that carries them or has test ride/demos? Mammoth does, but that's a 6 hour drive and that's only the TR250 and TR450.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I ran into the same problem before getting a Covert 29. I just decided to order one from the nearest dealer without a test ride or even seeing one in person, and I don't regret my decision one bit. Given the relative scarcity of the brand, I suspect that most Covert buyers have have had a similar experience, but buyers remorse doesn't appear to be a common problem afterwards.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I live in So-Cal and there are only 2 bike shops that carry Transition or sell Transition bikes. I have been looking at a Covert / wanting to buy one for a while now but my biggest thing is not being able to ride one before purchasing. Well, yesterday I finally got to go to a bike shop in Upland and look at a customers 26" covert that he bought from there. Awesome looking bike. I took a small spin in the back parking lot which I know doesn't qualify as a demo ride. However from what I have read about the bike, what I heard about the bike, seeing the bike plus hearing all the good things about how Transition backs there stuff. I'm good. I am ready to purchase......................... Only problem now is I was told when I left the shop yesterday that Transition only has the Amber color in a medium left. No more Pewter or Pearl yellow in a medium because they are getting ready for 2014 models. Needless to say that was a bummer hearing that.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I ran into the same problem before getting a Covert 29. I just decided to order one from the nearest dealer without a test ride or even seeing one in person, and I don't regret my decision one bit. Given the relative scarcity of the brand, I suspect that most Covert buyers have have had a similar experience, but buyers remorse doesn't appear to be a common problem afterwards.
    I bought my last bike sight unseen, but I've been doing that with Ventana for a while now. I'm ready to expand what I'm looking for, but I need to see how it fits first, because that's an issue for me. While I'm sure it's a great bike, I'm 5'4" and I have to make sure the TT isn't too long.

The other problem I'm running into in general is finding a small anything to even throw a leg over, much less test ride. Transition Covert and Ibis Mojo HD are my top two choices. And because of my height, I'm on the cusp of a small and medium Ibis, but the medium feels really long to me. To find a small of those, it requires me bugging my friend to see if I can borrow hers.

Guess I should call Transition and see what they tell me for fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    FWIW, my Covert 29 is smaller than comparable medium-sized AM 29ers, particularly in terms of toptube length. Compare the Covert and Mojo geo charts.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by afp3 View Post
    I live in So-Cal and there are only 2 bike shops that carry Transition or sell Transition bikes. I have been looking at a Covert / wanting to buy one for a while now but my biggest thing is not being able to ride one before purchasing. Well, yesterday I finally got to go to a bike shop in Upland and look at a customers 26" covert that he bought from there. Awesome looking bike. I took a small spin in the back parking lot which I know doesn't qualify as a demo ride. However from what I have read about the bike, what I heard about the bike, seeing the bike plus hearing all the good things about how Transition backs there stuff. I'm good. I am ready to purchase......................... Only problem now is I was told when I left the shop yesterday that Transition only has the Amber color in a medium left. No more Pewter or Pearl yellow in a medium because they are getting ready for 2014 models. Needless to say that was a bummer hearing that.
    Since you have a Covert.. how does it pedal? It's a single pivot, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't have one. I am looking to purchase one and I was finally able to see one in person. Like I mentioned Transition only has the " AMBER COLOR " left in a medium size frame. I'm not crazy about that color at all. The 2 other colors I wanted they don't have anymore. I guess I am forced to wait longer or maybe even go back to what I was thinking about getting before which was the Specialized Enduro........ Kind of sucks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    small without a doubt on the Covert.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it