Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,202

    Smuggler build thread

    I'll go. First tracks coming up.

    Smuggler build thread-smugglerblack.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    101
    Awesome! My frame just came today, should have it built in the next week or so. I'll post pics here when I do, if you don't mind

    Did you get one of the completes or is this a frame-up build? Parts list?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,202
    I just built with what I had and added a SRAM XX1 crank. Haven't had a chance to get it out on the trail yet.

  4. #4
    Not Bad
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,199

    Smuggler build thread

    Looking forward to hearing how these things ride in the real world, I love the idea of them and from what I've seen of the Patrol and Scout the quality is all the way up there too.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    106
    subscribed

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,202
    I will say that the frame is sexy as hell. Build quality looks good and I really like the new pivot system. I still have to bleed and reroute my rear brake through the down tube and install a longer gravity dropper cable.

    Allen at Drop N Zone was awesome and got the frame shipped out to me the same day he picked up from Transition. Now that's customer service!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,202

    Shredable

    Just a quick update. I've had two rides so far on my local loops that I ride on a regular basis. To say we have rock and technical riding is sorta of an understatement. Limestone and marbles are everywhere. The Smuggler eats it up.

    I immediately noticed that I had increased traction climbing tech and braking on the descents so I'm very happy with the horst link design. One thing I thought would be negative on this bike is the lack of rear suspension travel. I'm a big rider at 240lbs geared up and had no problem with harsh bottoms out. Very composed.

    Coming from a Covert I thought it would be an issue but at least for me its not. Yes its not a 5-6" bike however I think Transition did an excellent job with the design and bottom out control. I started with the sag at 35% and have since moved to about 40% and fully open platform on the debonair. It feels much better with this setup. Up front I'm running a Fox 34 140mm with Avalanche damper. All good there and can't really say it has any negative affect on handling as they spec the bike at 130mm.

    One other thing to note is how snappy this bike feels with the newer geometry. Much easier to manual and flick around. Depending on your preference you may or may not like the longer top tube. I do as I prefer longer front, short stays and short stem.

    More to come later.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    101
    Can't wait to finish building mine!

    Could you take a picture or two of the non drive side? I'm curious to see how you ran rear shifter and brake lines...

  9. #9
    Big Gooner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Just a quick update. I've had two rides so far on my local loops that I ride on a regular basis. To say we have rock and technical riding is sorta of an understatement. Limestone and marbles are everywhere. The Smuggler eats it up.

    I immediately noticed that I had increased traction climbing tech and braking on the descents so I'm very happy with the horst link design. One thing I thought would be negative on this bike is the lack of rear suspension travel. I'm a big rider at 240lbs geared up and had no problem with harsh bottoms out. Very composed.

    Coming from a Covert I thought it would be an issue but at least for me its not. Yes its not a 5-6" bike however I think Transition did an excellent job with the design and bottom out control. I started with the sag at 35% and have since moved to about 40% and fully open platform on the debonair. It feels much better with this setup. Up front I'm running a Fox 34 140mm with Avalanche damper. All good there and can't really say it has any negative affect on handling as they spec the bike at 130mm.

    One other thing to note is how snappy this bike feels with the newer geometry. Much easier to manual and flick around. Depending on your preference you may or may not like the longer top tube. I do as I prefer longer front, short stays and short stem.

    More to come later.
    Trailbrian, You're a big fella like me so I'm a bit leary of the 40% sag and hitting my pedals a bunch. Have you noticed any problems with pedal strikes?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    74
    Finally got some dirt time on this rig yesterday. Wow! So impressed with this bike. I really like the feel of the long front/short cs setup. For starters, I built this frame up with a few tweeks right off the bat. The trails I typically frequent are very rocky, technical and give bikes with low BB's lots of pedal strikes. I opted to put a Pike 140 on with a Works 1 degree headset to steepen the HA. The result gave me a 13 5/16" BBH, 68 HA, and a 47 3/8 WB. Just the small change I was looking for in the numbers. I'm very happy with how it behaves. I can't comment on the stock headset 130 fork setup but I do love this new arrangement. For reference I'm coming off a Covert 29 and the Smuggler will be my 6th Transition. I've owned a bunch of other brands but have always been a big fan of Transitions ability to put out a super fun, quality bike.

    Smuggler build thread-2015-02-14-13.57.31.jpg

    I weigh 210 geared up and ran the bike at 30-35-40% sag for different intervals finally settling on 35. I ran the fork and the rear shock in wide open settings for almost all riding scenarios. Extended climbing was best for me in the middle lever position with a subtle but noticeable increase in peddling efficiency. Lockout positions as you would expect negated the gobs of traction the horst link provides. The rear end feels quite stiff and the frame has a very low and compact weight distribution. I'm liking this bike for so many reasons right now.

    The only thing that might be an issue for some people is the tire clearance in the rear. The width is great and not at all a problem but for those who run an Ardent 2.4 in the rear the height of the tire gets tighter than an 1/8".

    Smuggler build thread-2015-02-05-16.05.57.jpg

    Thats a virtually new (not stretched out yet) 2.4 Ardent on a WTB i-25 rim. I have subsequently pulled that off and put a 2.25 Smorgasbord on the same rim. That fits great.

    My XL frame (non-stock build) as you see above came in at 31.6 lbs. Not a lightweight by any means but seems solid enough to withstand a LOT of chucking around. Thats what I bought it for, so I very pleased all around.

    Well done Transition. This ones a keeper.

  11. #11
    lives to ride
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,056
    Great feedback from both of you. Hmm, very tempting!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by biggooner View Post
    Trailbrian, You're a big fella like me so I'm a bit leary of the 40% sag and hitting my pedals a bunch. Have you noticed any problems with pedal strikes?
    I haven't, but then again I'm running 140mm up front. I've settled at about 38% sag in the rear with the platform lever fully open and it feels dialed.

  13. #13
    The Tyranical Teabagger
    Reputation: cyrjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    386
    I'm waiting for my frame to come in but here's a quick rundown of my build:

    Lefty SuperMax
    CK headset
    Enve M50's on CK Rear/Lefty Front
    Enve bar
    Enve post
    Thompson stem
    XTR Brakes
    XTR drivetrain
    Raceface Next SL crank
    Cane Creek DB Inline (may keep the stock shock for a while first)

    Parts are almost ready to go...I'm doing up some sweet custom Enve and Lefty graphics to match the Smuggler color way. Can. Not. Freakin. Wait.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    106
    $$$$

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    62
    That will be probably lightest Smuggler here. Lefty as a special feature... Only extra fat in hubs, but as they are CK, it doesn't count.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    101
    Still waiting on a few bits and bobs, and trying to make up my mind for my front wheel, but here's the parts list so far:

    - Large Smuggler frame, real teal
    - Xfusion Trace, 51mm offset, 140mm travel (same A-C as a 130mm Pike)
    - SLX brakes, rear derailleur, Zee shifter
    - XT cassette with 40t OneUp cog and 13t lockring (ditched the 11t instead of the 17t, so gear range is 13-40)
    - Raceface Turbine Cinch crank, 170mm, 30t direct mount ring
    - Raceface SixC 785 bars, Spank Spike 50mm stem, Thomson post
    - Rear wheel: i9/ Flow

    Thinking I'll get my spare CK front hub relaced to another Flow rim or a WTB Frequency, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet. Pumped to get it built though.

    Everyone with their bikes built: MORE PICTURES!
    Last edited by dejock; 6 Days Ago at 01:43 PM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    64
    Maybe it's not possible/available, but why not just go with a 28t direct mount ring and keep the stock 11-36 cassette? Should be similar gearing, right?

    I'm pretty jealous of all you guys as I'm playing the waiting game for my Scout to arrive at the LBS after the May shipment. Giddy up!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Maybe it's not possible/available, but why not just go with a 28t direct mount ring and keep the stock 11-36 cassette? Should be similar gearing, right?

    I'm pretty jealous of all you guys as I'm playing the waiting game for my Scout to arrive at the LBS after the May shipment. Giddy up!
    Yeah, it's definitely possible, but I already had the cassette/cog on hand and happened to score the crank (with a direct mount 30t) at an absurd discount. I figure I'll ride it as-is for awhile and change things up later if necessary.

Similar Threads

  1. Ditch my Bronson for a Smuggler or Patrol?
    By gfowkes in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 07:22 AM
  2. Can't Decide: Scout or Smuggler
    By MaddSquirrel in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 4 Weeks Ago, 12:58 PM
  3. Smuggler
    By nitrousjunky in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 11:14 AM
  4. Thoughts on the Transition Smuggler?...
    By Just J in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-05-2014, 06:40 PM
  5. Fork Offset for Smuggler
    By DudeDowne in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •