Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Smuggler

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ansman View Post
    Here is mine. A lot of Hope parts and a Bikeyoke dropper post.
    I'm pretty sure I've ridden this bike! Neil from velotek.se arranged me a demo in February. Thank you very much for helping me to make a right decision and get a Smuggler. If you ever come to Estonia with bike I can show you some nice trails around here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    any other XL (or L) riders have advice? About to buy pick up a Smuggler after coveting one for the past year.
    I'm 6'2", long legs and arms, and a bit torn between L and XL. I did get to pedal around on a L, my main concern there was that it required a lot of seat post.
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm 6'3", also long legs and arms. XL is good for me with 70mm stem and 30mm of spacers. I have not tried L, but I think it is too small for our size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    6'2 here long torso and arms. I ride a large Smuggler with 40mm stem and 780mm bars, 140mm fork and 1 degree angle set all which change the geometry slightly. I have a 125mm dropper reverb and about 70mm of the post 'base' showing above the seat clamp.

Comparing to most other bikes it's a fairly big large IMO, TT and reach are decent and I find it comfy.

However, I am pretty sure I could also ride the XL no problem at all and actually I don't think there's much difference in standover height or seat post mast height on them is there - maybe 20mm or so?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    XL has 38mm longer seattube and 26 longer reach

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Every time this thread gets bumped, I click on it knowing I'll see: Transition introduces the carbon Smuggler. <sigh>

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Every time this thread gets bumped, I click on it knowing I'll see: Transition introduces the carbon Smuggler. <sigh>
    Seems like there's a new Transition 29er in the works called the Sentinel. Looks like a lot more travel and so far just spotted in AL, likely a prototype. Singletrackworld.com has a write-up on what's been spotted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNateDude View Post
    Seems like there's a new Transition 29er in the works called the Sentinel. Looks like a lot more travel and so far just spotted in AL, likely a prototype. Singletrackworld.com has a write-up on what's been spotted.
    My hope is that they introduce a Carbon Smuggler, and an aluminum Sentinal at the same time.

mtbr member
    Just finished building it up.
    Smuggler-img_20170714_121649.jpg
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Just finished building it up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170714_121649.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	1146547
    Bling Bling. Nice Build BaeckerX1!
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    My Smuggler is still going strong and has a few upgrades since my last post.

Cane Creek DBinline
    Cromag Trailmaster Saddle
    Wolf tooth elliptical chain ring 30T
    Schwalbe Magic Mary (F) / Nobby Nic (R)

Smuggler-bm_smuggler.jpg
    Last edited by roadracerX; 07-14-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: edited pic

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracerX View Post
    My Smuggler is still going strong and has a few upgrades since my last post.

Cane Creek DBinline
    Cromag Trailmaster Saddle
    Wolf tooth elliptical chain ring 30T
    Schwalbe Magic Mary (F) / Nobby Nic (R)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BM_Smuggler.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	1146615
    Whoa settle down on those colour combinations!

/Jks - love the stealth build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Bling Bling. Nice Build BaeckerX1!
    Thanks man. I'm having fun with it so far. We're still getting to know each other, but I think it's going to be a long and successful relationship.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Finally got me a Sumggler, was going to wait for the new model but got a good deal on this demo one.

Fox 36 fork
    Full XT drive line and brakes
    Easton Arc rims with DHF 2.5 and DHR 2.4
    Chromag pedals, stem and bar. But might change the blue bar and grips to a better suited colour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-img_0384.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bbunnys View Post
    Finally got me a Sumggler, was going to wait for the new model but got a good deal on this demo one.

Fox 36 fork
    Chromag pedals, stem and bar. But might change the blue bar and grips to a better suited colour.
    Nice, how much travel are you running on the Fox 36?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bbunnys View Post

Fox 36 fork
    Nice! Is that the Fox 36 with the Evol up front? How much drop on your fox transfer post?
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Nice! Is that the Fox 36 with the Evol up front? How much drop on your fox transfer post?
    Given the length of that and the fact that it's the longest size Fox makes, I can guess with 99% certainty that it's a 150mm post.

P.S. I have a 150mm Transfer on my other bike.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Swapped my "lying around the garage" Command Post for a 160mm BikeYoke Revive. Damn that thing is awesome so far!

I'm loving the Smuggler, but I do seem to be losing air in the shock even after pumping it up multiple times and cycling the suspension to fill the negative air chamber. I hope it sorts itself out so I don't have to warranty the Monarch. It's also a bit weepy with oil still, but I heard the Monarchs take awhile to bed in and then they're fine. Anyone else experience this?

Other than that, the bike rides faster and more confidently than my 27.5 160mm carbon "enduro" bike. It just goes through the rough stuff like it's not there. The bike is super stiff and plows over whatever you point it at with zero noticeable flex or protest. They absolutely nailed the geometry on this bike and I can't imagine how their new SBG geo can be much better. It really is super confidence-inspiring on steep, rocky tech. It feels like it would be really difficult to go over the bars, even when tiptoeing through weird, off-camber, wheel-trap-filled boulders. I also felt instantly comfortable sitting on the bike, and the pedaling position is solid. When really charging through fast, rocky stuff you can feel it a bit more than a longer travel rig, but it somehow skips over it all without losing speed or getting bogged down, all while maintaining serious traction/grip. I love the sporty feel, and I haven't been in a situation yet where I felt like I wanted more travel. It deftly straddles the line between a short-travel XC bike and a long-travel plow bike. It just uses the travel it has so well and feels like it has way more than it does. I'm sure that's a combination of the 29-inch wheel rollover and the suspension design.

I have to say I'd never thought I'd ever be on a 29er, but this latest crop of aggressive 29ers really made me want to try one. Straight-line speed is insane and I'm carrying much more speed with less pedaling on wide open tracks. It's damn nimble for as long as it is, but I still find myself shooting wider on some turns than my 27.5 bike, and I'm getting used to the extra effort to turn the big wheels and long wheelbase in tighter turns. I'd say I'm overall faster, but still losing a little speed over my 27.5 in tight, repeat corners (though that's quickly changing as I adapt to the bike). The increased traction has definitely been noticeable on my dry, loose trails.

As for the uphill, this bike makes technical climbs so much easier. The 29 inch wheels and the suspension design really make for a bike that can easily get over rocky ledges and roots. It's a bit heavier than what I'm used to at 31.3 lbs with my size large frame (even with carbon bars and cranks, plus an X01 Eagle drivetrain). I would prefer it was in the 30s at least, but the extra weight isn't killing me, and I'm setting a lot of new climb PRs. I could get it there if I wasn't running ultra-wide Flow MK3 rims and a Pike instead of the Yari, but I love how stiff and burly the Yari is. The suspension is a traction machine, and just climbs through the gnarliest, loosest trails. It's efficient enough for the massive Colorado climbs without draining excess energy, but it's not an ultra-efficient power-machine like the DW-link or Yeti bikes. Still, [in my opinion] it rides at speed through the rough way smoother than these bikes so one can pick their poison. That being said, the climb switch on the Monarch really firms things up and makes a noticeable difference if that's your thing or you're stomping up long fireroads.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ditto, smuggler is super capable. I have a giant reign, this year the smuggler has been ridden 1800miles, reign 200 (90% uplifted!), preference is always the smuggler, feels faster and more sure footed, reign is a bit of a plow machine with very little feedback. Contemplated taking the smuggler to the megavalanche, there are a quite a few sections which are rough/very rocky so would be hanging on a bit, so took the reign instead.

Had a car park ride on a Trek Fuel EX and was a surprised at how small it felt compared to my smuggler, on paper the fuel should feel longer, but in reality felt tiny. The plan was to merge the reign and smuggler into one bike, fuel being the best match on paper.

Keeping the smuggler, turning it into a super smuggler for upcoming trips to peebles/innerleithen and Molini. Ohlins STX ordered, 170mm dropper (to replace 150mm), -1degree headset and a 150mm air shaft for the pikes.

Cutting down to one bike isn't going to happen, waiting for the sentinel to become available.

Knob scrubber
    Just finished building my Smuggler today, unfortunately it was too late to go and get it dirty. I'm pretty stoked with how it turned out, hopefully I can get it and give it a run before the weekend.

Fox 34 factory 150mm fork
    Sram X1 drivetrain with guide brakes
    Raceface cranks
    WTB rims on hope hubs

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Finksta; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:13 PM. Reason: Spec added

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Running 140 Fork

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Given the length of that and the fact that it's the longest size Fox makes, I can guess with 99% certainty that it's a 150mm post.

P.S. I have a 150mm Transfer on my other bike.
    Yep is a 150mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Finksta View Post
    Just finished building my Smuggler today, unfortunately it was too late to go and get it dirty. I'm pretty stoked with how it turned out, hopefully I can get it and give it a run before the weekend.

Fox 34 factory 150mm fork
    Sram X1 drivetrain with guide brakes
    Raceface cranks
    WTB rims on hope hubs

Nice build! You're gonna love it. I'm curious on any feedback you have with the fork set at 150mm.

Does it still climb well or does the front start to feel light?
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE

Knob scrubber
    I managed to get out for my first ride on it yesterday. It climbs amazingly well still. The front end stays planted and doesn't wander at all. I knew this bike was going to be good after everything I've read on it, but it has blown all of my expectations out of the water.

Comparing it to my carbon stumpjumper (130/140) it does everything better. They really have knocked it out of the park with the suspension, I just cannot believe how plush this thing is with only 115mm travel. It actually feels like it has more available than my stumpy. I just can't wait to give it a proper workout this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Smuggler-p5pb15010128.jpg

Ohlins STX22 is a big improvement over the monarch, rear end is a lot more composed and more grip.

Fitted a -1 degree angleset, as have a 46mm Pike fitted, not had a proper ride on it yet, but quick ride on some local trails and it feels more stable.

Going to fit a 150mm air shaft, as the 140mm shaft with a luftkappe makes the fork sit at 136mm, should be sitting around 146mm with the 150, so will slacken the bike out a bit more.

Very impressed with the smuggler, so much so that I've sold my Giant Reign, ridden it a handful of times this year, smuggler is quicker most of the time and more engaging.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by arashi View Post
    I just wanted to share an update on my Smuggler. I slapped a Cane Creek DB Inline Coil last night.
    Hey there, thanks for the info. Just wondering if you could give some more details about how it's going? I've been super keen to do this too and was having trouble finding anyone who had added a coil to a Smuggler.

I ended up emailing Transition the other day and was super stoked to get a reply from the owner. This was his advice:

"I have had a bit of experience with coils on the smuggler. I would say if you can find an air shock go that route. Mainly because our bikes are linear that on a coil they end up going through the last bit of travel to easily. You might see some fitted on our bikes but they have custom stoppers that are larger and help add some progression to the end of the stroke. I would hang tight and wait for the new DPX2 to become available! As for the offset bushing, go for it, I ran them on my Scout coupled with a longer travel fork and I loved it!"

So I thought that has pretty much put the nail in the coffin and then remembered that I'd seen am image of your ride with a DB on it and would love to know your feelings on the liner nature of the coil approach and bottoming out.

Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    hey everyone, who all changed the travel in their Pike from 130 up to 140? I know many of you have your Smuggler at 140 and I'd like to try it out. Right now I have the Pike that came with my Smuggler build at 130. Do I need to get a 140 air shaft to go up? Or are there spacers that can be removed?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    hey everyone, who all changed the travel in their Pike from 130 up to 140? I know many of you have your Smuggler at 140 and I'd like to try it out. Right now I have the Pike that came with my Smuggler build at 130. Do I need to get a 140 air shaft to go up? Or are there spacers that can be removed?

Thanks!
    You need to get the air shaft. The Pike doesnt use a spacer system.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    You need to get the air shaft. The Pike doesnt use a spacer system.
    Yep correct. Air shafts are pretty cheap though.

mtbr member
    long term review, 2015 smuggler

I have had my '15 smuggler since August of 2015 so just over 2 years now and it's still going strong. I have done everything on it, XC local trails, back country mountain trails, bike park, you name it. Roughly 2,335 miles (according to Strava). The only major change I have done to it is adding 30mm ID light bicycle carbon rims to it, wide carbon rims + minions = <3. I have kept up the maintenance on the pivots (enduro max bearings) & suspension.

I did recently upgraded the drive train to X01 Eagle and man I really have to say it was well worth it, the range it provides really is beneficial to a bike like this.

was going to put a pic but damn wtf
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    Yep correct. Air shafts are pretty cheap though.
    Hey thanks, So I need this, right? What about the small parts?https://smartbikeparts.com/search_de...php?itm=FK8640

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just go on YouTube and watch a video. It will explain the whole procedure.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    Just go on YouTube and watch a video. It will explain the whole procedure.
    Thanks, I found a couple videos; I'll figure it out. Can anyone comment on going from 130 to 140 on their Smuggler? Noticeable difference?

Knob scrubber
    Thanks, I found a couple videos; I'll figure it out. Can anyone comment on going from 130 to 140 on their Smuggler? Noticeable difference?
    I've gone 150 on mine, love it. I was worried that the front wheel might feel a big vague and wander a bit on steep climbs, but it's not a problem at all. Still climbs like a goat.

Once you're pointed downhill, I think the 150 fork suits this bike really well. I still find it hard to believe that it's only 115mm in the rear, with my sag set at the recommended 33% I am rarely hitting bottom out while I'm consistently using all the travel on my fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Any idea when the 2018 will be announced?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ive been running a 130/160 Fox Talas for a 1.5 years and have only ridden in 160MM since go. Bike climbs like a billygoat and when you point it downhill it gets happy!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by truelonghorn View Post
    Ive been running a 130/160 Fox Talas for a 1.5 years and have only ridden in 160MM since go. Bike climbs like a billygoat and when you point it downhill it gets happy!
    Thanks for the info! some extra squish in the front would be nice. I've hit some pretty big stuff with current 130/115 set up, but imo more travel = more fun

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi everyone, just got a medium frame. I'm curious about the fit of the 150mm drop Reverb. Does the Reverb go in all the way or is there a substantial amount of it sticking out as it too long for it to fit completely inside the seattube?

Thanks!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Members who have read this thread: 349