Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Smuggler

WNC Native

Smuggler

This bike could be awesome and may very will make it on my short list of bikes. Will be waiting to see the rest of the details & geometry.

Smuggler

The Smuggler joins a handful off 29ers currently on the market that eschew chasing a pre-set amount of travel in order to focus more on getting the right geometry. Transition ended up with 115 millimeters of rear travel for the bike, and when paired with a 130mm fork that gives it a slack-for-a-29er head angle of 67 degrees. Eliminating the front derailleur mount made it possible to reduce the chain stay length down to 435mm in order to keep the bike lively in the corners. Frame only: $1799, Smuggler 2: $3299 USD (Deore / SLX 1x10 drivetrain with 42t cog, SLX brakes, RockShox Pike RC). Smuggler 1: $4899 (RockShox Pike RCT3, SRAM X1/X01 drivetrain, XT brakes).

Smuggler-trans-smuggler.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

noob
    Apr 2009
    Here's the geo and some build details:

Album Transition 2015 - Fotoalbum auf MTB-News.de

WNC Native
    Thanks, that geometry looks great!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Transition guys- I notice that it is designed around a 130mm forks, and specced with a Pike on the full builds, however only 140mm Pikes are available aftermarket. Are you going to be able to order these as a frame and fork option with the 130mm version of the Pike?

mtbr member
    looks like they were "inspired" by their neighbors on this one

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Tenacious Doug - you can order a 130mm pike from any bike shop that deals with BTI-USA as a vendor.

BTI | 29" Suspension Forks from Rock Shox
    2500 mile goal for 2016

1,381.6 miles ridden in 2015

1067.7 miles ridden in 2014

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    Tenacious Doug - you can order a 130mm pike from any bike shop that deals with BTI-USA as a vendor.

BTI | 29" Suspension Forks from Rock Shox
    I'm in the UK, so that's not very easy!

mtbr member

R: Smuggler

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Doug View Post
    I'm in the UK, so that's not very easy!
    Try bike-components.de, I checked it a couple of weeks ago and it had 120mm and 130mm Pike listed.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Touche!
    2500 mile goal for 2016

mtbr member
    Noticed it says in there that the bike fits a front mech, but I have read elsewhere it doesn't.

mtbr member
    Transition - Please do a raw frame, the test mules look really good.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hoping to see a 7.5x2" shock on here. Monarch Plus would be a lovely option.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just did some interpolation of the images. It looks like 7.5x2. I'm pumped. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Transition - Please do a raw frame, the test mules look really good.
    And leave it raw like the protos. All these raw/polished frames that are for sale get ruined with the clearcoat that's added on.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    And leave it raw like the protos. All these raw/polished frames that are for sale get ruined with the clearcoat that's added on.
    I agree with you 100%.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Pretty excited to see this bike in the wild! Geo looks great and I like the look of the new suspension design. They really have the build nailed...to my preferences at least. X01 + Shimano brakes + Pike/Monarch FTW!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Crevello View Post
    Pretty excited to see this bike in the wild! Geo looks great and I like the look of the new suspension design. They really have the build nailed...to my preferences at least. X01 + Shimano brakes + Pike/Monarch FTW!
    They nailed the low end model too. Transition is killin it with these 2015's

Smuggler 2: $3299 USD (Deore / SLX 1x10 drivetrain with 42t cog, SLX brakes, RockShox Pike RC).

J:
    Lunker

XL pics please

x2 raw..

Seat tube length accurate on that geo chart?

mtbr member
    wheelbase on the XL looks loooooog - 47.9 inch! anyboby ride one at interbike dirt demo day?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Smuggler

Congratz. In Germany i have to wait til Dec/Jan. Mine will be a blue one with a custom build

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Smuggler 1 stealth black in medium ordered. Expecting delivery next month. It checked all the boxes for me so I decided not to wait... Stoked.
    Nice man! The bike really does check all the boxes. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Ride report please on that Medium!

Hoping this will check all my boxes as well when I buy something next spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The real question is when I can I order?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey TB when will we be able to get a full parts spec on the smuggler 2? Specifically interested in the brakes, cranks, and if it also comes with a reverb stealth! Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    here you can see the specs
    Smuggler-1682521-tvv4q3b8ucc8-2015smuggler-large.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Find the right dealer and you can pre-order to ensure you get one of the bikes in the first allocation which is expected to be shipped in October.

I contacted one dealer (not close - I don't have any dealers close to me) that sold both Kona's (I was also considering a Process 111) and Transition and was told the new Transition models wouldn't be available until the new year (another shop on the East Coast told a friend the same thing...).

So I then contacted DropnZone who shared that first allocation should be available in October so I provided a deposit to be able to get one of the Smuggler's available in the first allocation.
    Regarding the delivery dates - this is always a tough one for us to predict and it will vary by country. While we hoped to see our initial USA delivery around October, we're not going to be able to hit those dates.

When? It's too early to say with any certainty, but would be pushing this back into December sometime at best. Best to just keep communicating with your local dealer and we'll provide updates as soon as we can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    New website is live! All the new bikes look great, especially the Smuggler!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Transition guys, thanks for the heads up on the delay. I say better to be transparent about it than leave people wondering.

On a different note, can you give your thoughts on how the Smuggler fits into the lineup with only 111mm of rear travel?

As someone who has been on both a newer Bandit 29 and Covert 29 I'm wondering what end of the spectrum the Smuggler hits. The Bandit 29 was a good peddler, but seemed to get a little overwhelmed in the chunky high speed. The Covert 29 hammers chunky high speed however in my opinion is a tradeoff for pedaling efficiency and snappiness. Thanks

noob
    Apr 2009
    New site is great, really shows off the bikes well.

I was under the impression the Smuggler 2 was coming with an after market 42 chainring already installed on the x10? I won't be going up any So Cal mountains at 32 x 36

Also no dropper on the 2, but I guess that explains the price point.

Bummer about the delay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That is correct. 7.5" x 2" stroke shock size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The Smuggler does NOT fit a front derailleur. The Patrol, Scout, Suppressor all feature a low direct mount front derailleur. S3 SRAM or E2 Shimano.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    No_Worries...

The Smuggler #2 includes a Hive 42t adapter cog and the front chainring spec is a 30t. From the factory the wheelset has the standard 11-36 cassette installed and the adapter card as an accessory in the box. It is up to the dealer to install the adapter cog or pass it on as a spare part.

The SLX Rear Derailleur is compatible with the OneUP RAD cage (which you would have to purchase separately). That would make the ultimate $35 upgrade

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Would running a db inline be possible?

mtbr member
    I don't see why not. Theoretically you could even run a DB Coil...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This thing is gorgeous. Great upgrade guys and I'll be keeping my eyes out as these actually hit the trails. I'd be all over one if I hadn't JUST bought an enduro 29er.

J:
    Lunker
    XL photos anywhere?

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I want one of these frame so bad. I have recently bit in to the short travel aggressive 29er things and am completely hooked! its allows you to pedal to the place with pretty good easy and then kill it on the way back down.

This frame fits the bill better than any other bike I have seen......
    2500 mile goal for 2016

Franzitioned
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    XL photos anywhere?
    Seconded. I'd like to see what the bigger frames look like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here is an XL proto for those of you wanting to see the bigger size.

Smuggler-_ceb5262_tbc_smuggler_blue_com_low.jpg

mtbr member
    TB - maybe i don't speak for all the tall riders out there, but i sure am interested in a ride review from upcoming outerbike on an XL. although interesting, i just can't figure the new geometry: lower botttom bracket from previous bandit around 13"; pedal strikes? inch and a half increase in wheelbase from previous bandit; how this is going to get me around tight corners? is it the short CS that you guys found that makes such a big difference? (thanx because most of us big guys don't get a chance to test ride XL rigs!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by starre View Post
    TB - maybe i don't speak for all the tall riders out there, but i sure am interested in a ride review from upcoming outerbike on an XL. although interesting, i just can't figure the new geometry: lower botttom bracket from previous bandit around 13"; pedal strikes? inch and a half increase in wheelbase from previous bandit; how this is going to get me around tight corners? is it the short CS that you guys found that makes such a big difference? (thanx because most of us big guys don't get a chance to test ride XL rigs!)

This is the most dialed geo I have seen for an xl 29er ever. It is low, slack and long. Not to mention it will be playful with the short chain stays and low BB. It has a steep seat tube, so it will pedal well since the rider will be over the pedals. Additionally, it has 115mm of travel in the back so the bike should pedal well and have a nice mid-stroke that should give a lot of pop so it should be super playful. Finally, they nailed the reach at over 19". Big guys over 6'4" can finally run a 55mm stem and have a bike that fits. On paper this bike is perfect.

I own a camber evo with a 130mm pike and this bike takes what I love about the camber and makes it better with a much longer reach and shorter chain stays. This freaking smuggler should absolutely rip! My camber just rips and the geo on the smuggler is even better!! Well done Transition, I will own this bike some day!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No FD support is a deal breaker for those who live where we need a 22. Bummer. Being a short travel 29er, I would think this would be targeted for xc use. Seems like a mistake to not have FD mount. I am looking for a more fun alloy replacement for my Tallboy carbon, and the Smuggler looks awesome except for this fatal flaw!

mtbr member
    I understand the frustration, but I don't think this bike is aimed at the XC crowd. Personally, I'd rather let the Geometry goals be the primary focus. It's the classic "you can't have your cake and eat it too" argument.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    No FD support is a deal breaker for those who live where we need a 22. Bummer. Being a short travel 29er, I would think this would be targeted for xc use. Seems like a mistake to not have FD mount. I am looking for a more fun alloy replacement for my Tallboy carbon, and the Smuggler looks awesome except for this fatal flaw!
    Thinking this bike is designed for "XC" is probably looking at rear travel and none of the other numbers. If I had the cash, this or Banshee's Phantom would be my next bike... I love the idea of short travel, but more with the slack, long, low geo. From me, and me only, I've discovered I don't need much more that 100mm in an FS bike and 29er wheels; I'm constantly surprised what my "XC" Epic, and before that Mach429, can ride, survive, and thrive on. I'm sure it would only get better with the geo of these bikes (or Kona's Process111).

On the FD mount: I go back and forth between both sides. This year, I've run both (cheap) 1x and 2x. I really like the positives of both set ups. For me, going 1x ("easiest" being 30x36) meant walking some steep stuff at times... but I only really missed top end on the road back to the car. I like that Transition didn't change up the geo just to throw on an FD mount. One of the advantages of ditching the FD was not having to mess with chain stay length to fit one. At least Transition is doing that with the Smuggler. For me... I love that they throw in the 42t pie plate with the "low-end" build if you need it. If I really needed that low end... there's always 30 (or even 28)X42.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way... Transition... LOVE the look of the XL frame/bike in blue... Always great to see beautiful, big bikes!
    Last edited by padrefan1982; 09-28-2014 at 04:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Smuggler is a great looking bike and looks burly enough to ride whatever you can throw at it. I'm no suspension guru, but anyone got any insight into how this design would compare to the other designs out there like a DW sultan, Yeti SB95 or Niner RDO? I know there are many factors such as travel, head angles and chain stay length that dictate how a bike pedals upwards and how it handles the downs. Just wondering (without riding it) what you can expect from the smuggler.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    To each their own. I personally dont think there is anywhere that NEEDS a 22 in the front. 30t w/ 42 rear is low enough to get you up the steepest stuff, you may just have to put some more power down with a slower cadence, or stand up. Most people who say you need a granny gear have never tried a 1x setup. Change your riding style slightly and be rewarded ten-fold. I am buying this bike definitely for XC, but really, as a do-it-all. I dont think Transition makes an exclusively XC bike. It seems like the descending characteristics are always at the top of the list, 67.5 HTA is pretty aggressive for a 29er. I imagine my final build having a monarch plus and some burlier wheels, and taking this baby on some bike park laps.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    To each their own. I personally dont think there is anywhere that NEEDS a 22 in the front.
    It's on very long rides where a 22 comes in handy. I have a 30x32 on my hardtail and I can climb anything while standing, if I need to, but I can't imagine a 20 mile ride on that thing and struggling to climb the last long grinds. I think a 30x42 would climb a wall though.

I do like that with a front derailleur, you change the kinematics of a suspension bike, and can make a more aggressive climber out of a relatively lazy frame. The enduro is a great example, it's pretty inefficient in the big ring, but shift it down and it's a great climber. The smuggler should be a good climber even in a 30t ring though.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud View Post
    what you can expect from the smuggler.
    Transition Scout 27.5'' 2015 - Linkage Design

Check these out (this is for the scout, but kinematics should be similar for the smuggler). To summarize, it looks like it will pedal very efficiently for any bike, with ~100% antisquat at sag, neutral braking, and a linearly progressive leverage rate. It's not as "fancy" as DW's stuff (which maintains 100% AS for longer), but it should still be a superb riding bike. The enduro 29 I have has a similar curve and it works very well, but it needs a smaller chainring to be as efficient as the smuggler.

J:
    Lunker
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    I do like that with a front derailleur, you change the kinematics of a suspension bike, and can make a more aggressive climber out of a relatively lazy frame.
    Most people completely fail to understand this and just look at gear ratio.

mtbr member
    Keep it as is without the FD.
    Only thing I'd like to see is a raw aluminum frame.

For those of you going to outer bike, please ride the piss out of the smuggler and tell us about it.

BTW, the smuggler reminds me of my TNT Sultan with spot rockers and a 130mm WB fork up front. With Mountain King 2.4s it owned the whole enchilada.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast