Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 464
  1. #226
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,482
    Jayoutside.

    My 26'er is going up for sale later this week. That's how much I'm loving the 29'er version of this bike. For the record, they are built up differently....so it's not a true apples to apples comparison. My 26 TA was built with a burlier wheels / fork and as a singlespeed.

    The primary thing I notice (sounding like a 29'er zealot!) is how much the bigger hoop helps momentum over rooty/rocky terrain. Of course, it's a hardtail, so there's still a lot of finesse required, but it does allow for a bit more room for error on line selection.

    I rode it down a couple of jump trails the other day and I'm feeling comfortable on it with small to mid sized jumps, but haven't really tried to get bigger air on it yet. I have also hit two 4-6 foot drops on it (for locals: the rock drop on SST and the first ladder drop on Evo) and the bike, wheels and fork all felt good on those. The other big advantage for me is the ability to run my KS post which means I'm riding it faster through undulating terrain on our more xc type of trails.

    Cheers,
    EB

  2. #227
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,758
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Jayoutside.

    My 26'er is going up for sale later this week. That's how much I'm loving the 29'er version of this bike. For the record, they are built up differently....so it's not a true apples to apples comparison. My 26 TA was built with a burlier wheels / fork and as a singlespeed.

    The primary thing I notice (sounding like a 29'er zealot!) is how much the bigger hoop helps momentum over rooty/rocky terrain. Of course, it's a hardtail, so there's still a lot of finesse required, but it does allow for a bit more room for error on line selection.

    I rode it down a couple of jump trails the other day and I'm feeling comfortable on it with small to mid sized jumps, but haven't really tried to get bigger air on it yet. I have also hit two 4-6 foot drops on it (for locals: the rock drop on SST and the first ladder drop on Evo) and the bike, wheels and fork all felt good on those. The other big advantage for me is the ability to run my KS post which means I'm riding it faster through undulating terrain on our more xc type of trails.

    Cheers,
    EB
    Look out!


  3. #228
    The Tyranical Teabagger
    Reputation: cyrjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    381
    29er is legit. Buy it. I came from the 26" as well (albeit, maybe 100 miles on it total) and won't look back. I just need to sell the frame so I can pay for this thing!
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

  4. #229
    29 TO LIFE
    Reputation: bzo75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    153

    Geometry question

    Is the geometry bases on a 120mm fork or 140mm?

  5. #230
    The Tyranical Teabagger
    Reputation: cyrjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    381
    120mm
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

  6. #231
    29 TO LIFE
    Reputation: bzo75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    153
    Thanks

  7. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    226
    anyone have much time on jumps, drops, and pretty aggressive downhill with this bike? I've been looking around for an aggressive hardtail that could handle some pretty aggressive downhill type riding and be comfortable in the air. like something i could take to lift served riding like trestle or wherever. at first i wasnt even considering 29ers. but now it seems like people are really starting to figure out how to make 29ers fun.

    anyway, ive been looking at bikes like the 26 trans am, evil soverign, etc.. the one thing that turns me off of these bikes is that they seem like they could be sluggish on climbs or flat/rolling terrain. and i really want something i can really haul on when it comes to more flat terrain, and still hit airs and play around. the aggressive 26ers seem more like dj bikes than aggressive xc bikes.

    i know the trans-am 29er isnt exactly light. but comparing it to other steel 29ers can it keep up? and most of all how does it handle really aggressive riding?

  8. #233
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,482
    I know some guys ride hardtails at bike parks, but it's not my cup o' tea. If I'm gonna be taking a lift up the hill, I may as well be on my DH bike or at the very least, my 6x6. Not saying it can't be done (Jinya Nishiwaki slays it on his Cromag), but my back, ankles and knees thank me for riding my big bike in the park.

    As for "how steep" or types of jumping you can do on these bikes, I think the limiter is the rider and not the bike.

    EB

  9. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jingleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Jayoutside.

    My 26'er is going up for sale later this week. That's how much I'm loving the 29'er version of this bike. For the record, they are built up differently....so it's not a true apples to apples comparison. My 26 TA was built with a burlier wheels / fork and as a singlespeed.

    The primary thing I notice (sounding like a 29'er zealot!) is how much the bigger hoop helps momentum over rooty/rocky terrain. Of course, it's a hardtail, so there's still a lot of finesse required, but it does allow for a bit more room for error on line selection.

    I rode it down a couple of jump trails the other day and I'm feeling comfortable on it with small to mid sized jumps, but haven't really tried to get bigger air on it yet. I have also hit two 4-6 foot drops on it (for locals: the rock drop on SST and the first ladder drop on Evo) and the bike, wheels and fork all felt good on those. The other big advantage for me is the ability to run my KS post which means I'm riding it faster through undulating terrain on our more xc type of trails.

    Cheers,
    EB
    Your Transam looks fantastic!..May I ask you how tall are you? I'm 5,7 and I wonder if I would be better on a small o a medium..The 22" top tube of the small size looks like to be longer than that, by watching your Transam pics. I mean , it doesnt look like a "small" size bike..

  10. #235
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    I finally got the TransAm together and got in a quick shake down ride.
    Some quick observations:
    -The bike likes to be launched over trail chatter
    - The 140mm Revelation is a great match for the frame (I still need to play with pressure)
    - The chain and seatstays have room for a massive tire.
    - Transition could cut 1/4 inch off the chainstay length and there would still be lots of room
    - I need to bleed the rear brake before I ride it again
    After a few more rides I'll report back.
    Last edited by noosa2; 01-26-2012 at 04:37 AM.

  11. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    What, no pics?

  12. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I finally got the TransAm together and got in a quick shake down ride.
    Some quick observations:
    -The bike likes to be launched over trail chatter
    - The 140mm Revelation is a great match for the frame (I still need to play with pressure)
    - The chain and seatstays have room for a massive tire.
    - Transition could cut 1/4 inch off the chainstay length and there would still be lots of room
    - I need to bleed the rear brake before I ride it again
    After a few more rides I'll report back.
    It's all about the FD and tire... we opted not to go shorter to maintain FD compatibility. And honestly... it rides sweet with the CS length it has!

  13. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    It's all about the FD and tire... we opted not to go shorter to maintain FD compatibility. And honestly... it rides sweet with the CS length it has!
    That's why I choose the TransAm over the rest

    Got a short ride in today on a loop that I'm very familiar with and noticed 2 things: - it manuals effortlessly and the rear end is really stiff with that thru axle.

  14. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    What, no pics?
    Pics are on the camera but the camera and computer are not getting along

  15. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AaronJobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    448
    How much abuse can this frame take? 15 ft jumps? 8 ft. drops?

  16. #241
    Fake it 'til you make it
    Reputation: JLantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    351

    Respect

    I love to see how you FR guys are adopting this.

    I ride a Yelli, but you'll get the gist with the TA29. Nice frame, but I prefer AL.

    Some tips for you crossovers:

    -Learn to ride standing up. All the time. Slam your seat and forget about it. Those big wheels like to stay rolling. Standup riding forces you to go much faster and PUMP EVERYTHING. Those big wheels LOVE it. You will too, if you commit. I see other riders sitting through trails now and think, WTF, who sits when playing sports?

    -Run the shortest stem and widest bars you can. Turn this bike into the BMX that turned you into the obsessed bigkid that you are. The most b*tchin' 29ers are modeled after DJ bikes.

    -You guys are going to get air with these bikes. 36 Stan's Flows are the sh*t.

    Peace and thanks for signing up.

  17. #242
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    47
    Hi, I´m looking for an picture of the horizontal/sliding dropouts an the TransAM29.
    Would like to know if I can mount my Rohloff...

    thank´s!
    othu

  18. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by othu View Post
    Hi, I´m looking for an picture of the horizontal/sliding dropouts an the TransAM29.
    Would like to know if I can mount my Rohloff...

    thank´s!
    othu
    They are in the Tr web store -

    Transition Bikes

  19. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    47
    thank´s

    the TBC - TransAM Single-Speed Chaintugs are compatible with the 2012 sliding dropouts?


    othu

  20. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    How much abuse can this frame take? 15 ft jumps? 8 ft. drops?
    8 ft drops on 29er hardtail?

  21. #246
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,482
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    How much abuse can this frame take? 15 ft jumps? 8 ft. drops?
    I suppose that depends more on the landing and the rider than the bike. Certainly, I wouldn't hit either of those without a proper transition (on any bike).

    My back aches just thinking about an 8 foot drop on my hardtail!

  22. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by othu View Post
    thank´s

    the TBC - TransAM Single-Speed Chaintugs are compatible with the 2012 sliding dropouts?


    othu
    They do work... but they aren't designed to work together, so the contact between the chaintug and the back of the dropout is pretty small.

    Because the bolt on horizontal dropouts are alloy, your axle nuts should bite in quite well and no tugs should be neccesary.

  23. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    47
    Hi Transition Bikes,
    thanks for the explanation!
    My Rohloff is a QR type (i use a 135mm Hope quick release) without axle nuts... in my opinion I need chaintugs in this case, isn´t it?
    Regards
    othu

  24. #249
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Size Small anyone?


  25. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jingleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Size Small anyone?

    nice!..where did you get that pic?..I'm 5,7..I wonder if would it be too small for me?..

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trans-WI race VS Trans-WI Adventure Trail
    By FishMan473 in forum Minnesota, Wisconsin
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 07:03 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 02:52 PM
  3. TRANS-IOWA V.2 is 29er Friendly
    By KERKOVEJ in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 07:49 PM
  4. colour for 05 v10 trans blue or trans red
    By Yoshimura in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 05:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •