Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Smuggler

mtbr member
    Sihik!!!

mtbr member
    looks AWESOME!!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, still waiting on my shock decal from Slick. I love this bike, no one can believe how i fell in love with a bike that was 4 pounds heavier than my tallboy but man it just rides nice.
    -2016 Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    -2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 CC
    -2016 Transition Smuggler
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

mtbr member
    For those with Pikes, how many Bottomless tokens are you running? Im bottoming out constantly and my fork feels kinda stiff still. Transition suggests running one more bottomless token for a total of 4-5 and lowering psi a bit. Would love to hear what has worked for most folks? Im 195 geared up and running 90 psi with 4 clicks away from the slowest rebound and 3 clicks of lsc dampening.
    -2016 Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    -2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 CC
    -2016 Transition Smuggler
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
    For those with Pikes, how many Bottomless tokens are you running? Im bottoming out constantly and my fork feels kinda stiff still. Transition suggests running one more bottomless token for a total of 4-5 and lowering psi a bit. Would love to hear what has worked for most folks? Im 195 geared up and running 90 psi with 4 clicks away from the slowest rebound and 3 clicks of lsc dampening.
    honestly I don't even know, I have 2015 Smuggler and am running whatever it came with, I'm 180lbs without gear and am running 80 psi with 2 clicks + rebound past center and 2 clicks lsr and it's perfect for me

also wanted to say, I'm running the 2.4 EXO TR Ardent up front and 2.3 Minion SS EXO TR out back and it's amazing!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Have someone tried a 32t oval chainring on the smuggler?
    The spec says max 32t and the 32t oval is sligthly bigger at max. Seems like it is enough space, but if some one have tried it, thats nice ;-)
    The crank is a race face turbine cinch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ^^^
    I asked Sam at Transition about this and he gave the thumbs up. I have not tested it myself, however.

Franzitioned
    Jan 2004
    How many tokens are you running pcasso87? I'm the same weight as you, and I honestly can't remember my spring psi as I change it a little bit from time to time depending on the trail, but I've got 4 tokens in there and a fair bit of LSC wound on. I think 6-7 clicks. Fork feels great. I am even considering adding a fifth token.

This may not apply to you but I think a lot of people are a little worried about running a lot of LSC, as they think it will make the fork feel slow and dead. It really won't! The high-speed damping (ie. hitting sharp bumps while moving fast) will still react as it should and keep it feeling supple. All LSC does is prop the fork up in its travel better over slow compressions, and under braking.
    Also, more of a personal thing, but try setting your rebound faster - back it off 3-4 clicks; just see how it feels.

mtbr member
    My oh so black Smuggler

2016-05-01 06.45.11 1 by Kyle, on Flickr

mtbr member
    very nice!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

...In the meantime.
    I'm running a 32t Absolute Black Elliptical Direct Mount GXP ring on my Smuggler. It clears with plenty of room to spare. I'd guess you could probably run a 34t round ring and it would clear with room.

Belgicano
    Jan 2009

2015 Teal Smuggler

Very happy with mine, and even though I built it like a tank, it doesn't ride like one.

2015 Medium Smuggler. Teal
    RS Pike RC 130mm, 4 tokens
    CCDB Air CS
    CC Angleset, -1
    Spank Spike Bearclaw stem, 50mm
    Spank Spike Race 800, 15mm rise, cut to 760mm
    Sensus Swayze grips
    Magura MT7 brakes
    Magura Storm SL rotors, 180/180
    X9 shifter, 10 speed
    X9 Type 2.1 derailleur, medium cage
    PG-1070 cassette with Wolftooth 16 and 42 cogs, 11-42
    KMC X10SL chain
    X9 crankarms, 170mm
    Wolftooth 32T direct mount chainring
    Wheels Mfg. Abec-5 BB
    Deity seatpost clamp
    RS Reverb Stealth, 150mm
    Deity Mainline saddle
    Deity T-Mac pedals
    Bitex MTR-12/MTF-15 hubs
    Sapim race and Laser spokes
    Sapim alloy polyax nipples
    Spank Subrosa 30 rims
    Schwalbe Magic Mary TSC/Rock Razor PSC tyres
    e.13 TRS+ chainguide

No idea how much it weighs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-sam_0687.jpg  

Smuggler-sam_0688.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilBkr View Post
    I'd guess you could probably run a 34t round ring and it would clear with room.
    Yep, running a 34t round ring on an xt785 double crank. Plenty of clearance.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    My build...26lbs, fun as hell

Smuggler-20150612_150313.jpg
    Smuggler-img_20150512_073509.jpg
    Smuggler-20150612_150349.jpg
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Any downsides to the smuggler?? I'm 6'4 eyeing a XL. Wishful thinking but I'd be really cool if it could replace my 6" rig.

2015 Transition Smuggler XL For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Downsides? Just one big thing - you won't stop riding it

mtbr member
    haha thanks tobiwan They looks fun as hell and I've been seeing a bunch of people in local races going towards a short travel 29er as their enduro sled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Is anyone else running a 160mm front end? I've been on this bike now for 4 months and love it for pointing downhill and its ability to climb like a goat. But after trying the 130 setting on my Fox 36mm shock, I couldn't help but keep it in the 160MM setting as the bike just gets happy! Most are riding with 140mm as I understand. Any other 160mm front ends out there?

mtbr member

You should take Transition's advice on the extra tokens. It'll let you reduce your air pressure giving you a softer top stroke and the extra 1-2 tokens (5 max in the 130 pike) will give you the added bottom out resistance you are looking for. I have 4 in mine and run 65-75 psi (190-195 riding weight) and it feels great. I am admittedly not the hardest charging rider but regardless I highly recommend experimenting with tokens, spring pressure, rebound, and LSC settings. It is easy to do and changes the character of your fork quite a bit. If you haven't seen it already check out this article. It helped me better understand the advantages of fine tuning your suspension.

Rock Shox Tuning Camp - NSMB.com

Good luck!

mtbr member

Another helpful link to Rock Shox token installation guide.

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....kens_eeu_0.pdf

Grip it and rip it.
    In all seriousness the only real downside I have found is that the mud clearance at the back isn't great, but not an issue if you ride mostly in dry conditions.

They did improve it with the 16 model, but still clogs up quite quickly in heavy mud.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

Grip it and rip it.
    Most are riding with 140mm as I understand.
    It comes stock with a 130.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    '15 smuggler incoming. Can anyone make me some recommendations for some light weight wheels?. I know light weight doesn't come cheap and I'm thinking alluminum too to relfect cost. I really haven't looked around but maybe max budget is $400 for both front and back. Does $400 that seem reasonable or am I tripping?
    Last edited by slimphatty; 05-23-2016 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    '15 smuggler incoming. Can anyone make me some recommendations for some light weight wheels?. I know light weight doesn't come cheap and I'm thinking alluminum too to relfect cost. I really haven't looked around but maybe max budget is $400 for both front and back. Does $400 that seem reasonable or am I tripping?

I put $900 into a light bicycle set of enduro 35mm OD / 30mm ID 32 hole rims with hope pro 2 evo's and dt swiss spokes and nipples and they have been awesome. Six months in and they are still perfectly true and spinning fast!

I don't know of any suggestions in that budget range but I'm sure there are some here that will!

Seriously, if you can save some cash and go for the carbon rims do it. I didn't know alloy rims flexed until the first ride on the carbon rims!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    "Light" is relative, and dunno what you consider light, how much you weigh, where you ride, your riding style, blah blah. And like the saying goes, light, strong, cheap--pick two...

Anyway, a buddy has been pretty happy w/ his Novatec Diablo 29 wheels that he rode all last season to replace the pair of stock Roval wheels he destroyed on his E29. He says they've been holding up well, and he's a big guy (200+ lbs) who races hard. FWIW, they're not XC light at just over 2000g for the set (claimed weight), but you can find a new pair online for under $450.

If you're handy (and ambitious), you might consider building up your own sub-2000g wheelset for around $400+. I've got no affiliation with Bikehubstore, but I'm gonna build my own wheels, so BHS could be your one stop shop for hubs, rims, spokes, nipples, tools, and Roger Musson's $14 bible for building wheels:
    • BHS / Bitex thru axle hubset (180g front, 270g rear, $145-175)
    • Sapim D-light spokes ($96 for 64 spokes)
    • Brass nipples (~$13 for 64 nipples)
    • Washers (~$12 for 80)
    • Alloy 29er rims from Stans, Pacenti, Ryde, Velocity, and Kinlin (from ~$80 for a pair of Kinlins to $220 for a pair of Velocity Blunt 35s)

And if you'd rather just pay for handbuilt wheels, BHS will build you a set at $60 per wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Smuggler is a bike designed to be ridden aggressively.. to me this means that the wheels need to be stiff and strong primarily, lightweight should be proportionate to how much money you are willing to throw at it (as mentioned, pick 2).

For your budget, focus on stiff/strong.

Also don't go too wide in the rear.

My initial build was Nextie carbon 35mm ID front and rear. Because tire clearance is tight in the rear of the '15 the 35mm was overkill because tires that profile up well on these rims generally don't fit. After blowing up my rear wheel, Nextie replaced the rim with a 28mm ID and I think its a better fit.

I also second the recommendation of BHS hubs... I've done 3 builds with them and they have been perfect, I see no reason to spend more on hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Curious as to how you blew up your rear carbon rim. I ask because I've been back and forth on Chinese carbon rims, specifically LB or Nextie. Thanks.
    Came of a drop at high speed during a night ride a little sideways and clipped a boulder at a weird angle... basically all rocks where I ride. Boom. It just happens around here eventually with carbon if you ride hard (sloppy) and weight 200lbs.

Nextie was fantastic. They apologized and replaced the rim with the model of my choosing no questions asked for the cost of shipping.

mtbr member
    I am suprised how nice Easton Arc 30's feel (30mm inner, 34mm OD). I run Nextie carbon rims on my hardtail and I am completely in love with the feel of carbon rims, so I was a bit hesitant going back to alloy. Seems like one of the lightest wide alloy options as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-phq1peawm9mf3nwui3b4quyzkdahb63cd2uio4ybz00-2048x1365.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    how would you describe the difference in ride feel between your carbon and alloy rims? i saw this video a while back and it's quite interesting. this wheel builder says the alloy rims are 'luxury' in that they deliver a more comfortable ride. carbon rims are harsher and more direct for the most aggressive riders who are racing. he seems like a guy who knows stuff. what do you think?
    https://dirtmountainbike.com/feature...need-them.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    how would you describe the difference in ride feel between your carbon and alloy rims? i saw this video a while back and it's quite interesting. this wheel builder says the alloy rims are 'luxury' in that they deliver a more comfortable ride. carbon rims are harsher and more direct for the most aggressive riders who are racing. he seems like a guy who knows stuff. what do you think?
    when I switched from the wheels that came with my complete bike '15 smuggler 1, wtb i25 team (or something like that) to Light Bicycle 35mm OD / 30mm ID rims (32 hole, hope pro2 evo hubs, dt swiss nipples and spokes) I learned that alloy wheels flexed. I had no idea until I rode the carbon wheels and noticed their stiffness immediately. On a FS bike I preferred the feel of the stiff carbon wheels with proper suspension set up than how it felt on the alloy rims. ymmv!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Still thinking about the Smuggler.

I've got an E29 for rougher riding, and I also have a 26" Enduro bike. I'm looking for an all-round 29er trail bike for everyday riding. It will not see any racing, and will specifically be my go-to trail bike for less rough rides and in the wet season.

The most important trait I am looking for is "pop". I want a bike to hop off anything I can find, a bike that likes to switch lines quickly and with fun.

I enjoy FSR for its small bump compliance and for being playful and poppy on the descents, and I don't have any issues with its climbing performance. A few other suspension designs I've ridding offer more in the pedaling department, but feel a lot less lively to me – I'd go for a lively, poppy design any day, even if it means losing a little on the climbs.

My home trails have a few drops and jumps, and some of them are into flat. I regularly use most travel on my other bikes.

So I basically have two questions:

1) Is the Smuggler a "poppy" bike, suspension-wise, i.e. FSR-like?

2) Are the Smuggler's 115mm enough to handle smaller jumps and drops into flat?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    easily. it is FSR for starters. the short travel makes it quite poppy and it can be tuned a bit more or less as well with the rear shock via rebound and rubber bands. any bike can handle small drops and jumps though. i take it you've read the reviews eh, it's a fantastic all rounder with capabilities to the rougher side of trail riding. look where those guys are from.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks. I knew the question would draw eyebrows, but going 155mm to 115mm in the rear on a 29er is not a small step.

I think suspension design has really come a long way and we're happy to have plenty of great bikes to choose from. I knew it shares the Horst Link, but compared to FSR, a Norco (also Horst Link) felt less lively to me, with little pop, so two Horst Links can ride fairly differently.

A lot of the reviews focus on capabilities, but many do not point out the characteristics / style of suspension (or you don't know what they compare it to). Some suspension designs offer great traction, but at the loss of pop and liveliness – I'd not want to go that route.

Dnn
    mtbr member
    Quite some heavy suspension change on this smuggler:
    Fastest bikes at GoPro Mountain Games Enduro - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    In general I agree with that. When I went to carbon rims it was eye opening. They felt so stiff and responsive compared to the aluminum rims I had ran in the past. I swore I'd only ride carbon rims. What made me try alloy rims again, besides saving a lot of money, was I had a rim break deep in the back country last summer. I got lucky, the wheel was still holding air and I was able to ride out carefully. The wheel was still true when it went to the shop so maybe it was just a fluke. But I don't want that to happen again and the Smuggler is going to be my main choice for back country riding.

The ARC's have felt really nice so far. Not quite as fast feeling as the carbon, but they feel stiffer and lighter than any alloy rim I have used so far. They are a bit more supple feeling than the carbon but not as flexy feeling as I now realize some of my older wheelsets were. They are the most carbon like? alloy wheels I have used. I have them paired with pro4's and dt super comp spokes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post

What tire and size are you running in the rear and how is clearance? Thanks.
    I am running a 2.25 WTB Trail Boss. Clearance is fairly close at the seat stay bridge but perfectly fine everywhere else. I had the Trail Boss in 2.4 on the back at first but I didn't like the look of the clearance. The 2.25 doesn't seem much further away from that bridge than the 2.4 was, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far. There has been no rubbing or crud jamming in there so far. Liking the trail boss a lot for my local riding so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    once again, my smuggler with some updates. HA now 64.6, the Pike has 150 again.
    Last edited by flowbike; 07-09-2016 at 04:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    anyone know where a Lrg Smuggler 3 in orange might be ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    All '16's are gone, put $1000 down yesterday to order a '17

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by powdertrax View Post
    All '16's are gone, put $1000 down yesterday to order a '17
    Interesting.
    Any mention of any changes for the 17 model?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CWnSWCO View Post
    Interesting.
    Any mention of any changes for the 17 model?
    Havent heard, just know I want the Smuggler

mtbr member
    Here is my XL that I brought home a few weeks ago. I really like this bike a lot but still trying to dial in the rear suspension. Only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-smuggler.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Called the shop today to see if they'd heard anything from Transition on my 2017 Smuggler, he mentioned that they had called yesterday and that I'd have my new Smuggler before next weekend, one week before my 50th bday and I still don't even know what it looks like (website not updated).

Happy birthday to me

American Made!
    Called the shop today to see if they'd heard anything from Transition on my 2017 Smuggler, he mentioned that they had called yesterday and that I'd have my new Smuggler before next weekend, one week before my 50th bday and I still don't even know what it looks like (website not updated).

Happy birthday to me
    Nice and congrats! I actually found a 2016 frame in orange locally....wonder if I should wait for 2017?

Sent from a over priced hand held device
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracerX View Post
    Here is my XL that I brought home a few weeks ago. I really like this bike a lot but still trying to dial in the rear suspension. Only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.
    i had the rear shock basic air can service the other day. first time, probably well over due (15) just over a yr old. it's completely renewed, it's plusher and more sensitive than when new. did an epic ride tonight, the local trails are extremely technical and rooty BC coastal and the bike is incredible. i have a patrol as well and unless you are going really steep and/or very fast the smuggler is more fun and faster. an incredible trail bike.

mtbr member
    I've been looking for a 29er as my next bike and started to notice the Smuggler. Looks like it meets my needs in most ways except I'm not buying a bike with 17"+ CS. If talk of a carbon version are accurate I hope Transition takes the opportunity to tighten up the rear end of the bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    so you've made your short list easy then. there are few 29ers with stays shorter than the smuggler. search them out, eliminate the rest and you've got your short list of bikes to demo. probably 5 or less of production bikes.

mtbr member
    so you've made your short list easy then. there are few 29ers with stays shorter than the smuggler. search them out, eliminate the rest and you've got your short list of bikes to demo. probably 5 or less of production bikes.
    I've got a short list... it's pretty short at the moment since I'm waiting on Canfield to release a carbon Riot...the AL one is over 8.5lbs with shock and that's too much weight for me to buy it.

Knolly is supposed to release a 29er this year so I'm hopeful that might be a good candidate.

I'm going to demo a Pivot Switchblade next weekend.

I've had parking lot rides on the Evil and Lenz 29ers, but need a better demo. Demoing the Evil isn't hard as I live a ferry ride from Bellingham. The Lenz is a lot harder to demo. I'm headed to Moab in Oct and I may be able to swing a Lenz demo at the time.

With I-Bike around the corner I figured there will be more announcements of new 29ers soon.

Anyways as I said the Smuggler ticks a bunch of boxes. If Transition releases a carbon version with shorter CS it would definitely make the short list.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I was told by my local bike shop that I'd have my 2017 Smuggler before next weekend. We'll be taking it for its first night ride this Friday at the Glass School (PNW)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    well it showed up 2 days early, picked it up today after work, super stoked to take it out friday night

mtbr member
    **cough** ** cough** **sick day**
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

American Made!
    well it showed up 2 days early, picked it up today after work, super stoked to take it out friday night
    Pix??? I haven't done all the research for 2017 but is there a new color(s)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    yes there are new colors (gray, red, teal/black and Neon green/black), I picked up the neon green/black.

mtbr member
    yes there are new colors (gray, red, teal/black and Neon green/black), I picked up the neon green/black.
    let's see some pics!!!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My wife and I tried last night and no worky

There's only a half of a degree difference between my Honzo's head tube angle and the Smugglers, but it feels like more. Can't wait to hit the Ridge trail at the Glass S-cool, it will be my first DH on full suspension in 3 years ?

App-a-LATCH-un
    My wife and I tried last night and no worky
    Sorry bro :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I replaced my Honzo last summer with the smuggler. The Honzo convinced me I wanted my next bike to have similar geometry, but with full suspension. Even though its only .5% slacker, I think the smuggler feels more stable and is a better descender because the longer wheelbase. It's way more stable at high speed than the honzo while just being just slightly less nimble. I'm able to ride the smuggler faster through the rough, on the down and just cover ground faster. I find it just as playful as the honzo, just in a different way. I'm very happy I made the change!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
    Sorry bro :/

Set myself up for that one didnt I, Doh

App-a-LATCH-un
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfsnbrad View Post
    I replaced my Honzo last summer with the smuggler. The Honzo convinced me I wanted my next bike to have similar geometry, but with full suspension. Even though its only .5% slacker, I think the smuggler feels more stable and is a better descender because the longer wheelbase. It's way more stable at high speed than the honzo while just being just slightly less nimble. I'm able to ride the smuggler faster through the rough, on the down and just cover ground faster. I find it just as playful as the honzo, just in a different way. I'm very happy I made the change!
    One thing to consider, and not sure how each geometry is measured, but the transition is about 30% sag in rear, so that can cause a significant change in head angle. Thus feeling a lot slacker than a 0.5 degree head angle on paper.

Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ok it's official, I took my new '17 Smuggler out for its first ride last night and it rips, could not believe how much it smoothed everything out, cross trail tree roots I couldn't even feel them, climbing felt effort less, very solid setup and my best friend and 30 year riding partner said he definitely noticed my speed went up.

Glad I decided on the Smuggler, but it won't make me put the Honzo up for sale

mtbr member
    Got to "parking lot" test a Smuggler recently. Not as good as a dirt test, but given how hard it is to get my hands on bikes I am interested in I gotta take what I can get!

Some thoughts:

- rode a large which is the right size based on the geo chart
    - sitting "cockpit" size felt about right
    - bike itself felt huge...WB is ~1.5" bigger than my current ride
    - I didn't love the feel of the steep STA
    - I was disappointed by the tire clearance with a Maxxis 2.3" tire
    - frame looked well made
    - bike felt solid
    - as much as I could test the big wheels steam rolled everything I could ride over
    - great frame space for a bikepacking bag...I'd use a short travel 29er for touring

I'm going to try and get across to the mainland and dirt demo a medium Smuggler with the seat jammed all the way back to simulate a setback seatpost. I don't think I would enjoy the limo-esque WB of the large on our tight techy trails and with the saddle an inch back it would put me into a better pedalling position for climbing and riding flats.

The limited tire clearance in the rear is a deal breaker for me, but I hope when Transition puts out a carbon Smuggler they address that. I don't want to run plus tires, but the 2.3" rubber on the Smuggler I demo'd looked like a road tire compared to the 2.4" tire on my bike and I am not going back to skinny rubber. I'm still saving my pennies so I can wait until 2017 for a new ride.

It was nice to get the bike into my hands. Clearly well made and looks sharp.
    Last edited by vikb; 08-14-2016 at 08:26 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    2.3 Maxxis is pretty small, too small IMO for anything but perfect conditions. A bike like the Smuggler should have room for some real rubber, especially now when 2.5ish rubber is becoming available. Not skinny, not +, not fat, maybe just right?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    2.3 Maxxis is pretty small, too small IMO for anything but perfect conditions. A bike like the Smuggler should have room for some real rubber, especially now when 2.5ish rubber is becoming available. Not skinny, not +, not fat, maybe just right?
    My 2.4" Contis are about as big as a Maxxis DHF 2.5 tire. So if we are talking Maxxis sizing yes I definitely want room for a 2.5" tire.

Given the plus and fat tire thing going on a Maxxis 2.5" tire just ain't that big.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    2.3 DHF/DHRII on my smuggler with 30mm ID rims works great!!!

I had a 2.4 ardent on the front and it was HUGE but the DHF is the much better gripper

I def have room for the 2.5 DHF in the front, would like to try it at a bike park
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    odd that you didn't like the STA. steep angles for climbing and putting the power down are the norm on current bikes. for me they make all the difference and result in more effective and comfortable climbing. if you are strictly looking at current/future bikes you will be hard pressed to find slacker seat angles at this point. the long wheel base is something you would probably get used to and grow to like. high stability and lots of room for body english. the opposite of the old Nomad, though a lot of people still like them.

Formerly of Kent
    odd that you didn't like the STA. steep angles for climbing and putting the power down are the norm on current bikes. for me they make all the difference and result in more effective and comfortable climbing. if you are strictly looking at current/future bikes you will be hard pressed to find slacker seat angles at this point. the long wheel base is something you would probably get used to and grow to like. high stability and lots of room for body english. the opposite of the old Nomad, though a lot of people still like them.
    Steep STAs don't equate to more power.

They are an adaptation for putting you in a position to actually touch the handlebars on modern bikes with very long reach that aren't actually designed with pedaling efficiency as a primary concern.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    rear tires i've used to good effect on my 2016 smuggler with the very tight tire clearance:
    - purgatory grid (great all around, decent weight)
    - both minions. great tires, priced out of the stratosphere these days
    - HR2
    - icon 2.35. largest volume tire but with smaller knobs. tight but no issues.

i would have no interest in going bigger or heavier (ie. magic marys). i'm 205 and ride a variety of vancouver island terrain (primarily cumberland area) as well as some lower mainland and any of these tires work very well with the minions taking top spot.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Steep STAs don't equate to more power.

They are an adaptation for putting you in a position to actually touch the handlebars on modern bikes with very long reach that aren't actually designed with pedaling efficiency as a primary concern.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    This depends a lot on individual bone lengths. If I slide my saddle back too much my power and climbing suffer. Vik on the other hand is way back there, but it works well for him. The steep STA has nothing to do with reaching the bars and everything to do with getting your ass forward to climb steep pitches. Is it a good idea for everyone? No, but it works for me. A simple solution is more droppers with set back. Can't be that hard to make 2 versions of the same post.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    rear tires i've used to good effect on my 2016 smuggler with the very tight tire clearance:
    - purgatory grid (great all around, decent weight)
    - both minions. great tires, priced out of the stratosphere these days
    - HR2
    - icon 2.35. largest volume tire but with smaller knobs. tight but no issues.

i would have no interest in going bigger or heavier (ie. magic marys). i'm 205 and ride a variety of vancouver island terrain (primarily cumberland area) as well as some lower mainland and any of these tires work very well with the minions taking top spot.
    If I had never tried my Chunky Monkeys I might agree with you, but I think they're 25% better than Minions and that's without taking $ into account. My perfect tire would be a 2.5 CM, if it existed.

mtbr member
    I slide forward on my slack STA bikes for really steep seated climbs, which gives me a steep effective STA temporarily. That's like 10mins on a 3hr ride. The steep STA position doesn't feel good for me and so far I have not been able to generate power in that position as well as a slack STA bike. A 1" setback seatpost will make a "modern" bike work for me as long as I account for the added seated reach to the bars. As a benefit a setback seatpost means I'll ride 1 size smaller frame which is typically 1"+ shorter WB so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

We ride very tight forest trails locally. High speeds are not something I see very often. I am sure if I lived in the desert I'd be all over a longer WB bike.

Liking slack STAs is a personal thing I know more than one person that prefers them, but obviously a lot of people don't. That's fine with me. I'm not trying to tell anybody else what to like.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Tires are a personal preference I would have no interest in running tires as small as you do for my island riding and for my regular trips to UT/AZ. Every time I try a smaller tire than my 2.4" Contis they don't make me happy.

I've spent enough $$ on smaller tires to know they are a waste of $$...for me.

I also own a 29+ bike with 3" tires, but I don't want that size rubber for my day-to-day trail riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

American Made!
    If I had never tried my Chunky Monkeys I might agree with you, but I think they're 25% better than Minions and that's without taking $ into account. My perfect tire would be a 2.5 CM, if it existed.
    How was the CM for a back tire?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I love them front and rear. My much smaller friend who notices tire differences more than me loves em 2.

American Made!
    I love them front and rear. My much smaller friend who notices tire differences more than me loves em 2.
    Cool thank you for the quick reply!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I plan to travel to the US to buy a Smuggler, whats the price point of the entry model, can someone recommend a bikeshop or onlinestore? The closer to south the better,

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I recently purchased a large Smuggler. I'm roughly 5'11, with a 32" inseam. I've noticed climbing out of saddle I have a lot of traction issues.

I'm wondering if this is due to the long reach of the bike, when I get out of saddle I move forward too far and the rear wheel loses traction. Should I be riding a medium or working to fix my climbing technique?

American Made!

It's arrived!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B3nnyH View Post
    I recently purchased a large Smuggler. I'm roughly 5'11, with a 32" inseam. I've noticed climbing out of saddle I have a lot of traction issues.

I'm wondering if this is due to the long reach of the bike, when I get out of saddle I move forward too far and the rear wheel loses traction. Should I be riding a medium or working to fix my climbing technique?
    what tires are you running? I ask because with DHRII/DHF on my smuggler I can climb out of the saddle when I need/want to. I'm 5'7" with 30" inseam on a medium.
    I had an minion SS on the rear for a few months and it would slip pretty easily out of the saddle, the DHRII grips like a boss.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

American Made!

Rolling chassis and going to give 27.5 plus a shot. It's a tight fit but see if hard turns cause a rub.
    Can't wait to get this on the dirt!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post

Rolling chassis and going to give 27.5 plus a shot. It's a tight fit but see if hard turns cause a rub.
    Can't wait to get this on the dirt!!

looks awesome, I love that frame color, you should be fine with 2.8's!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

American Made!
    This is a wheel set off my yelli screamy so have NN front and rear...may switch to Wtb tread if it's bad otherwise I have a perfect 29er set up ready to go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just got a 2016 Smuggler 3, coming from a Process 111. I really like the better suspension and cornering feel. Cockpit for a Medium is within mms of the 111 so no problem there. I put all the details and a first ride impressions in this quick review

https://youtu.be/3PftCOOY-CA
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    Just got a 2016 Smuggler 3, coming from a Process 111. I really like the better suspension and cornering feel. Cockpit for a Medium is within mms of the 111 so no problem there. I put all the details and a first ride impressions in this quick review

https://youtu.be/3PftCOOY-CA
    nice video!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've had my '16 Green/Black Smuggler out 4-5 times now and love it, I went from a Kona Honzo (which I still own and love) to this, the biggest difference between the two is the 1.25" longer wheel base on the Smuggler. I noticed that I was exiting corners wide and ending up off trail, what seems to have fixed that issue is to load up the outside pedal, which I typically didn't do on the hard tailed Honzo. Super smooth on the DH, I've noticed I'm taking different lines due to the 29er and FULL suspension.

Prior to buying the Smuggler, I did a lot of reading up and watched a bunch of video's on youtube about the 6Fatty by Specialized. One youtube video (29er vs 27.5 which is faster) really blew my mind how much the 3" tire dominated in a very extensive test (coasting, fire road and singletrack climbing, moderate and aggressive DH) on one of the tests the 3" tire was on avg 14 seconds faster on the DH test. Now after watching that video I'm contemplating putting Minion 2.5" on the Smug ? Any replies, suggestions or will they even fit ?

mtbr member
    I've had my '16 Green/Black Smuggler out 4-5 times now and love it, I went from a Kona Honzo (which I still own and love) to this, the biggest difference between the two is the 1.25" longer wheel base on the Smuggler. I noticed that I was exiting corners wide and ending up off trail, what seems to have fixed that issue is to load up the outside pedal, which I typically didn't do on the hard tailed Honzo. Super smooth on the DH, I've noticed I'm taking different lines due to the 29er and FULL suspension.

Prior to buying the Smuggler, I did a lot of reading up and watched a bunch of video's on youtube about the 6Fatty by Specialized. One youtube video (29er vs 27.5 which is faster) really blew my mind how much the 3" tire dominated in a very extensive test (coasting, fire road and singletrack climbing, moderate and aggressive DH) on one of the tests the 3" tire was on avg 14 seconds faster on the DH test. Now after watching that video I'm contemplating putting Minion 2.5" on the Smug ? Any replies, suggestions or will they even fit ?
    you could totally run a 2.5 DHF on the front for sure. any tests like that are down to the rider and honestly sounds like bull**** to me
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker040 View Post
    you could totally run a 2.5 DHF on the front for sure. any tests like that are down to the rider and honestly sounds like bull**** to me
    Look it up "27.5+ vs 29er Which is Faster"

mtbr member
    Bike Radar lol
    '15 Transition Smuggler

American Made!
    Have both set ups
    29"

27.5 plus

Have about 100 miles now on each wheel size and it's a coin flip IMO.
    Both have pros and cons, the 27.5 plus is snug on the chain stays but I love the confidence the grip/traction gives me.
    The "speed" of the 29" though is evident and of course has a nimbler feel.
    Big trip next week and I'm bringing both sets for some timed runs on a trail I love, can't wait to see how they both perform!

aaarrrggghh!
    Here come the questions. What rim/tire combo are you running in order to accommodate the 27.5+ setup? Also, are you running a boost fork for the front? People with Smuggler's want to know!!

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible View Post
    Here come the questions. What rim/tire combo are you running in order to accommodate the 27.5+ setup? Also, are you running a boost fork for the front? People with Smuggler's want to know!!
    Spank Oozy 345 trail rim, 30 id.

No boost as I'm still using my King hubs so thank you TB for not going to boost just yet!

aaarrrggghh!
    Thanks for the reply. Let us know if you are getting any rub on the stay with those big tires. Seems like this could be a fun option for those of us with Smugglers.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How are you liking the 150mm Pike? What drawbacks did you experience with it?

Your bike looks reeeally nice.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    How are you liking the 150mm Pike? What drawbacks did you experience with it?

Your bike looks reeeally nice.
    Love the 150 and thanks for the props
    I run 4 tokens so less psi and it's as always buttery smooth and goes exactly where you point it!

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Let us know if you are getting any rub on the stay with those big tires. Seems like this could be a fun option for those of us with Smugglers.
    Of course as I've had quite a few bikes and honestly this Smuggler is the best so far! I like that it's still 12x142, long and low and aluminum is just fine!
    I originally ran 2.8 Nobby Nic and there was rub on hard non drive side cornering which I have placed strips of gorilla tape...I am now running a Wtb 2.8 Ranger and it's actually not rubbing!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post
    Love the 150 and thanks for the props
    I run 4 tokens so less psi and it's as always buttery smooth and goes exactly where you point it!

Is it too slack or does it negatively affect climbing? Well, i imagine the slacker ht is awesome, but the seat tube also gets slack right? or does the deeper sag compensate for both of those angles?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone else out there expierencing the Minions washing out in corners ? For the last two years I've been running the Arnets (on another bike) and can't remember them ever washing out, I've tried different air pressure and still not feeling 100% comfortable exiting corners. Last weekend I went down exiting a corner, I walked back to see if I could see what caused it. At first it looked like I just exited wide then got into the soft stuff, been then I wondered if the front tire washed out and forced me into the soft ?
    Anyone else having this issue with the Minions on their Smuggler

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    Is it too slack or does it negatively affect climbing? Well, i imagine the slacker ht is awesome, but the seat tube also gets slack right? or does the deeper sag compensate for both of those angles?
    The reealllll steep yes it does but this am did a "in your face" climb that's about 1.5 miles of double and single track with varied ledges and gains a quick 1k vert and only when I got lazy lol it did wonder around.
    When the down started though had some PRs on some sections, pretty happy with that!
    I actually really like the SA, it makes the pealing feel pretty efficient and I'm running 170mm cranks.

aaarrrggghh!
    I borrowed some 30mm internal diameter rims from a buddy and slapped some Maxxis Ikon and Rekon 2.8's on them. Rekon on the front and Ikon on the rear. Clearance is not an issue at all with the Pike in the front or with the frame in the rear. I might have to build up a set of wheels to run plus rubber on the Smuggler. Also of note, the same combo fits my Patrol with ease.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How well does the smuggler handle jumps? I've never spent any time aboard a 29er. I had to make a slight adjustment jumping when I went from 26" to 27.5" wheels, but that could've also just been a change in the bike and not just the wheels. I'm not talking tombstone DJs or anything like that. I know the Smuggler will handle all the other trails around me, but one of the areas I frequent has a lot of short lines with some jumps/drops built into them. Here's a couple GoPro vids of the trails I have in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMzlL-5Zj1A (most gaps are small, the last gap is about 12' lip to lip)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyw4rDw5pXA

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    no problem. handles them like it's made for it. cause it is. however, case one of those or overshoot and land hard and not a lot of forgiveness from the back end. natch, 115mm travel eh. bike manuals and pops with ease though, intuitively. i have a Patrol as well and the Smug is way way more poppy and playful on sane trails. the Patrol requires much higher speeds/steeper grades to get the most out of.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 341