Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    With the Cane Creek or FSA headsets the taper on the bearing is large enough for this...

Cut a split in the race with a hacksaw (so it looks like the compression ring up top). Then it installs and removes by hand. The tapered contact of the bearing squeezes the race down on the steerer once you preload the bearings. I can't reccomend that for a Chris King because they (at least they used to) have a much smaller tapered contact.

Works great! I do it all the time...
    Well, it is a cane creek headset so I may have to give this a try.

mtbr member
    Ok, I got the headrace on but now I am having trouble with the Marz 44 and the hope 15mm front hub. The thru axle works perfectly without the wheel in the fork and the thru axle slides nicely thru the hub but I cannot get the thru axle to go cleanly thru the hub with the wheel in the fork. I do have to pry the fork legs apart very slightly to put the wheel in ... so maybe it is not aligning right...

Suggestions?
    Last edited by noosa2; 12-18-2011 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    ^ Did you resolve the rear axle issue?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ Did you resolve the rear axle issue?
    Yeah, had to take the grub screw totally out. This fork/hub combo is driving me nuts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Try to grease the TA- I have to do this a few times a year on mine or else it's a bear to slide through

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Dudes. Got to ride it yesterday ( finally ) and within the first 100 yards I knew they hit this bike perfectly. I've worked in the industry for about 5 years now and have time on 29ers from Cannondale, Salsa (which I own), Specialized and Gary Fisher. I can't tell you how spot on the geometry is on this bike. Of course, it's "different" than most offerings out there but I think we are all here on the Transition forum because that's what we want. I have a go fast, racey xc 29er (SS). If I wanted a geared racey go fast 29er, I would have thrown on some spandex and bought me a Flash or Superfly or some other ungodly expensive carbon bike.

Real quick because it's past my bedtime but some quick thoughts:

Definitely go wide bars, short stem on this. I'm running 60mm stem and 711 bars. On a 29er, it makes a world of difference.

Climbs like a friggin' goat.

I'm 5'9" and 30" inseam...pretty average dude. Frame size is a medium and I feel very balanced on the frame. Balance of pedaling efficiency and slay-ability. This bike is so flickable in the corners.

I live in the southeast, mostly ride trails that have short, punchy climbs and tight radius turns with quick descents. Lots of trail in a tiny space. Basically, the southeast is PERFECT for a 29er. Out of the saddle climbing, did not feel like I had to oversteer in the corners ( a common trait with most 29ers I've ridden and have owned )...this bike excelled at everything.

Yes, only one ride on it but I feel I can make a pretty clear judgement based on my experience with several other brands. If you have ANY reservations about being on a 29er, don't. At least not with this bike. I hear people b*tching about 29 vs 26, blah blah blah. You don't have to be some ball huggin', spandex wearing, Hammer Nutrition consuming, heart rate monitoring d-bag to be on a 29er. Granted I do all but one of those things when I'm on my singlespeed ( spandex, helllz no ) I also like to ride the piss out of a hardtail.

Buy this bike. Trust me. Steal is real.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    ^ Nice review!!!

And noosa, post some pics when you're done.
    konahonzo

mtbr member

And noosa, post some pics when you're done.
    Will do - but it won't be until mid-January. I returned my Marz 44 to hucknroll today and I'll need to get a replacement. If I go the used route on the fork I may get it built a little earlier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Got my first ride on the bike today. A 2 hour xc (late) lunch loop that I'm pretty familiar with....

No real comments until I get more saddle time and feel like the bike is dialed for me. That said, here are some pics.

Specialized purgatory 2.4's with plenty of room in the frame - although the LG1 chainguide on my bike is having some rubbing issues when I corner.

You can see how close it comes to the chainguide without any flex of the tire.

Also plenty of room for the 44 ti 'zocchi fork.

Maybe one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen..I love LOVE this bike..The Blue just works, and I've always been a big fan of the pannel decals..Wish the CS lenth was a tad shorter but I think Transition has a sure winner with this bad boy (and the Bandit 29er as well)...CF.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So anymore ride reports?? Thinking about scooping up a XL frame in a couple weeks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by louis.routier View Post
    So anymore ride reports?? Thinking about scooping up a XL frame in a couple weeks...
    Crusing the TransAm Downhill | Liberty Sports Magazine
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the link Eurospek!

So far its been nothing but positive feedback on the TransAM 29r. Now to figure out what the build will be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Pair of sweet Trans-Am 29'ers from the guys at North Shore Bike Shop.

mtbr member
    Nice finds! Can't say I'm a huge fan of that new red. Looks pretty dark.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    That new "Blood Red" is wicked nice IMHO!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That picture does not do the bike justice. It's a wicked deep rich colour.

WNC Native
    I like the blue, but blue is used way too much. That Blood Red is awesome!!!!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I like the blue, but blue is used way too much. That Blood Red is awesome!!!!
    Another version of Blood Red.

It has arrived - TransAM (pics)

That looks .
    konahonzo

WNC Native
    Another version of Blood Red.

It has arrived - TransAM (pics)

That looks .
    I like the above 29er color better. Different strokes for different folkes, that's why they offer multiple colors.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looks like I'm going to have to go give Matt a visit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on a 2012 revelation.
    Good call.

Which model?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Will do - but it won't be until mid-January. I returned my Marz 44 to hucknroll today and I'll need to get a replacement. If I go the used route on the fork I may get it built a little earlier.
    Just pulled the trigger on a 2012 revelation.

mtbr member
    Good call.

Which model?
    RCT3 with 2 position travel and Maxle.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    I have to say this bike rocks!!!!! TransAM 29er you have the best of both worlds. Good all around bike for off season fun. I have owned and demoed many 29ers and this bike just puts a smile on my face up and down the mt.
    If you looking for a great well balance mt. bike look no further.....ride on people....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    got any thoughts / comparison to the 26in TransAM?
    I LOVE my 26in version - wondering what the real deal comparo verdict is?

Just roll it......
    Jayoutside.

My 26'er is going up for sale later this week. That's how much I'm loving the 29'er version of this bike. For the record, they are built up differently....so it's not a true apples to apples comparison. My 26 TA was built with a burlier wheels / fork and as a singlespeed.

The primary thing I notice (sounding like a 29'er zealot!) is how much the bigger hoop helps momentum over rooty/rocky terrain. Of course, it's a hardtail, so there's still a lot of finesse required, but it does allow for a bit more room for error on line selection.

I rode it down a couple of jump trails the other day and I'm feeling comfortable on it with small to mid sized jumps, but haven't really tried to get bigger air on it yet. I have also hit two 4-6 foot drops on it (for locals: the rock drop on SST and the first ladder drop on Evo) and the bike, wheels and fork all felt good on those. The other big advantage for me is the ability to run my KS post which means I'm riding it faster through undulating terrain on our more xc type of trails.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Jayoutside.

My 26'er is going up for sale later this week. That's how much I'm loving the 29'er version of this bike. For the record, they are built up differently....so it's not a true apples to apples comparison. My 26 TA was built with a burlier wheels / fork and as a singlespeed.

The primary thing I notice (sounding like a 29'er zealot!) is how much the bigger hoop helps momentum over rooty/rocky terrain. Of course, it's a hardtail, so there's still a lot of finesse required, but it does allow for a bit more room for error on line selection.

I rode it down a couple of jump trails the other day and I'm feeling comfortable on it with small to mid sized jumps, but haven't really tried to get bigger air on it yet. I have also hit two 4-6 foot drops on it (for locals: the rock drop on SST and the first ladder drop on Evo) and the bike, wheels and fork all felt good on those. The other big advantage for me is the ability to run my KS post which means I'm riding it faster through undulating terrain on our more xc type of trails.

Cheers,
    EB
    Look out!

The Tyranical Teabagger
    29er is legit. Buy it. I came from the 26" as well (albeit, maybe 100 miles on it total) and won't look back. I just need to sell the frame so I can pay for this thing!
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

29 TO LIFE

Geometry question

Is the geometry bases on a 120mm fork or 140mm?

The Tyranical Teabagger
    120mm
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

29 TO LIFE
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone have much time on jumps, drops, and pretty aggressive downhill with this bike? I've been looking around for an aggressive hardtail that could handle some pretty aggressive downhill type riding and be comfortable in the air. like something i could take to lift served riding like trestle or wherever. at first i wasnt even considering 29ers. but now it seems like people are really starting to figure out how to make 29ers fun.

anyway, ive been looking at bikes like the 26 trans am, evil soverign, etc.. the one thing that turns me off of these bikes is that they seem like they could be sluggish on climbs or flat/rolling terrain. and i really want something i can really haul on when it comes to more flat terrain, and still hit airs and play around. the aggressive 26ers seem more like dj bikes than aggressive xc bikes.

i know the trans-am 29er isnt exactly light. but comparing it to other steel 29ers can it keep up? and most of all how does it handle really aggressive riding?

Just roll it......
    I know some guys ride hardtails at bike parks, but it's not my cup o' tea. If I'm gonna be taking a lift up the hill, I may as well be on my DH bike or at the very least, my 6x6. Not saying it can't be done (Jinya Nishiwaki slays it on his Cromag), but my back, ankles and knees thank me for riding my big bike in the park.

As for "how steep" or types of jumping you can do on these bikes, I think the limiter is the rider and not the bike.

EB

mtbr member
    Jayoutside.

Cheers,
    EB
    Your Transam looks fantastic!..May I ask you how tall are you? I'm 5,7 and I wonder if I would be better on a small o a medium..The 22" top tube of the small size looks like to be longer than that, by watching your Transam pics. I mean , it doesnt look like a "small" size bike..

mtbr member
    I finally got the TransAm together and got in a quick shake down ride.
    Some quick observations:
    -The bike likes to be launched over trail chatter
    - The 140mm Revelation is a great match for the frame (I still need to play with pressure)
    - The chain and seatstays have room for a massive tire.
    - Transition could cut 1/4 inch off the chainstay length and there would still be lots of room
    - I need to bleed the rear brake before I ride it again
    After a few more rides I'll report back.
    Last edited by noosa2; 01-26-2012 at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    What, no pics?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I finally got the TransAm together and got in a quick shake down ride.
    Some quick observations:
    -The bike likes to be launched over trail chatter
    - The 140mm Revelation is a great match for the frame (I still need to play with pressure)
    - The chain and seatstays have room for a massive tire.
    - Transition could cut 1/4 inch off the chainstay length and there would still be lots of room
    - I need to bleed the rear brake before I ride it again
    After a few more rides I'll report back.
    It's all about the FD and tire... we opted not to go shorter to maintain FD compatibility. And honestly... it rides sweet with the CS length it has!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    It's all about the FD and tire... we opted not to go shorter to maintain FD compatibility. And honestly... it rides sweet with the CS length it has!
    That's why I choose the TransAm over the rest

Got a short ride in today on a loop that I'm very familiar with and noticed 2 things: - it manuals effortlessly and the rear end is really stiff with that thru axle.

mtbr member
    What, no pics?
    Pics are on the camera but the camera and computer are not getting along

mtbr member
    How much abuse can this frame take? 15 ft jumps? 8 ft. drops?

Fake it 'til you make it

Respect

I love to see how you FR guys are adopting this.

I ride a Yelli, but you'll get the gist with the TA29. Nice frame, but I prefer AL.

Some tips for you crossovers:

-Learn to ride standing up. All the time. Slam your seat and forget about it. Those big wheels like to stay rolling. Standup riding forces you to go much faster and PUMP EVERYTHING. Those big wheels LOVE it. You will too, if you commit. I see other riders sitting through trails now and think, WTF, who sits when playing sports?

-Run the shortest stem and widest bars you can. Turn this bike into the BMX that turned you into the obsessed bigkid that you are. The most b*tchin' 29ers are modeled after DJ bikes.

-You guys are going to get air with these bikes. 36 Stan's Flows are the sh*t.

Peace and thanks for signing up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi, I´m looking for an picture of the horizontal/sliding dropouts an the TransAM29.
    Would like to know if I can mount my Rohloff...

thank´s!
    othu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by othu View Post
    Hi, I´m looking for an picture of the horizontal/sliding dropouts an the TransAM29.
    Would like to know if I can mount my Rohloff...

thank´s!
    othu
    They are in the Tr web store -

Transition Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thank´s

the TBC - TransAM Single-Speed Chaintugs are compatible with the 2012 sliding dropouts?

othu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    8 ft drops on 29er hardtail?
    konahonzo

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    I suppose that depends more on the landing and the rider than the bike. Certainly, I wouldn't hit either of those without a proper transition (on any bike).

My back aches just thinking about an 8 foot drop on my hardtail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thank´s

the TBC - TransAM Single-Speed Chaintugs are compatible with the 2012 sliding dropouts?

othu
    They do work... but they aren't designed to work together, so the contact between the chaintug and the back of the dropout is pretty small.

Because the bolt on horizontal dropouts are alloy, your axle nuts should bite in quite well and no tugs should be neccesary.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Transition Bikes,
    thanks for the explanation!
    My Rohloff is a QR type (i use a 135mm Hope quick release) without axle nuts... in my opinion I need chaintugs in this case, isn´t it?
    Regards
    othu

mtbr member
    Size Small anyone?

konahonzo

mtbr member
    Size Small anyone?

nice!..where did you get that pic?..I'm 5,7..I wonder if would it be too small for me?..

Just roll it......
    Jingleman,

I'm 5'8" and I'm on a small with a 70mm stem. FWIW, I do like shorter cockpits, but this is fitting me great.

EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleman
    nice!..where did you get that pic?..I'm 5,7..I wonder if would it be too small for me?..
    Eastside Cycles Gallery - Customers Bikes via Google Image Search
    konahonzo

mtbr member

Just finished mine

I just finished building my Trans Am 29er. Haven't ridden it yet. Hopefully it'll stop raining by my weekend on Tuesday.

Trans Am 29er size Large
    Fox 34 lowered to 120mm
    Race Face bar
    Aka Stem
    XT 10 Speed Shifters
    XT cranks
    XT rear and SLX front Derailleurs
    XT cassette
    Thomson Post
    WTB saddle
    Straitline Pedals
    SLX brakes
    Hope Pro2 eve Hubs on Stan's Flows

WNC Native
    Sharp bike!!! I'm itching to sell of my Yelli frame and dive on one of these Pewter ones.

mtbr member
    chromejesus, that looks sweet. I finally got my camera to talk to my computer again so here's mine.

This pic of the seatstay is not really clear but there is lots of room with a 2.35" FR3 - the chainstay has even more room.

It is built pretty burly and comes in at 30lbs even.

mtbr member
    As much as I like my pewter frame, that blue with a black fork and wheels looks wicked!!!
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Hi, anyone tried a 100mm fork on this frame? How would it ride? Might need to fit my WB IMV 100 until I get a 120mm fork. Currently running Zion's 29er rigid fork on my Zion 737 29er frame. btw, would this rigid fork be ok on this frame? TIA.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    can someone explain me how the adjustment of the rear brake with sliding dropouts works?
    is the brake moveable, too?

mtbr member
    can someone explain me how the adjustment of the rear brake with sliding dropouts works?
    is the brake moveable, too?
    Transition posted this somewhere...

According to them, the sliding dropouts have a short adjustment length. This it will not affect rotor to brake pad contact enough to cause any problems.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    A small 1-2mm spacer under the caliper may help with clearance as well.

I'm with stupid
    Where can I order a large frame from?

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Where can I order a large frame from?

I tapped that
    Give these guys a call. They always hook it up!!

Drop n' Zone Mountian Bike Gear

konahonzo

mtbr member
    give these guys a call. They always hook it up!!

drop n' zone mountian bike gear

yes!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chromejesus View Post
    I just finished building my Trans Am 29er. Haven't ridden it yet. Hopefully it'll stop raining by my weekend on Tuesday.

Trans Am 29er size Large
    Fox 34 lowered to 120mm
    Race Face bar
    Aka Stem
    XT 10 Speed Shifters
    XT cranks
    XT cassette
    Thomson Post
    WTB saddle
    Straitline Pedals
    SLX brakes

Why did you lower the fork to 120mm? Are you concerned the geometry is off with the 140mm fork? I ask because that's what I am planning to get.
    Does anyone have experience with a zero stack headset on this frame? It would help to keep the front down with a 140mm fork, but I winder whether the Fox F29 would still clear the down tube.

dK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs View Post
    Hi, anyone tried a 100mm fork on this frame? How would it ride? Might need to fit my WB IMV 100 until I get a 120mm fork. Currently running Zion's 29er rigid fork on my Zion 737 29er frame. btw, would this rigid fork be ok on this frame? TIA.
    I have ridden few miles with my fork set at 110mm but I prefer the fork set at 140mm. You could get by with a 100 mm fork but I think the bike is such a blast to ride downhill that you may eventually want something with more travel.

mtbr member
    Hi noosa2, thanks, I ultimately want to get a 120mm or more fork, just that I only have a 100mm on hand currently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zyclopath View Post
    Why did you lower the fork to 120mm? Are you concerned the geometry is off with the 140mm fork? I ask because that's what I am planning to get.
    Does anyone have experience with a zero stack headset on this frame? It would help to keep the front down with a 140mm fork, but I winder whether the Fox F29 would still clear the down tube.

dK
    FYI that our spec A-C is a 120mm F29 Fox 32 fork. Even lowered to 120mm, the Fox 34 fork is a taller A-C due to a beefier crown. Not a big difference, but it is there.

Just roll it......
    Been getting out for a bunch of 2-3 hour xc rides on the two-giner lately. Gotta say this bike is super fun, gets up to speed reasonably well and rips through the techie xc that we've got in Bellingham.

Last night, I ticked off a few jumps that I hadn't hit on it.....all of which are in the 8-12 foot range. Still didn't feel confident enough to hit the the final three jumps on the trail. We were night riding, so maybe I'll try them in the day. Gotta get some vid and pics of the bike in action. Very stoked on it!

mtbr member
    Been getting out for a bunch of 2-3 hour xc rides on the two-giner lately. Gotta say this bike is super fun, gets up to speed reasonably well and rips through the techie xc that we've got in Bellingham.

Last night, I ticked off a few jumps that I hadn't hit on it.....all of which are in the 8-12 foot range. Still didn't feel confident enough to hit the the final three jumps on the trail. We were night riding, so maybe I'll try them in the day. Gotta get some vid and pics of the bike in action. Very stoked on it!
    Yup...you're officially ruined
    Let's get the vid/pics up ASAP!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zyclopath View Post

dK
    got a weight on it?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Yup...you're officially ruined
    Let's get the vid/pics up ASAP!
    Yeah, I'm gonna try to get some images or vid on that thing. The bike really is crazy fun. I did get my first pinch flat the other night with a botched double-up attempt. I can 100% say there's been several times where I would've flatted the 26 doing similar stuff and was expecting it and it just didn't materialize. Likely more credit to the big hoops!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Hey all, got a few questions and concerns about the TA29. Long - sorry!

on the fence about swapping my TransAM 26er for either a nice shiny and refined Chromag Kamui...or going the other direction and building up a TA29. I'd be swapping everything over from my TA26 save for the fork/headset/wheel setup, obviously. Already have a deposit with Drop'n'Zone for the next run of Kamui frames, but am pretty sure they'd let me just turn that over into a TA29 frame. The Kamui is gorgeous, and I think would suit me very well, but i can't help being still curious about the bigger wheels. I've even thought of just diving in and going for a Surface frame, but the thought of that much coin on a big wheel bike when I'm not sure if I'll like it makes me sorta' gag.

I know the wheels can work well for the terrain I have around here, but am just not sure for the way I like to ride. Lots of hopping, lots of body english, slow speed tech and trialsy bits paired with short bits of high speed short and steep stuff. Not a ton of long climbs - stuff tends to be short and steep, both up and down. I like my wheelie drops, I like my lurch moves, front wheel pivot moves, rock ups and steep rolls, tight corners, etc. I know a lot of you have and like riding similar stuff, so give me the scoop.

Can someone with a size small frame give me an idea of the frame weight? Not something I'm hung up on, but still...

Paradox appeals, but even their smallest size is still larger than I like. Honzo as well, but I don't need that much of a freakin' tank for a frame. Other stuff is out, for a variety of reasons. Geometry or fit in most cases, or price. Basically looking for the fit of my TA with the Paradox/TA29 geometry.

Downside is getting any sort of test ride on something like that around here is near impossible. Everything available is either too damn big, or way more long/stretched/XC-ish for my preferences. Have a line on a Paradox that I may be able to borrow for a couple days, and tweak the fit as best I can, but still think it'll feel too big for me. The TT is an inch longer than I like, and while the reach is pretty damn similar, the stack is way hgiher than I'm used to and prefer. I like my low front end.

Which leads me to the TA29 - seems the best fit in terms of the numbers on paper, but again, no way for me to ride one. My last experience building up a 29er sicked, but things have come along way since then.

Fresh Kool Aid [o]

Take other frame and tweak geo with angled headset, different dropouts, what? If anyone has other thoughts or suggestions, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Hey all, got a few questions and concerns about the TA29. Long - sorry!

on the fence about swapping my TransAM 26er for either a nice shiny and refined Chromag Kamui...or going the other direction and building up a TA29. I'd be swapping everything over from my TA26 save for the fork/headset/wheel setup, obviously. Already have a deposit with Drop'n'Zone for the next run of Kamui frames, but am pretty sure they'd let me just turn that over into a TA29 frame. The Kamui is gorgeous, and I think would suit me very well, but i can't help being still curious about the bigger wheels. I've even thought of just diving in and going for a Surface frame, but the thought of that much coin on a big wheel bike when I'm not sure if I'll like it makes me sorta' gag.

I know the wheels can work well for the terrain I have around here, but am just not sure for the way I like to ride. Lots of hopping, lots of body english, slow speed tech and trialsy bits paired with short bits of high speed short and steep stuff. Not a ton of long climbs - stuff tends to be short and steep, both up and down. I like my wheelie drops, I like my lurch moves, front wheel pivot moves, rock ups and steep rolls, tight corners, etc. I know a lot of you have and like riding similar stuff, so give me the scoop.

Can someone with a size small frame give me an idea of the frame weight? Not something I'm hung up on, but still...

Paradox appeals, but even their smallest size is still larger than I like. Honzo as well, but I don't need that much of a freakin' tank for a frame. Other stuff is out, for a variety of reasons. Geometry or fit in most cases, or price. Basically looking for the fit of my TA with the Paradox/TA29 geometry.

Downside is getting any sort of test ride on something like that around here is near impossible. Everything available is either too damn big, or way more long/stretched/XC-ish for my preferences. Have a line on a Paradox that I may be able to borrow for a couple days, and tweak the fit as best I can, but still think it'll feel too big for me. The TT is an inch longer than I like, and while the reach is pretty damn similar, the stack is way hgiher than I'm used to and prefer. I like my low front end.

Which leads me to the TA29 - seems the best fit in terms of the numbers on paper, but again, no way for me to ride one. My last experience building up a 29er sicked, but things have come along way since then.

Fresh Kool Aid [o]

Take other frame and tweak geo with angled headset, different dropouts, what? If anyone has other thoughts or suggestions, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

I have a similar riding style...XC/AM here in the Southeast. 29er is legit and the TA29 is about as legit as they get for my style (I'm in the industry so I get to ride a lot of other 29ers). Very few people get it right the first time and for these guys, a small 'core company TO get it right is impressive. Short, steep "punchy" climbs are perfect for a 29er. Honestly, you wouldn't know you were on a 29er...until you know you're on a 29er. Do it.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm View Post
    I have a similar riding style...XC/AM here in the Southeast. 29er is legit and the TA29 is about as legit as they get for my style (I'm in the industry so I get to ride a lot of other 29ers). Very few people get it right the first time and for these guys, a small 'core company TO get it right is impressive. Short, steep "punchy" climbs are perfect for a 29er. Honestly, you wouldn't know you were on a 29er...until you know you're on a 29er. Do it.

Yeah, that's what I hear.

Actually now have a Paradox loaner bike for Monday/Tuesday lined up. Owner says he's cool with me swapping on my shorter stem/wider bar/dropper post and tweaking things for my fit. Will ride two of my favorite spots those days.

Should give me enough of an acid test to see if I want to go for it, or stick with the Kamui.

mtbr member
    Honzo as well, but I don't need that much of a freakin' tank for a frame.
    Have you seen actual frame weights of the Honzo or going off the one thread where someone received a pre-production frame weighing under 8 lbs?

A Large TransAM 29er weighs 6.4 lbs according to their website, a 20" XL Honzo frame weighs around 6 lbs (and long story short I had a 20L Honzo frame at the house a few weeks back and it was 6.5 lbs) so it's not a real tank of a frame per say as people make it out to be.

I would give the Kona Honzo another look as well.

But I will say the TransAM 29er in S and Medium is one of the best looking and proportioned AMHT 29er frames out now.
    konahonzo

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    I would give the Kona Honzo another look as well.
    It's a fit thing there as well - while the stack and TT on the Paradox is longer than I want by a fair bit but the reach number isn't too bad, the Honzo has a longer reach and TT, while having the stack about the same.

Again, comparing to the numbers of my TransAM - a bike I'm very much comfortable on in terms of fit and geometry.

I'm nerding out about all the numbers because firstly I can't really get much in the way of test rides on any of these bikes very easily, and secondly, I don't want a repeat of my first experiment with a 29er hardtail. It very much sucked. I'm not wanting to dive in, shell out cash for the thing, and not like things. Thus the questioning. I want more than a little spin around the parking lot, bouncing around curbs and such to sell me on it.

I think the Paradox borrowing early next week will work to anwser all my questions. Planning to hit up two of my favorite and most ridden spots, reflective of most of the riding that I really like. The fit isn't perfect for what I like, but it's close enough that it ought to give me a good enough idea if building up a TA29 is the right move, or sticking with the
    TA26-->Kamui swap is best.

mtbr member
    It's a fit thing there as well - while the stack and TT on the Paradox is longer than I want by a fair bit but the reach number isn't too bad, the Honzo has a longer reach and TT, while having the stack about the same.

Again, comparing to the numbers of my TransAM - a bike I'm very much comfortable on in terms of fit and geometry.
    Sounds exactly that you know what you want. Kinda like me when the season ended and I said I want a 29er for this upcoming season starting in the spring. And I too am using my current TransAM to know what I want for the next frame geometry, something with a longer ETT and reach most importantly. And believe me, I looked at every AMHT frame out there (Canfield Yelli Screamy and Nimble9, Transition TransAM 29er, Banshee Paradox, Chromag Surface, 2SoulsCycles QH/Slim Jim and the Kona Honzo).

At first I wanted the Chromag ($1500+) but going over the swap costs with what I can reuse from the TransAM, I could be on any other frame along with new required parts (like a 29er fork and wheelset) for a little more than the price of the Chromag Surface frame. It's a lot to stomach to pay for a HT frame. The same with the 2Souls frame, at $1200+, plus the XL is just like the TransAM in fit and the XXL doesn't look like it's going to be made any time soon.

The Yelli Screamy (even though I had a purple ano frame and sold) and the Banshee Paradox are out because I like the feel of steel on a HT frame, especially with big volume rubber.

Looking at your TransAM pics, I can definitely see you ripping it on a Small TtransAM 29er.
    Last edited by eurospek; 02-14-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Very interested in one of these frames at the moment but there is just one thing holding me back.
    First of all I am sold on the 29er thing I have had one for the last 3 years but only as a XC hardtail which I think there are loads of advantages over a 26" HT.
    But I like to do everything from XC epics on my 29er to shreding on my TR250. That's why I have always liked 26" "All Mountain" hardtails as I can go on a ride and do a fun XC loop then hit up some local DH tracks on the way back.
    So the Transam 29 has got me thinking. Is it possible to have all the advantages of the big wheels but still have all the fun of the small wheels?
    If I have had one I would never like to be on a ride then come to a section of track and think I would have done that if I had a 26" bike. What are the like to jump and on steep tech stuff?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    For me almost everything on that frame is spot on - only thing that holds me back is the weight, as I was looking for a XC bike in the first place. I might go the AM route though, but then with a dropper post.

Does the frame have cable guides for four cables (FD, RD, RBr and seatpost) underneath the top tube, or just for three? Can't tell really on the pictures.

Thanks,

Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepp View Post
    For me almost everything on that frame is spot on - only thing that holds me back is the weight, as I was looking for a XC bike in the first place. I might go the AM route though, but then with a dropper post.

Does the frame have cable guides for four cables (FD, RD, RBr and seatpost) underneath the top tube, or just for three? Can't tell really on the pictures.

Thanks,

Joe
    It's only 3 spots to keep it neat and tidy under the top tube, but if you do run all 4 cables you can just "buddy strap" them together zip ties on the other spots and keeps them closer together than we would have been able to do with 4 sets of cable guides. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Scrub it will be interesting to hear how your test ride goes on your favourite trails.

I rode lots of the same type of trails back in Ontario on the Niagra Escarpment. Short quick ups and downs with trails type playground in rock gardens. Just switching between a fs bike and the ht there is a big difference in enjoyment on those types of trails. The ht certainly rocks it on that stuff.

I'd be surprised if you like the 29er on that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Scrub it will be interesting to hear how your test ride goes on your favourite trails.

I rode lots of the same type of trails back in Ontario on the Niagra Escarpment. Short quick ups and downs with trails type playground in rock gardens. Just switching between a fs bike and the ht there is a big difference in enjoyment on those types of trails. The ht certainly rocks it on that stuff.

I'd be surprised if you like the 29er on that stuff.
    Heh. You will not be surprised, then.

Didn't work for me. Set up the bike with my wide bars, stem, seat and post. Got the controls and seating all nice and comfy.

As everyone knows, once up to speed it rocked - rolled right over stuff. It was everything else that sucked for me. I really disliked the slow speed and trials-y move handling.

Found it very much sucky to get the front end up, and to move the rear of the bike around in the way I like to move it around when riding. Even with low bars, no spacers under the stem, found it very difficult to get the front end weighted how I like. I tend to ride very forward, and weight the front end a lot.

There are lots of 29er riders I've seen who ride the same way, even on similar terrain. It works for them, but not for me. Lots of comments I see about having to ride differently, re-learn, etc. Great, but I'm not interested in that. I like the way I ride, and have fun that way - no desire to alter that.

More and more locals are on 29ers around me, but when I see them out on the trails, the majority of them are just steam rolling over ****, not bothering with any sort of finesse - just letting the bike do the work. Now, there are plenty I've seen who don't ride that way, so you 29er jihadi types don't go all nuts on me - I'm not lumping you all together. Hell, the dude who lent me the Paradox is a very skilled and full of finesse rider who can kick my ass on a ride up, down, sideways.

Curiosity once again satisfied, and I'll keep my Chromag Kamui order standing.

Fake it 'til you make it

Stand Up!

The advantages of the big wheels will not be understood until you get your ass off of the saddle!

The bike needs to move beneath you.

You have big time traction now; so you can shorten your stem (I run a 38mm). It makes these bikes come alive.

Your fitness will catch up, quickly, once you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JLantz View Post
    The advantages of the big wheels will not be understood until you get your ass off of the saddle!

The bike needs to move beneath you.

You have big time traction now; so you can shorten your stem (I run a 38mm). It makes these bikes come alive.

Your fitness will catch up, quickly, once you understand.

Uh, I move the bike around beneath me already. A lot. It was a pain in the ass to do so on the Paradox. Cumbersome and sluggish feeling compared to my 26ers. That's physics talking there, not just talking out my ass.

I don't have problems with traction on the 26er, thanks again. That's not what it was about. And I was trying it with a 50mm stem as is. A shorter stem would make one of my biggest complaints even worse.

My fitness is fine, thanks, but I appreciate your concern.

But you're welcome to keep pushing the cult. Yeah, I get it - they work great - for some people. Some of the 29er zealots need to understand though that they don't work the same for everyone.

I'm not going to shell out the money on a bike in the hopes that I might like it. Been there, done that with my prior 29er tryout, and intensely disliked the experience, even worse than this time.

There are plenty of benefits to the larger wheels - it's idiocy to deny that. But they don't outweigh the negatives for me and how I like to ride.

mtbr member
    But Paradox is not steel.

Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs
    But Paradox is not steel.
    F'ing duh.

having it be in steel won't fix my issues with the way the bike handled. Steel is my preference, but when the only bike like this I can get a test ride on happens to be alu, well, I'm not going to turn it down.

Big wheels work for some riders, not for others. End of story. Blanket pronouncements of them being the best bikes for everyone are just dumb.

I still like the idea, and am not averse to them. If I ever get a ride on one and really like it, yeah, I'll be buying one.

mtbr member

Bump to the thread

I took the TransAm out last week on a couple of the more technical trails we have around hear and it handled really well on tight switchbacks and step ups. It even did fine on the downhill chunk - although I was slower on the downs than I am on my Endorphin. I put the thudbuster on for the chunk and while it did help my old back the setback really made the TT feel too long.

TransAM pictured here with my SE Racing OM Flyer

mtbr member
    Hi noosa, did the 135 and SS dropouts came with the frame? part of the package? or did you have to order separately? Transition's website dont indicate anything

mtbr member
    Hi noosa, did the 135 and SS dropouts came with the frame? part of the package? or did you have to order separately? Transition's website dont indicate anything
    The frame came with the 142mm dropouts. You have to order the 135mm and/or SS separate.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Thanks noosa, was any price quoted to you for either of the optional dropouts?

mtbr member
    Thanks noosa, was any price quoted to you for either of the optional dropouts?
    Basically $30 a pop, and you need 2 so $60 for either running a 135x10 QR Vertical dropout or 135x10 SS Horizontal dropout.

Transition Bikes
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Thanks eurospek.

mtbr member
    Hi all,
    would this rear wheel fit in the std TransAm29 dropout? Its a Syntace X12

Fulcrum Red Power 29 XL Wheelset | Evans Cycles

QR/15mm thru-axle adapter kit for the front wheel and Syntace X-12 135/142mm adapter kit for the rear wheel included

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I took the TransAm out last week on a couple of the more technical trails we have around hear and it handled really well on tight switchbacks and step ups. It even did fine on the downhill chunk - although I was slower on the downs than I am on my Endorphin. I put the thudbuster on for the chunk and while it did help my old back the setback really made the TT feel too long.

TransAM pictured here with my SE Racing OM Flyer

nice! digging the OM Flyer and TA29. I like SE and Transition myself.

Fake it 'til you make it
    Barf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chromejesus View Post

Trans Am 29er size Large
    Fox 34 lowered to 120mm
    Race Face bar
    Aka Stem
    XT 10 Speed Shifters
    XT cranks
    XT cassette
    Thomson Post
    WTB saddle
    Straitline Pedals
    SLX brakes

Hi cj,
    are you using the std 142x12 dropouts? I've been finding it difficult to get hubs for this.

mtbr member
    Hi cj,
    are you using the std 142x12 dropouts? I've been finding it difficult to get hubs for this.
    Hey WarPigs I am using the standard 142x12 dropouts. I am using a hope pro2 evo wheel set that I had on my Tallboy. For these all I had to do was buy a conversion kit that wasn't very hard to install.

Wednesday I took the trans am on its first Pisgah ride and it slayed Black Mtn Trail. I surprised my self with how fast I was able to go through the gnar. I felt stable and 100% more confident than I ever felt on my Tallboy.

And heres some pics from Wednesday

and stats

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Trans AM 29er Large Blue

Mine is in the mail, LBS says Monday at the latest and it will be in my hands. I cant wait to get it out on the trail.

I'm with stupid
    Does anyone know if there is a way to get a SS build from transition? All the same as the other build minus the drivetrain being set up as a single speed? Or just a for and frame set up?

gringo-fied facsimiles

Born on the 29th!

First ride was on the 1st. Needs a little dialing in but should prove to be a great trail bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-trans29.jpg  

http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast