mtbr member
    Feb 2005

SRAM X9 Type 2 der on build kits - knocking issue

Does anyone else that built a newer Transition with the SRAM XP Type 2 rear der have a knocking and slight binding issue when the cage rotates?

Mine is awful. It makes a knocking sound that reverberates through the rear end making it sound like a bad bearing.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I have that der on my Covert 29 I just built and it's worked fine so far, heard of this issue tho so maybe it's a problem from earlier made units?

BTW, the cage lock feature is nice, makes getting the wheel on/off much easier. That's always been a PITA with Sram der's in the past due to spring tension

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Does anyone else that built a newer Transition with the SRAM XP Type 2 rear der have a knocking and slight binding issue when the cage rotates?

Mine is awful. It makes a knocking sound that reverberates through the rear end making it sound like a bad bearing.
    Yes. Mine does this. It has strong stiction and when the suspension compresses and chain growth happens it pops loose loud enough to hear. Took me a bit to track it down but I am unconcerned now that I found the source.

on a routine expedition
    I have a Type 2 that does this (knock) on my DH bike. The one on my trail bike has been silent so far. I assumed it was due to my DH bike having more chain growth as the suspension moved through its stroke. I guess this may not be the case if you guys are having this issue on your trail bikes.