mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Suppressor Build

Hello! Just thought i'd share since when I was looking at building a Suppressor along with a short list of other bikes, it was so hard to find much information or even posted builds.

• As far as components go, its a mix of SLX and Zee parts, mostly whatever could find that met my needs for cheap. All parts where transitioned from another bike.

• Marz 55cr - bomb proof fork and easy to work on. none of the BS from the current forks on the market.
    • hope/flows
    • Fox Van RC rear shock w/ 300lb spring

Its slighty oversprung at the moment, but I have a lighter coil on the way. I'm 140lbs w/o gear. 148-150 w/ gear. I can only achieve 30% sag.

Took it for a first proper ride day after Thanksgiving in Sedona. Shredded Hiline with some friends. Amazing! hooked on coil. I'll keep my monarch+ as backup once its back from warranty. That's another thread in it self. Playful, pops, coil is super predictable, which makes the overall package very forgiving. It climbs as good as other 6" bike on the market. Very fun bike!

http://i63.tinypic.com/2i71cp2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suppressor Build-2i71cp2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Great write up you are correct there is not much info on this frame thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks for posting, yeah unfortunately not too much information on the frame. Waiting for my neon teal frame to arrive and picking up the last few parts.

Did the frame come with a headset? If not, what did you end up going with??

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm not a huge fan of black bikes, and really wanted the teal, but black was all that was available at the time. You will have to buy a headset; I'm running Canecreek 44 zs/56 zs 40 series headset.

You'll enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    awesome bike. you are definitely right about not much info on the suppressor besides an NSMB review. I have a 26 trail bike with a bunch of nice parts and am looking at a replacement frame to do them justice. this is my number one, so i have a few questions for you if you dont mind.

what size frame did you go with and how tall are you? also, do you have a weight of the bike? i'm really torn between a large and medium(I am 6 1). I currently ride a large 6 point, but it is tiny by todays standards. I also have a large dw dhr, and would prefer my trail bike to not dwarf my dh bike in terms of reach/ett/wheelbase. the struggle is real! no where around here sells transition so i cant go sit on one

did you buy the frame new? if you bought it online, where did you get it? trying to find the best price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Whats up! Size-wise, this isn't going to help you much at all. LoL... I'm 5'5" and purchased a small. My advice would be to call or email the guys at Transition and get their opinion. I previously rode a slack steel hardtail and it had a slacker seat tube (72*), which I kind of felt stretched out in the saddle, but adapted to it. The Suppressor has a steeper seat tube, which feels up right, neutral, and comfortable to pedal, but the cockpit feels smaller than what I had imagined when studying the geo numbers on paper. Not stuffy or tight by any means, but less stretched out than what I was used to riding.

Probably the biggest adjustment for me was getting used to the seat tube angle. On my hardtail with the steeper ST, in situations when i'm climbing out of the saddle or slight descents, I could easily position myself to get the seat out of the way if I didn't feel like dropping the seat. With the upright ST, its very comfortable for climbing, but in some situations where i'm stomping out of the saddle or small descents, I feel like the seat is very much in the way of things. Not a huge deal, you just have to use your dropper post more to get the seat out of the way.

A good friend of mine purchased it for me direct from Transition. Hope that helps answer any questions you have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Track_Master View Post

A good friend of mine purchased it for me direct from Transition. Hope that helps answer any questions you have.
    Thanks for the quick reply! Hmm still so torn on sizing. Really wish I could find a way to at least sit on one. I suppose I'll shoot them an email and discuss that further. You say the cockpit felt a little smaller than expected, how does it feel size wise when you're not seated? i.e. descending, sprinting pedal moments, etc. And the way i've been interpreting the geo numbers, it seems the top tube is somewhat short and paired with a longish reach on all sizes. I'm new to this trail bike geo stuff, not really too sure what numbers suit me best or how they should relate to my DH bike.

also, if you dont mind me asking, did you pay the full retail(2k)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    As for sizing, you might refer to the Patrol threads, its essentially the same bike. It might be deceiving if you look at the TT length alone since the steeper seat tube and head tube angle will result in a shorter TT. Out of the saddle with the dropper down, the cockpit feels like what you'd expect from Transition. As I've mentioned before, the biggest adjustment for me was the seat tube angle. I went from riding a bike with 72* STA to 76* on the Suppressor. The cockpit may feel "smaller" when seated if you're like me and came off of a bike with a slack STA. The more upright position is supper comfy pedaling though! I run a 35mm stem still feels roomy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As for sizing, you might refer to the Patrol threads, its essentially the same bike. It might be deceiving if you look at the TT length alone since the steeper seat tube and head tube angle will result in a shorter TT. Out of the saddle with the dropper down, the cockpit feels like what you'd expect from Transition. As I've mentioned before, the biggest adjustment for me was the seat tube angle. I went from riding a bike with 72* STA to 76* on the Suppressor. The cockpit may feel "smaller" when seated if you're like me and came off of a bike with a slack STA. The more upright position is supper comfy pedaling though! I run a 35mm stem still feels roomy.
    I see, thank you for the reply. I did notice on the Transition site that the Patrol and Suppressor have almost the exact same measurements. I could probably find a Patrol at a lbs to sit on for sizing purposes. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Posted in a diff thread by another member and great read, http://www.transitionbikes.com/PDF/G...ETTvsReach.pdf

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Posted in a diff thread by another member and great read, http://www.transitionbikes.com/PDF/G...ETTvsReach.pdf
    link isnt working for me, can you post again?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Guess what finally arrived! Wasn't expecting it this early but here she is:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

As she sits now:
    - 2016 Transition Suppressor frame neon teal
    - Nukeproof Generator rims laced to Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
    - Fox Shox Talas 34
    - Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair
    - Raceface SixC cranks with a Raceface direct mount narrow wide 32 tooth chainring
    - Shimano Zee 1x10 drivetrain
    - Shimano Zee brakes, 203 front 180 rear
    - Rockshox Reverb Stealth dropper post
    - Chromag Trailmaster 2 saddle
    - Raceface BSA 30 bottom bracket
    - Nukeproof 50mm stem & 760mm bar
    - Cane Creek 40 ZS tapered headset
    - Shimano DX pedals
    - Custom fork, wheel and shock graphics by Slik Graphics

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Looking good! how are you enjoying it so far?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Looking good! how are you enjoying it so far?
    Just built it last night. Taking it out tomorrow for the maiden voyage.

mbtr member
    i have 500 miles on my xl. my maiden voyage was hiline too! i.m 6 3" and xl is perfect, although it's very long it balances nicely and is easy to jump. mine's 2*9 with zee brakes and a lyrik rc2dh. its a rad bike. my main complaint was bb height in the desert, but here in ca no problem. 650b fits.
    I like cheap stuff that works great and is very sturdy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hey whats up! Ya, i'm in PHX and have ridden hiline once with this build. Love that trail! I agree, I can't see I notice the wheelbase at all. For me it, it was getting used to the steeper seat tube, for some odd reason, but its so comfy on longer rides. You currently running 650b?

mbtr member
    Hey whats up! Ya, i'm in PHX and have ridden hiline once with this build. Love that trail! I agree, I can't see I notice the wheelbase at all. For me it, it was getting used to the steeper seat tube, for some odd reason, but its so comfy on longer rides. You currently running 650b?
    The wheelbase is just cuz it's so different. I rode my old FS the same as my long-travel hardtail that i usually ride. Now when i go from hardtail to suppressor i put my weight in the wrong spot in switchbacks and jumping requires really different timing and body language. It's a lot harder to switch between the two, and i haven't been pulling out the suppressor for shorter rides now that i'm home cuz it takes a bit to adapt.

---

No, i'm on 26," I test fit a 650b wheel. I bought my suppressor frame when i broke my canfield on an epic 3 month southwest riding trip. I struggled with the BB height in Sedona and especially on Goat Camp trail in the white tanks. I literally dragged the pregnant downtube over a rock on the descent, and step-ups that i'd do without thought required a sprint/pedalkick/prayer. (heck i'd drag pedals traversing slickrock!) Now that i'm back in california (i live down the road from santa cruz, ibis, and specialized) the BB height is RAD. No issues here in the forests and no-pedal downhills.

Some points for 650b suppressor-

The trail surface here in CA is smoother, it undulates rather than chops. Approach angles don't matter here, but a little larger wheel might smooth out the AZ rough a bit.

The best thing about the really low BB is how easy it is to drift. I had to be super on-point the drift the canfield in the woods, but it was cake on the loose rocks in AZ. Suppressor drifts everywhere easily; it can take a hit here.

There's so many square edged step-ups or drops you can nose down in arizona. I was constantly dragging my bash ring over stuff on descents or running out of breath maintaining a climbing speed where i could 'bounce' the suppressor over obstacles. There's so much grip on those larger rocks it was really nice just to winch myself up them and not have to think where my bash would bounce me while descending on the taller bike.

To me, 650 compatibility is a big reason to get the suppressor over the patrol- if an extra bit of wheel is useful than an extra bit of BB height is too. Suppressor is more versatile.
    ---

This sounds like a lot of whining, but i'm super delighted with the bike. It's way more capable than i am, the suspension/geo works awesome, i adapt to it quick (but going back is hard!), and it's comfortable at speeds that i am not.

mbtr member

Probably the biggest adjustment for me was getting used to the seat tube angle. On my hardtail with the steeper ST, in situations when i'm climbing out of the saddle or slight descents, I could easily position myself to get the seat out of the way if I didn't feel like dropping the seat. With the upright ST, its very comfortable for climbing, but in some situations where i'm stomping out of the saddle or small descents, I feel like the seat is very much in the way of things. Not a huge deal, you just have to use your dropper post more to get the seat out of the way.
    Interesting. I'm 6'3 and the super steep seat tube is incredibly easy to work around compared to the ~72* im accustomed to. I don't really know why, but full extension is fine for gradual descents/drops, and my 4" drop seatpost i was running until recently was plenty; i put the 5" one on cuz it was a better post.

To the 6'1 dude- get a large.

(i'm back in front of a computer, hence the replies to this thread)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey scottzg -- considering the Suppressor for 650b build. I have spent a year on a Patrol (size XL, like you i'm 6'3" and the fit is super), but considering the Suppressor for the extra BB height. No Suppressor frames around here.

Wondering if you could tell me if there's clearance for a 27.5" Minion in the back or other similarly chunky rubber? (Hans Dampff, Magic Mary, etc..)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thought I would add my build to the thread.

2016 S in black - not a fan of the monarch plus though so will be changing it to either a CCDB coil or maybe a float X2

XT crank, 11sp XT shifter, cassette, mech and KMC 11-93 chain
    Spank spike vibrocore 800mm - easton haven 55mm stem - hope headset,
    Spank oozy 295 trail bead wheels - F der baron projekt, R HR2 2.4
    Saint brakes 203mm F&R ice tech rotors
    Reverb stealth 125mm WTB volt saddle
    Ergon GE1 slim grips
    Pike 160mm
    Time MX6 pedals

we are a family of trannies, my suppressor, my son's ripcord and my bro in law's patrol