Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    With the Cane Creek or FSA headsets the taper on the bearing is large enough for this...

Cut a split in the race with a hacksaw (so it looks like the compression ring up top). Then it installs and removes by hand. The tapered contact of the bearing squeezes the race down on the steerer once you preload the bearings. I can't reccomend that for a Chris King because they (at least they used to) have a much smaller tapered contact.

Works great! I do it all the time...
    Well, it is a cane creek headset so I may have to give this a try.

mtbr member
    Ok, I got the headrace on but now I am having trouble with the Marz 44 and the hope 15mm front hub. The thru axle works perfectly without the wheel in the fork and the thru axle slides nicely thru the hub but I cannot get the thru axle to go cleanly thru the hub with the wheel in the fork. I do have to pry the fork legs apart very slightly to put the wheel in ... so maybe it is not aligning right...

Suggestions?
    Last edited by noosa2; 12-18-2011 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    ^ Did you resolve the rear axle issue?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ Did you resolve the rear axle issue?
    Yeah, had to take the grub screw totally out. This fork/hub combo is driving me nuts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Try to grease the TA- I have to do this a few times a year on mine or else it's a bear to slide through

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Dudes. Got to ride it yesterday ( finally ) and within the first 100 yards I knew they hit this bike perfectly. I've worked in the industry for about 5 years now and have time on 29ers from Cannondale, Salsa (which I own), Specialized and Gary Fisher. I can't tell you how spot on the geometry is on this bike. Of course, it's "different" than most offerings out there but I think we are all here on the Transition forum because that's what we want. I have a go fast, racey xc 29er (SS). If I wanted a geared racey go fast 29er, I would have thrown on some spandex and bought me a Flash or Superfly or some other ungodly expensive carbon bike.

Real quick because it's past my bedtime but some quick thoughts:

Definitely go wide bars, short stem on this. I'm running 60mm stem and 711 bars. On a 29er, it makes a world of difference.

Climbs like a friggin' goat.

I'm 5'9" and 30" inseam...pretty average dude. Frame size is a medium and I feel very balanced on the frame. Balance of pedaling efficiency and slay-ability. This bike is so flickable in the corners.

I live in the southeast, mostly ride trails that have short, punchy climbs and tight radius turns with quick descents. Lots of trail in a tiny space. Basically, the southeast is PERFECT for a 29er. Out of the saddle climbing, did not feel like I had to oversteer in the corners ( a common trait with most 29ers I've ridden and have owned )...this bike excelled at everything.

Yes, only one ride on it but I feel I can make a pretty clear judgement based on my experience with several other brands. If you have ANY reservations about being on a 29er, don't. At least not with this bike. I hear people b*tching about 29 vs 26, blah blah blah. You don't have to be some ball huggin', spandex wearing, Hammer Nutrition consuming, heart rate monitoring d-bag to be on a 29er. Granted I do all but one of those things when I'm on my singlespeed ( spandex, helllz no ) I also like to ride the piss out of a hardtail.

Buy this bike. Trust me. Steal is real.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    ^ Nice review!!!

And noosa, post some pics when you're done.
    konahonzo

mtbr member

And noosa, post some pics when you're done.
    Will do - but it won't be until mid-January. I returned my Marz 44 to hucknroll today and I'll need to get a replacement. If I go the used route on the fork I may get it built a little earlier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Got my first ride on the bike today. A 2 hour xc (late) lunch loop that I'm pretty familiar with....

No real comments until I get more saddle time and feel like the bike is dialed for me. That said, here are some pics.

Specialized purgatory 2.4's with plenty of room in the frame - although the LG1 chainguide on my bike is having some rubbing issues when I corner.

You can see how close it comes to the chainguide without any flex of the tire.

Also plenty of room for the 44 ti 'zocchi fork.

Maybe one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen..I love LOVE this bike..The Blue just works, and I've always been a big fan of the pannel decals..Wish the CS lenth was a tad shorter but I think Transition has a sure winner with this bad boy (and the Bandit 29er as well)...CF.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So anymore ride reports?? Thinking about scooping up a XL frame in a couple weeks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by louis.routier View Post
    So anymore ride reports?? Thinking about scooping up a XL frame in a couple weeks...
    Crusing the TransAm Downhill | Liberty Sports Magazine
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the link Eurospek!

So far its been nothing but positive feedback on the TransAM 29r. Now to figure out what the build will be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Pair of sweet Trans-Am 29'ers from the guys at North Shore Bike Shop.

mtbr member
    Nice finds! Can't say I'm a huge fan of that new red. Looks pretty dark.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    That new "Blood Red" is wicked nice IMHO!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That picture does not do the bike justice. It's a wicked deep rich colour.

WNC Native
    I like the blue, but blue is used way too much. That Blood Red is awesome!!!!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I like the blue, but blue is used way too much. That Blood Red is awesome!!!!
    Another version of Blood Red.

It has arrived - TransAM (pics)

That looks .
    konahonzo

WNC Native
    Another version of Blood Red.

It has arrived - TransAM (pics)

That looks .
    I like the above 29er color better. Different strokes for different folkes, that's why they offer multiple colors.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looks like I'm going to have to go give Matt a visit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on a 2012 revelation.
    Good call.

Which model?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Will do - but it won't be until mid-January. I returned my Marz 44 to hucknroll today and I'll need to get a replacement. If I go the used route on the fork I may get it built a little earlier.
    Just pulled the trigger on a 2012 revelation.

mtbr member
    Good call.

Which model?
    RCT3 with 2 position travel and Maxle.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    I have to say this bike rocks!!!!! TransAM 29er you have the best of both worlds. Good all around bike for off season fun. I have owned and demoed many 29ers and this bike just puts a smile on my face up and down the mt.
    If you looking for a great well balance mt. bike look no further.....ride on people....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    got any thoughts / comparison to the 26in TransAM?
    I LOVE my 26in version - wondering what the real deal comparo verdict is?

Just roll it......
    Jayoutside.

My 26'er is going up for sale later this week. That's how much I'm loving the 29'er version of this bike. For the record, they are built up differently....so it's not a true apples to apples comparison. My 26 TA was built with a burlier wheels / fork and as a singlespeed.

The primary thing I notice (sounding like a 29'er zealot!) is how much the bigger hoop helps momentum over rooty/rocky terrain. Of course, it's a hardtail, so there's still a lot of finesse required, but it does allow for a bit more room for error on line selection.

I rode it down a couple of jump trails the other day and I'm feeling comfortable on it with small to mid sized jumps, but haven't really tried to get bigger air on it yet. I have also hit two 4-6 foot drops on it (for locals: the rock drop on SST and the first ladder drop on Evo) and the bike, wheels and fork all felt good on those. The other big advantage for me is the ability to run my KS post which means I'm riding it faster through undulating terrain on our more xc type of trails.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Jayoutside.

My 26'er is going up for sale later this week. That's how much I'm loving the 29'er version of this bike. For the record, they are built up differently....so it's not a true apples to apples comparison. My 26 TA was built with a burlier wheels / fork and as a singlespeed.

The primary thing I notice (sounding like a 29'er zealot!) is how much the bigger hoop helps momentum over rooty/rocky terrain. Of course, it's a hardtail, so there's still a lot of finesse required, but it does allow for a bit more room for error on line selection.

I rode it down a couple of jump trails the other day and I'm feeling comfortable on it with small to mid sized jumps, but haven't really tried to get bigger air on it yet. I have also hit two 4-6 foot drops on it (for locals: the rock drop on SST and the first ladder drop on Evo) and the bike, wheels and fork all felt good on those. The other big advantage for me is the ability to run my KS post which means I'm riding it faster through undulating terrain on our more xc type of trails.

Cheers,
    EB
    Look out!

The Tyranical Teabagger
    29er is legit. Buy it. I came from the 26" as well (albeit, maybe 100 miles on it total) and won't look back. I just need to sell the frame so I can pay for this thing!
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

29 TO LIFE

Geometry question

Is the geometry bases on a 120mm fork or 140mm?

The Tyranical Teabagger
    120mm
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

29 TO LIFE
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone have much time on jumps, drops, and pretty aggressive downhill with this bike? I've been looking around for an aggressive hardtail that could handle some pretty aggressive downhill type riding and be comfortable in the air. like something i could take to lift served riding like trestle or wherever. at first i wasnt even considering 29ers. but now it seems like people are really starting to figure out how to make 29ers fun.

anyway, ive been looking at bikes like the 26 trans am, evil soverign, etc.. the one thing that turns me off of these bikes is that they seem like they could be sluggish on climbs or flat/rolling terrain. and i really want something i can really haul on when it comes to more flat terrain, and still hit airs and play around. the aggressive 26ers seem more like dj bikes than aggressive xc bikes.

i know the trans-am 29er isnt exactly light. but comparing it to other steel 29ers can it keep up? and most of all how does it handle really aggressive riding?

