Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So Where's the Trans AM 29er?

165K views 546 replies 135 participants last post by  CannondaleF9 
#1 ·
I miss my Trans AM. How 'bout a 29er version? Eh boys?

#168 ·
Just looked up the Saint shifter pod and I am now wondering why it even comes in 3x9 when there is no Saint 3x crankset. I know that FDs limit the front shifter but why make something that the group can't even do? I also understand that you can mix manufacturers' groups (Yes, I am showing how limited my knowledge about bike components can be but that's why I read these forums to expand my knowledge). Can someone explain it so I don't just sit here and speculate it was a cost cutting measure? And I won't derail TB's thread anymore.

#173 ·
Thank you...I'm that guy who has to have a nice looking bike. Matching parts and $hit...colors matter to me. I should have a vagina just for saying that.

At first I was not stoked about only being able to get Pewter. Sam at Transition said it was a hot looking color and he wasn't kidding. I just got a blue one for one of my customers and it's pretty awesome too and was my first choice but I'm glad I ended up with this.

#175 ·
Yeah, I don't get it...it was fine when I rode it on my 26" TA in October. Bearings feel like they are seizing up and my spare, crunchy as hell. It would drive me bat$hit crazy.

#196 ·
140mm....got the crazy deal off of hucknroll. Couldn't pass it up and then needed a frame to match the fork! :p

Build is as follows:
Size Small TA-29'er
Transition T-Bar 30 bars
Thomson 70mm stem
FSA headset
Juicy 7 brakes
Marzocchi 44 ti fork 140mm (tapered / qr15)
Stylo cranks (with shimano spd pedals) and 32 tooth chainring
LG1 chainguide
X9 derailleur and shifter / 11-34 cassette
KS 5" dropper post
Transition AM saddle
Transition Revolution 29'er wheels
Specialized Purgatory 2.4 tires.

Weight: No idea....guessing 30'ish?

#202 · (Edited)
Ok, I got the headrace on but now I am having trouble with the Marz 44 and the hope 15mm front hub. The thru axle works perfectly without the wheel in the fork and the thru axle slides nicely thru the hub but I cannot get the thru axle to go cleanly thru the hub with the wheel in the fork. I do have to pry the fork legs apart very slightly to put the wheel in ... so maybe it is not aligning right...

Suggestions?

#206 ·
Dudes. Got to ride it yesterday ( finally ) and within the first 100 yards I knew they hit this bike perfectly. I've worked in the industry for about 5 years now and have time on 29ers from Cannondale, Salsa (which I own), Specialized and Gary Fisher. I can't tell you how spot on the geometry is on this bike. Of course, it's "different" than most offerings out there but I think we are all here on the Transition forum because that's what we want. I have a go fast, racey xc 29er (SS). If I wanted a geared racey go fast 29er, I would have thrown on some spandex and bought me a Flash or Superfly or some other ungodly expensive carbon bike.

Real quick because it's past my bedtime but some quick thoughts:

Definitely go wide bars, short stem on this. I'm running 60mm stem and 711 bars. On a 29er, it makes a world of difference.

Climbs like a friggin' goat.

I'm 5'9" and 30" inseam...pretty average dude. Frame size is a medium and I feel very balanced on the frame. Balance of pedaling efficiency and slay-ability. This bike is so flickable in the corners.

I live in the southeast, mostly ride trails that have short, punchy climbs and tight radius turns with quick descents. Lots of trail in a tiny space. Basically, the southeast is PERFECT for a 29er. Out of the saddle climbing, did not feel like I had to oversteer in the corners ( a common trait with most 29ers I've ridden and have owned )...this bike excelled at everything.

Yes, only one ride on it but I feel I can make a pretty clear judgement based on my experience with several other brands. If you have ANY reservations about being on a 29er, don't. At least not with this bike. I hear people b*tching about 29 vs 26, blah blah blah. You don't have to be some ball huggin', spandex wearing, Hammer Nutrition consuming, heart rate monitoring d-bag to be on a 29er. Granted I do all but one of those things when I'm on my singlespeed ( spandex, helllz no ) I also like to ride the piss out of a hardtail.

Buy this bike. Trust me. Steal is real.

#224 ·
I have to say this bike rocks!!!!! TransAM 29er you have the best of both worlds. Good all around bike for off season fun. I have owned and demoed many 29ers and this bike just puts a smile on my face up and down the mt.
If you looking for a great well balance mt. bike look no further.....ride on people....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.