Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice bike, Earthpig.

I'm very interested by the 2015 and newer version of this bike (possibly setup as single-speed), to complement my enduro bike (a Knolly Chilcotin). There seem to be no TransAM around here for testing, unfortunately...

My most burning question would be if the advantages of steel (shock absorption) are worth it compared to the disadvantages (extra weight). Do you feel that the tail flexes a bit and reduces bumps? The new Kona Honzo (KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | HONZO | Honzo AL/DL) would be a nice, aluminum alternative.

I'm 5'9" tall. Do you think a medium frame would suit? Or would large be better? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This frame is pretty stiff on steel, no flex felt. I think it's the way to go for modern hard tail. Maxxis Icon 2.35 on rear I love the feel of the bike, I would go large with 35mm stem.

Uncle
    I'm in about a two dozen rides on my Large TA29 after swapping over all the parts from an alloy frame of similar geometry. Without a doubt the TA rides smoother than my alloy frame did, despite having shorter and quite stout-tubed stays. Honestly was surprised how noticeable it is over the rougher edged stuff.

Size wise, I'm 6' tall and am running 745mm bars + 60mm stem. Feels about right, as it would with 780mm bar and 50mm stem for me. At 5'9" I'm not sure which frame would suit you best, but I think a few of the guys at Transition are your size. Send them a message for recommendations, see what they say.

So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-20160220_173258.jpg
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

mtbr member
    I'm getting one...

A green one in fact. Gathering up parts for it now, but the main components are:

1) Transition TA frame, size S
    2) Reynolds RA29 AM (internal 23mm width) wheelset (hopefully in real life they are under 2,000g).
    3) RS Revelation 29 130mm Dual Air fork, 20mm thru axle
    4) XT Crankset, BB70
    5) 9 or 10 speed, 11t-36t cassette.
    6) Either a 30t NW chain ring, or a steel single 28t chain ring with a bash guard & a Blackspire ISCG05 Stinger. I've got several setups with the NW and clutch derailleur (meh), so I may go with the stinger option, so I can make use of the ISCG05 tabs on that frame.
    7) KS eTen 100mm lever actuated dropper (keeping the handlebar nice and clean)
    8) I've got a set of orange grips and I'm dying to use them...
    9) I think I may move my black/orange saddle (WTB Volt Comp) from my Kona Unit to match the orange grips.
    10) Need to build it up to determine the stem length, but I have a spare 50mm and a 55mm is in the mail (hopefully).
    11) Bars - I may use the Original Kona Unit low rise bar (750mm), which was replaced with a similarly dimensioned carbon bar. I also have a 720mm flat carbon bar in case I find the bars too high.
    12) SPD pedals
    13) Kenda Nevegal tubeless tires 29x2.2 (will run Stan's tubeless)
    14) I'm on the fence between a clutch rear derailleur or not. If I go 9 speed, then a spare XTR mid cage.
    15) Hydr XT brakes/levers
    16) Like my previous builds, I think I'll stick with a Suntour Thumb Power Shifter and go friction with this bike. Should be super smooth with a non-clutch derailleur. The bashguard and Stinger should make that chain stay put.

My first and only 29er up until now is my Kona Unit. I love the Geometry of that bike. Once in a while, I'd like to take a trail that I cannot single speed up. So, I'm trying to build something similar but with a suspension fork and gears.

The Unit currently has a 485mm A-C carbon fork on it (longer than the stock steel), so the geometry is very similar to the Trasition TA on paper.

This should be fun to build.

The Man In Black
    Feb 2011
    Hey F-Bomb, I think (hard to know if it's just in my head) it really does help smooth things out a bit having steel. I never have a problem with the added weight, you get used to what you ride.

I'm 5'10" and ride a medium TransAm, it fits me great. For our height, we are right on the mid range where we could go medium or large. I would seriously consider what you will be riding most when you decide, tight and twisty, jumps and what not, or are you going to want speed and stability? Your riding style can help you choose. Medium if you want more maneuverability large for more stability. Of course I'm not talking about drastic differences here, but enough to maybe help you decide. I don't think you will regret choosing the TransAm if that's how you go.

mtbr member
    Done with the build. Ended up with a 45mm stem (whatever generic that was available through Amazon Prime), the original grips from the Kona Unit (black), green RF 32t NW (also Prime), OneUp 42t w/ 16t, RADR, Goat link, XT 10spd cassette, and XTR shifter WITHOUT the ISCG05 guide. Everything else as stated.

Maiden voyage up Brown Mt. and down El Prieto singletrack was sublime. Getting used to wide handlebars. The last time I was there, it was on a narrow barred FS 26er.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm loving the heck out of my TA 29. I swapped over a Pike set at 130, KS LEV dropper, a Hope Pro 2 EVO/Light Bicycles 30mm internal rim rear wheel and an XT 1x11 drivetrain. Best hardtail I've ever ridden - hands down more fun than the Banshee Paradox I had built up similarly. I sold my WFO and Jet 9 RDO and am riding the TA 29 almost exclusively now and haven't really missed not having rear suspension (for the most part - our local trails aren't terribly technical.) Great frame. Love it!

29ers Forever
    I am currently trying to sell two of my older mountain bikes so I can buy either a Trans-Am or Kona Honzo frame and build up a new hardtail.

I am hoping there will still be frames available when I have the money to buy one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I am currently trying to sell two of my older mountain bikes so I can buy either a Trans-Am or Kona Honzo frame and build up a new hardtail.

I am hoping there will still be frames available when I have the money to buy one.
    I realize it's a Transition forum, but I found this deal shortly after I built my TransAM 29. If I hadn't already built her up, I'd be all over this:

Jenson USA - Online mountain & road bike parts, clothing and accessories shop | Jenson USA

It's my size too (s).

SC Junkie
    So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-small.jpg

Love this bike. Almost as much as my Scout. Probably the most fun I've ever had on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-image.jpg

This bike has been a ripper! I originally set it up SS, but I some how bent the driveside set screw. No worries though since it operates better with gears.

Ill likely move this build over to a smuggler later in the year. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2017 release.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'll second the "most fun I've ever had on a hardtail" comment. Ditto. The TA 29 has been my go-to bike this year, especially after selling my WFO frame and my Jet 9 RDO. I can ride everything I would ride on my WFO with just as much or more speed and confidence. Stout 130mm fork, fat rubber and a dropper post and this is pretty much a do-anything ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My 2013 TransAM is going through a full upgrade/rebuild; new wheels/tires, 1x drivetrain, new cranks and a new fork. I got rid of a '13 Fox Float CTD that I never really got right and I was having trouble deciding what to replace it with. In the end I went with a lighter 140mm, Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 over a Pike, DVO Diamond or a Fox 34. I've read nothing but great things about the Revelation but was curious how people are liking it on their TransAM.

My TransAM was my main go to bike but now I have my Hightower, it will mostly be used for fast XC/trail riding.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2015 Trek Farley 26fat
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

eci
    Anyone try 27plus tires on a 29TA?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Chainstay is about 75mm wide and thus 3.0" tire wont fit. Haven't tried, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    Anyone try 27plus tires on a 29TA?
    I read on here that someone tried with a wide rim and a 2.8 tire and the clearance wasn't happening. That said, I was considering trying a 35 mm wide rim with a WTB 2.5 tire in the rear and 2.8 in the front.
    2015 Trek Farley 26fat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    My 2013 TransAM is going through a full upgrade/rebuild; new wheels/tires, 1x drivetrain, new cranks and a new fork. I got rid of a '13 Fox Float CTD that I never really got right and I was having trouble deciding what to replace it with. In the end I went with a lighter 140mm, Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 over a Pike, DVO Diamond or a Fox 34. I've read nothing but great things about the Revelation but was curious how people are liking it on their TransAM.

My TransAM was my main go to bike but now I have my Hightower, it will mostly be used for fast XC/trail riding.

I love the Revelation on my TransAM 29. I use the Dual Air to tune it the way I want it. It really is a fun and nimble hardtail.

eci
    hmm.. 2.8/2.5 is pretty inviting

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    I love the Revelation on my TransAM 29. I use the Dual Air to tune it the way I want it. It really is a fun and nimble hardtail.
    Awesome. I got my Revelation yesterday and can't wait to ride it tomorrow to get it dialed. I'm anxious to see how it rides compared to my Pike.

I was thinking this set up would work well with around a 35 mm rim. There aren't many 27.5 x 2.5 tires out there but the WTB Breakout looks like it would do the job nicely.
    2015 Trek Farley 26fat

Uncle
    Sounds like plenty to me. I got some legit 2.4 Geax rubber here waiting for wider-than-my-ArchEX-rims.
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

mtbr member
    My LBS built up a 2016 TA 29 for my stepson and he is having some issues and I would appreciate some input. Problem is he lives in LA and I and my LBS are in VA.

They pretty much copied the build specs of the complete bike you can buy from Transition with one exception, which may or maybe not the key to the puzzle.

I have a 2015 Smuggler and I got a new wheel set with rotors and cassette so I could switch between wheels but I loved the new ones so much I never wanted to switch back to the stock wheels that came with the smuggler (WTB i25 team, '15 schwalbe NN). So while visiting us over the holiday's last year he loved my bike and I showed him the TA, since I had the extra wheel set I wasn't using he commissioning my LBS to build up the TA 29'er for him and I provided the wheel set with cassette and rotors, tires (tubeless already) to help alleviate costs.

so build was:

'16 TA 29'er
    raceface aefect cranks (just like the complete bike build)
    120mm RS yari
    xt brakes
    GX rear deraileur
    RF cockpit, seat post, wtb saddle
    wheelset I provided with sram XG-1195 10-42 cassette & ice tech rotors

so he got it and it seemed to work fine.

on his second ride, he went down pretty hard on the drive side, had dirt and crap all up in the cassette, tweaked the hanger, etc. Since then he was having trouble when pedaling it backwards the chain would skip a few cogs on the rear. He took it to a LBS where he lives and they checked the rear deraileur with the tool and got it straight but it's still having the rear pedaling jumping issue.

About that time we discovered the spec bike from TR comes 10 speed. He's going to ship it back to my LBS (who are great and will get it right for him).

So my question is, is anyone running a 1x11 on their TA with no problems? I think his crash had definitely something to do with it since it seemed to work fine before that.

Any experience or input is greatly appreciated.

(added pic of bike before it was shipped)
    http://i.imgur.com/iEZLUwG.jpg
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker040 View Post
    My LBS built up a 2016 TA 29 for my stepson and he is having some issues and I would appreciate some input. Problem is he lives in LA and I and my LBS are in VA.

They pretty much copied the build specs of the complete bike you can buy from Transition with one exception, which may or maybe not the key to the puzzle.

I have a 2015 Smuggler and I got a new wheel set with rotors and cassette so I could switch between wheels but I loved the new ones so much I never wanted to switch back to the stock wheels that came with the smuggler (WTB i25 team, '15 schwalbe NN). So while visiting us over the holiday's last year he loved my bike and I showed him the TA, since I had the extra wheel set I wasn't using he commissioning my LBS to build up the TA 29'er for him and I provided the wheel set with cassette and rotors, tires (tubeless already) to help alleviate costs.

so build was:

'16 TA 29'er
    raceface aefect cranks (just like the complete bike build)
    120mm RS yari
    xt brakes
    GX rear deraileur
    RF cockpit, seat post, wtb saddle
    wheelset I provided with sram XG-1195 10-42 cassette & ice tech rotors

so he got it and it seemed to work fine.

on his second ride, he went down pretty hard on the drive side, had dirt and crap all up in the cassette, tweaked the hanger, etc. Since then he was having trouble when pedaling it backwards the chain would skip a few cogs on the rear. He took it to a LBS where he lives and they checked the rear deraileur with the tool and got it straight but it's still having the rear pedaling jumping issue.

About that time we discovered the spec bike from TR comes 10 speed. He's going to ship it back to my LBS (who are great and will get it right for him).

So my question is, is anyone running a 1x11 on their TA with no problems? I think his crash had definitely something to do with it since it seemed to work fine before that.

Any experience or input is greatly appreciated.

(added pic of bike before it was shipped)
    http://i.imgur.com/iEZLUwG.jpg

I just finished a 1 x 11 on my TransAM and it works great. As long as the cranks are properly spaced and your chainline is centered, it should work fine.

When the bike was crashed it could have done few things to screw up the shifting - check for bent cassette teeth and for cable stretch bc the bike is new. Also, make the sure the rear derailleur limiter screws were reset after the hangar was straightened.
    2015 Trek Farley 26fat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I just finished a 1 x 11 on my TransAM and it works great. As long as the cranks are properly spaced and your chainline is centered, it should work fine.

When the bike was crashed it could have done few things to screw up the shifting - check for bent cassette teeth and for cable stretch bc the bike is new. Also, make the sure the rear derailleur limiter screws were reset after the hangar was straightened.
    Thank you very much for the reply and advice!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Hey, mtbiker040.

I would have gotten a new derailleur hanger. I've never had any luck straightening a derailleur hanger. It's only $18 from Transition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    Hey, mtbiker040.

I would have gotten a new derailleur hanger. I've never had any luck straightening a derailleur hanger. It's only $18 from Transition.
    yes, my LBS ordered one for him as soon as he heard what happened. Thanks for the suggestion.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker040 View Post
    1x11 XT has a reputation for downshifting if you backpedal while the chain is on the biggest cog. I have 3 bikes with 1x11 XT (including the Trans AM) and they all do it to varying degrees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    1x11 XT has a reputation for downshifting if you backpedal while the chain is on the biggest cog. I have 3 bikes with 1x11 XT (including the Trans AM) and they all do it to varying degrees.
    so I have learned! I even brought my bike to the shop so they could try my rear wheel with the same cassette on it to see if there was an alignment problem and it did the same thing. Then we noticed that even my bike would downshift pedaling backwards on the 42, I had no idea and never noticed it before as it's not something you would normally do while actually riding.

They got him all fixed up, I rode it and it works fine!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Just finished my build yesterday. I'll post some pictures later, but it's nothing special.

The bike is sick. Easily the best $600 I have ever spent (actually costs a bit more than that to make it rideable, but framewise this has to be one of the best deals out there). Riding it for 5 min in a parking lot I knew it was awesome.

Anyway, I think these guys nailed it - inexpensive, fun, and durable. Old-school meets new school.
    Like a fart in a mitten...

mtbr member
    i rode my stepsons TA29 and it basically felt like a hard tail smuggler to me with the geo, loved it
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-13654223_1129587733775019_6976999748589513661_n.jpg
    So Where's the Trans AM 29er?-13669106_1129587743775018_6106224346263362142_n.jpgSo Where's the Trans AM 29er?-13707791_1129587747108351_9206517161455713799_n.jpg

Not quite finished - still a few things to swap and trim, but it's close.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011