Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    The Tyranical Teabagger
    Are you running the horizontal dropuouts (looks like it)? Any wheel slippage? I'm doing a 70+ miler in September and want to use my TA as an SS for the race. I have the DT Swiss RWS thru bolt so I think it will be ok, not sure though.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

mtbr member
    Well, I hate that I just saw this....Ordered the MRP MiniG2 Steel last night. Do you know if the mini has a different backplate? I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If it doesn't work I suppose I'll just return it and get an S4.

Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post

I originally had this MRP G2 guide and if you look at the back plate its got a much bigger diameter so the bottom left of the back plate hits the chain stay before it contacts the tab. You can use spacers but it will push the chain guide way too far out.

Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs View Post
    Just completed a grueling 55km jamboree on my SS TA bike, in 6 hours. Don't mine the human on the bike.

Attachment 810628

Attachment 810629
    Looking Good bro...Teh Gunung Satu hehehe

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    has anyone a picture of the red frame with white fork and rims/hubs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm View Post
    Are you running the horizontal dropuouts (looks like it)? Any wheel slippage? I'm doing a 70+ miler in September and want to use my TA as an SS for the race. I have the DT Swiss RWS thru bolt so I think it will be ok, not sure though.
    yups, running horizontal dropouts. I bought it and the 135mm geared dropouts, so I am free to use any wheels. I am running Hadley's 135x10mm hub with titanium bolts. The DT Swiss RWS should do just fine, if its paired to the correct hub.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    btw, there was a bit of slippage when I didn't tighten the bolts properly, operator error.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    Looking Good bro...Teh Gunung Satu hehehe
    hahaha thanks.

mtbr member
    So, I got the MRP MiniG2 Steel to work. I barely had clearance so I gave it a couple of taps with a hammer to get a little more. I had to use the spacers. As for the upper guide I used one of the extra spacers. Works great. I wouldn't recommend this Chainguide if you want something to "plug n play" but it's exactly what I wanted and the right price at under $80.
    Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

mtbr member
    Just finished building up the Transition TransAM 29'er ... dig it ... this is my first 29'er. Didn't really miss a beat going from 26" HT to 29" HT.

(yup, I know ... there's a bit much steer tube exposed ... not totally sold on the forks yet, so I'll trim it down a bit if they're gonna be around for a while)

So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-img_0080.jpg

Specs:

Frame: 2012 Transition TransAM med
    Forks: White Brothers Loop 120mm
    Crankset: Shimano SLX (1x9)
    Stem: Truvativ Hussefelt 60mm
    Handlebars: Truvativ Hussefelt Comp 675mm
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Brakes: Hayes Stroker Rhyde
    Shifter: Shimano SLX
    Derailleur: Shimano XT (front is a sudo-chainguide)
    Seat: WTB Rocket V
    Seat Post: Thomson
    Pedals: Answer Drive
    Hoops: Stan's FLOW
    Hubs: Stan's 3.30HD
    Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph
    '12 Transition Bandit29
    '12 Transition TransAM 29
    '13 On-One Inbred 29'er LTD ED Single Speed

unrooted

Xl ta 29 2012

So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-image.jpg

2012 TransAm 29- size XL
    Rock shox reba 2010 with 20mm maxle (swapped out lowers)
    CaneCreek angleset-.5 degrees
    90mm raceface stem (soon to be 70x10)
    Easton haven carbon bar 711mm
    Oury Lockon grips
    Shimano XT m770 shifter-modified for double down click
    XTR cable/housing
    Avid Elixer cr brakes-180mm rotors
    Rck Shox Reverb Seatpost-125mm drop
    Crank Brothers Iodine 11saddle (made by FIZIK)
    Transition Seatpost collar
    XT 11-34 cassette
    XTR Long cage 9 derailleur
    Stans/hope pro 2 evo crest wheels (soon to be Flow Ex)
    Truvativ Firex crankset
    Race Face Narrow/wide Singlering-30t
    XT trail pedals
    Ardent 2.4 front
    Spec Purgaty UST rear

Current weight=28.8 lbs
    With flows~29.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Heres mine from NZ

Here's mine from NZ,So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-tm29ss.jpg
    At that stage running SS with a der as a tensioner now running 1 x 10, love it....

meh?
    What size is your frame?

Quote Originally Posted by KenDeRailleurHanger View Post
    Here's mine from NZ,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TM29SS.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	373.9 KB 
ID:	831487
    At that stage running SS with a der as a tensioner now running 1 x 10, love it....
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Large, video here, 10 points if anyone can tell what the drum tracks from and who the drummer is ;Nigels New Transition Trans Am - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDeRailleurHanger View Post
    Large, video here, 10 points if anyone can tell what the drum tracks from and who the drummer is ;Nigels New Transition Trans Am - YouTube
    Fool in the Rain-John Bonham.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Brilliant! I just wanted to see if anyone here was old enough to remember music from the seventies!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I really like these trans am 29ers. I am thinking of ditching my Heckler and getting one of these as my do it all bike. I love the simplicity. I ride in the Seattle area, just a trail rider nothing crazy. If I do want to do bigger stuff I'll either rent a big bike in Whistler or possibly just keep the Heckler. for those of you who use this as your everyday ride what are your thoughts on going back to a hard tail from a full suspension 6 inch bike? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

All purpose?

Hey CharlieDog,
    I'm loving my TransAm 29, I did run it SS for around 6 months with a rear der as a tensioner. I rode it this way everywhere including shuttling at Rotorua.
    I changed to, then persevered with a thru axle on Transition SS drop outs which slipped often, before going 1 x 10.
    I also have a Kona Unit SS with a 100mm Fox Float, 60mm stem and 750mm bars that's nearly as much fun to ride.
    I've only had a few rides since changing to 1 x 10 on the TA and am looking forward to shuttling at Rotorua and taking it to the South Island next year.
    I do not miss my FS bike at all, I think the large capacity tires, 140 mm Revelation and the steel frame saw me ride all sorts of tracks and not suffer with a sore back or backside....... !

mtbr member
    Hi CharlieDog,
    I used a Thudbuster to soften the hits, but now that I am running SS, I've since replaced it with a normal seatpost, as I no longer spin up the hills. I dismount and push if its too steep. hehehehhehe

Even when bombing down, I've set fork, Zocchi Micto Ti to 140mm, I am standing up and leaning back. my previous 29er, a Zion 737, had rigid fork on. My TA 29er is scary fast on the descent!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am sold on the bike. I can get a 2013 transam 29er for $2000 plus tax at the shop in Bellingham. The build leaves a little to be desired, a lot of X5 stuff and elixir 3 brakes. But it has a good fox fork. There is also a 2012 medium frame only on the transition website for $479. Wondering if I could do a total build including frame for under $2000 or if it would be better to buy the whole thing from the shop and replace drivetrain stuff as it wears out. I'll do some searching for build kits/parts online, but I am getting the bike one way or the other.

unrooted
    Look at merlincycles.com & wiggle. I think you could do a really nice, full xt build for 2-2,500. A lot cheaper than replacing all the lowend stuff transition puts on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well here it is. Was all set to buy a new one then this popped up for sale used. Medium 2012, stock build with a command post dropper and different saddle for $1500. Sold my Heckler to get this so quite a big change for me. This thing looks awesome. Ride report coming soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    Well here it is. Was all set to buy a new one then this popped up for sale used. Medium 2012, stock build with a command post dropper and different saddle for $1500. Sold my Heckler to get this so quite a big change for me. This thing looks awesome. Ride report coming soon.
    Congrats on the new bike. Treat her right. - Former owner.
    ---------------------
    2010 Trek Scratch 7 converted to all air w/ "extras"
    2011 Specialized Demo II

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So I've had my Transam for a couple rides now and I am really glad I sold my Heckler and bought it. For the riding I do the vast majority of the time this bike is awesome. I was a little nervous going back to a hardtail after 2 previous full suspension bikes but it is so much fun. Some observations:

1. It is definitely a different feel than a full suspension (duh) but the ride is not harsh, the frame is really stiff and the fox fork is super nice
    2. You have to be more careful with the lines you pick- no big deal just means you have to pay attention
    3. This thing is fast! I was flying through one section and I had to slow down because I was going to miss a turn, that has never happened with my old bike and I have ridden this same trail 100+ times. I am a 29er believer now
    4. Dropper post helps
    5. This thing is sick looking and gets a lot of compliments

That's all I got for now hoping to get out on some other trails when I can

mtbr member
    good to know you're enjoying the bike

unrooted
    On the Geometry chart for the TA29 do you measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the headtube?

I am running a 2011 reba, I have heard it has a really short a2c despite 120mm travel. I would really like to get a 140mm F29 w/34mm stanchions. Anyone else done that?

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast