mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Talk to me about the BANDIT.....

Hey all, looking to get a new trail bike and had a couple questions about the bandit.

-What would the head angle, and BB height be with a 160 fork and flush lower cup?
    -looking to get the head angle <67* while keeping the BB <13.75"

-Is it laterally stiff? As in grab the seat tube and yank the tire bock and forth, any flex?

-Does it squat down much climbing?

- Can it handle gnar?

Thanks for any input. Coming off a banshee spitfire from last season, and while I love the bike, geo etc, the pivots SUCK and the rockers are flexy noodles. Hear all the great ride reports, and how awesome transition is to deal with so want to see for myself....thanks!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    big JC, Off hand I know some of the questions are covered in the discussion thread about the Bandit.

HTA would be approx 67 deg. Not sure about the BB
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can answer a few

It doesn't squat when climbing, at all. I've been very impressed with it's climbing ability. No squatting, no bobbing. The combination of the suspension design and the Fox RP23 work very well on this bike.

It can definitely handle gnarl. Today I took mine down some stuff that I normally only ride on my bigger bike and was pleasantly surprised how well it handled it. It was begging to go faster.

I've pedaled a Spitfire around. You'll be surprised at how good the Bandit feels in comparison. No awkward pedal feedback like the Spitfire. It's a very smooth pedaling bike. You'll find a bit of flex in the rear, nothing drastic though and it doesn't feel noodley at all. I'm around 220lbs and haven't felt any appreciable flex while riding. A buddy had a Spitfire and I witnessed the pivot horror story of a bike that is. I think you'll appreciate the single pivot simplicity and reliability.

And the Transition guys are awesome

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey JC, these are sub 30 pound bikes so there will be some flex. If you want stiffer than a Spitfire or Bandit go for a Covert. Also, the Bandit was designed with the 140/150 front travel in mind, so if you want a low BB and a slacker HA, go with an Angle Set. We have used them on a few Bandits and they work out great and keeps everything in check. The 142mmx12 rear is stiffer than the 135mm for sure.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_Money View Post
    Hey JC, these are sub 30 pound bikes so there will be some flex. If you want stiffer than a Spitfire or Bandit go for a Covert. Also, the Bandit was designed with the 140/150 front travel in mind, so if you want a low BB and a slacker HA, go with an Angle Set. We have used them on a few Bandits and they work out great and keeps everything in check. The 142mmx12 rear is stiffer than the 135mm for sure.
    Hey Chad, I actually got my Banshee from you guys. I have definitely considered the bandit vs covert. While build weight is not that big of a concern I do want it to be stiff, as the spitfire gets unsettled in hard banking, and the rear end will wander all over in high traction off camber stuff. What I'm looking for is a good pedaling/climbing lively trail bike. Maybe that is the covert, I've never ridden one. My concern with another 6" trail bike (I've owned many) is wallow. All 6" inch bikes I've used to trail ride wallow bad climbing, in g-outs, hard banked turns, and coming off rollers all of which I don't want in a trail bike. Maybe the covert is not susceptible to this? I know I would need to use offset cups to get a lower slacker bandit. I know you guys at dropnzone get to ride all sorts of bikes set up all different ways so any more input would be awesome! Decisions, decisions......

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    I can answer a few

It doesn't squat when climbing, at all. I've been very impressed with it's climbing ability. No squatting, no bobbing. The combination of the suspension design and the Fox RP23 work very well on this bike.

It can definitely handle gnarl. Today I took mine down some stuff that I normally only ride on my bigger bike and was pleasantly surprised how well it handled it. It was begging to go faster.

I've pedaled a Spitfire around. You'll be surprised at how good the Bandit feels in comparison. No awkward pedal feedback like the Spitfire. It's a very smooth pedaling bike. You'll find a bit of flex in the rear, nothing drastic though and it doesn't feel noodley at all. I'm around 220lbs and haven't felt any appreciable flex while riding. A buddy had a Spitfire and I witnessed the pivot horror story of a bike that is. I think you'll appreciate the single pivot simplicity and reliability.

And the Transition guys are awesome
    Hey David, thanks for the input, well said and very helpful. I ride a 34t ring on the spitfire and get no wonkey feedback. However I do miss the active suspension for climbing as the mini link bikes get locked out under chain tension. Minus the mentioned flex the bandit sounds awesome. I'm about your weight, maybe a little more, you never feel the rear end wander around, or get unsettled in hard turns? What length fork are you running?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Hey David, thanks for the input, well said and very helpful. I ride a 34t ring on the spitfire and get no wonkey feedback. However I do miss the active suspension for climbing as the mini link bikes get locked out under chain tension. Minus the mentioned flex the bandit sounds awesome. I'm about your weight, maybe a little more, you never feel the rear end wander around, or get unsettled in hard turns? What length fork are you running?
    I don't feel the rear wander around at all, but maybe I'm not hitting it as hard as you do. The only way you're going to be able to figure out if it works for you is to get a demo and go for a ride.

I run a 140mm fork and get 68 degree head angle, and I think it works pretty good for the intended use of this bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey JC,glad you got a chance to rock the Spitfire for awhile! So while the covert does not climb as good as the Bandit, the descending part is a blast! Also, the 142mm rear on the new Covert makes it mega stiff. Also, along those same lines the Bandit with the 142mm x 12 is stiff also....tough one for sure. Climbing more, Bandit, Descending more, Covert. My 2 cents anyways.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have also been looking at these to frames. I would like a little slacker head angle. Is a angle set the only right way to go or could I use a 160 mm lyrik (can get one cheap) without ruin the ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by haakan View Post
    I have also been looking at these to frames. I would like a little slacker head angle. Is a angle set the only right way to go or could I use a 160 mm lyrik (can get one cheap) without ruin the ride?
    I have an older Vengeance 160 on mine. Feels great to me.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    I have an older Vengeance 160 on mine. Feels great to me.
    I liked the Fox 140 (strange because i disliked the Fox 150) but I also stuck a Fox Talas 36 160 on the front and it slackened out hta to about 67. Felt fine but thought it best to stick to the OE geometry for review purposes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    I liked the Fox 140 (strange because i disliked the Fox 150) but I also stuck a Fox Talas 36 160 on the front and it slackened out hta to about 67. Felt fine but thought it best to stick to the OE geometry for review purposes
    How did it ride with the 36? Climbing? Downhill?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Climbing - felt a bit hamstrung with the tall front end so would put it to 130 on the way up.

Downhill - pretty good but not noticeably better.

In the end I thought the 140 was pretty good so stuck to it. Keep in mind I am 160 so pretty light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Hey all, looking to get a new trail bike and had a couple questions about the bandit.

-What would the head angle, and BB height be with a 160 fork and flush lower cup?
    -looking to get the head angle <67* while keeping the BB <13.75"

-Is it laterally stiff? As in grab the seat tube and yank the tire bock and forth, any flex?

-Does it squat down much climbing?

- Can it handle gnar?

Thanks for any input. Coming off a banshee spitfire from last season, and while I love the bike, geo etc, the pivots SUCK and the rockers are flexy noodles. Hear all the great ride reports, and how awesome transition is to deal with so want to see for myself....thanks!
    I was between the Spitfire and the Bandit and chose the Bandit due to the pivot issues people were having with the Spitfire. I wanted to get closer to the Spitfire geo though so I opted for an angleset and it has been great. I tried the stock geo for one ride and went right back. It wasn't horrible at 68 deg but it is awesome at 66-67. I have a reignX with a CCDB and Lyrik coil DH also and I've barely ridden it since November when I got the bandit.

I have the old dropout version of the bandit and there is some flex but not alot with a 10mm thru axle. I hear the 142 dropouts are stiffer yet. I have ridden the bike on practically every thing I used to ride with the reignX and out of all the trails I ride there are only 2-3 that I miss the ReignX.