Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Just roll it......
    Jingleman,

I'm 5'8" and I'm on a small with a 70mm stem. FWIW, I do like shorter cockpits, but this is fitting me great.

EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleman
    nice!..where did you get that pic?..I'm 5,7..I wonder if would it be too small for me?..
    Eastside Cycles Gallery - Customers Bikes via Google Image Search

mtbr member

Just finished mine

I just finished building my Trans Am 29er. Haven't ridden it yet. Hopefully it'll stop raining by my weekend on Tuesday.

Trans Am 29er size Large
    Fox 34 lowered to 120mm
    Race Face bar
    Aka Stem
    XT 10 Speed Shifters
    XT cranks
    XT rear and SLX front Derailleurs
    XT cassette
    Thomson Post
    WTB saddle
    Straitline Pedals
    SLX brakes
    Hope Pro2 eve Hubs on Stan's Flows

WNC Native
    Sharp bike!!! I'm itching to sell of my Yelli frame and dive on one of these Pewter ones.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    chromejesus, that looks sweet. I finally got my camera to talk to my computer again so here's mine.

This pic of the seatstay is not really clear but there is lots of room with a 2.35" FR3 - the chainstay has even more room.

It is built pretty burly and comes in at 30lbs even.

mtbr member
    As much as I like my pewter frame, that blue with a black fork and wheels looks wicked!!!

mtbr member
    Hi, anyone tried a 100mm fork on this frame? How would it ride? Might need to fit my WB IMV 100 until I get a 120mm fork. Currently running Zion's 29er rigid fork on my Zion 737 29er frame. btw, would this rigid fork be ok on this frame? TIA.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    can someone explain me how the adjustment of the rear brake with sliding dropouts works?
    is the brake moveable, too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by othu View Post
    can someone explain me how the adjustment of the rear brake with sliding dropouts works?
    is the brake moveable, too?
    Transition posted this somewhere...

According to them, the sliding dropouts have a short adjustment length. This it will not affect rotor to brake pad contact enough to cause any problems.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    A small 1-2mm spacer under the caliper may help with clearance as well.

I'm with stupid
    Where can I order a large frame from?

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Where can I order a large frame from?

I tapped that
    Give these guys a call. They always hook it up!!

Drop n' Zone Mountian Bike Gear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    give these guys a call. They always hook it up!!

drop n' zone mountian bike gear

yes!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chromejesus View Post
    I just finished building my Trans Am 29er. Haven't ridden it yet. Hopefully it'll stop raining by my weekend on Tuesday.

Trans Am 29er size Large
    Fox 34 lowered to 120mm
    Race Face bar
    Aka Stem
    XT 10 Speed Shifters
    XT cranks
    XT rear and SLX front Derailleurs
    XT cassette
    Thomson Post
    WTB saddle
    Straitline Pedals
    SLX brakes
    Hope Pro2 eve Hubs on Stan's Flows

Why did you lower the fork to 120mm? Are you concerned the geometry is off with the 140mm fork? I ask because that's what I am planning to get.
    Does anyone have experience with a zero stack headset on this frame? It would help to keep the front down with a 140mm fork, but I winder whether the Fox F29 would still clear the down tube.

dK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs View Post
    Hi, anyone tried a 100mm fork on this frame? How would it ride? Might need to fit my WB IMV 100 until I get a 120mm fork. Currently running Zion's 29er rigid fork on my Zion 737 29er frame. btw, would this rigid fork be ok on this frame? TIA.
    I have ridden few miles with my fork set at 110mm but I prefer the fork set at 140mm. You could get by with a 100 mm fork but I think the bike is such a blast to ride downhill that you may eventually want something with more travel.

mtbr member
    Hi noosa2, thanks, I ultimately want to get a 120mm or more fork, just that I only have a 100mm on hand currently.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zyclopath View Post
    Why did you lower the fork to 120mm? Are you concerned the geometry is off with the 140mm fork? I ask because that's what I am planning to get.
    Does anyone have experience with a zero stack headset on this frame? It would help to keep the front down with a 140mm fork, but I winder whether the Fox F29 would still clear the down tube.

dK
    FYI that our spec A-C is a 120mm F29 Fox 32 fork. Even lowered to 120mm, the Fox 34 fork is a taller A-C due to a beefier crown. Not a big difference, but it is there.

Just roll it......
    Been getting out for a bunch of 2-3 hour xc rides on the two-giner lately. Gotta say this bike is super fun, gets up to speed reasonably well and rips through the techie xc that we've got in Bellingham.

Last night, I ticked off a few jumps that I hadn't hit on it.....all of which are in the 8-12 foot range. Still didn't feel confident enough to hit the the final three jumps on the trail. We were night riding, so maybe I'll try them in the day. Gotta get some vid and pics of the bike in action. Very stoked on it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Been getting out for a bunch of 2-3 hour xc rides on the two-giner lately. Gotta say this bike is super fun, gets up to speed reasonably well and rips through the techie xc that we've got in Bellingham.

Last night, I ticked off a few jumps that I hadn't hit on it.....all of which are in the 8-12 foot range. Still didn't feel confident enough to hit the the final three jumps on the trail. We were night riding, so maybe I'll try them in the day. Gotta get some vid and pics of the bike in action. Very stoked on it!
    Yup...you're officially ruined
    Let's get the vid/pics up ASAP!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zyclopath View Post

dK
    got a weight on it?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Yup...you're officially ruined
    Let's get the vid/pics up ASAP!
    Yeah, I'm gonna try to get some images or vid on that thing. The bike really is crazy fun. I did get my first pinch flat the other night with a botched double-up attempt. I can 100% say there's been several times where I would've flatted the 26 doing similar stuff and was expecting it and it just didn't materialize. Likely more credit to the big hoops!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Hey all, got a few questions and concerns about the TA29. Long - sorry!

on the fence about swapping my TransAM 26er for either a nice shiny and refined Chromag Kamui...or going the other direction and building up a TA29. I'd be swapping everything over from my TA26 save for the fork/headset/wheel setup, obviously. Already have a deposit with Drop'n'Zone for the next run of Kamui frames, but am pretty sure they'd let me just turn that over into a TA29 frame. The Kamui is gorgeous, and I think would suit me very well, but i can't help being still curious about the bigger wheels. I've even thought of just diving in and going for a Surface frame, but the thought of that much coin on a big wheel bike when I'm not sure if I'll like it makes me sorta' gag.

I know the wheels can work well for the terrain I have around here, but am just not sure for the way I like to ride. Lots of hopping, lots of body english, slow speed tech and trialsy bits paired with short bits of high speed short and steep stuff. Not a ton of long climbs - stuff tends to be short and steep, both up and down. I like my wheelie drops, I like my lurch moves, front wheel pivot moves, rock ups and steep rolls, tight corners, etc. I know a lot of you have and like riding similar stuff, so give me the scoop.

Can someone with a size small frame give me an idea of the frame weight? Not something I'm hung up on, but still...

Paradox appeals, but even their smallest size is still larger than I like. Honzo as well, but I don't need that much of a freakin' tank for a frame. Other stuff is out, for a variety of reasons. Geometry or fit in most cases, or price. Basically looking for the fit of my TA with the Paradox/TA29 geometry.

Downside is getting any sort of test ride on something like that around here is near impossible. Everything available is either too damn big, or way more long/stretched/XC-ish for my preferences. Have a line on a Paradox that I may be able to borrow for a couple days, and tweak the fit as best I can, but still think it'll feel too big for me. The TT is an inch longer than I like, and while the reach is pretty damn similar, the stack is way hgiher than I'm used to and prefer. I like my low front end.

Which leads me to the TA29 - seems the best fit in terms of the numbers on paper, but again, no way for me to ride one. My last experience building up a 29er sicked, but things have come along way since then.

Fresh Kool Aid [o]

Take other frame and tweak geo with angled headset, different dropouts, what? If anyone has other thoughts or suggestions, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Hey all, got a few questions and concerns about the TA29. Long - sorry!

on the fence about swapping my TransAM 26er for either a nice shiny and refined Chromag Kamui...or going the other direction and building up a TA29. I'd be swapping everything over from my TA26 save for the fork/headset/wheel setup, obviously. Already have a deposit with Drop'n'Zone for the next run of Kamui frames, but am pretty sure they'd let me just turn that over into a TA29 frame. The Kamui is gorgeous, and I think would suit me very well, but i can't help being still curious about the bigger wheels. I've even thought of just diving in and going for a Surface frame, but the thought of that much coin on a big wheel bike when I'm not sure if I'll like it makes me sorta' gag.

I know the wheels can work well for the terrain I have around here, but am just not sure for the way I like to ride. Lots of hopping, lots of body english, slow speed tech and trialsy bits paired with short bits of high speed short and steep stuff. Not a ton of long climbs - stuff tends to be short and steep, both up and down. I like my wheelie drops, I like my lurch moves, front wheel pivot moves, rock ups and steep rolls, tight corners, etc. I know a lot of you have and like riding similar stuff, so give me the scoop.

Can someone with a size small frame give me an idea of the frame weight? Not something I'm hung up on, but still...

Paradox appeals, but even their smallest size is still larger than I like. Honzo as well, but I don't need that much of a freakin' tank for a frame. Other stuff is out, for a variety of reasons. Geometry or fit in most cases, or price. Basically looking for the fit of my TA with the Paradox/TA29 geometry.

Downside is getting any sort of test ride on something like that around here is near impossible. Everything available is either too damn big, or way more long/stretched/XC-ish for my preferences. Have a line on a Paradox that I may be able to borrow for a couple days, and tweak the fit as best I can, but still think it'll feel too big for me. The TT is an inch longer than I like, and while the reach is pretty damn similar, the stack is way hgiher than I'm used to and prefer. I like my low front end.

Which leads me to the TA29 - seems the best fit in terms of the numbers on paper, but again, no way for me to ride one. My last experience building up a 29er sicked, but things have come along way since then.

Fresh Kool Aid [o]

Take other frame and tweak geo with angled headset, different dropouts, what? If anyone has other thoughts or suggestions, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

I have a similar riding style...XC/AM here in the Southeast. 29er is legit and the TA29 is about as legit as they get for my style (I'm in the industry so I get to ride a lot of other 29ers). Very few people get it right the first time and for these guys, a small 'core company TO get it right is impressive. Short, steep "punchy" climbs are perfect for a 29er. Honestly, you wouldn't know you were on a 29er...until you know you're on a 29er. Do it.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm View Post
    I have a similar riding style...XC/AM here in the Southeast. 29er is legit and the TA29 is about as legit as they get for my style (I'm in the industry so I get to ride a lot of other 29ers). Very few people get it right the first time and for these guys, a small 'core company TO get it right is impressive. Short, steep "punchy" climbs are perfect for a 29er. Honestly, you wouldn't know you were on a 29er...until you know you're on a 29er. Do it.

Yeah, that's what I hear.

Actually now have a Paradox loaner bike for Monday/Tuesday lined up. Owner says he's cool with me swapping on my shorter stem/wider bar/dropper post and tweaking things for my fit. Will ride two of my favorite spots those days.

Should give me enough of an acid test to see if I want to go for it, or stick with the Kamui.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Honzo as well, but I don't need that much of a freakin' tank for a frame.
    Have you seen actual frame weights of the Honzo or going off the one thread where someone received a pre-production frame weighing under 8 lbs?

A Large TransAM 29er weighs 6.4 lbs according to their website, a 20" XL Honzo frame weighs around 6 lbs (and long story short I had a 20L Honzo frame at the house a few weeks back and it was 6.5 lbs) so it's not a real tank of a frame per say as people make it out to be.

I would give the Kona Honzo another look as well.

But I will say the TransAM 29er in S and Medium is one of the best looking and proportioned AMHT 29er frames out now.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast