mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Smuggler for sale and mid-life crisis

Hi Transition folks,

I hope this post makes you laugh...

I have a Smuggler to sell. 2015 XL frame. Blue/teal color. Pike fork, Reverb dropper post, wide carbon tubeless rims, XT 1X drivetrain, XT brakes, and so on. In short, it's a really, really nice bike, in great condition.

So why am I selling it? Well, over the last two years, I slowly assembled this bike, and now I have been riding it for a few months and...I goofed. I blew it. I made a mistake. This is not the bike for me. How did this happen?

I had a mid-life crisis. I have been riding bikes for thirty years. I've always been a mountain biker, but I also raced on the road for a long time. I can't shake the feeling of a hard tail, and my love for light, rigid, simple bikes. On the trails where I ride 95 % of the time, you just don't need a fully. It's way too much bike for me.

As I approached 45 years old, I convinced myself that with a full suspension bike, I would be able to ride like the cool kids. I took the Smuggler down to a ski area, and rode down some lift-served alpine trails--great fun, but not what I love best.

Just to show you how serious this was, during the same time period, I changed from my old, traditional skis to some fancy new rockered Freeride skis from DPS. For the uninitiated, DPS is to skis as Transition is to mountain bikes--a small company promising big fun in the mountains. Of course, just as I am not suited to the Smuggler, neither was I suited to those DPS skis. Big mountain freeride? Who am I kidding? That's not me!

And do I need to mention money? Raised eyebrows and sidelong glances from my wife. Waves of guilt when I play with my daughter (what about the college fund?). Panic attacks when I think about house payments, convulsions when I check my car payments, and so forth...on short, I can't afford this bike!

In any case, my crisis could be your gain. I am willing to part with this bike, and take a big loss. I would be happy to get around 2000 US $ for the bike. That's a kind of amazing price, considering that the bike is nearly new, the fork, the dropper post, the wheels, and so on.

Big complication: I am from the US, but I live in Switzerland. That means I would have to send the bike overseas. I am willing to do that, and I checked out some options, like BikeFlights, that seem secure and have insurance, but we would have to talk about it.

Of course, I am willing to take pictures of every conceivable part, send you a component list, pack the bike carefully, find someway of payment that is secure and safe for us both.

What do you think? Anybody need an XL Smuggler?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is going to marked as spam, so I would post this in the classified section. Up some photos and it'll sell in no time.

mtbr member
    115 in the back and 130 up the front is too much bike?

Aunt Betty??

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the note about the possible delete--I will post in the classified section. @ targnik...it's not just the travel. It's the weight, the pedal bob, the slack head angle, the short stem and wide bars, and so forth...it's the whole modern package. To each his own

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoschull View Post
    Thanks for the note about the possible delete--I will post in the classified section. @ targnik...it's not just the travel. It's the weight, the pedal bob, the slack head angle, the short stem and wide bars, and so forth...it's the whole modern package. To each his own
    Lol...

Just pulling your chain ;-)

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    They have mountain bikers in Switzerland and a Transition would likely be more expensive to buy there. Sell locally and save yourself the hassles of international shipping plus get more $$ for the bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ^agreed, sell it where you are at, you'll get more money. I thought MTBR has intenrational forum? Look on MTBR forum menu and if they have something for Europe then post a link to your classfied ad. There, too. Also consider posting on Pinkbike classifieds. People like that bike, you should have no problem selling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    MTBR is international, but I bet it's skewed 90% to Canada/US.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the advice. I will post it on a Swiss forum, and see if I can generate some interest. That said, I have had a few interested parties from this site and from pinkbike. If we can figure out a reasonable shipping method, it should work out. Thanks again.