Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Smuggler

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Since I'm waiting on my frame, here's my parts list:

2018 pike rct3. I have a luftkappe that I might swap over.

Stans Arch S1 wheelset
    DHF and a minion SS for tires
    X01 11spd drive train for now
    Guide RS brakes with 180mm rotors
    Bike yoke dropper 160mm
    Anvl saddle
    40mm raceface turbine R stem and Next R bar 800mm.

Not too different from my current smuggler. (Large 2016 frame/fork/reverb for sale if anyone is looking)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    Attachment 1164574

so, with 3 hours of riding, once again, I love the quiet feel of steering, the super solid feel of the bike, the climbing position (both seated and standing)...

W
    Hey Holiday,

Respect for podiums at Dville DH (10 years apart!), and sorry to hear that your 18 Smug was too big.

Since you prefer a bike < 28 lbs, I'm wondering if you can comment on whether the SBG Smuggler's steep seat angle helps compensate for the extra frame weight?

I always end up sliding my hips forward so they're over the cranks more when seated and grinding up anything steep--it feels like I can deliver more power in that position, rather than sliding rearwards onto the saddle.

But, riding on the nose of the saddle doesn't really cut it on long steep climbs, so traditional/slack seat angles are sort of a deal breaker for me now (and if Evil's latest Following MB had a steeper seat angle, then I would have already replaced my first gen Following w/ the new version).

I don't wanna open a can of worms about pedaling biomechanics and power delivery, I'm just hoping that if the steep seat angle helps one deliver more power, then maybe the '18 Smug may not feel so heavy compared to a slightly lighter bike w a slacker seat angle (looking at you, Evil Following).

p.s. Also wondering if you sold a pair of 183cm Elan 1010's a few years ago--If so, then I bought them from you. Just wanted to say Thanks!!! They became my daily drivers until the topsheet delaminated on one last season. They handled everything great, except chunky refrozen Sierra crud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I rode a demo large Smuggler today--I am 6 foot with a 34.4 inseam and I found it a bit short---the reach is long but the top tube is short--no longer than my 429T Pivot---which is known for being short. I honestly was a bit discouraged by this as I was oriented to loving the Smuggler but alas.......

So far I have found no one with an XL demo and Transition says that bike would be too large.

Frustrating a bit but no real surprise but I am not all that long legged to make fit an issue time and time again.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    I rode a demo large Smuggler today--I am 6 foot with a 34.4 inseam and I found it a bit short---the reach is long but the top tube is short--no longer than my 429T Pivot---which is known for being short. I honestly was a bit discouraged by this as I was oriented to loving the Smuggler but alas.......

So far I have found no one with an XL demo and Transition says that bike would be too large.

Frustrating a bit but no real surprise but I am not all that long legged to make fit an issue time and time again.
    I also demo'd a large today.

I am 6-0 but a 33ish inseam. Definitely a lot of seat post. Felt short initially but absolutely loved it on the trail. What a fun bike.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I don't know what that is a problem. If the tt on the 429 fits, then it should set you up good for the smuggler.
    I just went to the new Jekyll (since the sentinel was taking too long for my impatient self), and the reach is way longer than my previous bikes (xl camber), but the tt is the same as the camber. So climbing feels good and similar, even with steeper STA. I do need to get a deeper hinge to keep the front wheel weighted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    It is interesting but I am finding--and many have previously stated in these forums---that one needs to ride the bikes to know what feels right. Even two bikes with very similar numbers can feel very different on fit------odd but true.

With my 429 I have the seat way back thus indicating the bike is too short and the Smuggler seat was centered-----but I do not want to buy a bike and push the seat back again as it puts me too far over the cluster.

mtbr member
    I assume you're saying it feels too short while seated? This is because of steeper seattube angle, and it's an important part of the whole SBG concept. You might consider that what you're feeling is different, but not necessarily "wrong." Going from the 17 to 18 patrol, I felt the same way, but found that my climbing performance improved on the 18 and even though it feels "different" it has no negative effect. Obviously only you can know, but just something to consider.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    It is interesting but I am finding--and many have previously stated in these forums---that one needs to ride the bikes to know what feels right. Even two bikes with very similar numbers can feel very different on fit------odd but true.

With my 429 I have the seat way back thus indicating the bike is too short and the Smuggler seat was centered-----but I do not want to buy a bike and push the seat back again as it puts me too far over the cluster.
    I understand what you are saying. The SBG layout feels different. It weights the front by shoving everything way forward.

In the basic parking lot "fit test" it felt a bit crowded and kinda old school. With this kind of HTA you expect the the front tire to be more in front of you.

On the trail I did a number of tight up hill switch backs and the front stayed planted with zero body english and no weird floppy steering.

Also felt the position made for really nice climbing. On rolling climbs I was doing better than my normal pace.

Once I pointed it downhill I could stay forward for insane traction on the front tire or shift back for drops. It was wet and slippery on my ride and traction was very impressive.

I've been waiting for a new steed for too long and have demod a number of bikes in this category and this is my favorite by a lot. Basically felt like a Ripley that knows how to party.

For an ancient retired BMX er that started riding MTBs in 1990 it was the ideal blend of precice steering (like the old days) coupled with modern efficiency and geometry. Loved it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    On the trail I did a number of tight up hill switch backs and the front stayed planted with zero body english and no weird floppy steering.

Also felt the position made for really nice climbing. On rolling climbs I was doing better than my normal pace.

Once I pointed it downhill I could stay forward for insane traction on the front tire or shift back for drops. It was wet and slippery on my ride and traction was very impressive.
    I've had the same results for all of the above.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    While im waiting for my medium 2017 Smuggler (ordered it because of color, and being non boost, to utilize my current mavic wheelset, which i have now broken..) i'll put up my spec list

Hope Pro 4 Enduro wheel set with orange hubs
    WTB Vigilante 2.3" Light Fast rolling
    WTB Trail Boss 2.25" Light Fast rolling
    Both running Tubeless of course
    RS Yari Debon air 140 mm
    Shimano XT M8000 brakes
    180 mm discs
    GX 11 Speed shifter and derailur
    Shimano 11-46 SLX cassette
    Bike Yoke Revive 125 mm Dropper post
    Orange Hope Seat Clamp
    Orange Hope Steering fittings
    Orange Jagwire brakelines and gear cables
    Bikeyoke I-Spec II adapter for dropper trigger
    MisMatch 1.2 I-Spec II adapter for GX shifter
    Raceface Atlas Raw 35 800 mm bars
    Funn FunnDuro Stem 35 mm orange
    CrankBrothers Stamp 3 Macaskill small
    older FSA carbon cranks

Looking forward to getting some pics up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Smuggler-resized_20171113_140950_2612.jpg

It's here! I have about 10 trail miles in the books with. Everything claimed about SBG is true. It really is worth the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm curious what you all find in regards to this bikes "capability". How much better does it climb than the Sentinel and when would you choose to up to the Sentinel?

I am 5'10 and sat on a Large at my LBS this weekend. Much want. The bone color? So rad.

I think it'd be perfect for ~80% of my rides but we have a fair amount of gnar that I may be underbiked in....home turf is Pisgah Natl Forest in NC. Currently on a 140/160 Spitfire (27.5), which is underbiked just a bit here in Pisgah.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    I'm curious what you all find in regards to this bikes "capability". How much better does it climb than the Sentinel and when would you choose to up to the Sentinel?

I am 5'10 and sat on a Large at my LBS this weekend. Much want. The bone color? So rad.

I think it'd be perfect for ~80% of my rides but we have a fair amount of gnar that I may be underbiked in....home turf is Pisgah Natl Forest in NC. Currently on a 140/160 Spitfire (27.5), which is underbiked just a bit here in Pisgah.

Maybe the smuggler with fork travel at 150 might be the best of both worlds for you? Or even swapping the 34 for a 36@150, and replacing the headset with a -1* angle set...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    I can't answer your question on the Sentinel, but I've found running a coil in the rear of the short travel bikes seems to help a lot with riding in Pisgah. I used to ride a 130mm 27.5 with a coil and the coil in the rear seemed to help a lot vs running air.

The DBCoil IL is a minimal weight increase (1/2lb) and I expect it'd help a Smuggler be more feasible down some of the gnarlier stuff in Pisgah. All that said, my riding rarely puts me into bottom out territory and the value I saw out of the coil rear or longer travel is the ability for the bike to soak up the loose rocks, small bumps, and stay planted. If you are bottoming out on drops and such, it may not be the best option, especially for a linear linkage like on Transition bikes, but if you feel the bike is getting overwhelmed with small, fast, chunky stuff, it would definitely help.

I have a non-SBG Smuggler and will probably be putting one on soon, I'll let you know how it pans out.

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    I have a non-SBG Smuggler and will probably be putting one on soon, I'll let you know how it pans out.
    Please do as I am interested in your thoughts as well.

On a semi-related note, has anyone installed the RWC needle bearing kit on the top eyelet of their smuggler?
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The RWC works great on the smuggler. Mine lasted two seasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    ...If you are bottoming out on drops and such, it may not be the best option, especially for a linear linkage like on Transition bikes, but if you feel the bike is getting overwhelmed with small, fast, chunky stuff, it would definitely help.

I've done the coil on a linear bike before and it def doesn't work for me. I bottom out on every ride and like you said, the coil (on my Spitfire) was RAD in the soft chatter and climbing, but it lost composure at mach stupid in chunder. No support deep in the stroke.

I haven't seen the charts for new Smuggler though.....but maybe a DPX2 would be more apt for the more aggro Smuggler build. I'm surprised they're not offering something beefier on these (as frame only or completes).

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I saw somewhere that Transition does not recommend a coil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhbrooks View Post
    The RWC works great on the smuggler. Mine lasted two seasons.
    i've wondered about this as well. how does it feel different from the stock set up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    not criticizing anyone's desire to modify or improve their Smugglers (i've played around with HA) but just saying, i find the Monarch Deb. a great shock. i find it performs well, the bike tracks great and is supple. of course i bottom it fairly regularly (but i bottom my Patrol on a hard ride as well) but rarely does it feel harsh. i have 2 bands in the shock which increases some progressivity and love it. it can be easy to lose sight on a bike this confidence inspiring that it is still a trail bike and part of the appeal is a taught back end compared to 140+ bikes. my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    i've wondered about this as well. how does it feel different from the stock set up?
    It gets things moving in the beginning of the stroke with way less effort. It felt like it hung up less on square edges. The other big benefit is that the needle bearing out lasted the normal bushing..of which I was burning through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Of somewhat related interest:

Instagram.com/p/Bbh-JmIFfHp/

Last edited by Lithified; 3 Days Ago at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhbrooks View Post
    It gets things moving in the beginning of the stroke with way less effort. It felt like it hung up less on square edges. The other big benefit is that the needle bearing out lasted the normal bushing..of which I was burning through.
    thanks mate, makes sense. what size is needed for the Smuggler?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    thanks mate, makes sense. what size is needed for the Smuggler?
    The Fox Polymer tophat bushings and hardware have been great in both my Scout and Patrol for the top shock mount. Thats if you want a different option. The needle bearings would be awesome though.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Members who have read this thread: 436