Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    I would give the Kona Honzo another look as well.
    It's a fit thing there as well - while the stack and TT on the Paradox is longer than I want by a fair bit but the reach number isn't too bad, the Honzo has a longer reach and TT, while having the stack about the same.

Again, comparing to the numbers of my TransAM - a bike I'm very much comfortable on in terms of fit and geometry.

I'm nerding out about all the numbers because firstly I can't really get much in the way of test rides on any of these bikes very easily, and secondly, I don't want a repeat of my first experiment with a 29er hardtail. It very much sucked. I'm not wanting to dive in, shell out cash for the thing, and not like things. Thus the questioning. I want more than a little spin around the parking lot, bouncing around curbs and such to sell me on it.

I think the Paradox borrowing early next week will work to anwser all my questions. Planning to hit up two of my favorite and most ridden spots, reflective of most of the riding that I really like. The fit isn't perfect for what I like, but it's close enough that it ought to give me a good enough idea if building up a TA29 is the right move, or sticking with the
    TA26-->Kamui swap is best.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    It's a fit thing there as well - while the stack and TT on the Paradox is longer than I want by a fair bit but the reach number isn't too bad, the Honzo has a longer reach and TT, while having the stack about the same.

Again, comparing to the numbers of my TransAM - a bike I'm very much comfortable on in terms of fit and geometry.
    Sounds exactly that you know what you want. Kinda like me when the season ended and I said I want a 29er for this upcoming season starting in the spring. And I too am using my current TransAM to know what I want for the next frame geometry, something with a longer ETT and reach most importantly. And believe me, I looked at every AMHT frame out there (Canfield Yelli Screamy and Nimble9, Transition TransAM 29er, Banshee Paradox, Chromag Surface, 2SoulsCycles QH/Slim Jim and the Kona Honzo).

At first I wanted the Chromag ($1500+) but going over the swap costs with what I can reuse from the TransAM, I could be on any other frame along with new required parts (like a 29er fork and wheelset) for a little more than the price of the Chromag Surface frame. It's a lot to stomach to pay for a HT frame. The same with the 2Souls frame, at $1200+, plus the XL is just like the TransAM in fit and the XXL doesn't look like it's going to be made any time soon.

The Yelli Screamy (even though I had a purple ano frame and sold) and the Banshee Paradox are out because I like the feel of steel on a HT frame, especially with big volume rubber.

Looking at your TransAM pics, I can definitely see you ripping it on a Small TtransAM 29er.
    Last edited by eurospek; 02-14-2012 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Very interested in one of these frames at the moment but there is just one thing holding me back.
    First of all I am sold on the 29er thing I have had one for the last 3 years but only as a XC hardtail which I think there are loads of advantages over a 26" HT.
    But I like to do everything from XC epics on my 29er to shreding on my TR250. That's why I have always liked 26" "All Mountain" hardtails as I can go on a ride and do a fun XC loop then hit up some local DH tracks on the way back.
    So the Transam 29 has got me thinking. Is it possible to have all the advantages of the big wheels but still have all the fun of the small wheels?
    If I have had one I would never like to be on a ride then come to a section of track and think I would have done that if I had a 26" bike. What are the like to jump and on steep tech stuff?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    For me almost everything on that frame is spot on - only thing that holds me back is the weight, as I was looking for a XC bike in the first place. I might go the AM route though, but then with a dropper post.

Does the frame have cable guides for four cables (FD, RD, RBr and seatpost) underneath the top tube, or just for three? Can't tell really on the pictures.

Thanks,

Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepp View Post
    For me almost everything on that frame is spot on - only thing that holds me back is the weight, as I was looking for a XC bike in the first place. I might go the AM route though, but then with a dropper post.

Does the frame have cable guides for four cables (FD, RD, RBr and seatpost) underneath the top tube, or just for three? Can't tell really on the pictures.

Thanks,

Joe
    It's only 3 spots to keep it neat and tidy under the top tube, but if you do run all 4 cables you can just "buddy strap" them together zip ties on the other spots and keeps them closer together than we would have been able to do with 4 sets of cable guides. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Scrub it will be interesting to hear how your test ride goes on your favourite trails.

I rode lots of the same type of trails back in Ontario on the Niagra Escarpment. Short quick ups and downs with trails type playground in rock gardens. Just switching between a fs bike and the ht there is a big difference in enjoyment on those types of trails. The ht certainly rocks it on that stuff.

I'd be surprised if you like the 29er on that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Scrub it will be interesting to hear how your test ride goes on your favourite trails.

I rode lots of the same type of trails back in Ontario on the Niagra Escarpment. Short quick ups and downs with trails type playground in rock gardens. Just switching between a fs bike and the ht there is a big difference in enjoyment on those types of trails. The ht certainly rocks it on that stuff.

I'd be surprised if you like the 29er on that stuff.
    Heh. You will not be surprised, then.

Didn't work for me. Set up the bike with my wide bars, stem, seat and post. Got the controls and seating all nice and comfy.

As everyone knows, once up to speed it rocked - rolled right over stuff. It was everything else that sucked for me. I really disliked the slow speed and trials-y move handling.

Found it very much sucky to get the front end up, and to move the rear of the bike around in the way I like to move it around when riding. Even with low bars, no spacers under the stem, found it very difficult to get the front end weighted how I like. I tend to ride very forward, and weight the front end a lot.

There are lots of 29er riders I've seen who ride the same way, even on similar terrain. It works for them, but not for me. Lots of comments I see about having to ride differently, re-learn, etc. Great, but I'm not interested in that. I like the way I ride, and have fun that way - no desire to alter that.

More and more locals are on 29ers around me, but when I see them out on the trails, the majority of them are just steam rolling over ****, not bothering with any sort of finesse - just letting the bike do the work. Now, there are plenty I've seen who don't ride that way, so you 29er jihadi types don't go all nuts on me - I'm not lumping you all together. Hell, the dude who lent me the Paradox is a very skilled and full of finesse rider who can kick my ass on a ride up, down, sideways.

Curiosity once again satisfied, and I'll keep my Chromag Kamui order standing.

Fake it 'til you make it

Stand Up!

The advantages of the big wheels will not be understood until you get your ass off of the saddle!

The bike needs to move beneath you.

You have big time traction now; so you can shorten your stem (I run a 38mm). It makes these bikes come alive.

Your fitness will catch up, quickly, once you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JLantz View Post
    The advantages of the big wheels will not be understood until you get your ass off of the saddle!

The bike needs to move beneath you.

You have big time traction now; so you can shorten your stem (I run a 38mm). It makes these bikes come alive.

Your fitness will catch up, quickly, once you understand.

Uh, I move the bike around beneath me already. A lot. It was a pain in the ass to do so on the Paradox. Cumbersome and sluggish feeling compared to my 26ers. That's physics talking there, not just talking out my ass.

I don't have problems with traction on the 26er, thanks again. That's not what it was about. And I was trying it with a 50mm stem as is. A shorter stem would make one of my biggest complaints even worse.

My fitness is fine, thanks, but I appreciate your concern.

But you're welcome to keep pushing the cult. Yeah, I get it - they work great - for some people. Some of the 29er zealots need to understand though that they don't work the same for everyone.

I'm not going to shell out the money on a bike in the hopes that I might like it. Been there, done that with my prior 29er tryout, and intensely disliked the experience, even worse than this time.

There are plenty of benefits to the larger wheels - it's idiocy to deny that. But they don't outweigh the negatives for me and how I like to ride.

mtbr member
    But Paradox is not steel.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs
    But Paradox is not steel.
    F'ing duh.

having it be in steel won't fix my issues with the way the bike handled. Steel is my preference, but when the only bike like this I can get a test ride on happens to be alu, well, I'm not going to turn it down.

Big wheels work for some riders, not for others. End of story. Blanket pronouncements of them being the best bikes for everyone are just dumb.

I still like the idea, and am not averse to them. If I ever get a ride on one and really like it, yeah, I'll be buying one.

mtbr member

Bump to the thread

I took the TransAm out last week on a couple of the more technical trails we have around hear and it handled really well on tight switchbacks and step ups. It even did fine on the downhill chunk - although I was slower on the downs than I am on my Endorphin. I put the thudbuster on for the chunk and while it did help my old back the setback really made the TT feel too long.

TransAM pictured here with my SE Racing OM Flyer

mtbr member
    Hi noosa, did the 135 and SS dropouts came with the frame? part of the package? or did you have to order separately? Transition's website dont indicate anything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs View Post
    Hi noosa, did the 135 and SS dropouts came with the frame? part of the package? or did you have to order separately? Transition's website dont indicate anything
    The frame came with the 142mm dropouts. You have to order the 135mm and/or SS separate.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Thanks noosa, was any price quoted to you for either of the optional dropouts?

mtbr member
    Thanks noosa, was any price quoted to you for either of the optional dropouts?
    Basically $30 a pop, and you need 2 so $60 for either running a 135x10 QR Vertical dropout or 135x10 SS Horizontal dropout.

Transition Bikes

mtbr member
    Thanks eurospek.

mtbr member
    Hi all,
    would this rear wheel fit in the std TransAm29 dropout? Its a Syntace X12

Fulcrum Red Power 29 XL Wheelset | Evans Cycles

QR/15mm thru-axle adapter kit for the front wheel and Syntace X-12 135/142mm adapter kit for the rear wheel included

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I took the TransAm out last week on a couple of the more technical trails we have around hear and it handled really well on tight switchbacks and step ups. It even did fine on the downhill chunk - although I was slower on the downs than I am on my Endorphin. I put the thudbuster on for the chunk and while it did help my old back the setback really made the TT feel too long.

TransAM pictured here with my SE Racing OM Flyer

nice! digging the OM Flyer and TA29. I like SE and Transition myself.

Fake it 'til you make it
    Barf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chromejesus View Post
    I just finished building my Trans Am 29er. Haven't ridden it yet. Hopefully it'll stop raining by my weekend on Tuesday.

Trans Am 29er size Large
    Fox 34 lowered to 120mm
    Race Face bar
    Aka Stem
    XT 10 Speed Shifters
    XT cranks
    XT rear and SLX front Derailleurs
    XT cassette
    Thomson Post
    WTB saddle
    Straitline Pedals
    SLX brakes
    Hope Pro2 eve Hubs on Stan's Flows

Hi cj,
    are you using the std 142x12 dropouts? I've been finding it difficult to get hubs for this.

mtbr member
    Hi cj,
    are you using the std 142x12 dropouts? I've been finding it difficult to get hubs for this.
    Hey WarPigs I am using the standard 142x12 dropouts. I am using a hope pro2 evo wheel set that I had on my Tallboy. For these all I had to do was buy a conversion kit that wasn't very hard to install.

Wednesday I took the trans am on its first Pisgah ride and it slayed Black Mtn Trail. I surprised my self with how fast I was able to go through the gnar. I felt stable and 100% more confident than I ever felt on my Tallboy.

And heres some pics from Wednesday

and stats

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Trans AM 29er Large Blue

Mine is in the mail, LBS says Monday at the latest and it will be in my hands. I cant wait to get it out on the trail.

I'm with stupid
    Does anyone know if there is a way to get a SS build from transition? All the same as the other build minus the drivetrain being set up as a single speed? Or just a for and frame set up?

gringo-fied facsimiles

Born on the 29th!

First ride was on the 1st. Needs a little dialing in but should prove to be a great trail bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-trans29.jpg  

http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast