Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ Totally understand. I'm 6'4" and a 29er is the next logical step for me, especially for the trails I ride here around Chicago. My 26er TransAM has been way overbuilt honestly, with the Float 36 and Mavic EX721/Hope wheelset, just makes no sense in carrying all that weight for the singletrack duties here, where I maybe see one or two 1-foot drops at the most. It is a fun bike, but the 26er wheels get caught over roots quite a lot. And the sizing of the TransAM is also a bit on the small side.
    Now that I live in the Southeast I don't think I can go back to a 26" bike. I'm quicker around here with the punchy climbs, technical trails on my SS 29er than I was on my 26" bikes with gears. Looking forward to having one with gears...This bike will fit my riding style perfectly. I have wanted a steel 29er that I can flick the crap outta of when the urge hits me or when I want to cruise the longer rides here or when I fly it out west. I was able to get my 26" TransAm to around 27lbs without much effort...Stans Flow rims, Sektor Solor Air, 1x10 with not a very light RaceFace crank. I'll be running the Revelation XX and my other pair of Stan's Flow rims on this build so it should be kinda light.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Quick/maybe Dumb question- I'm gonna be transferring over parts from my 29er to build this frame up. WIll there be issues using a non-tapered steer tubed fork with the new frame? also, what headset should i plan on getting, or can i use my current one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm View Post
    Now that I live in the Southeast I don't think I can go back to a 26" bike. I'm quicker around here with the punchy climbs, technical trails on my SS 29er than I was on my 26" bikes with gears. Looking forward to having one with gears...This bike will fit my riding style perfectly. I have wanted a steel 29er that I can flick the crap outta of when the urge hits me or when I want to cruise the longer rides here or when I fly it out west. I was able to get my 26" TransAm to around 27lbs without much effort...Stans Flow rims, Sektor Solor Air, 1x10 with not a very light RaceFace crank. I'll be running the Revelation XX and my other pair of Stan's Flow rims on this build so it should be kinda light.
    That was quite light, especially for a 6lb frame like the TransAM. I wish my build was lighter, it came to be a tad under 33 lbs. Quite heavy for singletrack duties lol. Definitely cutting back this time around.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    What's the head tube length on a medium? I have googled for a full geo charts and I am anxiously awaiting the TA29 to be put on your website. I want to know if I just screwed up my fork I just bought and installed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    What's the head tube length on a medium? I have googled for a full geo charts and I am anxiously awaiting the TA29 to be put on your website. I want to know if I just screwed up my fork I just bought and installed.
    The headtube is 100mm on a medium. The 44mm style has an external bottom cup for about 12-15mm of stack and the top is flush, so another 5mm or so depending on headset model.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member

Stand over measurement?

Hey Transition,

Could you please post the stand over numbers for your stock builds? Measured from ground to top of top tube / center of top tube length. I did not see any numbers posted on your website.

Thanks!

(I am interested in a large)
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Hey Transition,

Could you please post the stand over numbers for your stock builds? Measured from ground to top of top tube / center of top tube length. I did not see any numbers posted on your website.

Thanks!

(I am interested in a large)
    The photo bike is a size L. It's about 32.5" at the middle of the top tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just ordered a complete build in a small size, I also don't know the stand over. Please tell me its 30 or less...please! also does the fox fork have kashima coating on it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    The photo bike is a size L. It's about 32.5" at the middle of the top tube.
    Thanks for the info. The 32.5" should work for me on the Trans Am 29. Although a 2.4 Ardent front and/or a Fox 34 may not be possible...

I have a large Salsa Fargo that measures 33" at the center of the TT. With a 32 pant inseam I have room to bend my knees slightly when standing over the bike.

mtbr member
    What about standover for XL? Also this info seems to be missing from the Bandit29 geo page as well.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Trying to figure out a size too...standover would be good to know.
    Maybe L or XL...am 6'2inch w/35inch inside leg...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Just ordered mine in pewter...stoked! Wanted the blue, but oh well. Now, just have to sell my 26" TA to pay for the thing.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    ^ Where did you order from? DNZ?
    konahonzo

The Tyranical Teabagger
    ^ Where did you order from? DNZ?
    Top secret...
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Can't speak tot he 2.5 x 29 Minion since they aren't actually available yet, but the Ardent 2.4 fits but only without a front derailleur (single speed or 1x9 / 1x10 setups). The Minion will likely be the same since there is plenty of room in the stays. The brace you mention is 3 sided.

Was the purpose of keeping the stays a bit longer than some of the other steel short stay HT 29ers (e.g. Nimble 9 and Kona Honzo) to ensure the bigger tires would fit or did you see some other pluses as far as handling goes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Was the purpose of keeping the stays a bit longer than some of the other steel short stay HT 29ers (e.g. Nimble 9 and Kona Honzo) to ensure the bigger tires would fit or did you see some other pluses as far as handling goes?
    The Canfield Yelli Screamy has 424 mm / 16.7 in chainstays and fit 2.4 Ardents with a 2x9 drivetrain.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    The Canfield Yelli Screamy has 424 mm / 16.7 in chainstays and fit 2.4 Ardents with a 2x9 drivetrain.
    Yes it does. The Yelli has everything I'm looking for except that it is not 4130 Cro-mo. I'm looking at the Trans AM 29er, Honzo, Yelli and Nimble 9 and the only (possible) downside of the Trans AM is the slightly longer chainstays. That's why I'm interested in Transitions reason for the extra chainstay length.

mtbr member
    Yes it does. The Yelli has everything I'm looking for except that it is not 4130 Cro-mo. I'm looking at the Trans AM 29er, Honzo, Yelli and Nimble 9 and the only (possible) downside of the Trans AM is the slightly longer chainstays. That's why I'm interested in Transitions reason for the extra chainstay length.
    True and a valid point. I'm coming from a 26er Transition TransAM and building a Canfield Yelli Screamy 29er at the moment for next season. I decided to give this 29er a go due to a couple of reasons but the biggest selling factor was everyone's praise about this frame. I have yet to find someone bad repping it. Frame weight was another factor. My current TransAM weighs in at 33 lbs and this new 29er frame isn't any lighter, 6.5 lbs for a Large (I need an XL so it would be close to 7 lbs I imagine), and I'm worried it would be over 30 lbs once again. I'm aiming for 27 lbs this time around, with pretty stout components to boot. Plus the price was just too good to pass up really.
    konahonzo

Just roll it......
    Marzocchi 29'er fork purchased.....ruh roh....am I actually heading towards a twenty-giner?

mtbr member
    If you guys didnt see it yet, the Trans Am 29er is up on the website:
    TransAm 29

Looks pretty awesome
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Marzocchi 29'er fork purchased.....ruh roh....am I actually heading towards a twenty-giner?
    What!?! No way...

Just roll it......
    What!?! No way...
    Yeah, well....I can't believe I just said that too. haha

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Looks like my frame will be here by Wed. Just ordered my Reba XX and Thomson seat post. I'll be swapping parts next weekend...giggity.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    ^ Any reason why the XX over the popular Reba RLT Ti? Prices for those seems to be $450-500 or so.

And what wheelset you running?
    konahonzo

The Tyranical Teabagger
    I've got a pair of Flow rims on ZTR hubs...20mm, 10x135 in the rear with a DT Swiss RWS thrubolt. Went XX because of the remote. Lots of punchy climbs here in the South...
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Nice, can't wait to see it.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ummm......I think there is a bit of an error on the website......577mm axle to crown? Shouldn't this be around 525 or so?

Maybe transition has a special run on 29er Fox 40 forks!.........j/k

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Nice, can't wait to see it.
    I'm pulling all the parts off of this...gonna be tight!

I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Did you sell your frame yet? I'm wondering what I should price mine to.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    SO, did a little measuring last night and was unamused lol. The 30.0 x 410 Thomson post (from the TransAM 26) has about an inch more of usable length than the 30.9 x 410 post and with both posts sitting at the Max line, I'm still sitting taller on the 19.5" TransAM seattube than the 20" Canfield Yelli Screamy, which defeats the whole point of upgrading. I wanted to sit taller on the climbs and stuff.

There was a guy wanting to buy the Canfield frame from the get-go when I posted it so I'm not losing much there luckily.

And DNZ gave me a screaming deal on a XL TransAM 29er in pewter, going to pay as soon I receive the Paypal invoice from Chad, already got funds for the Yelli which sold just minutes ago. I just can't get away from the TransAM it seems (a bike I love dearly but lacked big wheels).

Super stoked!!! Building with a 1x9 SLX drivetrain, SLX 203/180 brakes, Rockshox Revaltion 140 RLT, Sun-Ringle Charger wheelset, Maxxis Ardent 2.4, Thomson and Sunline cockpit. Going for a pewter-red-black color scheme.
    konahonzo

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Not yet...still trying. Couple people interested.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    I'll be on the same boat soon. Just paid for a XL TransAM 29 in Pewter.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    True and a valid point. I'm coming from a 26er Transition TransAM and building a Canfield Yelli Screamy 29er at the moment for next season. I decided to give this 29er a go due to a couple of reasons but the biggest selling factor was everyone's praise about this frame. I have yet to find someone bad repping it. Frame weight was another factor. My current TransAM weighs in at 33 lbs and this new 29er frame isn't any lighter, 6.5 lbs for a Large (I need an XL so it would be close to 7 lbs I imagine), and I'm worried it would be over 30 lbs once again. I'm aiming for 27 lbs this time around, with pretty stout components to boot. Plus the price was just too good to pass up really.
    OK, so with the Yelli gone and a TransAM 29er is on the way you must have decided that 30lbs+ was not so bad for a HT AM 29er right?

mtbr member
    OK, so with the Yelli gone and a TransAM 29er is on the way you must have decided that 30lbs+ was not so bad for a HT AM 29er right?
    I'm still planning for an under 30 lbs build. Anything under and I'll be stoked and I don't see why it's not doable ATM.

Figure the frame to be 6.5 lbs or a little more, my Rockshox Revelation RLT is 4.09 lbs with an uncut steerer, Sun Ringle Charger Pro wheelset is 3.9 lbs. I think I can get the rest of the parts to be around 12 or 13 lbs, especially since I'm going tubeless and with 1x9 drivetrain.
    konahonzo

JB
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside View Post
    Ummm......I think there is a bit of an error on the website......577mm axle to crown? Shouldn't this be around 525 or so?

Maybe transition has a special run on 29er Fox 40 forks!.........j/k
    +1, I noticed the CS dimension is off too, in English they claim 16.65" when the metric equivalent is 17.12". Also, ETT seems awful short, 24.88" on an XL?!

WNC Native
    Any chance you can tell us what the chainstay length range is with the 135mm horizontal dropouts?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    +1, I noticed the CS dimension is off too, in English they claim 16.65" when the metric equivalent is 17.12". Also, ETT seems awful short, 24.88" on an XL?!
    I'm curious which chainstay length is correct. I sent the guys at Transition an email asking for some further clarification as I'm also interested in which ETT measurement of the Large is correct -- 23.9" (607.5mm) or 24.25". I

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    I am sorry everyone! Someone was having a bad math day when they built that webpage. All the metric numbers should be correct, but I am making sure they get checked and corrected if they are wrong. You can ignore the imperial units until I get that fixed. Wow, lot of mistakes in there.

The chainstay length is 435mm (17.125") along the stay itself, shorter if you are looking at ther "rear center" horizontal distance. The optional SS horizontal dropouts start at the same 435mm length and have room to adjust back by about 12mm.

That is the correct ETT, as long as you look at the metric numbers. The frame has a fairly steep seat angle, which takes away from TT length a little. And with the head angle as slack as it is, the TT needs to be kept shorter to keep the wheelbase in check. This bike is meant to be ridden hard, it's more AM and less XC.

Hope that helps, and sorry for the errors...

mtbr member
    Yeah, well....I can't believe I just said that too. haha
    Muahahahaha!!!

mtbr member
    PS. Is the TransAm 29 Hammerschmidt compatible?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    PS. Is the TransAm 29 Hammerschmidt compatible?
    It has ISCG-05 tabs, but no downtube cable mounts as far as I know. You could rig up some type of cable guide that is captured by one of the water bottle bolts, though.

banned
    Dec 2006
    It's coming... and it's going to be pretty sweet.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/27shlk6" vspale=0></iframe>
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>
    cant wait

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Just got my frame this week...wasn't sure how I'd like the Pewter ( it was the only color they had left at Transition ) but damn, looks soooo much hawter in person. I've got the fork on right now and will be finishing it up this weekend.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Just got my frame this week...wasn't sure how I'd like the Pewter ( it was the only color they had left at Transition ) but damn, looks soooo much hawter in person. I've got the fork on right now and will be finishing it up this weekend.
    Pics?

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Apparently I'm having problems getting the image to link...this is the frame and fork ( Reba XX ). Sorry for all the crap in the background...only had time to take a quick pic.

Last edited by cyrjm; 11-27-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: I'm 2/3rds retarded...
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Apparently I'm having problems getting the image to link...this is the frame and fork ( Reba XX ). Sorry for all the crap in the background...only had time to take a quick pic.

Can't wait to see it built.

mtbr member

What is the max travel on the reba XX? 120 or 140?

The Tyranical Teabagger
    120mm. I was originally thinking of getting the Revelation, reducing the travel to 120 BUT have that extra 20mm if I decide to buy a Bandit 29er next season ( so I could swap parts or whatever ). Then I decided just to get the Reba and buy another fork if in fact I do buy the Bandit. Bike is pretty much finished, just need to cut the steerer and chase the threads for the BB. I've had the flu for a few days so I haven't been in the shop to finish it up. I will say the pewter looks BADA$$! Especially with my white Flows and white RaceFace parts.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member

...DNZ gave me a screaming deal on a XL TransAM 29er in pewter...

Super stoked!!! Building with a 1x9 SLX drivetrain, SLX 203/180 brakes, Rockshox Revaltion 140 RLT, Sun-Ringle Charger wheelset, Maxxis Ardent 2.4, Thomson and Sunline cockpit. Going for a pewter-red-black color scheme.
    Did you get the frame yet? I'm really interested in ride impressions with a 140mm travel fork.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    I chased and faced the bb today...cutting the steerer tomorrow and should be able to ride it by Wed. if it doesn't rain here in Georgia. I'm waiting on some WTB Bronson's as well so I may wait until I get those. I really can't see putting a 140mm on this frame. It looks dialed with 120 and I think 140 would mess up the geo too much...I'm interested to hear how it rides too.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Did you get the frame yet? I'm really interested in ride impressions with a 140mm travel fork.
    Nope. Ended up cancelling with DNZ. I don't think I can handle 1x9, not fit enough on the climbs lol. And I need to run a 2.4 Ardent in the back, nothing skinnier for me.

Surprised there are no more completed builds popping up here to look at. It seems cyrjm is the only one with a frame lol.
    konahonzo

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Nope. Ended up cancelling with DNZ. I don't think I can handle 1x9, not fit enough on the climbs lol. And I need to run a 2.4 Ardent in the back, nothing skinnier for me.

Surprised there are no more completed builds popping up here to look at. It seems cyrjm is the only one with a frame lol.
    She'll be done tomorrow...promise!
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

The Tyranical Teabagger
    I should also say that right now, as it sits it's at 26.4lbs. Once I put my crank on, cut the 410 Thomson post, ditch the tubes and throw pedals it should be right around 27ish. I hope.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    I'm with you on the tire size. So, are you back to the Yelli?

mtbr member
    I'm with you on the tire size. So, are you back to the Yelli?
    Nope. Been chatting with the guys at Chromag and I'm on the pre-order list for an XL Chromag Surface frame from the 2nd production run due in March 2012.

I think I've exhausted all my AMHT 29er options here and just going to pony up the $$$ and get everything I want from a 29er frame: steel, 21" ST, 2.4 Ardent clearance with a front. der and frame weight under 6 lbs (the XL is 5.75 lbs).
    konahonzo

ride
    For the record, the TransAm 29er works with an Ardent 2.4 and a front der. PLENTY of clearance with an X9 high clamp. Frame weight on an xl is just at or under 6lb.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    For the record, the TransAm 29er works with an Ardent 2.4 and a front der. PLENTY of clearance with an X9 high clamp. Frame weight on an xl is just at or under 6lb.
    Quite the contrary on Transition's site, along with confirmation from one of the guys there that a 2.4 Ardent AND front der. won't happen.

And btw, where are you getting under 6 lbs from? The weight of a Large frame is 6.4 lbs according to Transition's site.

Post some pics and prove me wrong.
    konahonzo

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quite the contrary on Transition's site, along with confirmation from one of the guys there that a 2.4 Ardent AND front der. won't happen.

And btw, where are you getting under 6 lbs from? The weight of a Large frame is 6.4 lbs according to Transition's site.

Post some pics and prove me wrong.
    I'm betting since he owns and runs a shop that sells Transition, he tried it out (the tire clearnance/derailleur thing) and weighed a frame on his own...

That's the kind of shop (and guy) Dave is.

I have never known manufacturer weights to be accurate, no matter how much I like the company. My 26" TransAM frame (first gen) weighed a fair bit heavier than their claimed weight.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

ride
    Eurospek - we got an XL complete in for a customer. I might be wrong about the weight but I remember it was right around 6lbs from what I can recall.

The build kit came with an X7 front der and 2.4s front and rear. With the 2.4 Ardent and the X7 front der, there was about 1/2 of a mm of clearance because the X7 low clamp front der has a funky pivot behind the clamp/seattube that backed against the tire. The new style X9s are very clean, simple svelte band clamp and nothing funky behind the seattube. Plenty of clearance that way so we put an X9 on it and the guy was happy as a clam.

I've attached an image of the X7 low clamp so you can see all the garbage hanging off the back that gets in the way of tire clearance.

The TransAm 29 with a 2.4 is not compatible with every front der out there, but it will definitely work with an X9 top clamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting that!!! Definitely clears things up. Any idea on a complete weight for that XL then?
    konahonzo

ride
    I think it was just over 30for without pedals.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Eurospek - we got an XL complete in for a customer. I might be wrong about the weight but I remember it was right around 6lbs from what I can recall.

The build kit came with an X7 front der and 2.4s front and rear. With the 2.4 Ardent and the X7 front der, there was about 1/2 of a mm of clearance because the X7 low clamp front der has a funky pivot behind the clamp/seattube that backed against the tire. The new style X9s are very clean, simple svelte band clamp and nothing funky behind the seattube. Plenty of clearance that way so we put an X9 on it and the guy was happy as a clam.

The TransAm 29 with a 2.4 is not compatible with every front der out there, but it will definitely work with an X9 top clamp.
    Ignazjr: When you say newer style X9, do you mean 10 speed? I only ask because I already have a nice XT 9 speed crank set and would like to run 2x9 with a 2.4 Ardent if I go with this frame.

Thanks!

ride
    That pivot hanging off the rear der on the low clamp x7 sticks out 29mm from th centerpoint and barely rubs the tire. On your der, you'll probably want no more than 19mm. High clamps will generally offer better clearance.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Bubba13, are you set on running 2x9? I only ask because you say you want use your 9-spd XT crankset and you do have the option of using that crankset in a 2x10 setup. I am running the 9-spd SLX double crank as a 2x10. It uses 10-spd SLX stuff for the rear and shifters and a 9-spd SLX FD. My only complaint about the shifting is going back on to the big ring isn't as fast as I would like but I would like to think that a 9-spd 2x left shift pod would fix that. I probably don't shift the front enough to justify the cost of a new shifter(s) until this one is done.

Just roll it......
    Had lunch in Ferndale and came home with a two-giner. Whooops!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Bubba13, are you set on running 2x9? I only ask because you say you want use your 9-spd XT crankset and you do have the option of using that crankset in a 2x10 setup. I am running the 9-spd SLX double crank as a 2x10. It uses 10-spd SLX stuff for the rear and shifters and a 9-spd SLX FD. My only complaint about the shifting is going back on to the big ring isn't as fast as I would like but I would like to think that a 9-spd 2x left shift pod would fix that. I probably don't shift the front enough to justify the cost of a new shifter(s) until this one is done.
    There's no such thing as far as I'm aware of.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Bummer. I was hoping for at the very least a Saint version. I will probably go 1x10 with a 32t chainring eventually, while only losing 3 granny gears and 1 big gear. I am currently on a XCish frame that I have been making into a trail bike but I love coming here and staring at the blue TransAm 29er. One day I will have to decide on which AM-HT frame to get. For now I just enjoy reading about all the AM-HT possibilities.

mtbr member
    Just looked up the Saint shifter pod and I am now wondering why it even comes in 3x9 when there is no Saint 3x crankset. I know that FDs limit the front shifter but why make something that the group can't even do? I also understand that you can mix manufacturers' groups (Yes, I am showing how limited my knowledge about bike components can be but that's why I read these forums to expand my knowledge). Can someone explain it so I don't just sit here and speculate it was a cost cutting measure? And I won't derail TB's thread anymore.

mtbr member

Thanks for posting Dave. (It is Dave right? ) While I am planning on running mine as a 1X9 with large volume tires it is nice to know I would not have to downsize the tires if I decided to run a front der.

ride
    Yep. Big tires are definitely key. I've got Ardent 2.4s front and rears on my hardtail and love 'em. Makes a 2.1 feel like a road tire.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

The Tyranical Teabagger

Finally. Kinda.

Almost done....found out today that my Race Face BB with only about 40 miles on it is $hit so I put an extra one on. Turns out THAT one is $hit too sooo I left the chain off so I can order a new BB next week. ANYWAYS, I've had an erection over this thing from day one so I just wanted to get it looking good to shoot some bike porn:

My two bltche$ wanted in the shot. The third one was at work. Heeeyyooohhh! Don't tell her I said that.

Jealous about how much attention I'll be giving the bike and not them. Bltche$

Specs:
    Flow Rims/ZTR Hubs GOLD NIPPLEZ
    WTB Bronsons, non TCS run tubeless
    DT Swiss 10x132 RWS
    XT Rear Der
    XT 11-36 Cas
    XT Chain
    SLX 10spd Shifter (rear only)
    Race Face Respond Crank
    Race Face Respond Stem 60mm
    Look Quartz Pedals
    e.13 XCX Chain Guide
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    Specialized Phenom Saddle
    RockShox Reba XX with Xloc Remote
    SLX Brakes
    180 XT Rotors
    Easton Havoc Carbon Bars, 711
    Race Face Sniper Grips
    Stolen Gold Handlebar End Caps
    FSA Headset
    FSA Headset Spacers
    Transition Headset Top Cap
    Partridge In A Pear Tree
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Well done. Looks excellent.
    konahonzo

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Well done. Looks excellent.
    Thank you...I'm that guy who has to have a nice looking bike. Matching parts and $hit...colors matter to me. I should have a vagina just for saying that.

At first I was not stoked about only being able to get Pewter. Sam at Transition said it was a hot looking color and he wasn't kidding. I just got a blue one for one of my customers and it's pretty awesome too and was my first choice but I'm glad I ended up with this.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Nice build!

I'd put a chain on and ride it even with a **** BB!!!

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Nice build!

I'd put a chain on and ride it even with a **** BB!!!
    Yeah, I don't get it...it was fine when I rode it on my 26" TA in October. Bearings feel like they are seizing up and my spare, crunchy as hell. It would drive me bat$hit crazy.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

gmk
    angels get bald too
    Almost done....found out today that my Race Face BB with only about 40 miles on it is $hit so I put an extra one on. Turns out THAT one is $hit too sooo I left the chain off so I can order a new BB next week. ANYWAYS, I've had an erection over this thing from day one so I just wanted to get it looking good to shoot some bike porn:

My two bltche$ wanted in the shot. The third one was at work. Heeeyyooohhh! Don't tell her I said that.

[IMG...[/IMG]

Jealous about how much attention I'll be giving the bike and not them. Bltche$

Specs:
    Flow Rims/ZTR Hubs GOLD NIPPLEZ
    WTB Bronsons, non TCS run tubeless
    DT Swiss 10x135 RWS
    XT Rear Der
    XT 11-36 Cas
    XT Chain
    SLX 10spd Shifter (rear only)
    Race Face Respond Crank
    Race Face Respond Stem 60mm
    Look Quartz Pedals
    e.13 XCX Chain Guide
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    Specialized Phenom Saddle
    RockShox Reba XX with Xloc Remote
    SLX Brakes
    180 XT Rotors
    Easton Havoc Carbon Bars, 711
    Race Face Sniper Grips
    Stolen Gold Handlebar End Caps
    FSA Headset
    FSA Headset Spacers
    Transition Headset Top Cap
    Partridge In A Pear Tree
    awesome ride!

which size?

"Show your bike some love and it will show the love back."
    Eric, niner bikes

the most important vehicle is a 29er bicycle

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Medium...thanks!
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Thank you...I'm that guy who has to have a nice looking bike. Matching parts and $hit...colors matter to me. I should have a vagina just for saying that.
    Man, I'm the same way. Everything must go with each other.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't get it...it was fine when I rode it on my 26" TA in October. Bearings feel like they are seizing up and my spare, crunchy as hell. It would drive me bat$hit crazy.
    I think you need a 29er specific BB then! Ha!

mtbr member

Damn! I'm telling...

The TransAm looks great.

mtbr member
    that is a nice looking bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

I've attached an image of the X7 low clamp so you can see all the garbage hanging off the back that gets in the way of tire clearance.

Awesome guys! Thanks for figuring that one out. We didn't have high clamp 2x10 front derailleurs to test with, and had to roll with low clamp since we couldn't verify that the bulge would be high enough up the tube.

With the 22/36 and 24/38 ring sizes it looks like there is room for the high clamp FD and improved tire clearance as a result. Good on ya!

ride
    We just got in a large blue frame for inventory so I put it on the scale. 6.25lbs.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member

TA 29 ride reports?

Where are the ride reports? Cough em up guys!

Does anyone have experience with the the Revolution 28 29" wheel set yet?

Thanks.

Just roll it......
    Just finished my build last night (including the Transition wheels). Will post up a report after a week or so.

mtbr member

Thanks.
    Mine frame just arrived yesterday but it won't be built up until next Tues/Wed as I'm waiting on the LBS to get in the 142 X 12 CK conversion kit in.

The Tyranical Teabagger

Thanks.
    Meant to ride it today, got busy doing work. Put the new BB on tonight, installed the crank and my chain is way short ( don't know why I thought the chain from my 26" TA would install just fine...but it didn't ). Tomorrow I'll go slap a new XT chain on there and ride it. I promise.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Mine frame just arrived yesterday but it won't be built up until next Tues/Wed as I'm waiting on the LBS to get in the 142 X 12 CK conversion kit in.
    Congrats on pulling the trigger on one. If only I was that decisive.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Congrats on pulling the trigger on one. If only I was that decisive.
    LOL - Even though I will initially run 1X9 with 2.35" tires I wanted to have the option to run a front derailleur and 2.4"+ tires. Once I saw ignazjr confirmed that large tires and a front der worked on the TransAm 29er I was sold.

Just roll it......
    Got my first ride on the bike today. A 2 hour xc (late) lunch loop that I'm pretty familiar with....

No real comments until I get more saddle time and feel like the bike is dialed for me. That said, here are some pics.

Specialized purgatory 2.4's with plenty of room in the frame - although the LG1 chainguide on my bike is having some rubbing issues when I corner.

You can see how close it comes to the chainguide without any flex of the tire.

Also plenty of room for the 44 ti 'zocchi fork.

mtbr member
    Wicked build. Looks sick. 120 or 140 up front?
    konahonzo

Propr
    SICK!!! Love the color
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Damn you Transition. Why do you have to be sold out of mediums?? Waiting until April I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Squib38 View Post
    Damn you Transition. Why do you have to be sold out of mediums?? Waiting until April I guess.
    They will be available again a little earlier than that... we are rushing some of the production.

mtbr member
    ^ Definitely my favorite build so far. Looks so good in small, the XL proportions look a lot more awkward.
    konahonzo

Just roll it......
    Wicked build. Looks sick. 120 or 140 up front?
    140mm....got the crazy deal off of hucknroll. Couldn't pass it up and then needed a frame to match the fork!

Build is as follows:
    Size Small TA-29'er
    Transition T-Bar 30 bars
    Thomson 70mm stem
    FSA headset
    Juicy 7 brakes
    Marzocchi 44 ti fork 140mm (tapered / qr15)
    Stylo cranks (with shimano spd pedals) and 32 tooth chainring
    LG1 chainguide
    X9 derailleur and shifter / 11-34 cassette
    KS 5" dropper post
    Transition AM saddle
    Transition Revolution 29'er wheels
    Specialized Purgatory 2.4 tires.

Weight: No idea....guessing 30'ish?

Propr
    140mm....got the crazy deal off of . Couldn't pass it up and then needed a frame to match the fork!

Well, again...it looks sweet, and make sure to give us some feed back when you have more miles on that beauty.

Can't wait for my Bandit two9 to show up
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    140mm....got the crazy deal off of . Couldn't pass it up and then needed a frame to match the fork!

Build is as follows:
    Size Small TA-29'er
    Transition T-Bar 30 bars
    Thomson 70mm stem
    FSA headset
    Juicy 7 brakes
    Marzocchi 44 ti fork 140mm (tapered / qr15)
    Stylo cranks (with shimano spd pedals) and 32 tooth chainring
    LG1 chainguide
    X9 derailleur and shifter / 11-34 cassette
    KS 5" dropper post
    Transition AM saddle
    Transition Revolution 29'er wheels
    Specialized Purgatory 2.4 tires.

Looks great ebxtreme. I went for the blue frame with the tapered 140mm Marz 44 as well.

OT a bit - When I have installed crown races in the past on my straight steerer forks I just use a section of PVC pipe to bang the race on to the fork. Of course when I went to put the crown race on my taper fork the dang piece of PVC was too skinny. So, before I go to the hardware store and buy a larger diameter section of PVC (dang, I have a ghetto tool box) is their another do it yourself method? I used the the hammer and screwdriver method BITD but that is even worse than my PVC method.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks great ebxtreme. I went for the blue frame with the tapered 140mm Marz 44 as well.

OT a bit - When I have installed crown races in the past on my straight steerer forks I just use a section of PVC pipe to bang the race on to the fork. Of course when I went to put the crown race on my taper fork the dang piece of PVC was too skinny. So, before I go to the hardware store and buy a larger diameter section of PVC (dang, I have a ghetto tool box) is their another do it yourself method? I used the the hammer and screwdriver method BITD but that is even worse than my PVC method.
    With the Cane Creek or FSA headsets the taper on the bearing is large enough for this...

Cut a split in the race with a hacksaw (so it looks like the compression ring up top). Then it installs and removes by hand. The tapered contact of the bearing squeezes the race down on the steerer once you preload the bearings. I can't reccomend that for a Chris King because they (at least they used to) have a much smaller tapered contact.

Works great! I do it all the time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    It has ISCG-05 tabs, but no downtube cable mounts as far as I know. You could rig up some type of cable guide that is captured by one of the water bottle bolts, though.
    OK, so apart from no cable routing....does it fit the HS? Anyone? Bueller?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast