Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Smuggler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    How well does the smuggler handle jumps? I've never spent any time aboard a 29er. I had to make a slight adjustment jumping when I went from 26" to 27.5" wheels, but that could've also just been a change in the bike and not just the wheels. I'm not talking tombstone DJs or anything like that. I know the Smuggler will handle all the other trails around me, but one of the areas I frequent has a lot of short lines with some jumps/drops built into them. Here's a couple GoPro vids of the trails I have in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMzlL-5Zj1A (most gaps are small, the last gap is about 12' lip to lip)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyw4rDw5pXA
    Me likey those trails

PS - FWIW my Transition Bandit 29 1, hucks easier than my 650b Enduro mule o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    2017 Smuggler, size large, here. Does anyone know the minimum seatpost insertion for this frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    From Transition

You should just follow the minimum insertion line marked on whatever seatpost you have. Usually it is 80mm or sometimes 100mm.
    Cheers,TBC

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What's the story on the carbon??? When is it comin?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm curious, what kind of weights are folks building their Smugglers up to. One of the things that piqued my curiosity on this bike was the weight. The Transition site, has a claimed 29lbs for the size large with kit 2 and without pedals. That's pretty light to me especially since I'd be looking at a medium. My LBS doesn't seem to think they would build up that light.

American Made!
    I'm curious, what kind of weights are folks building their Smugglers up to. One of the things that piqued my curiosity on this bike was the weight. The Transition site, has a claimed 29lbs for the size large with kit 2 and without pedals. That's pretty light to me especially since I'd be looking at a medium. My LBS doesn't seem to think they would build up that light.
    2017 size LG:
    In 29er mode - pike, 1x11, dropper and I9 wheels- just a tick over 30 lbs.
    In 27.5 plus mode- same set up but King Hubs to Spank Oozy rims - 31.3 lbs
    Hope that helps and btw it's a kick ass frame/bike!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    '15 smuggler 1, with LB carbon wheels, DHRII/DHF, 29.5lbs
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    2 questions... for the short guys, on a small, how easy is it to manual this bike?

Heavy guys, around 190-200 how many volume spacers do you use on the shock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    easy

2 bands.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks bro!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Heya all,

Had a chance to test ride the smuggler (medium) in moab, fun bike, felt short though.

Question. I am 5'8 and was wondering if anyone of similar height rides a size large with a 40mm or < stem

does this affect the climbing?

My current bike (norco torrent) has 10mm more reach than the medium and running a 50mm stem on it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey all, first post. Long time visitor!

I currently run a 2014 Bandit 29 and have the option to get one of the teal coloured Smugglers (2015?). My issue is... How different is the Smuggler from the Bandit 29 and is it going to be a same / same deal or something way better than their original wagon wheeler?

Any one else had the Bandit 29 and bumped across to the Smuggler? Thoughts and opinions welcomed!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YOYOHO View Post
    Hey all, first post. Long time visitor!

I currently run a 2014 Bandit 29 and have the option to get one of the teal coloured Smugglers (2015?). My issue is... How different is the Smuggler from the Bandit 29 and is it going to be a same / same deal or something way better than their original wagon wheeler?

Any one else had the Bandit 29 and bumped across to the Smuggler? Thoughts and opinions welcomed!
    I went from an OG Bandit 26 to the Smuggler. Aside from the bigger wheels, the Smuggler pedals way better than the Bandit ever did, even with all of the sag the Giddy-Up bikes are meant to run. The Smuggler will have a longer reach too, but I'm sure you'll feel right at home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2017 Transition Smuggler

Here's mine;

Frame: Transition Smuggler, Black, Large
    Forks: RockShox Revelation RL 130mm 29er QR15 White.
    Headset: Hope Pick N Mix, black.
    Stem: Easton EA70 70mm, -6 degree rise, Oversize
    Handlebar: Easton Haven Low Rise Carbon Oversize Bars, 740mm
    Grips: ODI Rogue with black lock-on collars
    Shifters: Shimano XT M8000 11 Speed I-Spec II
    Seat Post: RockShox Reverb
    Saddle: Ritchey WCS Marathon
    Crankset: Shimano XT M8000
    Pedals: Shimano XTR SPD
    Chain: KMC X11 11 Speed
    Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11 Speed 42-11t
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT M8000 Shadow+
    Front Brake: Shimano XT M8000 200mm Ice Tech Rotor
    Rear Brake: Shimano XT m8000 180mm Ice Tech Rotor
    Wheelset: Hope ProII Evo Hubs on ZTR Crest Rims
    Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin

Smuggler-dscf6838.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wow great looking 2017 there Dickie. How are you getting on with the XT M8000 stuff? I'm thinking of upgrading my 2015 stock 1x10 slx/deore to the new SLX M7000 or XT M8000. Here's my new to me 2015 Smuggler build kit 2:

Smuggler-smuggler.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ooh i like the all black.

Is there any difference between any of the model years?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No issue at all with the M8000 stuff, I also run it on a Czar. If anything I would say the shift is a little heavy against the clutch on the rear mech but this can be lightened by backing off the clutch spring a little - but its not really an issue.

Later models have improved mud clearance at the seat stay bridge & a slightly higher BB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dickie View Post
    No issue at all with the M8000 stuff, I also run it on a Czar. If anything I would say the shift is a little heavy against the clutch on the rear mech but this can be lightened by backing off the clutch spring a little - but its not really an issue.

Later models have improved mud clearance at the seat stay bridge & a slightly higher BB.
    Hi Dickie, i also have a Czar and Transition (but a Patrol). I don't understand why you have a Czar and a Smuggler because i think they have a similar program (the Czar can be built with a 130 mm fork).

That said, your smuggler is very nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The Czar is a short travel light XC bike, designed around a 100mm fork - mine wears a 1400g carbon wheelset.
    The Smuggler is a plush slack angled trail bike about 7lb heavier than the Czar.
    They are too completely different bikes & feel that way when riding them, & OK the Czar will take a 130mm fork but why would I put a 130mm fork on bike designed for less, I may as well buy a bike designed around a 130mm fork if that's what I need.
    Oh wait - I did - A Smuggler.

To me they are completely different, & at the end of the day the import thing is what I think, & I very happy with my two different bikes.

I should point out I've had the Czar 2 years & was swopping parts from a Switchback Unveil 9 to the Smuggler frame.
    I also demo'd a Pivot 429 Trail prior to getting the Smuggler frame & while noticeably slacker than the Czar I felt it wasn't different enough & my wheels on the Unveil 9 weren't boost so more expense on a frame already more expensive than a Smuggler.

I think the equation I came too was;

(Czar + Smuggler)/2 = 429 Trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So I've had my Smuggler for about 20 rides now and this is the first time I've had the chance to test 2 similar frames, from the same manufacturer, back to back with all the same components. I ported everything off my 2014 Transition Bandit 29 on to the new frame.

So after riding for a bit on exactly the same trails (and timed through Strava) I can give a bit of feed back between the two.

The Smuggler is a pretty easy 'fit and forget' ride with and the new suspension it's a very 'active' bike. The bike feels smaller and livelier than the Bandit does but the does come at the expense of it feeling a little more out of control and sketchier than the rock solid Bandit.

The Bandit just motors on... up hills and down it is positive, solid and feels on rails. You never need to get out of the saddle climbing as it just got there and pretty quickly. For sure you needed to flick the shock switch on the CTD but not biggie. It is more moveable than you think and once you realise that it's pretty checkable. The Bandit doesn't really care where the line is it just goes where you want it to go.

The Smuggler for me is more agressive trail with the Bandit more trail / AM. You sit higher on the Smuggler than the Bandit where you always felt 'in' the bike. Another thing with the Smuggler is that the new suspension lures you into thinking you're hammering the climbs as it almost settles you int a rhythm of mashing the pedals when if you just smooth out the riding up you find you can go quicker with less effort. I've also had more pedal strikes on the Smuggler.

Now to the main part... In a way I'm gutted I've got rid of my Bandit. It was stiffer, burlier and much faster than the Smuggler. Hands down on all my usual trails from sweeping blues (I'm based in Cape Town at the moment) with berms and switchbacks, to forest reds, to black enduro lines my Smuggler has been slower and, dare I say it, twitchier. It's far more popable and 'fun' but the Bandit gave you the confidence to tackle a lot of terrain where a 120mm bike should be way out of it's depths and it's a credit that it delivered you at the end of the trail with a big smile, without a scratch and wanting to go again.

I am peddling a lot more on the Smuggler on lines where I was just flowing on the Bandit, freewheeling and looking to scrub speed off before the next corner and to be honest it makes you feel a little bit stupid as the Bandit beats it on the flat, the ups and down. On my go-to loop which is a 2.5km down and a 1.4km climb the Smuggler loses about 21secs on the down alone... but it makes you feel like you are going hell for leather. So you feel faster, you feel more like you're in a Transition video jumping off little hits etc and because there is so much going on but in fact you are actually slower.

The Bandit was more gravity focused but very capable else where. It felt like a bike that was made by guys who loved DH, enduro and railing s*it. It was pretty simple. The Smuggler feels a bit like it was made by those guys who were trying to make a more 'bike industry' bike and become a bit more grown up.

mtbr member
    great review. thanks for your thoughts. these new 29er geometries have me confused.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yep great review. I'll add some thoughts as i now have a couple of rides on my 2015 Smuggler 2. I came from a 2015 Kona Process 153 that I rode for almost 2 years.

The feel and geometry of the smuggler is pretty dialed, but the medium Kona fit me like a glove. I'm 5'10" and running a 45mm stem and 760mm bars on my transition. Planning on going to a 50mm stem and 780mm bars soon. The smuggler feels a bit more cramped than the Kona but still very comfortable. I went with a medium instead of a large and think it was a good call. On the kona I felt more in the bike and smuggler feels like i'm a little more on top, but not in a bad way. Overall they both feel really good.

The smuggler climbs better (duh). On one of my local climbs that is about 1 hour of mostly single track and some steep fire road (tiger mt, washington) I beat my climb times compared to the kona, and i am actually running a bigger chainring- 32t vs 30t with a 10-42 cassette. The smuggler was very smooth and more responsive even for having bigger wheels. The kona is not known for climbing but it did fine going up, more of a plodding climb vs the smuggler felt smoother and faster.

Trail riding- tough to call one better than the other here. The kona was fairly plush and had a lot more travel. I never really felt like it totally ate up the trail but man could that bike rail turns, big time. I rode it at whistler, north star tahoe, whitefish bike park and it really really ripped. Was a good jumper but never felt super poppy. Perhaps with lighter wheels than stock it would have made it feel a little better. I struggled with selling it because it was so awesome downhill but I wanted more of an all around bike since I only do lift stuff 1-2 times a year.

The smuggler coming down Tiger mountain was sick. Really really sick. I was a bit worried how it would handle with a lot less travel but I was immediately grinning one minute into the descent. The bigger wheels roll so good and the grip was tremendous (running tubeless minions). It wanted to jump just as much or more than the Kona. Never felt like i needed more travel but I would be a little hesitant to take the smuggler to the bike park, I will probably do it anyway and stick to flow trails since I don't plan on buying a DH bike. The times compared to my Kona were almost identical and with a little more time getting used to it it may acutally be faster. These are not overly technical trails but they do have plenty of off camber roots and rock gardens. I am going to hit some more DH type stuff if it ever dries out around here (seattle).

My smuggler has stock heavy wheels and a 1x10 deore drivetrain with a 42t cog so those are my main upgrades coming over the winter. Looking to go XT or SLX 1x11 and grab some lighter wheels. Both the Kona and Smuggler have the Pike RC fork and monarch debonair shock, the kona had the piggyback version.

So overall I think the Smuggler is more well rounded that the Process 153. The kona is a bit plodding on the way up but can really rip it going down. The smuggler seems better going up and really does not give much if anything away going down. Hope this helps some of you as i always like reading about real world comparisons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    So overall I think the Smuggler is more well rounded that the Process 153. The kona is a bit plodding on the way up but can really rip it going down. The smuggler seems better going up and really does not give much if anything away going down. Hope this helps some of you as i always like reading about real world comparisons.
    I read your reply thinking that I could not say it better myself: I traded my Kona Process 111 for a Smuggler and my conclusion is that the Smuggler is a better, more refined version of the Process 111, better climber, more confident cornering, and as fast going down. Still loved that Process 111 though...
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    After thinking of the 27.5+ tires on the Smuggler for a while, I build a set of wheels for this: WTB ASYM i29 rims, DT 350 hubs and DT spokes. Tires, went with the WTB Ranger since they seem to have decent rolling resintance, not too heavy, and they were a bit more accessible proce wise in Canada. Zero chance to ride it yet, will have to see if the 12.5" BB (320mm) is going to be way way too low. But it definitely looks good!

Clearance with the Pike is a non issue, rear is a bit tight with about 1/4" chainstay clearance from the side knobs. Hope it won't rub...
    Smuggler-img_5802-sm.jpgSmuggler-img_5803.jpgSmuggler-img_5804.jpg
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    After thinking of the 27.5+ tires on the Smuggler for a while, I build a set of wheels for this: WTB ASYM i29 rims, DT 350 hubs and DT spokes. Tires, went with the WTB Ranger since they seem to have decent rolling resintance, not too heavy, and they were a bit more accessible proce wise in Canada. Zero chance to ride it yet, will have to see if the 12.5" BB (320mm) is going to be way way too low. But it definitely looks good!

Clearance with the Pike is a non issue, rear is a bit tight with about 1/4" chainstay clearance from the side knobs. Hope it won't rub...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5802 sm.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	1106579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5803.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	1106580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5804.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	1106581
    Stoked to hear a ride report. I am on the fence between this bike and a Banshee Phantom, both with the intention of running plus through the shoulder season, and 29er in the summer (or plus all year round).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So I've had my Smuggler for about 20 rides now and this is the first time I've had the chance to test 2 similar frames, from the same manufacturer, back to back with all the same components. I ported everything off my 2014 Transition Bandit 29 on to the new frame.

So after riding for a bit on exactly the same trails (and timed through Strava) I can give a bit of feed back between the two.

The Smuggler is a pretty easy 'fit and forget' ride with and the new suspension it's a very 'active' bike. The bike feels smaller and livelier than the Bandit does but the does come at the expense of it feeling a little more out of control and sketchier than the rock solid Bandit.

The Bandit just motors on... up hills and down it is positive, solid and feels on rails. You never need to get out of the saddle climbing as it just got there and pretty quickly. For sure you needed to flick the shock switch on the CTD but not biggie. It is more moveable than you think and once you realise that it's pretty checkable. The Bandit doesn't really care where the line is it just goes where you want it to go.

The Smuggler for me is more agressive trail with the Bandit more trail / AM. You sit higher on the Smuggler than the Bandit where you always felt 'in' the bike. Another thing with the Smuggler is that the new suspension lures you into thinking you're hammering the climbs as it almost settles you int a rhythm of mashing the pedals when if you just smooth out the riding up you find you can go quicker with less effort. I've also had more pedal strikes on the Smuggler.

Now to the main part... In a way I'm gutted I've got rid of my Bandit. It was stiffer, burlier and much faster than the Smuggler. Hands down on all my usual trails from sweeping blues (I'm based in Cape Town at the moment) with berms and switchbacks, to forest reds, to black enduro lines my Smuggler has been slower and, dare I say it, twitchier. It's far more popable and 'fun' but the Bandit gave you the confidence to tackle a lot of terrain where a 120mm bike should be way out of it's depths and it's a credit that it delivered you at the end of the trail with a big smile, without a scratch and wanting to go again.

I am peddling a lot more on the Smuggler on lines where I was just flowing on the Bandit, freewheeling and looking to scrub speed off before the next corner and to be honest it makes you feel a little bit stupid as the Bandit beats it on the flat, the ups and down. On my go-to loop which is a 2.5km down and a 1.4km climb the Smuggler loses about 21secs on the down alone... but it makes you feel like you are going hell for leather. So you feel faster, you feel more like you're in a Transition video jumping off little hits etc and because there is so much going on but in fact you are actually slower.

The Bandit was more gravity focused but very capable else where. It felt like a bike that was made by guys who loved DH, enduro and railing s*it. It was pretty simple. The Smuggler feels a bit like it was made by those guys who were trying to make a more 'bike industry' bike and become a bit more grown up.
    Nice Review and comparison between old and new bike .... BUT, I personally do not believe what you feel when riding the smuggler.
    I come from many Enduro bikes and my last one was a Carver IBC with up to 170mm rear Wheel travel. A hell of a machine when it gets wild. Now I am on a Smuggler (for sure) with following modifications:
    - 140 mm Travel (coil with Fast Suspension)
    - Damper: Marzocchi 053 (SAG: 25%)
    - Head angle ab 66Degree with Workscomponents head set

So overall my Smuggler is more optimized for downhill perfermance - and I totally love how it handles and how it eats up even bigger stuff!!! On 95% of my trails I am faster than with my former bike (the IBC). Only when it gets really wild I have to lower the Speed to avoid any unexpected handling Situation. But that only happens in the alps.

One huge improvement was to set the former Monarch damper up to 4 (or was it 5) rings inside. Together with reducing the SAG to 30% the traction on the rear wheel felt much more ready for also bigger impacts than before. Probably you should try the same just to see if this fits you style more than the suggested setup from Transition.
    Now with the Marzocchi it just got better
    I am really interested if you can update your Smuggler to be a better bike than your Bandit.

...In the meantime.
    So I had a quiet day in the shop today so I experimented with a B+ combo on my 2016 Smuggler. Fork is a DVO Diamond 29 (not boost) set at 140m. BB height with 29" wheels is just under 13.5". I installed my B+ wheelset just to get some idea of how much BB height I would lose and tire clearance. B+ wheels are built on WTB Asymi35 rims, running a Maxxis highroller 27.5x2.8 in the front, with a Rekon 27.5x2.8 in the rear. I aired the tires to 20 PSI each. The BB height dropped to 13" with this wheelset. The front tire clears the Diamond with plenty of room almost 3/8" on either side of the knobs. The rear tire clears the seatstay and bridge with room to spare, but it gets tight in the chainstay area around the sidewall and is almost rubbing the chainstay protector. My thoughts are if I extended the fork to 150mm and maybe trimmed the chainstay protector this would be a pretty viable option. Extending the fork would hopefully bring the BB up a few fractions of an inch and alleviate some of the crank-strikes in rock terrain.

Sorry no pictures...I didn't think to take any.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilBkr View Post
    Extending the fork would hopefully bring the BB up a few fractions of an inch and alleviate some of the crank-strikes in rock terrain.

Sorry no pictures...I didn't think to take any.
    Keep in mind with lower pressure B+ rubber your BB will be lower due to more tire sag/drop than a skinnier 29er tire at 13" BB height.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

...In the meantime.
    I've definitely considered that. I should have added that to my post thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    even if it does rub a bit on occasion, is it any big deal? i would think a bit of rub is no big deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Question for Smuggler owners - how do you rate the Smuggler for distance riding? Coming from riding downhill, I bought a Scout a couple of years ago and got into doing more and more XC and trail riding. Last year I did a few XC events (part of a 4 man team for a 12 hour XC race, took part in a 2 day 60km/38 mile per day event). Next year I want to do a few more of these events. I'm finding it a bit of a hassle to switch the Scout between enduro build and XC build so I'm looking at an ex-demo Smuggler with the plan to make it my new XC bike.

Is the Smuggler a decent bike for longer days or should I be looking at an XC bike? I like the idea of the Smuggler as I do still love the descents and the rowdier the better, but I need something that is happy to spin along singletrack and climb for extended periods as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    you kinda answered your question. it's a great all arounder, the big wheels aid stability making for an energy efficient ride on long hauls. it's essentially a bit of a light all mtn bike making it great for epic rides. i use the compression lever all the time. set to firm (which as everyone knows is far from a lockout on the monarch) it's a great climber. it's the quintessential 'mountain bike', good at most things, very good. but neither is it a Patrol going down, nor a RM Element going up, dig?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I do 50 mile rides on the smuggler and it's fine. I would rate its pedaling as average from a distance perspective, and pretty good for technical climbs. My wife has been shopping for a 29er for a while and settled on a Kona Hei Hei. That thing is a rocket ship when you get on the gas. I was pretty skeptical of the flex stay business, but it works well. Rails corners pretty good too, but the stays are a little short for my liking, I prefer over 17" stays for stability on the downs.

mxl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I agree with cunningstunts, Smuggler is a compromise, a very wide one. I have no problem to ride about 70km (1500m+) in a dayin my tuscany hills or 30km in the Alps with 2000m+, the smuggler is havier to pedal confronting to a pure xc bike, but descends a lot better.
    The thing that was unespected for me is how confortable is this bike, it's like to have a pillow down there

iij
    k
    here's a pic of my smuggler from last weekends riding for your enjoyment!

Smuggler-l1040658.jpg

mtbr member
    I see some purple wheel decals in your future.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    here's my 2016 Smuggler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-20161211_113259-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Anyone having bearing issues? My original set only last 2 months before seizing up. Transition sent me a set of enduro max bearings, and six months later they are getting notchy. No pressure washer, its been dry and dusty most of the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    mine lasted about 16 months. yr round riding, PNW, lots of hosing. main pivot seized, others ok.

mxl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhbrooks View Post
    Anyone having bearing issues? My original set only last 2 months before seizing up. Transition sent me a set of enduro max bearings, and six months later they are getting notchy. No pressure washer, its been dry and dusty most of the time.
    After 1000 km no problem so far.
    Ks Lev instead I (warranty) serviced 3 times.

SoCal mtbr
    Hi guys,

I've been riding a Niner RIP9 for the last 8yrs and finally moving onto a Smuggler. I'm hopping to have her built up within the next couple of weeks. Just waiting on some small parts. I'm 5'5" riding a size small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-img_2147.jpg  

Instagram: @steven_bikes

2016 Transition Smuggler aka The Honey Badger

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So after riding my riot, my buddy wanted alittle more travel and an upgrade on his smuggler. We installed some custom offset bushings to return the bike back to factory bb height and running a 200 x 57 shock w/ ardent rear tire with no clearance issues. Next step is -.5 or -1 headset to get exact geometry back with head tube angle. Way more supple off the top and seems to be more plush. More tuning going to go on the cane creek db air but are also going to try and run a rockshox debonair plus as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-smuggler-travel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Makarmtb View Post
    So after riding my riot, my buddy wanted alittle more travel and an upgrade on his smuggler. We installed some custom offset bushings to return the bike back to factory bb height and running a 200 x 57 shock w/ ardent rear tire with no clearance issues. Next step is -.5 or -1 headset to get exact geometry back with head tube angle. Way more supple off the top and seems to be more plush. More tuning going to go on the cane creek db air but are also going to try and run a rockshox debonair plus as well.
    That Sounds Interesting. Please keep us updated. What size does the ardent have? No contact while fully compressing with the seatdome?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arashi View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been riding a Niner RIP9 for the last 8yrs and finally moving onto a Smuggler. I'm hopping to have her built up within the next couple of weeks. Just waiting on some small parts. I'm 5'5" riding a size small.

I made the same move myself from an XL rip 9 to an XL smuggler. I love this bike! The CVA suspension on the niner maybe pedals a tiny bit better on the uphill but the steeper seat tube on the transition more than makes up for that in comfort and the small bump compliance was horrible on the niner. The transition is so plush. I'm faster, more confident, and better connected to the trail on the smuggler. Definitely go with a shorter stem, smuggler was designed for it. And most importantly, the fun factor is not even close... The Smuggler is a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just ordered my Smuggler Frame, Lime Green, Large!

Coming from a Niner RIP 9 and On-One Codeine 29. Should have it built up by the weekend and can't wait...won't be able to ride it anytime soon with the amount of snow we've had but making a trip to Southern Utah soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by utmb59 View Post
    Happy new year and new bike!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hello everybody.

new to this forum. i am in the proces of building up a smuggler frame.
    A want to build it up with a 140mm pike. Which offset do you recommend?
    The complete build from transition are 130 mm forks whit 51mm offset.
    Going to 140mm makes the head angle a little slacker. Would is be a good idea
    to correct this whit a 46mm offset? or just go to 140mm and 51mm offset to make
    the bike more stable at higher speeds?

grst dennis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fassie View Post
    Hello everybody.

new to this forum. i am in the proces of building up a smuggler frame.
    A want to build it up with a 140mm pike. Which offset do you recommend?
    The complete build from transition are 130 mm forks whit 51mm offset.
    Going to 140mm makes the head angle a little slacker. Would is be a good idea
    to correct this whit a 46mm offset? or just go to 140mm and 51mm offset to make
    the bike more stable at higher speeds?

grst dennis
    longer offset or "rake" in the pic below (ie 51mm) = shorter trail = less rider "input" is needed to change directions at slower speeds. you can think of shorter trail as improving slow speed handling, at expense of high speed stability.

shorter offset (ie 46mm) = longer trail = more rider input is required to change directions at slower speeds, but improves high speed stability.

so if you increase fork length by 10mm, by choosing 140mm travel fork over 130mm travel fork, then you will increase trail a slight amount.

if your goal is to counteract the increased trail (created by the slacker head angle from a longer fork), then choose a fork with longer 51mm offset or rake, which will reduce trail and make it feel easier to steer the bike at slower speeds. but if you want "more stability at higher speed" (as you wrote), then stick to the longer fork + the shorter offset.

does that make sense?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1423
Size:  65.6 KB
    Last edited by slo_rider; 01-14-2017 at 11:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would use the same 51mm offset as the change from 130 to 140mm up front won't change the bike handling dramatically. That is if you do not like the bike handling with 130mm fork which for me is exceptional. From single track to bike park to climbing, it's a really fine tuned rig. Only change I made was wider bars and 45mm stem, rest is stock.
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    51 offset ! My buddy runs his at 140 and the 51 offset works well. The bike handles incredibly well in corners.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    Yep great review. I'll add some thoughts as i now have a couple of rides on my 2015 Smuggler 2. I came from a 2015 Kona Process 153 that I rode for almost 2 years.

The feel and geometry of the smuggler is pretty dialed, but the medium Kona fit me like a glove. I'm 5'10" and running a 45mm stem and 760mm bars on my transition. Planning on going to a 50mm stem and 780mm bars soon. The smuggler feels a bit more cramped than the Kona but still very comfortable. I went with a medium instead of a large and think it was a good call. On the kona I felt more in the bike and smuggler feels like i'm a little more on top, but not in a bad way. Overall they both feel really good.

The smuggler climbs better (duh). On one of my local climbs that is about 1 hour of mostly single track and some steep fire road (tiger mt, washington) I beat my climb times compared to the kona, and i am actually running a bigger chainring- 32t vs 30t with a 10-42 cassette. The smuggler was very smooth and more responsive even for having bigger wheels. The kona is not known for climbing but it did fine going up, more of a plodding climb vs the smuggler felt smoother and faster.

Trail riding- tough to call one better than the other here. The kona was fairly plush and had a lot more travel. I never really felt like it totally ate up the trail but man could that bike rail turns, big time. I rode it at whistler, north star tahoe, whitefish bike park and it really really ripped. Was a good jumper but never felt super poppy. Perhaps with lighter wheels than stock it would have made it feel a little better. I struggled with selling it because it was so awesome downhill but I wanted more of an all around bike since I only do lift stuff 1-2 times a year.

The smuggler coming down Tiger mountain was sick. Really really sick. I was a bit worried how it would handle with a lot less travel but I was immediately grinning one minute into the descent. The bigger wheels roll so good and the grip was tremendous (running tubeless minions). It wanted to jump just as much or more than the Kona. Never felt like i needed more travel but I would be a little hesitant to take the smuggler to the bike park, I will probably do it anyway and stick to flow trails since I don't plan on buying a DH bike. The times compared to my Kona were almost identical and with a little more time getting used to it it may acutally be faster. These are not overly technical trails but they do have plenty of off camber roots and rock gardens. I am going to hit some more DH type stuff if it ever dries out around here (seattle).

My smuggler has stock heavy wheels and a 1x10 deore drivetrain with a 42t cog so those are my main upgrades coming over the winter. Looking to go XT or SLX 1x11 and grab some lighter wheels. Both the Kona and Smuggler have the Pike RC fork and monarch debonair shock, the kona had the piggyback version.

I'm from Washington and am wondering what descending trails you're basing your review on? Predator? OTG? ETS/Preston? I'm particularly curious how it did on Predator. Predator's personality has gotten more gnarly over the year and got out of my comfort zone when I rode it last year. I rode it fine a couple times shortly after it opened. Did you think it was enough bike? Is it enough bike for learning the bigger lines at Duthie? I can clean all of HLC, but I've yet to do anything after the Rooster Booster on Semper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike9699 View Post
    Stoked to hear a ride report. I am on the fence between this bike and a Banshee Phantom, both with the intention of running plus through the shoulder season, and 29er in the summer (or plus all year round).
    So the wheels I built for my Smuggler use WTB ASYM rims and the lateral stiffness is great. I only have about 5mm clearance on the rear with the WTB Ranger tires but I am still to see the tires touching the frame or fork. I have since installed a NN 2.8 up front, good clearance in the pike with the side knobs close to 2.8.

Riding it... did a fat bike race recently and I think I feel the lower BB but it's hard having snow banks on the sides of the single track. I could probably get used to it especially if I run SPD peals with their lower profile. Anyway, I have the 2016 Smuggler stock config here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PftCOOY-CA
    And the bike with currect Plus tires is in the first seconds of this GoPro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyN0HVoVFMY

Just like you I will most probably stick with the two wheel sizes depending on the season/ conditions.
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Seems to me like riding a plus bike in the snow isnt a very meaningful way to assess bb clearance. Sinking into the snow is definitely going to change clearance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well it's all the testing that can be done in Canada in winter, still relevant as I did not feel that it changed the bike dramatically. And no sinking that day, packed snow.
    Lower BB is a given as the Plus wheels diameter is less than 29er diameter, we're talking 10-12mm drop.
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

knobby noob
    Slapped on some bright cheery decals, thanks to Slik... just in time for the Lunar New Year.

Smuggler-16252225_10154253709565980_7858786037717478610_o.jpg
    2012 Giant Trance X1 (gone)
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

mtbr member
    Has anyone found a matching touch up paint for the 2015 turquoise color?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Coming from a Niner RIP 9 and On-One Codeine 29. Should have it built up by the weekend and can't wait...won't be able to ride it anytime soon with the amount of snow we've had but making a trip to Southern Utah soon.
    Smuggler-transition-smuggler.jpg

Finally got my new frame built up, as you can see, too much snow to ride it but planning a trip soon.

Rockshox Pike, 140mm
    Fox Transfer Dropper Post, 150mm
    Full XT M8000 Build with Race Face Cranks.
    Spank Oozy 295 rims laced to i9 hubs.

New pedals and bars/stem are in the near future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath_2 View Post
    Has anyone found a matching touch up paint for the 2015 turquoise color?
    That's a good call... especially after I found out that white men can't jump double ups on a smuggler while actually thinking about something totally different than where I should be landing!.

SoCal mtbr
    Finally got her built up and had a handful of rides. The Smuggler is just significantly better than the 2009 Niner RIP9 I was on. Going from 70.5 degrees head angle to 67 degrees was such a huge improvement on the steep downhill! I'm running a 140mm fork so I'm assuming it's 67 since the stock Smuggler build is 67.5 with a 130mm fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-img_2531.jpg  

Smuggler-img_2530.jpg  

mtbr member
    that's a good looking bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For folks that have ridden the Smuggler with both a 130mm and 140mm fork, can you comment on how it rides with the 140mm relative to the 130mm? Is the front end too high, wheelbase too long, etc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

smuggler

Well joined the club today. Been on many of bikes kona 111, ripley, troy carbon, remedy, canfield riot, and now onto the smuggler.

I will say it is the best handling and playful bike i've owned hands down !

Smuggler-smuggler3.jpgSmuggler-smuggler2.jpgSmuggler-smuggler1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SCbos View Post
    For folks that have ridden the Smuggler with both a 130mm and 140mm fork, can you comment on how it rides with the 140mm relative to the 130mm? Is the front end too high, wheelbase too long, etc?
    I rode my Smuggler with 130mm, 140mm and 150mm. Right now my setup is on 150mm. Mostly because of the low stack - i am about 7,2 feet tall so for me the stack feels pretty low. With 130mm the bike surely is more agile and playful. With 150mm it offers more safety in steep terrain and fast dh tracks. Its all up to your range of use and personal preference i guess.

Smuggler-2881150-large.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Well joined the club today. Been on many of bikes kona 111, ripley, troy carbon, remedy, canfield riot, and now onto the smuggler.

Name:	smuggler3.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	1119775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smuggler2.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1119774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smuggler1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	1119773
    Repping Hubsessed, love it. Dusty is a great dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Very interested to hear any Smuggler vs Riot comparisons. I'm on a Riot and love it, but am always catching myself thinking about the Smuggler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So i have ridden both fair amount i would say. I would have to know your riding style, place of riding, and what you enjoy the most about the trail to make a good recommendation.

Smuggler :
    + Way more fun to ride through the whole ride.
    + Way better at handling corners
    + Alot more stable at high speed unless chunky.
    + Way more pedal efficient
    - Shock selection
    - You know its 115mm when sending a jump without landing on a lander. or flat
    - skippy when it gets very chunky.

Riot :
    +eat up the chunk
    +super smooth suspension travel with no real feedback
    +Can land to flat and still be ok.
    +traction
    +handles tight corners and switch backs with ease from short chainstays
    - Feels like your high in the air at lower speeds due to high bb in my opinion
    - If you loose your momentum on climbs your legs suffer
    - short chainstays at high speeds makes the bike somewhat jittery (hard to describe)
    - WEIGHT ! when riding quick and steady with a group of buddies.

I live where you pedal equal ups to equal downs. If i lived in the mountains were i could ride a fire road up and blast downs i think the riot would have been kept but for the most part i go out with atleast one friend every ride and we tend to either stay steady at speed or hot lap sections. This results in fast pace climbs and descents which left me smoked and no longer having fun half the ride on my riot.

The smuggler does have its short comings due to travel at times but for 90% of every ride it is more enjoyable then my riot.

In my opinion a 140 / 130 or 140/140 efficient (carbon remedy) bike with 17-17.2" chainstays, 67 roughly degree head angle, and a seat tube roughly 75 degrees would be the ultimate trail bike.

I think suspension platform like the giddy up or the trek design are my favorites as it gives a decent pedal platform as well as a good descent.

Now back to the smuggler : Lets get this thread more active !
    Last edited by Makarmtb; 02-11-2017 at 02:50 PM.

SoCal mtbr

In my opinion a 140 / 130 or 140/140 efficient (carbon remedy) bike with 17-17.2" chainstays, 76 roughly degree head angle, and a seat tube roughly 75 degrees would be the ultimate trail bike.
    Did you mean 67 degree head angle? I'd die if I rode a bike with a 76 degree head angle lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    yes sorry ! haha typing to fast !

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    That's a good comparison of the smuggler and riot. I keep thinking my smuggler needs a stable mate, but it's a tough choice considering the smuggler is so well rounded for me (midwest riding with trips to Arkansas and Colorado). I would like to ride a patrol considering I dig transitions suspension and fit. Other 29ers seem redundant unless you get into trek slash or E29 territory. A scout also seems like a rowdy good time but maybe too close to the smug. Choices man....

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Here's mine just for fun.

140mm pike
    Swapped to 170mm XO1 cranks with a 32t
    Xx1 cassette and xo1 shifting
    Guide rs brakes x 180mm f/r
    150mm reverb
    Derby AM rims x DT 350 hubs x DT comp spokes
    Chromag BZA cockpit
    31 lbs with flat pedals

Smuggler-20160928_115826.jpg

Smuggler-20170111_140156.jpg

Smuggler-20161125_103230.jpg

I gotta pee

Here's my new whip
    2016 Smuggler L
    Stans hoops, king hubs
    Enve bars
    Thomson stem and dropper
    Race Face Next SL cranks 170mm
    28t ring
    Xt shifting and cassette
    Fox 34 Factory fork with stealth graphics

Only had one ride on it so far but im loving it to say the least

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Repping Hubsessed, love it. Dusty is a great dude.
    Agreed

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Name:	smuggler3.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	1119775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smuggler2.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1119774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smuggler1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	1119773

Well ended up with a new evil insurgent so i need to sell it.
    Anyone wanting a medium smuggler let me know

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Managed to pop the monarch on my Smuggler, air shaft is worn and I'd rather buy a new shock than repairing the current one.

On my Reign I've fitted an X2, as the monarch was holding the bike back. What shocks are people running as an alternate to the monarch?

Looking at:
    -Fox DPS factory
    -Cane Creek Double Barrel CS (Inline is still too new and I'm wary based on the previous failures of inlines)
    -Any others

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Debonair all day mate ;]

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I would try Manitou Mcleod. Check out the thread in Shocks & suspension forum - people seem to like it

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i can't seem to find smuggler frames for sale anywhere in north america (no one within driving distance from me carries them). any leads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    i can't seem to find smuggler frames for sale anywhere in north america (no one within driving distance from me carries them). any leads?
    Call Transition directly at (360) 366-4960
    Their "Look up Local Dealer" page used to recommend calling them directly if no LBS near you had them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Today was the maiden voyage of my Smuggler.

After breaking my carbon frame (again), I decided to go back to alloy frames. Looked at many bikes, final decision was between Smuggler and Banshee Phantom. I liked the looks of Phantom, but pedalling performance of the Smuggler was better. There are no Phantoms or Smugglers to demo where I live, but I found a bike shop in Uppsala, Sweden - Velotek (Hem - Velotek) that sells Transition bikes. Neil was so kind and arranged an XL Smuggler for demo, so I made short trip to Sweden to try it. Despite the 5cm of fresh, wet snow the bike felt good on trail, so I ordered it. About two weeks later I got the frame by post.

Weight of the naked frame was 3,13kg - about 1,3kg heavier than my last carbon frame. With shock and rear axle it was 3,58kg.

I transferred some parts from my old bike: brakes, crank, seatpost, saddle, wheels. Changed the 2x10 drivetrain to 1x11 and got new longer fork.

Fork is Manitou Magnum Pro 27,5+ fork. It serves as 29" fork and takes tyres up to 2.4". It is fantastic fork - very tuneable: main air pressure, IRT air pressure, rebound, LSC, HSC, hydraulic bottom out. Travel can be changed from 80 to 140mm. And it's not expensive. I changed the original white and red decals to silver ones to match the Transition logos on frame. Front wheel has XT hub, WTB KOM i23 rim, Sapim D-Light spokes and Continental X-King Protection 2.4 tyre.

I used old Shimano XT 2x10 crank with Absoluteblack 28t oval chainring on granny position. Chainline is about 46mm - in the middle of cassette. Old Time Atac XC12 pedals.

70mm Ritchey WCS C220 stem and some random 740mm wide riser bars. XTR shifter, old XT brake levers and ESI grips. Handlebar seemed to be in right place. I might try to lower it little bit.

XT derailleur and Sunrace 11-46 cassette. I was mostly using the small sprockets, top speed on the pavement was around 30km/h. On the trail the chain was mostly in the middle of cassette. I might try 30t chainring latter. Rear wheel has DT Swiss 350 hub with 54t ratchet, Spank Oozy Trail 295 rim, Sapim D-Light spokes and Bontrager XR2 2.35 tyre.

All in all I'm happy with the bike. Total weight is 13.7kg. It is more manouverable than my old bike, despite the longer wheelbase and reach.

Saddle is Specialized Phenom and seatpost is Reverb 125mm with short body. It's just 15mm past the minimum insertion mark, but Transition confirmed that this is ok for the frame.

I was little worried that I must get setback seatpost because of the steeper seattube compared to my old bike. The head of the seatpost was 20mm forward compared to the old bike, but somehow I still felt comfortable on the bike.

I will retune the shock when my main test trail dries and I can test the bike on rooty and bumpy track. My old bike had similar leverage ratio and also Monarch Debonair RT3 shock. It needed more high speed rebound damping and less platform on main compression stack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

XL fit

Also considering a smuggler? Was worried about ST and fit. I am 6'5" with 35" inseem. How tall are you and how does it fit? Thanks. Jeff

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Smuggler-camel-pass.jpg6'5" (196cm), 37" inseam. xl Smuggler, 2015. fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    Also considering a smuggler? Was worried about ST and fit. I am 6'5" with 35" inseem. How tall are you and how does it fit? Thanks. Jeff
    I'm 6'3", also 35" inseem and very long hands. I have had one demo ride (60mm stem, 20mm spacers under stem, 800mm very low rise handlebars with 9deg bend) and one ride with my own bike (70mm stem, 28mm spacers under stem, 740mm little bit higher rise handlebars with 12deg bend). Both bikes felt good, no pain or numbness in hands. It was easy to rise the front wheel and it turned nicely. The head of the straight seatpost is 205mm back from the bottom bracket at 780mm elevation - this is where I have my saddle, centered on the rails. I used to have saddle more back but it felt good also this way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CWnSWCO View Post
    Call Transition directly at (360) 366-4960
    Their "Look up Local Dealer" page used to recommend calling them directly if no LBS near you had them.
    I'll second this. I've purchased two bikes directly from Transition in the past 3 years and they were happy to ship them directly to my doorstep since there were no dealers in my area. Worked out great, had to wait for inventory to come in for XL sizes on each of them, but they were at Transition within a day or two of their predicted ship date and at my doorstep within a day of original expectation. Was a very smooth process when considering how small of an operation Transition is overall and how small companies can sometimes be at the mercy of shipping issues due to their lower volume business in general.

Working with the folks at Transition directly is a great experience as well as you really get a sense of the passion they have for MTB'ing and wanting to get great bikes in MTB'ers hands.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Alright folks, for those of you having a Pike RC on your Smuggler I have to tell you that the Luftkappe mod (air spring mod) on the fork balances the suspension F/R in a great way. If you like the RS Debonair small bump compliance in the rear you know how the Pike RC up front feels quite a bit stiffer and definitely not as plush right off the top. With the mod I feel them the same, just great with good mid stroke support. Still have it at 130mm
    Between frost and muddy trails I am still to do any serious trail riding on the bike but the early testing around town feel amazing. BTW don't work for Vorsprung Suspension and this is what I'm talking about, it adds more volume to the neg air chamber
    Smuggler-img_7768.jpg
    Last edited by mevnet; 03-24-2017 at 06:09 AM.
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey everyone, i have a Stealth Black Smuggler on the way!! I usually build up a frame with my own components, but this time it worked out better for me to get a build kit. I got build kit 3 and it comes with race face AR 27 wheels. My intentions are to replace them as soon as possible but I'm probably going to ride them for the time being. Can you at least run them tubeless? I can't really find much info on them. Do they hold up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The AR 27s are pretty decent. The hold up tubeless quite well. They are the same as the easton ARC 27, except they are sleeved. Nice profile with maxxis 2.3 or 2.5s.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks man, good to know, seems like the hubs (sram mth 746) might be worth switching as I'm reading they are complete crap? Why would TR and Santa Cruz use them on so many builds? Has anyone had any luck with them?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The hubs are okay, nothing special but not terrible. They are easy enough to service but the bearing life is hit or miss. Engagement is around 20 degrees I think.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Okay cool, I'll just run em' and hope for the best!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anyone running 160mm fork on the Smuggler?

Think KrunkShox only runs a 150mm in the EWS but maybe 160 would also be doable without ruining handling?

iij
    k
    i run a 140mm fork(46mm offset), with a -1 degree angleset, which should be approximate the same HA as running a 160mm fork, and I love it! it suits my riding style, I tend to load the front end of the bike quite heavily.

it makes the bike a bit more 'sluggish', and a bit more prone to wheelie'ing on steep climbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ive been running a Fox Talas 36MM 130/160 in 160 mode from day 1 on the bike. We ride insanely technical up/down trails and i love it at 160. If you are coming from a twitch XC set up, it might take some time to get a customer but the benefits far out weigh the difficulty to adjust riding style. Thing still climbs like a goat and turns well in tight technical turns. The other benefit of the 160 setup is the higher bottom bracket that which has makes a huge difference in pedal/crank strikes.

Look at the time!
    Just got my 2016 Smuggler yesterday. My first 29er and my first trail bike in 6 years, after only owning a downhill bike for that time.

After being out of the loop for such a long time, I had no idea what I wanted, so I went to a Kona demo day and rode all their current offerings in 27.5 and 29. Out of their fleet, I loved the Process 111 more than anything else, by a mile. So I started looking in that direction and ended up at the Smuggler. The ride is as close to identical as it can be imo, but the Smuggler doesn't bob as much uphill, and it comes with a better thought out set of components for the money, especially comparing 2016 models.

Mine is "only" a 4, but aside from the short KS seat post (which the dealer swapped to a Reverb at no charge), the package works and does more than the sum of the parts.

This is my third Transition after owning a Preston FR back in 2007 (you've come a long way, guys....) and a Bank 4x hardtail in 2011 or 12. TBC knows how to put a great bike together at any price. This thing rips, up and down hill. As someone who only ever tried the earlier 29er bikes 5 or 6 years ago and hated them, I can't believe how playful a 29er can be these days, and I can't believe there's only 115mm back there.

SoCal mtbr
    I just wanted to share an update on my Smuggler. I slapped a Cane Creek DB Inline Coil last night. It felt great based on my ride around the block, very plush off the top but still poppy enough to bunny hop easily. I'll get a good 20 mile ride in today with about 1300ft of climbing and descending to get a better feel for it. I think it looks pretty sweet and only added half a pound which isn't much at all. The feel seems to match well with my RS Pike with an Avalanche cartridge.Smuggler-img_3590.jpgSmuggler-img_3597.jpgSmuggler-img_3592.jpgSmuggler-img_3593.jpgSmuggler-img_3596.jpg
    Last edited by arashi; 07-18-2017 at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    Alright folks, for those of you having a Pike RC on your Smuggler I have to tell you that the Luftkappe mod (air spring mod) on the fork balances the suspension F/R in a great way. BTW don't work for Vorsprung Suspension and this is what I'm talking about, it adds more volume to the neg air chamber

Name:	IMG_7768.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	1128232
    I'm looking to pick one of those up this month and have been looking about for reviews. I had one of their Corset Air Cans for a previous ride that had a Fox shock and that was awesome so really excited to get one of these into my Pike. Vorsprung are doing great things at the moment.

Also ordering these to slack my Tranny out a bit more (https://www.offsetbushings.com)...
    Name:  OB_2-2_800x.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  22.6 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Smuggler-tranny.jpg

Seeing as we're doing show and tell...

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Name:	Tranny.jpg 
Views:	1084 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	1136508

Seeing as we're doing show and tell...
    Beautiful! Specs!!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Went to a demo event recently and really loved the Smuggler. Was chatting with one of the guys to try and get some info on when a carbon version might be coming and he said "there may or may not be something worth waiting for towards the end of the year"

If it turns out anything like the Patrol Carbon I got a few pedals in on, it should be worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is mine. A lot of Hope parts and a Bikeyoke dropper post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-img_2002.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking good!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 441