mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Smuggler Plus Tire Success

Has anyone used their Smuggler with 27.5plus tires?

I know that a WTB Scrapper i45 with Trailblazers fits, but am curious as to what other tires folks have used.

FYI I have a 2015 Smuggler.

Thanks-

Sand Yeti

American Made!
    Once I get my frame, hopefully next week, I'll be trying the same thing but am using Spank Oozy 345 trail rim and NN 2.8...if that's too snug then onto a WTB!
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Guess i should play it safe with a 2.8 to NN or RR to start then take it from there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Pretty sure Transition posted a photo of the 2015 smuggler with 2.8 trailblazers on their instagram at some point.

I'm also curious about this and have a set of wheels and 2.8 trailblazers to try, but haven't really had the time to mount them up yet. Hopefully I can get to it this week (along with other deferred maintenance) and will post pictures when I do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes they do have a photo of Trailblazer on Hugo 52's. I have Scrapper i45's and will try the Schwable Nobby Nick 2.8's. Will post results once I test. Not the biggest fan of the Trailblazers, want to try Nobby Nicks and Rocket Rons as big as possible. Don't think many have attempted, so i will share my results.

American Made!
    Have spent 3 days of varied terrain - park runs, 30 mile epic and local 1 hour loops- on 30 id rims with the NN...have to report there's some rub but not nearly as much as there was on my yelli with the 2.8 NN in the back.
    Used 2 strips gorilla tape to save frame paint and after some hard cornering and good off camber spots it does rub and on my 2017 smuggler its more on the non drive side.
    Going to try a Wtb TB and if that rubs then 29er!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Anybody else tries this? Mine is a 2016
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    1X1cycle- thanks for posting photos and provided feedback.

mevnet- sorry i haven't had a chance to test and provide feedback yet.

I worry that my NN on scraper 45's won't fit the rear on my 2015 Smuggler, however i will share the results once mount the tires and give it a go. I also have access to a set of Trailblazers, which should work, but am not the biggest fan of the TB thread pattern. May have to just run my plus whilst on my Titus Fireline Evo.

Keep you posted once I test it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    after riding a particularly rocky slimy and rough trail in the rainforest today on my Smuggler, i was thinking.... i wonder how the traction (lots of ups and downs for much of these trails before they plunge) and ride quality would be with just a 650b+ tire in the back? can't lower the pressures much below 22 without risking rim damage. Vancouver Island has been drowning in rain and these trails are notoriously rocky and slippery (and very fun). the bb is already dragging the ground on this bike though...

...In the meantime.
    So I had a quiet day in the shop today so I experimented with a B+ combo on my 2016 Smuggler. Fork is a DVO Diamond 29 (not boost) set at 140m. BB height with 29" wheels is just under 13.5". I installed my B+ wheelset just to get some idea of how much BB height I would lose and tire clearance. B+ wheels are built on WTB Asymi35 rims, running a Maxxis highroller 27.5x2.8 in the front, with a Rekon 27.5x2.8 in the rear. I aired the tires to 20 PSI each. The BB height dropped to 13" with this wheelset. The front tire clears the Diamond with plenty of room almost 3/8" on either side of the knobs. The rear tire clears the seatstay and bridge with room to spare, but it gets tight in the chainstay area around the sidewall and is almost rubbing the chainstay protector. My thoughts are if I extended the fork to 150mm and maybe trimmed the chainstay protector this would be a pretty viable option. Extending the fork would hopefully bring the BB up a few fractions of an inch and alleviate some of the crank-strikes in rock terrain.

Sorry no pictures...I didn't think to take any.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ok here is the bike with NN F and WTB Ranger rear. Clearance for the Pike is no problem with the NN, see here at the end:
    https://youtu.be/jwzE084uHOo

Rear is a bit tighter, you need stiff wheels so the tire doesn't polish your chainstays when flexing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cec5nxU8-A0

Pretty cool that you get the second bike for the price of a new set of wheels and tires. Do I like it? Don't know yet, but bike does not seem to be as quick as with 29er wheels.
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9