Just roll it......
    I know some guys ride hardtails at bike parks, but it's not my cup o' tea. If I'm gonna be taking a lift up the hill, I may as well be on my DH bike or at the very least, my 6x6. Not saying it can't be done (Jinya Nishiwaki slays it on his Cromag), but my back, ankles and knees thank me for riding my big bike in the park.

As for "how steep" or types of jumping you can do on these bikes, I think the limiter is the rider and not the bike.

EB

mtbr member
    Jayoutside.

Cheers,
    EB
    Your Transam looks fantastic!..May I ask you how tall are you? I'm 5,7 and I wonder if I would be better on a small o a medium..The 22" top tube of the small size looks like to be longer than that, by watching your Transam pics. I mean , it doesnt look like a "small" size bike..

mtbr member
    I finally got the TransAm together and got in a quick shake down ride.
    Some quick observations:
    -The bike likes to be launched over trail chatter
    - The 140mm Revelation is a great match for the frame (I still need to play with pressure)
    - The chain and seatstays have room for a massive tire.
    - Transition could cut 1/4 inch off the chainstay length and there would still be lots of room
    - I need to bleed the rear brake before I ride it again
    After a few more rides I'll report back.
    Last edited by noosa2; 01-26-2012 at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    What, no pics?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I finally got the TransAm together and got in a quick shake down ride.
    Some quick observations:
    -The bike likes to be launched over trail chatter
    - The 140mm Revelation is a great match for the frame (I still need to play with pressure)
    - The chain and seatstays have room for a massive tire.
    - Transition could cut 1/4 inch off the chainstay length and there would still be lots of room
    - I need to bleed the rear brake before I ride it again
    After a few more rides I'll report back.
    It's all about the FD and tire... we opted not to go shorter to maintain FD compatibility. And honestly... it rides sweet with the CS length it has!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    It's all about the FD and tire... we opted not to go shorter to maintain FD compatibility. And honestly... it rides sweet with the CS length it has!
    That's why I choose the TransAm over the rest

Got a short ride in today on a loop that I'm very familiar with and noticed 2 things: - it manuals effortlessly and the rear end is really stiff with that thru axle.

mtbr member
    What, no pics?
    Pics are on the camera but the camera and computer are not getting along

mtbr member
    How much abuse can this frame take? 15 ft jumps? 8 ft. drops?

Fake it 'til you make it

Respect

I love to see how you FR guys are adopting this.

I ride a Yelli, but you'll get the gist with the TA29. Nice frame, but I prefer AL.

Some tips for you crossovers:

-Learn to ride standing up. All the time. Slam your seat and forget about it. Those big wheels like to stay rolling. Standup riding forces you to go much faster and PUMP EVERYTHING. Those big wheels LOVE it. You will too, if you commit. I see other riders sitting through trails now and think, WTF, who sits when playing sports?

-Run the shortest stem and widest bars you can. Turn this bike into the BMX that turned you into the obsessed bigkid that you are. The most b*tchin' 29ers are modeled after DJ bikes.

-You guys are going to get air with these bikes. 36 Stan's Flows are the sh*t.

Peace and thanks for signing up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi, I´m looking for an picture of the horizontal/sliding dropouts an the TransAM29.
    Would like to know if I can mount my Rohloff...

thank´s!
    othu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by othu View Post
    Hi, I´m looking for an picture of the horizontal/sliding dropouts an the TransAM29.
    Would like to know if I can mount my Rohloff...

thank´s!
    othu
    They are in the Tr web store -

Transition Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thank´s

the TBC - TransAM Single-Speed Chaintugs are compatible with the 2012 sliding dropouts?

othu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    8 ft drops on 29er hardtail?
    konahonzo

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    I suppose that depends more on the landing and the rider than the bike. Certainly, I wouldn't hit either of those without a proper transition (on any bike).

My back aches just thinking about an 8 foot drop on my hardtail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by othu View Post
    thank´s

the TBC - TransAM Single-Speed Chaintugs are compatible with the 2012 sliding dropouts?

othu
    They do work... but they aren't designed to work together, so the contact between the chaintug and the back of the dropout is pretty small.

Because the bolt on horizontal dropouts are alloy, your axle nuts should bite in quite well and no tugs should be neccesary.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Transition Bikes,
    thanks for the explanation!
    My Rohloff is a QR type (i use a 135mm Hope quick release) without axle nuts... in my opinion I need chaintugs in this case, isn´t it?
    Regards
    othu

mtbr member
    Size Small anyone?

konahonzo

mtbr member
    Size Small anyone?

nice!..where did you get that pic?..I'm 5,7..I wonder if would it be too small for me?..

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast