Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Smuggler build thread

I'll go. First tracks coming up.

Smuggler build thread-smugglerblack.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Awesome! My frame just came today, should have it built in the next week or so. I'll post pics here when I do, if you don't mind

Did you get one of the completes or is this a frame-up build? Parts list?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just built with what I had and added a SRAM XX1 crank. Haven't had a chance to get it out on the trail yet.

mtbr member

Smuggler build thread

Looking forward to hearing how these things ride in the real world, I love the idea of them and from what I've seen of the Patrol and Scout the quality is all the way up there too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    subscribed

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I will say that the frame is sexy as hell. Build quality looks good and I really like the new pivot system. I still have to bleed and reroute my rear brake through the down tube and install a longer gravity dropper cable.

Allen at Drop N Zone was awesome and got the frame shipped out to me the same day he picked up from Transition. Now that's customer service!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Shredable

Just a quick update. I've had two rides so far on my local loops that I ride on a regular basis. To say we have rock and technical riding is sorta of an understatement. Limestone and marbles are everywhere. The Smuggler eats it up.

I immediately noticed that I had increased traction climbing tech and braking on the descents so I'm very happy with the horst link design. One thing I thought would be negative on this bike is the lack of rear suspension travel. I'm a big rider at 240lbs geared up and had no problem with harsh bottoms out. Very composed.

Coming from a Covert I thought it would be an issue but at least for me its not. Yes its not a 5-6" bike however I think Transition did an excellent job with the design and bottom out control. I started with the sag at 35% and have since moved to about 40% and fully open platform on the debonair. It feels much better with this setup. Up front I'm running a Fox 34 140mm with Avalanche damper. All good there and can't really say it has any negative affect on handling as they spec the bike at 130mm.

One other thing to note is how snappy this bike feels with the newer geometry. Much easier to manual and flick around. Depending on your preference you may or may not like the longer top tube. I do as I prefer longer front, short stays and short stem.

More to come later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Can't wait to finish building mine!

Could you take a picture or two of the non drive side? I'm curious to see how you ran rear shifter and brake lines...

Big Gooner
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Just a quick update. I've had two rides so far on my local loops that I ride on a regular basis. To say we have rock and technical riding is sorta of an understatement. Limestone and marbles are everywhere. The Smuggler eats it up.

I immediately noticed that I had increased traction climbing tech and braking on the descents so I'm very happy with the horst link design. One thing I thought would be negative on this bike is the lack of rear suspension travel. I'm a big rider at 240lbs geared up and had no problem with harsh bottoms out. Very composed.

Coming from a Covert I thought it would be an issue but at least for me its not. Yes its not a 5-6" bike however I think Transition did an excellent job with the design and bottom out control. I started with the sag at 35% and have since moved to about 40% and fully open platform on the debonair. It feels much better with this setup. Up front I'm running a Fox 34 140mm with Avalanche damper. All good there and can't really say it has any negative affect on handling as they spec the bike at 130mm.

One other thing to note is how snappy this bike feels with the newer geometry. Much easier to manual and flick around. Depending on your preference you may or may not like the longer top tube. I do as I prefer longer front, short stays and short stem.

More to come later.
    Trailbrian, You're a big fella like me so I'm a bit leary of the 40% sag and hitting my pedals a bunch. Have you noticed any problems with pedal strikes?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Finally got some dirt time on this rig yesterday. Wow! So impressed with this bike. I really like the feel of the long front/short cs setup. For starters, I built this frame up with a few tweeks right off the bat. The trails I typically frequent are very rocky, technical and give bikes with low BB's lots of pedal strikes. I opted to put a Pike 140 on with a Works 1 degree headset to steepen the HA. The result gave me a 13 5/16" BBH, 68 HA, and a 47 3/8 WB. Just the small change I was looking for in the numbers. I'm very happy with how it behaves. I can't comment on the stock headset 130 fork setup but I do love this new arrangement. For reference I'm coming off a Covert 29 and the Smuggler will be my 6th Transition. I've owned a bunch of other brands but have always been a big fan of Transitions ability to put out a super fun, quality bike.

Smuggler build thread-2015-02-14-13.57.31.jpg

I weigh 210 geared up and ran the bike at 30-35-40% sag for different intervals finally settling on 35. I ran the fork and the rear shock in wide open settings for almost all riding scenarios. Extended climbing was best for me in the middle lever position with a subtle but noticeable increase in peddling efficiency. Lockout positions as you would expect negated the gobs of traction the horst link provides. The rear end feels quite stiff and the frame has a very low and compact weight distribution. I'm liking this bike for so many reasons right now.

The only thing that might be an issue for some people is the tire clearance in the rear. The width is great and not at all a problem but for those who run an Ardent 2.4 in the rear the height of the tire gets tighter than an 1/8".

Smuggler build thread-2015-02-05-16.05.57.jpg

Thats a virtually new (not stretched out yet) 2.4 Ardent on a WTB i-25 rim. I have subsequently pulled that off and put a 2.25 Smorgasbord on the same rim. That fits great.

My XL frame (non-stock build) as you see above came in at 31.6 lbs. Not a lightweight by any means but seems solid enough to withstand a LOT of chucking around. Thats what I bought it for, so I very pleased all around.

Well done Transition. This ones a keeper.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Great feedback from both of you. Hmm, very tempting!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by biggooner View Post
    Trailbrian, You're a big fella like me so I'm a bit leary of the 40% sag and hitting my pedals a bunch. Have you noticed any problems with pedal strikes?
    I haven't, but then again I'm running 140mm up front. I've settled at about 38% sag in the rear with the platform lever fully open and it feels dialed.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    I'm waiting for my frame to come in but here's a quick rundown of my build:

Lefty SuperMax
    CK headset
    Enve M50's on CK Rear/Lefty Front
    Enve bar
    Enve post
    Thompson stem
    XTR Brakes
    XTR drivetrain
    Raceface Next SL crank
    Cane Creek DB Inline (may keep the stock shock for a while first)

Parts are almost ready to go...I'm doing up some sweet custom Enve and Lefty graphics to match the Smuggler color way. Can. Not. Freakin. Wait.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    $$$$

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That will be probably lightest Smuggler here. Lefty as a special feature... Only extra fat in hubs, but as they are CK, it doesn't count.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Still waiting on a few bits and bobs, and trying to make up my mind for my front wheel, but here's the parts list so far:

- Large Smuggler frame, real teal
    - Xfusion Trace, 51mm offset, 140mm travel (same A-C as a 130mm Pike)
    - SLX brakes, rear derailleur, Zee shifter
    - XT cassette with 40t OneUp cog and 13t lockring (ditched the 11t instead of the 17t, so gear range is 13-40)
    - Raceface Turbine Cinch crank, 170mm, 30t direct mount ring
    - Raceface SixC 785 bars, Spank Spike 50mm stem, Thomson post
    - Rear wheel: i9/ Flow

Thinking I'll get my spare CK front hub relaced to another Flow rim or a WTB Frequency, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet. Pumped to get it built though.

Everyone with their bikes built: MORE PICTURES!
    Last edited by dejock; 02-23-2015 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Maybe it's not possible/available, but why not just go with a 28t direct mount ring and keep the stock 11-36 cassette? Should be similar gearing, right?

I'm pretty jealous of all you guys as I'm playing the waiting game for my Scout to arrive at the LBS after the May shipment. Giddy up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Maybe it's not possible/available, but why not just go with a 28t direct mount ring and keep the stock 11-36 cassette? Should be similar gearing, right?

I'm pretty jealous of all you guys as I'm playing the waiting game for my Scout to arrive at the LBS after the May shipment. Giddy up!
    Yeah, it's definitely possible, but I already had the cassette/cog on hand and happened to score the crank (with a direct mount 30t) at an absurd discount. I figure I'll ride it as-is for awhile and change things up later if necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    do u think it is possible to be fitted with 150mm pike up front? i am currently on tallboy lt with 150mm pike and thinking to just buy the frame and transfer what i can to the new frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Smuggler build thread

It's very easy to change the travel on a pike. I would just get the airshaft that fits the bike. The wheelbase is already pretty long and slack. My guess is 150 would be a bit much unless you also have an angleset to throw on there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    It's very easy to change the travel on a pike. I would just get the airshaft that fits the bike. The wheelbase is already pretty long and slack. My guess is 150 would be a bit much unless you also have an angleset to throw on there.
    Hmm. I dont have enough experience to tell the difference, in what way will it be too much? Slower steering? Bad climber? ive been on very limited bikes to appreciate the differences

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Putting a 150 pike on with a straight headset would slack the front out to approximately 66.5 with a wheelbase of about 48.5". Thats loooooong and rather slack.

Climbing would be a chore. It would be harder to weight the front end so it'll wash out a bit easier. The bike would start to become a bit unbalanced with the travel front/rear. I'm sure it'll be rideable, but not necessarily what one might say is ideal.

If you go look at my post above (#10) I have opted to change the front end a little to suit my own desires. To each their own though. You could probably try it at 150 if you want. The frame certainly seems capable of handling the extra stress. You could also give the guys at Transition a call. They are super receptive and may have even tried a 150 fork during testing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i actually ride the Pike with 150 in the Covert29 and will change the airshaft to 140 for the smuggler.
    But don't forget: if you use the 150 you can ran more sag, so the total difference will be maybe 5mm and thats not so much.
    What is was thinking of, was to switch to a 160mm DPA, normally riding in the short travel and only using the long travel when its really getting steep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Putting a 150 pike on with a straight headset would slack the front out to approximately 66.5 with a wheelbase of about 48.5". Thats loooooong and rather slack.

Climbing would be a chore. It would be harder to weight the front end so it'll wash out a bit easier. The bike would start to become a bit unbalanced with the travel front/rear. I'm sure it'll be rideable, but not necessarily what one might say is ideal.

If you go look at my post above (#10) I have opted to change the front end a little to suit my own desires. To each their own though. You could probably try it at 150 if you want. The frame certainly seems capable of handling the extra stress. You could also give the guys at Transition a call. They are super receptive and may have even tried a 150 fork during testing.
    Did u get the headset from workcomponents? Theyre currently out of stock for 1 degree headset.

Ive sent an email to transition regarding the fork setup and hoping a reply soon. So hw it is compared to your covert 29er?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by flowbike View Post
    i actually ride the Pike with 150 in the Covert29 and will change the airshaft to 140 for the smuggler.
    But don't forget: if you use the 150 you can ran more sag, so the total difference will be maybe 5mm and thats not so much.
    What is was thinking of, was to switch to a 160mm DPA, normally riding in the short travel and only using the long travel when its really getting steep.
    that's a very good perspective! I guess ill be increasing my sag then and see hw it goes! Haha

Anyway, is the airshaft compatible with all pike models?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I did get my headset from Works. I prefer theirs over the Cane Creek angleset. I've had both on different bikes and although my Cane Creek was ok I like the Works better. It just seems more straightforward with less parts to develop creeks later.

Some one PM'd me about my thoughts on the comparison with the Covert. The Yeti I'm referring to here is a Yeti SB95C with a 150 Pike on the front...

"The Yeti was a great bike but I felt the 67.5 HA would flop on climbing. The shorter CS on the Smuggler really seam to counteract the length of the bike well. It's still a really long bike but still feels nimble enough for slower speed tight sections. Like any 29er you really need to lean it over hard to get it to corner as well as a 26er. Having a DH background and still riding freeride drops/stunts on my trailbike this thing is way ahead of the Yeti in this regard. Much more solid and capable despite the slightly less travel. I can see keeping this bike for years rather than just a season.

The Transition Covert 29 was great at anything gravity oriented. Badass descender for sure. It had a Avalanche modified Fox CTD shock that soaked up everything. This and the single pivot rear made it a bit of a pig for climbing. Shorter cockpit had obvious bent towards descending as well.

I could compare to 26ers but Its a bit apples and oranges.

Its hard to fault the smuggler. If you like horst link bikes you'll love this one."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do what you like but lowering sag just to lower the front of the bike is problematic. You're changing the spring rate so you'll blow through the travel easier. Compensating with the damper adjustments will just loose trail sensitivity and ultimately traction and handling.

An air shaft is only like $37. Peanuts in the whole scheme of things.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I did get my headset from Works. I prefer theirs over the Cane Creek angleset. I've had both on different bikes and although my Cane Creek was ok I like the Works better. It just seems more straightforward with less parts to develop creeks later.

Some one PM'd me about my thoughts on the comparison with the Covert. The Yeti I'm referring to here is a Yeti SB95C with a 150 Pike on the front...

"The Yeti was a great bike but I felt the 67.5 HA would flop on climbing. The shorter CS on the Smuggler really seam to counteract the length of the bike well. It's still a really long bike but still feels nimble enough for slower speed tight sections. Like any 29er you really need to lean it over hard to get it to corner as well as a 26er. Having a DH background and still riding freeride drops/stunts on my trailbike this thing is way ahead of the Yeti in this regard. Much more solid and capable despite the slightly less travel. I can see keeping this bike for years rather than just a season.

The Transition Covert 29 was great at anything gravity oriented. Badass descender for sure. It had a Avalanche modified Fox CTD shock that soaked up everything. This and the single pivot rear made it a bit of a pig for climbing. Shorter cockpit had obvious bent towards descending as well.

I could compare to 26ers but Its a bit apples and oranges.

Its hard to fault the smuggler. If you like horst link bikes you'll love this one."
    thanks for the feedback on your ride so far. Much appreciated, cant wait for mine to arrive and testing it myself. I have read the review by bike magazine the bible bike test and was sold by the review itself.

I have read that your weight is 210lbs with gears, what is your psi for the shock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Do what you like but lowering sag just to lower the front of the bike is problematic. You're changing the spring rate so you'll blow through the travel easier. Compensating with the damper adjustments will just loose trail sensitivity and ultimately traction and handling.

An air shaft is only like $37. Peanuts in the whole scheme of things.
    i would agree on blowing the travel easier, would a volume reducing spacer help? Where can i obtain the airshaft and did you reduce the travel by yourself?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by imrankz View Post
    thanks for the feedback on your ride so far. Much appreciated, cant wait for mine to arrive and testing it myself. I have read the review by bike magazine the bible bike test and was sold by the review itself.

I have read that your weight is 210lbs with gears, what is your psi for the shock?
    My shock pump reads 210 for 35% sag, but the calibration between pumps and inflation technique varies greatly. I believe Transition says start with 10psi higher than your body weight, then adjust from there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by imrankz View Post
    i would agree on blowing the travel easier, would a volume reducing spacer help? Where can i obtain the airshaft and did you reduce the travel by yourself?
    The number of volume spacers are limited by fork travel. Sram has a chart on their Technical documents area. They might help with the ending ramp up but your still starting with the wrong spring rate for your weight if additional sag is used to reduce the initial ride height.

The technical documents area on SRAM site also has info on how to service lowers and remove/replace air shafts. The Pike has very little bath oil in the lowers and the fork benefits greatly by staying on top of that basic maintenance. Lots of online bike sites, Amazon, and LBS's can get you the shaft you're after. Some of the shafts are used for different wheel sizes and are cross compatible. Sram's documents also have a chart for that with part numbers. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on this site that talks all about it.

Yes, I did my own. Its not hard if you are at all inclined to grab a wrench.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Update: I re-routed my Gravity Dropper cable through the down tube and then used adhesive cable mounts to bring it up the side of the seat tube. Its completely dialed now. Someone else asked about rear brake hose routing. That goes through the left upper hole on the down tube and then out lower hole with the rear derailleur cable. You can use an old derailleur cable taped to both the brake hose and derailleur cable to route and pull them through the down tube.

I also just spent 5 days riding in Sedona planned around the Sedona MTB Festival and boy let me tell. This bike handled everything from Hangover to Highline just fine. Anyone who has ridden out there can attest to technical riding and punchy climbing. I just can't get enough of this bike.

mtbr member

Smuggler build thread

Oops, pocket post!

Love the bikes guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Update: I re-routed my Gravity Dropper cable through the down tube and then used adhesive cable mounts to bring it up the side of the seat tube....
    can you please make some pics of the cablerouting for your dropper? i will use my existing LEV150 on the smuggler and was thinking about the same way of routing like you did.
    thx!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is the satin black painted or anodized?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    painted

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i'm just about to do the unforgivable- order a Smuggler without demoing. imagine. did that once before and got burned. however, the bike seems to address everything about my current 29er i'd like to change and looks killer. questions: what length stem are you guys running? my current 29er and the Smug have nearly identical top tube and theo seat tube dimensions, but the reach on the Smug is almost 2 cms longer. not sure how that's possible, but there it is. i'll be buying the frame and swapping parts over. seems the 50mm stem will prolly work given top tube lengths, but have any of you gone shorter (than previous rides) due to longer reach?

if this bike delivers on the promise to be more playful and better handling, while being as good to pedal and a bit better going down (full degree slacker) than my Shinobi, it will indeed be - The Holy Grail bike for this guy....

ps. also pulling over my Lev 150 30.9 post. looks like i'll need a shim. anyone else?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm loving mine with a 50mm stem. It does have a long TT for sure. The 2cm extra reach is from BB position. The Smug's CS are almost 2cm shorter than your Shinobi. I say just try the 50 first. You can find your sweet spot from there.

I've run a shim on multiple other bikes without problems. Just get a long one to increase contact like this one...

Universal Cycles -- Problem Solvers Seatpost Shims

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    i'm just about to do the unforgivable- order a Smuggler without demoing. imagine. did that once before and got burned. however, the bike seems to address everything about my current 29er i'd like to change and looks killer. questions: what length stem are you guys running? my current 29er and the Smug have nearly identical top tube and theo seat tube dimensions, but the reach on the Smug is almost 2 cms longer. not sure how that's possible, but there it is. i'll be buying the frame and swapping parts over. seems the 50mm stem will prolly work given top tube lengths, but have any of you gone shorter (than previous rides) due to longer reach?

if this bike delivers on the promise to be more playful and better handling, while being as good to pedal and a bit better going down (full degree slacker) than my Shinobi, it will indeed be - The Holy Grail bike for this guy....

ps. also pulling over my Lev 150 30.9 post. looks like i'll need a shim. anyone else?
    i wouldn't worry about ordering before demoing. i ordered a bandit 26 a few years ago blind and it definitely never left me wanting for more. super fun bike. now i've got a smuggler that's built, ordered that blind too. i doubt you'll be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For all of you who own or have ridden the Smuggler, can you comment on whether the internal cable routing is quiet or not? In the Bike magazine Bible of Bike Tests write up, they loved the bike, but made one comment about the internal routing being "rattly." Have you experienced any of that? I like the clean look of internal routing, but also prefer a quiet ride. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Using thicker zip ties I have not had any issue with rattling. I'm also using heavier duty alligator housing on the der cable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Is anyone using the 45mm Race Face respond stem that comes with the full build? Or any 45mm?

Is that Race Face a 10 degree rise?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Is anyone using the 45mm Race Face respond stem that comes with the full build? Or any 45mm?
    Sorry to derail your question, but this pertains to the included stem. Is it a 35 diameter stem? Transitions site says the bar is 760 x 35mm so I assumed it was, but RF doesn't show the Respond as a 35 diameter stem. For what it's worth i ordered a Scout and planned on running the 45mm Respond stem.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I believe it is 35 mm diameter. I noticed the same thing on the RF site. The Respond looks to be a 10 degree rise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice! At 6'4 I'll take all the rise I can get.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    My Lefty SuperMax was ordered today, just waiting on Enve parts and CK parts. Got the frame 2 weeks ago and have been fondling it daily ever since.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So just an update. Dealer called me today, they have the complete smuggler medium and in blue there ready to go. I wanted just pieces and he said tell me what ya want I'll get ya a price for whatever pieces ya want off it (top spec one)

My question now is. CRAP do I want this probably real awesome bike or not. I want frame only cause I had a Niner WFO just built. Sold the frame. And have a set of all mountain American classis wheels. X01 drivetrain. Avid trail 9 brakes. Renthal carbon bars and renthal 50 stem just collecting dust. So I can buy frame. All bearings. Like 130 and dropped post and be Rollin ready to go.

Yet I have my ol faithful ton of fun love to death stumpjumper evo 26 expert carbon. Sitting there finally ready for the season since I wasted one riding that Niner WFO (not that bud just not what I wanted). She sits there w Enve AM wheels. Chris king hubs. 200/180 rotors on carbon Xo WC brakes. Pike 150 rct3. New Monarch PLUS RC3 debonair shock. New updated dropped post lever. Renthal carbon fatbar lights and renthal 60mm apex stem. I feel like I'm almost going backwards of how fun a bike can be along with being even more capable in our daily xc/am rides. I'm 5'8" dirt bike background and although I love my single speed 29 I just love the 26 for the rest still. Not racin. Not plannin on it. Nor plannin to be a hero. Just riding bikes w buddies and havin fun. Other friends now have same bikes basically. 1 on same as mine just year newer (last 2014 26" left) another on a 29" stumpy evo carbon w carbon fatties. And other on and Enduro 29 who is a strong on it.

Just talkin out loud. What ya think!

Franzitioned
    Jan 2004
    She's pretty much finished. Here she is at a bone-dry (!) Swinley Forest, here in the UK.

Smuggler build thread-img_1742.jpg

Smuggler build thread-img_1743.jpg

And with my buddy's 650b Canyon Spectral:

Smuggler build thread-img_1744.jpg

First ride impressions are very good. It just rumbles through the chop, in that effortless 29er way. Feels like there's more than 115mm at the back with 35% sag, and the Pike is fan-tastic, although I set the sag up carefully and still felt I could have done with a little more air in there; I may yet drop another red air chamber spacer in. The areas I thought it might feel unwieldy - tight woodsy switchbacks - it actually excelled. It does feel as if the way to get the best from it is to wring its neck on every corner, which I didn't do today, but it's gonna be a fun bike to get to know.

It's running a Pike RCT3 at 130mm, Hope headset, stock Monarch Deb shock, UST Mavic EN821s on XT hubs, Saint crankset with a 32t NW Race Face ring, XT rear der. and 10spd 11-36 cassette, SLX brakes & shifter, Spesh Butcher F and Purg R tyres, Thomson 50mm stem, 780mm Chromag Fubar, DMR V12 pedals, and a placeholder Easton seatpost until I can settle on (and save up for!) a dropper. The saddle is an old Fizik that I don't like much - I will likely get a Spesh Phenom as they suit my narrow ass to a T.

I still need to get the rear brake hose through the internal routing, which I will need LBS help with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    gorgeous rig. cool touch with the silver Thompson stem, never seen one. found out today that mine on order is well further away than i thought. what a drag. dying to get on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Finally built!

Smuggler build thread-2015-04-04-09.36.33.jpg

Finally got some free time and decent weather to get the smuggler out on the trail. Coming from a Bandit 26, I knew I could expect a fun ride, but these new GiddyUp bikes are night and day from the single pivots. The smug pedals surprisingly well at 35% sag, too.

The Xfusion Trace is currently set at 140mm, and it has the same A-C as a 130mm Pike. I recently picked up a Pike though, so will have to rebuild with the 130mm air shaft and do a comparison.

Someone above asked about the internal cable routing being rattle-y. I did notice a little rattle, so, minor annoyance, but nothing to really get you down in the grand scheme of things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast