Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Smuggler

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    you got me enginerd. feather weight wheelsets and xc racing tires are equally at home on burly mountain descents as anything else. you nailed it.
    My point was that a 1500g carbon wheelset can be stronger than a 1900g aluminum wheelset.

If what you think is true actually was true, WC DH bikes would still weigh nearly 50lbs instead of the mid-30s.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    There are plenty of light, strong components available. Is it worth it? Depends on the individual and their wallet but wheels do make a big difference.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    I find it hysterical that there is a weight debate happening in the Smuggler thread. IF weight mattered to me (clearly it doesn't) I wouldn't be riding a Smuggler - simple as that. There are plenty of carbon frames with similar specs if weight matters. My two top priorities were fun and stiff - I got both of those in spades with the Smuggler.

I thought weight (and carbon) were important characteristics at one point and had a Camber carbon built to EVO spec with Roval carbon wheels - carbon everything and likely in the 26# range. Hated it and spent a ton of cash trying to get it to a point where I liked it. The Smuggler is likely 4-5# heavier (and doesn't have the first carbon bit on it) and is a much better bike in every way including the most important factor, fun.

Only change I plan on making is adding a 9.8 dropper once I can get my hands on one. Yup, it will be even a little heavier but at that point, the Smuggler will be the perfect trail bike for me.

I just got done another 20+ miles this morning and am certain I got it right this time around.

You nailed it! This bike is soooooo good!

ast
    mtbr member

New Smuggler frame

Just got my new frame, medium Smuggler.
    I'm really impressed by the build quality.
    It's going to be built up with existing parts.
    I'm pretty excited!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    nice! love the orange!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    any idea on weight?

I really want to pull the trigger on a smuggler but, always struggle with the weight on transition bikes and builds... seems pretty difficult to get a smuggler to the 27 lbs...
    You already did get a lot of good replies showing you that weight should not be the primary concern if you want to ride the Smuggler the way it is intended too (i.e. aggressive trail riding). However for a great example how you can cripple the Smuggler with going overboard on the weight saving, have a look at this bike: 26lbs (11.5kgs) Smuggler! - Pinkbike Forum
    Once you add proper wheels, tires and a dropper post the weight will probably end up just below 28lbs which I think is the sensible lower limit that you can achieve without defeating the purpose of the frame.

cnut
    A couple of interesting things about that build beyond the Crest rims is a laidback seatpost (with what looks like a 60mm stem) considering the Smuggler has tons of reach. And the Ikons, which I absolutely love, on a bike in the UK in November. I do not reside in the UK but something tells me that likely won't work well this time of year.
    Yep, you need something with a bit more tread! Thing is, that thing could probably have a more appropriate set of tyres, a dropper post and a shorter stem and still be pretty damn light.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    At what height would you choose a medium over a large? I am considering a 2nd bike and 1 of my ideas is to pick up a used Smuggler. I'm 5'9.5" and the 18" seat tube on the large should give me enough room for a 125mm dropper. Any thought on which size to pick?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

ast
    mtbr member

2016 Smuggler

Built up!
    Looks pretty cool, can't wait to get out and ride it.
    Still need to sort out a dropper post and do something about the mismatched wheels.
    Currently weighs 13.8kgs (a shade over 30lbs) which I was expecting since all the parts came from my Tallboy LTc and that weighed about 28lbs. Not really concerned about weight for this type of bike. Ride quality is more important to me.
    It's a medium and I'm 5'10". Feels a lot more 'roomier' than my medium Tallboy LTc.
    Fork is set at 140mm.

Smuggler-image.jpg  

cnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Any thought on which size to pick?
    What size is your Knolly? (that is you isn't it?) I seem to remember the geometries are in the same ballpark, so I'd say if the Knolly fits right, look towards the same size Smuggler. And if at all possible, get a ride on one!

Desert Seeker
    Looks nice! This bike is on my radar. So does the latest Smuggler have better rear tire clearance than the outgoing model? What size rear tire are you running? Thanks...

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9 and wear size 30 Levi's and the medium works great. I might be able to squeeze in a 150mm dropper, but I had a 125 already. I run a 50mm stem that feels awesome. No shame in running a 60 if you need a little more room.

I started with a 140mm fork and dropped down to 130mm and liked the bike better. The front end felt more planted in corners for me. I am running a 46mm offset pike FYI.

If I built from scratch I would go with 170mm cranks. Just a little extra room for clearance.

I'm running 2.3 minion DHR front and rear for the winter, and I had a 2.3 ardent on during the summer months.

At this point I'm leaving the thing alone and just riding it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Here is my transition smuggler. It's a 2016 model size large. Total weight incl. pedals 12,3kg

None in Oviedo, Spain - photo by sinterklaas - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Awsome bike Man, congrats

ast
    mtbr member

'16 Smuggler first ride

Had my first ride on the Smuggler.
    Climbs great. Descends even better.
    Left the shock in fully open mode the whole time.
    Feels fine with the fork at 140mm. I prefer my bikes slacker.
    Loving it.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Awesome looking bike.

Grip it and rip it.
    My new pride and joy. First ride out on it today, lovely bike. Definitely confidence inspiring and feels best when carrying a bit of speed.

Just bought the frame and fork new and built it up with existing parts. Going to change out the front wheel when I can for something beefier and a fatter front tyre, but apart from that its good to go!

Smuggler-smuggler.jpg

Smuggler-smug-1.jpg

Smuggler-smug-2.jpg

Smuggler-smug-3.jpg
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Where are you guys picking up your '16s? I've been trying to find a source online, and I don't think there are any local Transition dealers.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice! Do you ride in Ticknock much? See'ya there sometime - I'll be on the black Scout!

Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    My new pride and joy. First ride out on it today, lovely bike. Definitely confidence inspiring and feels best when carrying a bit of speed.

Just bought the frame and fork new and built it up with existing parts. Going to change out the front wheel when I can for something beefier and a fatter front tyre, but apart from that its good to go!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smuggler.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	1037489

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Are you in the US? If so and you do not have a dealer close by, Transition will deal direct. That's what I ended up doing and the transaction could not have been smoother. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
    Ditto. Just call them up. Mine took about a week to show up.

mtbr member
    Are you in the US? If so and you do not have a dealer close by, Transition will deal direct. That's what I ended up doing and the transaction could not have been smoother. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
    Awesome, thanks. I'll send them an email.

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptd View Post
    Nice! Do you ride in Ticknock much? See'ya there sometime - I'll be on the black Scout!
    Yep I do! Been skiing the last week but there's a good chance I'll be up over the weekend if its not too wet. What trails do you ride there?

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    Where are you guys picking up your '16s? I've been trying to find a source online, and I don't think there are any local Transition dealers.
    Pre ordered from my lbs back in mid summer!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicien View Post
    Here is my transition smuggler. It's a 2016 model size large. Total weight incl. pedals 12,3kg

None in Oviedo, Spain - photo by sinterklaas - Pinkbike
    Very nice looking bike. Do you have a build spec?
    I'm trying to decide between Smuggler or Following. A very hard decision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anybody close to Transition heard rumors on the ETA of a Smuggler Carbon?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Anybody close to Transition heard rumors on the ETA of a Smuggler Carbon?
    If this did end up being Transition's next carbon frame I think it would likely be what replaces my Switchback!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmantrials View Post
    If this did end up being Transition's next carbon frame I think it would likely be what replaces my Switchback!
    Of course I don't know their sales numbers, but with the Patrol they already have a 650B Carbon model, so I'd say a Smuggler Carbon is probably more interesting than a Scout Carbon.

Plus weight savings on the 29er would probably be higher.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ast View Post
    had my first ride on the smuggler.
    Climbs great. Descends even better.
    Left the shock in fully open mode the whole time.
    Feels fine with the fork at 140mm. I prefer my bikes slacker.
    Loving it.
    boom! Thats sick!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by haakan View Post
    Very nice looking bike. Do you have a build spec?
    I'm trying to decide between Smuggler or Following. A very hard decision.
    Buildspec:

Smuggler size large
    Hope headset
    Fork RS PIKE RTC3 140mm 51 offset
    Renthal apex stem 50mm
    Renthal carbon DH cut to 770mm
    Hope grips
    RS Reverb 125mm
    Morgaw Trian saddle
    RaceFace next SL cranks 175mm incl., direct mount 32T RF ring, RF BB
    Drivetrain mix off X01 shifter, X1 der and cassette, XX1 chain
    Wheels made up off carbon rims 25mm inner 30mm outside, with Hope pro Evo hubs and a mix of sapim race and d-light spokes
    Tyres currently, schwalbe NobbyNic 2.4 front, and Rock Razor 2.35 back. Running tubeless with stans sealant

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    Awesome, thanks. I'll send them an email.
    I'll follow up on my comments about this.

I had my first ride on my Smuggler that I got direct from Transition this past weekend. The Monarch stuck down after a half a mile, got it to re-extend and rode a bit more and it stuck down again. SRAM has zero direct to consumer support available, you have to go through a dealer. So I call transition. They tell me to call SRAM and give me their world headquarters number. No one even answers that phone. Call SRAM's dealer line and they (not surprisingly) insist you go to a shop. I email transition back. They tell me to take it to a shop is probably the easiest thing. If all else fails they say I can send it back to them and they'll send it to SRAM. I bought this bike at full retail direct from them, I don't think it's too much to ask for a small bit of support in getting this resolved when they have essentially made another $500 on this frame off of me vs selling wholesale.

Long story short: Have a LBS get the bike for you and pay them just like you would Transistion to get some service if you run into issues like I have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    any sram dealer shop should be able to handle this for you regardless of bike brand. the local shop here has sent back numerous rockshox shocks, forks, brakes, etc, and reverb seat posts off of bike brands they don't handle. i had to send back my shock off my smuggler also as did a few others on here and am on my third reverb dropper so not sure what's going with sram if it's a quality control issue or not. the good news is it's a 48hr turn around once it's there and it works better than when i first got it which leads me to believe something was wrong from the get go.

Formerly of Kent
    Yep. I had the local bike shop warranty an XX1 shifter I bought several states away. No problem, two day turn around.

Death from Below.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by botero View Post
    any sram dealer shop should be able to handle this for you regardless of bike brand. the local shop here has sent back numerous rockshox shocks, forks, brakes, etc, and reverb seat posts off of bike brands they don't handle. i had to send back my shock off my smuggler also as did a few others on here and am on my third reverb dropper so not sure what's going with sram if it's a quality control issue or not. the good news is it's a 48hr turn around once it's there and it works better than when i first got it which leads me to believe something was wrong from the get go.
    I know. I used to work in a shop, SRAM will warranty anything for the dumbest of reasons. That's not the point. The point is that it's kind of obnoxious to go into a shop and ask for them to take their time to deal with warrantying something they didn't sell you. The additional retail markup on stuff is partially for customer support from the seller. You won't get that easily from Transition in situations like this if you buy direct, that's my point. I know someone that works in a shop so I'll probably see if he can take care of it and throw him a 6 pack for his troubles. What I'd prefer is I call Transition and they say "Oh that sucks, we'll have Sram send you a return label and get that taken care of" instead of "Oh that sucks, here's Sram's phone number (where no one will help you)"

Anyway, back to the point of the thing. Have an LBS order the bike for you. It will cost the same so there's nothing but positives to go that route.

mtbr member
    I bought my smuggler through a LBS and it worked out perfect. He had to warranty replace (2) reverb's for me but the 3rd one is holding up like a charm!! (knock on wood!)
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Just curious why you ordered direct instead of via an LBS. As I shared in my response, it's my understanding that Transition sends consumers to an LBS if there is one within a decent distance (I have no idea of what that definition is).

I know I would be frustrated if I were in the same situation but I also know that buying from a smaller brand with limited LBS coverage may lead to some frustrations. I'm not trying to dress up a turd but rather being realistic.

Again, good luck with your situation.
    Yeah, if you don't have a dealer in your area they will either sell to you direct or sell to an LBS you want to. So I called them up to see how that works and asked them about going the LBS route and was told that since I was going to build it myself it would be easier to sell direct to me than go through a non dealer shop. So that's what I did. Had I of gone through the LBS I wouldn't have this problem.

mtbr member
    I ordered a Smuggler frame (L/Black) a few weeks ago, and I hear it might not come in until the end of the month. Are you guys having to wait too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay View Post
    I ordered a Smuggler frame (L/Black) a few weeks ago, and I hear it might not come in until the end of the month. Are you guys having to wait too?
    my stepson is in the process of ordering a trans am frame and was told February, so although not a smuggler similar situation. they had complete bikes in stock but we just want the frame do to a build up with a GX drive train and the stock wheels that came on my smuggler.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

aaarrrggghh!

And another one

Just finished building up this one today. Unfortunately mother nature isn't going to allow me to ride it for a little while but I think it is going to be fun. It build up at about 28.5 pounds.Smuggler-unnamed.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    stunning bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm deciding between a Transition Smuggler and Evil's The Following. Your input is welcome and it will be a great help for me. I've posted the details in the 29er sub forum, here:

Transition Smuggler or Evil The Following

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Took my first ride this week on my new L Smuggler 3, completely stock at this point. Demoed 2016 Camber and Stumpy before choosing Smuggler. Camber was fine but felt a bit too XC and just didn't put the smile on my face. Stumpy was lots of fun, but my last two bikes were Big S and I wanted a change. I'd put the Smugg between the other two in ride characteristics, and I thought it was the most fun in the "forget you're on a 29er" sense while preserving 29er rolling qualities. Climbs better than I expected and comes to life on the downs, as many others have said. I put 175 cranks on it, so yes, a few strikes but not bad. At 6'1" with long arms and legs, the bike doesn't feel long to me and the front tire doesn't feel as "out there" as I was expecting from the long reach and 67.5 HA, compared to the Stumpy. I think the difference is the longer shock (140 vs 130) and higher stack of the SJ gave it a slacker feel to me. Which brings me to stack height. I liked how how the higher stack on the SJ (like 645 compared to 620) kept the bars higher in relation to the seat for my 35" inseam. I have 30mm of spacers on the Smuggler and wouldn't want it lower. I'll be experimenting more with bars and stems. Overall I had a great first ride and am looking forward to putting more time on it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sorry to hear of your experince. Thanks for the info. Ya, coming soon in carbon . . . and before long, Boost . . . ?

mtbr member
    For the XL riders, how tall are you, what bar/stem combo?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I didn't go the xl route, but fwiw, I emailed Transition with my 6'1", 35 inseam numbers and got a reply from Blake. He said I could make xl work but suggested large. My LBS called them and got the same response. Clearly much taller and xl would be best. I'm curious too what taller riders are doing with bar/stems.

aaarrrggghh!
    I have ridden both although not extensively. I have taken a Following out for a demo on my local trails. I was able to spend time getting it properly set up and even switching out a stem length of my choice and with my favorite tires. I mention this because I think it makes the comparison between the two more valid.

I have three days on my Smuggler, two of which were on some pretty aggressive trails in St. George, UT. My impressions so far are that these bikes are pretty similar creatures. I personally fit the Smuggler better and like the steeper seat tube angle way better. I think the Smuggler climbs better, especially over rough terrain. When pointing them down hill they seem equally competent and the Smuggler handled some big moves in stride. I never once felt it bottom harshly or really at all and felt it was easy to move around on the trail. Here is a video of the trail I rode, although the riders are not me, lol: The 2016 Yeti/Fox World Enduro Team - Pinkbike

These are just my humble opinions. I know the Following is a media darling right now but given the performance of the Smuggler, the difference in frame price, and the minimal weight difference between them I would go with a Smuggler. If you get to ride them both you can make your own comparisons but I am very happy with my choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There's going to be a carbon Smuggler!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    And as a 29er, weight savings could be as high as with the Patrol.

@Ivan the Terrible, @MostChillin thanks for your feedback, very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I assume that you're joking but in the rare instance you aren't, yes, there will be a carbon Smuggler. Confirmed in recent correspondence with TR regarding bearing issues.
    Nope, wasn't joking. Must have missed that bit of info. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Just a heads-up to keep an eye on your pivots and bearings.

I removed my shock the other night to install my Fall Line dropper that finally arrived. I noticed that the rocker link was not rotating smoothly so I disassembled and found the drive side bearing completely seized and the non-drive side rotates very roughly (failing). Not good.

Contacted Transition and not a warranty item. I got the standard response (we don't manufacture the bearings; have no idea how the bike has been maintained) and a recommendation to buy Enduro bearings because they are better than the bearings that are installed. FWIW I ensured all pivot bolts were torqued to spec prior to my build.

I didn't argue the point but after sleeping on it, not sure how I feel about it considering the frame is 3 months old. Cheaper for me to buy new Enduro bearings than to spend the time fighting a warranty claim. Disappointing considering the age, time on the frame/bearings and how well I take care of/maintain my bike.

Update: ordered Enduro Max bearings. The set of (8) runs around $110 retail.

And while not a secret, I get the impression we'll be seeing a carbon Smuggler soon.
    where did you get the enduro max bearings from? Curious as I would like to have a set for when I need to replace mine. So far so good (~700 miles on my smuggler) but I have had to re-torque them more than once.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    thank you very much for the reply!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Robtre
    I am 6'4" 35" inseam, and i ran the stock set up with the stem "slammed" until this week. I bought the ANVL Swage Stem, and moved the stack height up 20mm. I think i still need a riser bar, but I will give it a couple rides to determine.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    just under 6'5", 35mm Spank stem and 777 bars, 5mm rise I think. I did run it with 50mm to start with as that's what I had before but quite like it at 35, the bike is a good length and doesn't need a longer stem, for me anyway.

Oh and my bearings have lasted amazingly well in Scottish muck, over 200 hours so far.

knobby noob
    This just in from my LBS last night.

Build-list:

2016 Transition Smuggler frame (M)
    LB 27mm hookless carbon rims /w Hope Pro II Evo hubs
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29"x2.25 (tubeless)
    2016 Rockshox Pike RCT3 130mm
    Rockshox Monarch RT3 Debonair shock
    Raceface Atlas 785mm flat bar
    ODI TLD yellow grips
    Raceface Atlas 50mm stem
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Raceface Chester seatpost
    Raceface Aeffect saddle
    XT brakeset
    Raceface crank boots
    XX1 drivetrain /w 30t ring
    Shimano XT pedals

Most of the parts carried over from my ex Atlas, with the exception of the fork!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-12646928_10153403721705980_3451522183160142606_o.jpg  

2012 Giant Trance X1 (gone)
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi guys,
    Hoping for a bit of sizing advice from fellow riders. Had a good look on this thread but haven't found heaps of sizing info. I'm 5'11 with 33inseam. Have just taken a medium smuggler for two demo rides as was the only size they had. Had 780mm bars and a 50mm stem and the fit seemed pretty good. Medium smuggler has a longer reach than my large Ros 9 which fits me like glove. Seated climbing was slightly cramped but had no issues doing a couple of 3hr rides in terms of any pain. Just wondering if there are any other similar height riders on smugglers and what size? I won't be able to demo a large and am wary of going bigger if it means it loses some of its playfulness. The bike was just so much fun and cornered on rails and popped off everything! Thanks for any help

knobby noob
    I'm 5'8 and inseam of just over 29" (short legs I know!). Running a 50mm stem and 785 bar on a medium Smuggler. Still tweaking it, but seems fine for me so far.
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by axl886 View Post
    I'm 5'8 and inseam of just over 29" (short legs I know!). Running a 50mm stem and 785 bar on a medium Smuggler. Still tweaking it, but seems fine for me so far.
    I'm also 5'8. With that setup how does it feel compared to stock? More nimble/poppy/huckable?

knobby noob
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLight350z View Post
    I'm also 5'8. With that setup how does it feel compared to stock? More nimble/poppy/huckable?
    Not sure how it compares to stock as I went the frameset option actually.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior01 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Hoping for a bit of sizing advice from fellow riders. Had a good look on this thread but haven't found heaps of sizing info. I'm 5'11 with 33inseam. Have just taken a medium smuggler for two demo rides as was the only size they had. Had 780mm bars and a 50mm stem and the fit seemed pretty good. Medium smuggler has a longer reach than my large Ros 9 which fits me like glove. Seated climbing was slightly cramped but had no issues doing a couple of 3hr rides in terms of any pain. Just wondering if there are any other similar height riders on smugglers and what size? I won't be able to demo a large and am wary of going bigger if it means it loses some of its playfulness. The bike was just so much fun and cornered on rails and popped off everything! Thanks for any help

According to Transition's size guide (which I find makes a lot of sense), you're on the upper end of medium, so you should be able to choose between a medium or a large. That you felt slightly, but not uncomfortably cramped on the medium is a good indicator.

In my opinion, you should base the decision on your cockpit preferences and your riding style. If you have a lot of tight terrain and prefer a playful bike, and are willing to ride a slightly longer stem, then the medium might be a better choice. If you want stability on the fast and steep stuff and prefer to ride a shorter stem, then I'd go for a large.

I'm 6 ft 1 with a 35 inseam, so our difference is just my legs being slightly longer. Based on how other bikes fit me and comparing the geo numbers, I'd decided I can't take a medium. Reach as a starting number is affected by spacers, bar rise, bar width, stem length, so effective reach can differ once you've made adjustments to your cockpit etc. One aspect is that the medium's 610 Stack would be too low for me, and I'd plan on riding with a longer fork, too, which would further reduce reach.

I've learned that an effective Reach of 430 is the absolute minimum for me, with the sweet spot more in the 440-445 range.

I feel I can comfortably ride a 40 to 50mm stem, but preferably not more, and I like my bars at around 760 to 780.

I don't like to compromise on stem length, bar width or cockpit height, so I'm not the person who'd advise just going with a longer stem to make a shorter frame fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anyone tried a piggy back shock on a smuggler? Any fit issues??

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    According to Transition's size guide (which I find makes a lot of sense), you're on the upper end of medium, so you should be able to choose between a medium or a large. That you felt slightly, but not uncomfortably cramped on the medium is a good indicator.

In my opinion, you should base the decision on your cockpit preferences and your riding style. If you have a lot of tight terrain and prefer a playful bike, and are willing to ride a slightly longer stem, then the medium might be a better choice. If you want stability on the fast and steep stuff and prefer to ride a shorter stem, then I'd go for a large.

I'm 6 ft 1 with a 35 inseam, so our difference is just my legs being slightly longer. Based on how other bikes fit me and comparing the geo numbers, I'd decided I can't take a medium. Reach as a starting number is affected by spacers, bar rise, bar width, stem length, so effective reach can differ once you've made adjustments to your cockpit etc. One aspect is that the medium's 610 Stack would be too low for me, and I'd plan on riding with a longer fork, too, which would further reduce reach.

I've learned that an effective Reach of 430 is the absolute minimum for me, with the sweet spot more in the 440-445 range.

I feel I can comfortably ride a 40 to 50mm stem, but preferably not more, and I like my bars at around 760 to 780.

I don't like to compromise on stem length, bar width or cockpit height, so I'm not the person who'd advise just going with a longer stem to make a shorter frame fit.
    Thanks for the detailed reply Vanguard. I appreciate your thoughts on it!

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Here's mine. It's a sweet ride.

Smuggler-img_20160130_133110_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    Here's mine. It's a sweet ride.

Name:	IMG_20160130_133110_1.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	1049372
    a BEAUTY!!

are those 30mm ID carbon rims with maxxis ikons? how to the ikons do with the wide rims?

I currently am running DHRII and DHF 2.3's on 30mm ID carbon rims myself but am looking for a bit lighter tire for the late spring / summer season
    '15 Transition Smuggler

aaarrrggghh!
    I just put a Float X on mine. So far I like the way it feels but my water bottle will not fit with the piggyback reservoir. The rear end seems to track a bit better than the Monarch over trail chatter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-float-x-smuggler.jpg  

Last edited by Ivan the Terrible; 02-16-2016 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible View Post
    I just put a Float X on mine. So far I like the way it feels but my water bottle will not fit with the piggyback reservoir. The rear end seems to track a bit better than the Monarch over trail chatter.
    cool!! I would love to see pics!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wondering if anyone has a 2016 Smuggler in XL, in black. Curious to see what that looks like. Might make the jump to full suspension this year and am really liking Transition's approach!

mxl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Wondering if anyone has a 2016 Smuggler in XL, in black. Curious to see what that looks like. Might make the jump to full suspension this year and am really liking Transition's approach!
    I have the 2015 frame with 2016 kit on it. The main difference is that "Transition" is in grey instead of polished black.

Smuggler-2015.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl View Post
    I have the 2015 frame with 2016 kit on it. The main difference is that "Transition" is in grey instead of polished black.

Name:	2015.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	1051107
    Speedy Gonzales!

how tall are you, out of curiosity?

mxl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Speedy Gonzales!

how tall are you, out of curiosity?
    :-)

I'm 1,90 mt, should be 6,23"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hello there,

here's my newly built Smuggler XL 2016
    I'm 1.95m tall so i supposed to be a perfect fit for this frame size.
    Sorry for "in home" photos but it's still too much snow out there

Smuggler-enftru-loqu.jpg Smuggler-iualoljbno0.jpg Smuggler-o70i1uluabg.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

My XL 2015 Smuggy

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks! I am very happy with the monarch plus. I just swapped the shock from my on one codeine, assuming a more stable setup for long descents and a better usability due to separate knobs for rebound and compression settings.

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the XL pics fellas!

Did any of you order a frame online in the us? if so, where from?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by beckma View Post
    Thanks! I am very happy with the monarch plus. I just swapped the shock from my on one codeine, assuming a more stable setup for long descents and a better usability due to separate knobs for rebound and compression settings.

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk
    Hey mate, what spec did you go for? Medium rebound/ compression tune?

i am thinking of doing the very same conversion on my smuggler

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes, it's a medium tune M/M and I've 3 bottomless token installed.

knobby noob
    Glad to see many Safety Oranges around...

Found previous setup too slippery... so installed 2.3" Maxxis HR2 in place of the Nobby Nics.

And e*thirteen decals, KS Lev dropper, RF Half Nelson grips and black crankboots too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-12768223_10153445071010980_8491315383650345902_o.jpg  

2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker040 View Post
    a BEAUTY!!

are those 30mm ID carbon rims with maxxis ikons? how to the ikons do with the wide rims?

I currently am running DHRII and DHF 2.3's on 30mm ID carbon rims myself but am looking for a bit lighter tire for the late spring / summer season
    They are 32mm inside with 2.35 Ikons, huge volume. I love the combo for dry hardpack. They are light, roll fast and hook up. Obviously when it gets wet or really loose the front becomes an issue, in that case I still run the Ikon out back but a DHR or DHF up front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My new baby - Smuggler in L

Smuggler-transition-smuggler.jpg

Made just a short ride around the block - I am excited how it will be on the trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    They are 32mm inside with 2.35 Ikons, huge volume. I love the combo for dry hardpack. They are light, roll fast and hook up. Obviously when it gets wet or really loose the front becomes an issue, in that case I still run the Ikon out back but a DHR or DHF up front.
    cool!! thanks!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Hey all,
    I'm about 2 steps away from building up a Smuggler. Being 6"1, 29ers have always fitted me better.

The only thing that's really holding me back - I have an XC background and although I now love to ride more aggressively on the way down, I still really value being able to get to the top of the hill, and fast-ish along the flats (there's a lot of that where I live now).

Has anyone come from riding the likes of the Trek Fuel EX (2014 EX 9 is my current ride) or Specialized Camber and found the Smuggler a bit too much of a slouch on flat terrain and going up hill? I'm not expecting XC bike efficiency, but just want to hear if anyone thinks it rides a little heavier than something with more travel, like a Stumpjumper or Remedy.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, just put a deposit down on a Tranny Smuggler 2 in orange. Should be here next week. Selling my Tallboy since i think the tranny suits my riding style better.
    -2016 Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    -2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 CC
    -2016 Transition Smuggler
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Shop just got an account with Transition, so I am a little more psyched, though still a few months away from a new whip (damn you, wedding).
    This week I am on a 27.5 Remedy that thing ripped down our flowy downhill. This weekend will be the TSE enduro stage.

Still think 29" wheel is my jam, but don't know if I need the 140 travel of the remedy or just go Smuggler.

Also saw this over the last two days.
    KrunkShox's Transition Smuggler 29er for EWS - The Hub - Mountain Biking Forums / Message Boards - Vital MTB
    Smuggler-s1200_ewschile16_26a8849.jpg
    Smuggler at EWS!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

My new Smuggler build

Hey guys,

Here is my new smuggler build. Demoed an Evil Following and a Banshee Phantom but decided on the Smuggler after taking one out for a few demo rides. Only had a couple of rides so far but couldn't be happier. Big thanks to Stu at Defcon Cycles here in Australia for help getting it built up. Here are the specs:

Frame: Medium matte black Smuggler frame with monarch debonair
    Fork: Fox 34 130mm
    Cranks: Raceface Next SL
    Pedals: DMR Vault
    Wheels: Zelvy carbon rims with Project 321 hub
    Tyres: 2.35 Nobby Nic f and 2.3 Minion SS r
    Brakes: Saint brakes with 180mm icetec rotors
    Headset: Hope integral
    Stem: Straitline Amp 50mm
    Bars: Raceface SixC
    Grips: Santacruz palmdale
    Seatpost: Rockshox reverb 150mm
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom
    Shifting: Saint shifter with XT derailleur, Praxxis cassette & KMC chain
    Guide: Oneup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-img_0008.jpg  

Smuggler-img_0009.jpg  

Smuggler-img_0012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior01 View Post
    Hey guys,

Here is my new smuggler build. Demoed an Evil Following and a Banshee Phantom but decided on the Smuggler after taking one out for a few demo rides. Only had a couple of rides so far but couldn't be happier. Big thanks to Stu at Defcon Cycles here in Australia for help getting it built up. Here are the specs:

Frame: Medium matte black Smuggler frame with monarch debonair
    Fork: Fox 34 130mm
    Cranks: Raceface Next SL
    Pedals: DMR Vault
    Wheels: Zelvy carbon rims with Project 321 hub
    Tyres: 2.35 Nobby Nic f and 2.3 Minion SS r
    Brakes: Saint brakes with 180mm icetec rotors
    Headset: Hope integral
    Stem: Straitline Amp 50mm
    Bars: Raceface SixC
    Grips: Santacruz palmdale
    Seatpost: Rockshox reverb 150mm
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom
    Shifting: Saint shifter with XT derailleur, Praxxis cassette & KMC chain
    Guide: Oneup
    a beauty mate!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I was coming from an epic and demoed a 2016 camber and stumpy before going with smuggler. I think smuggler might ride a bit heavier uphill than either specialized, but it's not a slouch. I also find I'm also happy riding the smuggler wide open all the time (minus long fireroad climbs), but with Specialized I'm always switching the shock back and forth. The smuggler for me, overall, hit the middle ground between the camber and stumpy for geometry and travel.

mtbr member
    Anyone with a safety orange smuggy with custom fork graphics? Thinking about ordering some slik graphics for the pike and monarch. Would love to see some pics. Cheers
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got thinking about your post and my response on a couple of rides this week on both familiar and unfamiliar trails. The one day I got to ride new trails, they were even a bit more flat and XC oriented than my normal riding spots. A really good beginner spot.

Funny enough, as a bike whore (who cannot currently add to the stable due to current projects), I was thinking about replacing the Smuggler with an EPO as I miss having a hardtail. After getting a chance to ride the EPO a bit earlier this week, I concluded that the Smuggler is a perfect quiver killer for me and the EPO would have to be a second bike in the future. Loved the EPO but I don't foresee going back to a hardtail as my only MTB.

Will we see a carbon Smuggler at Sea Otter???

Snap from a ride this week on familiar trails:

Attachment 1060598
    I have owned about 20 different MTB´s over all and my last two have been an Transition TransAm29 (2015 model) and an Enduro. I loved the TransAm which is geometry-wise pretty similar to the EPO (but1.5kg heavier). I sold both bikes and got the Smuggler which is a perfect match for me. It is the ONE bike I was looking for a very long time. Not long ago I was a hater of 29" wheels but only they made it possible to create such a widely usable bike.

The smuggler I am running is upgraded with -1° angle set which I can recommend to everybody. There are no negative tendencies with the slacker head angle. Even so I am running a 140mm fork, which fits nicely to the bike. So overall I am more on the aggressive side riding this bike. After getting harsh bottom outs after some drops/jumps I am actually testing the damper possibilities and am running now 4 bottemless tokens with ~ 30 - 32% SAG. Suspension usage is still pretty good and the ramp up feels good. That suits my riding style pretty good. Also it is noticably more pedal efficient especially in the trail mode which I am mostly running on flowy trails with jumps and drops. Sitting to standing transition feels much better. If I go to the gnarly rocky and rooty stuff I open the damper to DH mode.
    I am not sure if this will be my riding setup for ever as I am still experimenting (think I need more compression damping to get a bit more SAG again) but it feels good. I am sure this will not fit everybody but I like this bike very much. And yes - this bike is not an XC rig.

Is anybody using an CaneCreek damper in the Smuggler and can let me know his impressions about it compared to the Monarch?

BR
    Tobias

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i built my smug up originally to be as burly as possible for coastal BC riding. 140 pike up front, 50mm stem, and fatest tires i could fit. minion 2.5 up front. awesome set up. i just moved to Kamloops BC, in the interior sage brush dessert. vastly different terrain! fast, smooth but still quite steep. i have a Patrol on order (salivating) and will change the smug's set up to make it as climby and xc as possible. lighter tires, a 60mm stem set 1cm lower and that oughtta do it. not worth swapping down to 130 on the fork. i've never ridden a real race bike and i figure this will make it better for fast flowy trails but still be a bomber when needed. the smuggler is one hell of an overall trail bike. mine has seen some tough trail and it loves it. bigger steeper terrain still demands a diff bike. so back to 2 bikes it is, life is tough.

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch for sharing that!

I definitely won't be entering any XC races or any of those other 'endurance' events (remember how we used to all do 24hr races?), those days are long behind me. I'm just still a sucker for that 'pedal input = immediate go' feeling.Nowadays I really like letting it hang out on the downs too... just a matter of trying to figure out which side I'll have to compromise a little on

Belgicano
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    I have owned about 20 different MTB´s over all and my last two have been an Transition TransAm29 (2015 model) and an Enduro. I loved the TransAm which is geometry-wise pretty similar to the EPO (but1.5kg heavier). I sold both bikes and got the Smuggler which is a perfect match for me. It is the ONE bike I was looking for a very long time. Not long ago I was a hater of 29" wheels but only they made it possible to create such a widely usable bike.

The smuggler I am running is upgraded with -1° angle set which I can recommend to everybody. There are no negative tendencies with the slacker head angle. Even so I am running a 140mm fork, which fits nicely to the bike. So overall I am more on the aggressive side riding this bike. After getting harsh bottom outs after some drops/jumps I am actually testing the damper possibilities and am running now 4 bottemless tokens with ~ 30 - 32% SAG. Suspension usage is still pretty good and the ramp up feels good. That suits my riding style pretty good. Also it is noticably more pedal efficient especially in the trail mode which I am mostly running on flowy trails with jumps and drops. Sitting to standing transition feels much better. If I go to the gnarly rocky and rooty stuff I open the damper to DH mode.
    I am not sure if this will be my riding setup for ever as I am still experimenting (think I need more compression damping to get a bit more SAG again) but it feels good. I am sure this will not fit everybody but I like this bike very much. And yes - this bike is not an XC rig.

Is anybody using an CaneCreek damper in the Smuggler and can let me know his impressions about it compared to the Monarch?

BR
    Tobias
    Tobias, I ride a 2015 Smuggler with a -1 Angleset too, but a 130 Pike (with 4 tokens, at 20/22% sag), and have been using a CCDB Air CS on it for the past year. It took me quite a while to dial it to my liking, but I have to say it works a lot better than the stock Monarch, particularly on braking bumps and for generating traction. I've got mine set at 18mm sag, 1 large and 3 small spacers, 2 turns HSC, 13 clicks LSC, 2.75 turns HSR, 16 clicks LSR. For bigger jumps I tweak the HSC to 2.5 or 2.75 HSC and the LSC to 15 clicks.
    I tried less spacers and higher pressure but it was riding too high at the back. Same pressure and 2 large spacers felt too progressive, same pressure 1 large spacer was bottoming out too easily.
    Frame of reference: I'm 170 cm, weigh 86 kg, ride a medium, 50mm and 0 rise stem, 760mmx15mm handlebar with just 7mm of spacers underneath, tend to ride quite over the front of the bike, and do everything on the bike from grocery shopping to full-on DH runs.
    Bottom line: very happy with the CCDB AIR CS on the Smuggler, just take your time to dial it in, and if in doubt, go to the Cane Creek lounge and ask Malcolm. Cheers.
    Last edited by ChileBike; 05-12-2016 at 04:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Great thread. I had a Transition Covert 29er and it was a beast going down and a stupidity heavy load pedaling up. I think the Smuggler is right for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey, thank´s for the feedback. I share your thougths that a damper with HIgh- and Low-Speed Adjustment will increase the performance. I was very close in buying an CC Inline but then had the opportunity of taking an Marzocchi 053 - and that is what I did. Due to the small air chamber it should fit very good to the Smuggler. The damper should arrive within the next 3 days and I let you know how it works.
    Frame of reference: 178cm, 74 kg and riding an L with 50mm steam

Belgicano
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    Hey, thank´s for the feedback. I share your thougths that a damper with HIgh- and Low-Speed Adjustment will increase the performance. I was very close in buying an CC Inline but then had the opportunity of taking an Marzocchi 053 - and that is what I did. Due to the small air chamber it should fit very good to the Smuggler. The damper should arrive within the next 3 days and I let you know how it works.
    Frame of reference: 178cm, 74 kg and riding an L with 50mm steam
    You're welcome. I am curious to hear how you'll get on with the 053, I know that the CCDB with the high volume (XV) can wouldn't have worked for me.
    I'd love to try a coil shock on the Smuggler, though.
    Last edited by ChileBike; 05-12-2016 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Just got mine and i love it! Super playful and stable. X01 build with atomik carbon wheels and hope pro 4 hubs. Wish they offered the fox fork with the x01 build though, not a fan of the pike.

-2015 Orbea Avant M20d

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    For those running monarch rt3s, what is your riding weight and rebound setting preference?

I just got my frame Monday, and am getting the shock dialed. The full range of rebound seems on the slow side compared to previous bikes, for me. I'm 185 geared, and am trying out 4 clicks from closed. It just feels so damped to me in the first 30% of travel, but beyond that it seems right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
    Just got mine and i love it! Super playful and stable. X01 build with atomik carbon wheels and hope pro 4 hubs. Wish they offered the fox fork with the x01 build though, not a fan of the pike.

Very nice, what are your stats and what is the frame size? It looks very proportionate and clean!

Robtre
    I am a bit heavier than you, and I did the progressive tune with 2 bands. MUCH more responsive !
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    For those running monarch rt3s, what is your riding weight and rebound setting preference?

I just got my frame Monday, and am getting the shock dialed. The full range of rebound seems on the slow side compared to previous bikes, for me. I'm 185 geared, and am trying out 4 clicks from closed. It just feels so damped to me in the first 30% of travel, but beyond that it seems right.
    Im running 5 clicks from the fastest rebound, there are not many jumps on my trails but a lot of roots and rocks so my suspension does pack if i dont have it a bit faster than usual. Im 195 Fully geared up, have not messed with the bands im running what ever tranny sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    Very nice, what are your stats and what is the frame size? It looks very proportionate and clean!
    Hey brother, im 195 fully geared up and 6'1 on a large frame. Ive got a buddy that just got his XL ill try to get a side by side comparison pic. Bike feels roomier than my large tallboy even though the specs dont suggest that much of a difference. Cheers
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post

around 190 geared, running 145 PSI rebound fully open, no bands, il like the rear smooth and poppy, the front firm.

mtbr member
    Added new Slik graphics to the fork and atomik carbon hooked me up with my wheel stickers in safety orange. What do you guys think?

-2015 Orbea Avant M20d

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 395