Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Smuggler build thread

Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker040 View Post
    I'm 5'7" and ride a medium (30" inseam) and it's perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by guvna View Post
    I'm 5'6" and a little bit and my small fits me like a glove
    Quote Originally Posted by polo7 View Post
    Would you mind sharing more pictures of the size Small. I'm 5 7 and looking to buy this bike in size small
    I'm the same size and on a small w/ 50mm stem. Fits me great but I do have a 60mm stem on the way to try out as I feel maybe a hair too 'over the front'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    I'm the same size and on a small w/ 50mm stem. Fits me great but I do have a 60mm stem on the way to try out as I feel maybe a hair too 'over the front'.
    A couple rides on the 60mm stem this weekend. Definitely an improvement in cornering and slow speed tech. I feel more centered/balanced on the bike. Not much difference in climbing performance. I haven't noticed any negative affects on handling yet so it stays on for now.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    A couple rides on the 60mm stem this weekend. Definitely an improvement in cornering and slow speed tech. I feel more centered/balanced on the bike. Not much difference in climbing performance. I haven't noticed any negative affects on handling yet so it stays on for now.
    A 60mm stem would put you farther over the front. Just saying...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    A 60mm stem would put you farther over the front. Just saying...
    Bad wording on my part.

By 'over the front' I meant my grips seemed a little too close to my hips making my upper body feel like it wanted to pitch forward if I was naturally balanced over the pedals. Make sense?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am starting to wish I had a rim narrower than 35mm on the rear though... I'm having trouble finding a tire that fits in the rear end of the Smuggler AND profiles up nicely on the wide rims (they were build up for a different frame that didn't work out.)

Sidewalls sticking out past the tread has led to several destroyed tires in the last few weeks thanks to the rocky riding around here.

mtbr member
    I am starting to wish I had a rim narrower than 35mm on the rear though... I'm having trouble finding a tire that fits in the rear end of the Smuggler AND profiles up nicely on the wide rims (they were build up for a different frame that didn't work out.)

Sidewalls sticking out past the tread has led to several destroyed tires in the last few weeks thanks to the rocky riding around here.
    sorry to hear about your rear wheel / tire issues! have you tried something like a maxxis ikon 2.35? someone posted in the smuggler thread that he had 2.35 ikons on 32mm ID wheels and it was great for him.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker040 View Post
    sorry to hear about your rear wheel / tire issues! have you tried something like a maxxis ikon 2.35? someone posted in the smuggler thread that he had 2.35 ikons on 32mm ID wheels and it was great for him.
    Haven't tried the Ikon. They are actually pretty popular around here but every time I pick one up off the shelf I don't care for the small side knobs... Still on the list as it may profile up nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Smuggler build thread

Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    If I remember correctly, you were running Bontrager tires - what model(s) and sizes are you having issues with specifically?

Not directly related, are you experiencing any rubbing on your chainstays? I switched from Maxxis Ikon 2.35 and Ardent 2.4 in the rear because of light rubbing on the drive side stay. On a Nobby Nic 2.25 now...

I have Flows (25.5 ID) and 2.35 Ikons are a really tight fit in the rear per my comments above.
    Was running se4 f / xr3 r

After several rear punctures the sidewall was finally torn on the xr3. Performed decently but the sideknobs weren't very supportive and we're starting to tear. Still might try the se3 as I liked the round profile.

Put an se5 on the front and tried to move the se4 to the rear... No fit.

Replaced the xr3 with a Spec GC grid.. Sidewall lasted 1 ride.

Took advantage of the specialized guarantee and exchanged it for a slaughter grid which has a much heavier duty version of the grid sidewall and weighs 1kg. Not the greatest profile on the wide rim and not sure I'm a 'semislick' guy but it works well enough.

For a bit more braking traction I tried a dhr2 2.3 Exo. Loved the performance but tore the sidewall on the third ride.

Slaughter is back on now.

Eyeballing the trail King 2.25 for the rear, heavy/fast rolling

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Smuggler build thread

Double post

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    If I remember correctly, you were running Bontrager tires - what model(s) and sizes are you having issues with specifically?

Not directly related, are you experiencing any rubbing on your chainstays? I switched from Maxxis Ikon 2.35 and Ardent 2.4 in the rear because of light rubbing on the drive side stay. On a Nobby Nic 2.25 now...

I have Flows (25.5 ID) and 2.35 Ikons are a really tight fit in the rear per my comments above.
    Oh.. And I have experienced no rubbing on the chain stays.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hello Ganderson,

Are you 5 7 or 5 6 riding the Small?

What size stem worked better for you?

Does the Small feel cramped?

Regards.

mtbr member
    Great looking bikes here! Looking at the numbers the Smuggler is very similar to my Enduro 29 with a much shorter stack. I love the E29 but the tall stack and overboard suspension for my trails and riding make it feel kind of dead. I can't wait to get on board a Smuggler and give it a rip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123