Grip it and rip it.

New question here. Smuggler fork choice.

So Ive pre ordered a 2016 Smuggler frame. Just looking for advice on what fork travel to run. Ive decided on a Pike rtc3, just not sure if I'd be better off with 130 or 140mm travel up front. I know the bikes come specced with 130, but I want to ride the Megavalanche next year, so leaning more towards a 140 for that, providing it won't mess up the ride characteristics.
    What do you all think? What travel have people been running on the 15 model?

Cheers!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I ran an XFusion Trace (non-unicrown, fwiw) at 140 and now I'm on a Pike at 130. The Trace has the same a-c at 140 that the Pike has at 130. So, running a Pike at 140 will slacken your headtube angle a little bit more, about a .5* (I think).

I really like how the bike rides with 130 up front- feels a little more balanced compared to 140. Either way, the bike is fun as all hell to ride, regardless of fork travel. You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

why not the 2016 fox 34?

why not the new Fox 34? assuming the transition US build kit being the same as the UK one that Plush Hill Cycles published on their site. It has received good reviews, believe I read it is a half lb lighter with a shorter axle to crown.

Smuggler fork choice.-transition_smuggler_2016.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am running a 140mm Pike and really like the handling.
    If you want to use it on steep alpine stuff like the Megavalance the extra slackness won't be an issue.
    It also raises the BB a bit which helps in reducing pedal strikes (I will also switch to 170m cranks iso 175mm for that reason).

Grip it and rip it.
    Hey, thanks for the replies, leaning towards the Pike as my lbs can get Rock Shox quite easily, not so much Fox.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i'm also running a Pike 140mm on the smug, perfect fork for this bike. For the Mega you could even run it with 150, you can make that change on your own, you only have to change the air damper shaft.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I first ran the smuggler with a 140mm Pike. Then dropped it down to 130mm. Tbh I am glad I did. Feels better in the turns and the weight over the front wheel also feels better. This in turns means the bike is a lot faster rand more planted. Get the 140mm pike then drop it down to 130mm.