Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Smuggler

mtbr member
    sbd: Ya I live in Santa Rosa. I was pleasantly surprised by the weight. Size small. The build is XO1 shifter, RR der and cassette. XX1 cranks, Roval control carbon wheels, KS Lev integra post, XO Trail brakes, Pike 130, WTB saddle, SWorks bar. Lighter tires could bring it down to 27lbs but can't give up my Vigilante's!!! I just can't get over how good this bike really is!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I live in Ukiah. Really want one of these for my next bike but can't find anywhere to see/try one. They look perfect for my trails.

mtbr member
    What size?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm a large

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MediumDiesel View Post
    I need some advice from the Smuggler riders out there. I am having a frame warrantied and I'm thinking of selling it to fund a smuggler. The question I have is, should I call around and find a blue medium smuggler and run it, or get my name on the the orange one coming out with a little more tire clearance and possibly different BB height? I have to wait until October for the orange one, which sucks.

Any of you having problems with rock strikes? I'm running a 2.3 maxxis ardent in the rear, would there be enough clearance in the 2015 frame?

I have all the parts and a 140mm pike right now with some stans flow wheels with an ardent on the back and a minion 2.3 on the front. I ride North bay area stuff a lot like Annadel, china camp, tamarancho with occasional downieville trips thrown in. Just planning on swapping parts over from my other bike.
    how do you know what changes if any are in store for the smuggler for the next model year?

by the by, the bb height is a complete non issue. look at any modern performance trail bike. learn to pedal and ratchet pedal over tech sections, no problem. sure you hit the pedals occasionally, so what. the bike is also slack and a bit floppy on steep climbs if you're lazy. should they make the head angle steeper more like an xc race bike? jesus people, what do you want? high speed stability requires some compromises. the rear tire clearance is a minor annoyance. the tires i want to run fit fine as is. i don't want to run magic marys or vigilantes in the back on this bike. purgs, butchers, ikon 2.35s no problem.
    Last edited by cunningstunts; 08-17-2015 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    how do you know what changes if any are in store for the smuggler for the next model year?
    http://www.plushhillcycles.co.uk/bra...ansition-bikes

(Posted in the "Transition 2016" thread)

mtbr member
    Ikon 2.35s fit? That's a pretty big tire, almost the size of a 2.4 Ardent. If I ever get a line on a smuggler I won't worry about running a larger tire.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Those 2016 pics look GOOD.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Ikon 2.35s fit? That's a pretty big tire, almost the size of a 2.4 Ardent. If I ever get a line on a smuggler I won't worry about running a larger tire.
    I had 2.35" Ikon on an AC All Mountain wheel in the back and it was rideable. Then I switched to another (wider) rear wheel which was slightly out of true vertically, maybe 1-2mm. On that the Ikon was rubbing the seat stay bridge.

mtbr member
    I only know what the drop n zone guy told me about the 16. I've pretty much made up my mind on the blue smuggler. The orange looks sweet, but I don't want to be without a bike for 2 months.

I don't see myself going any bigger than a 2.3, but when it gets sloppy it would be nice to have a little less mud packing in between the stays. The low bottom bracket would be fun after speaking to Guvna about our local trails.

mtbr member
    https://www.facebook.com/bert.bauman...68649039456769
    having some fun on my smuggler! @monte Tremalzo - Lake Garda - Italie

mtbr member
    smuggler should be coming in to my LBS in the next day or two....must remain calm...

I picked it up last night, feels great riding it around a little in the yard & street. Going to get a real ride on some local trails later today, I can't wait to try it out.

It's a huge difference from my previous ride, should be interesting.

https://goo.gl/photos/feqfwo3HLjY2TH2u8
    Last edited by mtbiker040; 08-13-2015 at 05:06 AM.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    took it out for the first ride yesterday and I was not disappointed!

there were many firsts for me involved here, first 29'er, dropper, sram drivetrain and they all worked excellent!

taking it out again this am!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I have put 40 miles on the smuggler in 2 days, it's fantastic. I couldn't be happier with it.

It climbs great and descends even better. I hit a nice long, straight, rooty downhill yesterday and it was the best part of the day, let the brakes go and flew down it!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by biggusjimmus View Post
    Has anyone tried a 2.4 Trail Boss in the back?

edit: read at stw that you can fit one in
    I have a 2.25 Trail boss on a KOM 23 rim and its soooooo close. No way a 2.4 would fit :-( I have a 2.4 on the front and the width is almost the same but the height is quite a bit taller.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Has anyone tried a coil-over on the Smug yet? I'm contemplating but would dig some input if anyone has any. I welcome speculation. The debonair has been a solid trail shock. I've been using this bike for heavily rock infested long downhills lately and am just wondering about other options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No but I do have a M M tune Debonair fitted now as the warranty replacement of the factory shock with the L L tune would be in the order of months waiting here in the UK. I've had a couple of rides and a bit undecided if it is a good idea so far.

2.4 trail boss does fit according to a post on previous page ^

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Frame up build. Not finished, new cockpit as a 60mm stem is long. Waiting on sram guides hence the taped elixers to the down tube. Reynolds wheelset is noice.

Unknown weight.

Robtre
    Soon to be part of the Transition Smuggler Crew. My last FS bike was a 2008 Specialized FSR 26'er, so its been a while. I've been a hardtail, single-speeder since, should be interesting. I have a Canfield Nimble 9 with very similar geometry, I hope the Smuggler performs the same.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    it won't. it has full suspension and will be much much better, especially when it get's steep, fast and rowdy. i promise.

Robtre
    it won't. it has full suspension and will be much much better, especially when it get's steep, fast and rowdy. i promise.
    Like the sound of that!!! Pics soon to come.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone changed from Bandit 29 v1 to Smuggler? What differences am I going to expect? I really like my Bandit but its time to get a new bike. My friend has a Scout and I really like how his Giddy-up performs.

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Laihmi View Post
    Anyone changed from Bandit 29 v1 to Smuggler? What differences am I going to expect? I really like my Bandit but its time to get a new bike. My friend has a Scout and I really like how his Giddy-up performs.
    +1
    same boat here...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have. We had a V1 Bandit 29 (130/140) as a demo bike that I spent a LOT of time riding, in fact it was the bike that turned me on to 29ers.

After that I bought myself a V2 (120/120) and rode it for a year before getting a Banshee Phantom and eventually a Smuggler.

In short, the Smuggler takes everything that was good about the Bandits and adds a much better pedalling platform and some downhill stability without losing the playful nature. I am pretty sure it would be my only bike if they made a 5.5lb carbon frame, but they don't so I have a light hardtail as well.

Get a Smuggler, you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Phantom vs smuggler?

Quote Originally Posted by pedalsbikecare View Post
    I have. We had a V1 Bandit 29 (130/140) as a demo bike that I spent a LOT of time riding, in fact it was the bike that turned me on to 29ers.

After that I bought myself a V2 (120/120) and rode it for a year before getting a Banshee Phantom and eventually a Smuggler.

In short, the Smuggler takes everything that was good about the Bandits and adds a much better pedalling platform and some downhill stability without losing the playful nature. I am pretty sure it would be my only bike if they made a 5.5lb carbon frame, but they don't so I have a light hardtail as well.

Get a Smuggler, you won't regret it.
    I take it you like the smuggler more than the phantom? I've been considering the phantom and smuggler for a few months, definitely leaning towards the '16 smuggler 3. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    They are both very close to be fair, very similar bikes that ride as such. Nothing about the Phantom made me want to change I had just spent a lot of time on it and fancied something new. Pick whichever you like the look of most and you will be happy with it. The Smuggler takes a bottle cage, the Phantom comes with the best trail shock ever produced in the CC Inline.

mtbr member
    I have put ~ 120 miles on the smuggler now and I love it more each ride, I continue to get confidence with the cornering and how it just sticks to the ground. When I drop the post down and get low it literally feels like I am glued to the ground!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the bike's stability is uncanny eh? i've been down crazy steep pitches on mine and you can crawl down if the traction is available or bomb if you have the stones. bike is incredible. i see a fox 36 talas 130/150 in the future for this bike, and my other bike going up for sale...

mtbr member
    the bike's stability is uncanny eh? i've been down crazy steep pitches on mine and you can crawl down if the traction is available or bomb if you have the stones. bike is incredible. i see a fox 36 talas 130/150 in the future for this bike, and my other bike going up for sale...
    totally agree 100%!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Robtre

Getting Closer !!!

Smuggler-transition-frame.jpg

Frame and build kit arrived, awaiting for it to be built and completed!
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transition frame.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	1014078

Frame and build kit arrived, awaiting for it to be built and completed!
    nice!! can't wait to see the completed build pics!!

I pulled the trigger on a set of 30mm ID LB wheels to try out on mine!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Robtre
    I'm gonna ride it stock until after Christmas, then she will be going on a diet. Super stoked!
    -rides bikes for fun.

Robtre

Today is the day

No sooner did I arrive at my LBS to pick her up did the skies open up and it started pouring, so today is the day I take her out for the first ride. Super Stoked.....

Smuggler-unnamed.jpg
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    No sooner did I arrive at my LBS to pick her up did the skies open up and it started pouring, so today is the day I take her out for the first ride. Super Stoked.....

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	1014666
    looks awesome!! I love the color!

let us know what you thought about the ride!!

I put some crank boots and an MRP bash guard on

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

Smuggler-20150914_082842.jpgSmuggler-20150914_082900.jpg
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Robtre
    OK I have about 25 miles on the bike thus far. Ride 1: a local trail I ride 2-3 times a week right by my work 11.6 miles of flat, flowy fast singletrack with a few stunts built into it. so for perspective, I gave up FS bikes in 2008 for 29'er hardtails, then SS 29er hardtails so I am re-learning how to ride this bike right, mostly that I can sit down to climb!!! And that the bike does really well!!! The bike handles and corners just like my Nimble 9 but better with the rear wheel tracking through bumpy corners. The bike is heavy compared to my hardtail, so I am getting used to that. So basically its a total revolution, but I like it. So I took it back to my shop and played with the set up, added air to the shock, and took it back out for a tougher ride with more climbs and downhills. The bike flat our rips downhill!!! Uphill is just different than SS hardtail, so my legs are basically getting worked in a different way and soon I will be better at grinding instead of hammering. Also the dropper post is worth every penny!!! Again I have been riding a cave man bike for so long that all these switches are confusing! My only upgrade in sight will be lighter wheel set soon, probably I-9s with lighter tires!!!
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    OK I have about 25 miles on the bike thus far. Ride 1: a local trail I ride 2-3 times a week right by my work 11.6 miles of flat, flowy fast singletrack with a few stunts built into it. so for perspective, I gave up FS bikes in 2008 for 29'er hardtails, then SS 29er hardtails so I am re-learning how to ride this bike right, mostly that I can sit down to climb!!! And that the bike does really well!!! The bike handles and corners just like my Nimble 9 but better with the rear wheel tracking through bumpy corners. The bike is heavy compared to my hardtail, so I am getting used to that. So basically its a total revolution, but I like it. So I took it back to my shop and played with the set up, added air to the shock, and took it back out for a tougher ride with more climbs and downhills. The bike flat our rips downhill!!! Uphill is just different than SS hardtail, so my legs are basically getting worked in a different way and soon I will be better at grinding instead of hammering. Also the dropper post is worth every penny!!! Again I have been riding a cave man bike for so long that all these switches are confusing! My only upgrade in sight will be lighter wheel set soon, probably I-9s with lighter tires!!!
    awesome! it does indeed like to be pointed downhill, that's for sure! I also found it responds really well to pump and if you get in a section of whoops and start pumping it good it really takes off!

I find it climbs really well too and I leave the rear shock open at all times.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    alex ' krunkshox' mcguinness just won the two day naet series final at mt hood oregon against the likes of curtis keene, mitch ropelato, cody kelly, and kyle warner on his smuggler!!

Robtre
    UM OK so yesterday I took the Smuggler to Lake Norman State Park in Troutman NC for a ride, and I only had an hour before dark. The trail I chose was Laurel Loop one of my favorites, a fast, flowy trail with a few small climbs, a few small downhills, nothing really technical, a few jumps, and lots of pumps. I beat my PR my 6 minutes! At first, I was riding the bike kinda timidly, but about halfway through I geared up and mashed like a single speeder and I was really ripping. OMG this bike is fun and holds speed very very well!
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    UM OK so yesterday I took the Smuggler to Lake Norman State Park in Troutman NC for a ride, and I only had an hour before dark. The trail I chose was Laurel Loop one of my favorites, a fast, flowy trail with a few small climbs, a few small downhills, nothing really technical, a few jumps, and lots of pumps. I beat my PR my 6 minutes! At first, I was riding the bike kinda timidly, but about halfway through I geared up and mashed like a single speeder and I was really ripping. OMG this bike is fun and holds speed very very well!
    there you go!! nice!! glad to hear it!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Grip it and rip it.
    I pre ordered a Smuggler with Pikes. Can't wait to ride it!!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thinking of moving my honzo parts over to an xl smuggler. But I've got a 140mm pike. Deal breaker? I can't see taking the time to lower it 10mm to be worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    many of us ride 140 forks on the Smug. depends on your terrain and preferences. it's only 10mm try it as is and go from there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is everyone riding with 170 cranks? I know that stock build is that. I have a spare one brand new Sram X1 but they are 175 . Feels stupid to order another one...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey mate,
    I run mine with 175 cranks. You learn pretty fast to to ride without hitting the pedal on rocks etc. is it worth buying a whole new set no, would I want to run 170 cranks yes

I also ran 140mm fork pike on mine I dropped it down to 130 and it I think rides better now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    175 here.

mtbr member
    also have 175mm cranks and you learn quickly on when not to peddle and also bring back the ratchet pedaling haha!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    I'm considering a Smuggler, but they are slim pickens in my area with one dealer within a 35 mile area and none in stock. It looks like in will be at least two months until I can get a chance to ride one and I'm trying to size myself. I'm 6' 35" inseam and with long legs I find Minimal cock pit room on some large bikes. What are some of you guys riding with similar height and legs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hi
    Anyone riding it for long rides?
    How capable is it when you doing arround 80km 2000meters rides?
    Mostly I do 40/50km rides with 1000meters, but once a month (average) I go for longer rides.
    I need a bike that must be a do it all, I like to have fun with the bike and grab a descend, BUT I am NOT into enduro stuff.
    ty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonpt View Post
    Hi
    Mostly I do 40/50km rides with 1000meters, but once a month (average) I go for longer rides.
    I need a bike that must be a do it all, I like to have fun with the bike and grab a descend, BUT I am NOT into enduro stuff.
    ty
    The smuggler is a great do it all bike for sure. Great at climbing and even better at descending. Definitely comfortable on longer rides. I did the two rides below on consecutive days and it was great!

https://www.strava.com/activities/375821213

https://www.strava.com/activities/375821344
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Dear mrbiker040 thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Dear mrbiker040 thanks for the input
    your very welcome!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Hi
    ty
    The first real ride(the others were parking lot tests) on my smuggler was 37km with 1680m of climbing... Went great! I came from a bandit 29 that was a little lighter but all my strava PR's got slaughtered that day going up and downhill!

A friend of mine is doing a 4day trek through the dolomites on his smuggler right now (i heared figures of 90km with 4000meters of climbing on day 3...)

mtbr member
    about to put on a set of 30mm ID Light Bicycle carbon rims on the smuggler with Maxxis Minions 2.3 F & R (HR2 rear and DHF front)! Can't wait!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bettes View Post
    The first real ride(the others were parking lot tests) on my smuggler was 37km with 1680m of climbing... Went great! I came from a bandit 29 that was a little lighter but all my strava PR's got slaughtered that day going up and downhill!

A friend of mine is doing a 4day trek through the dolomites on his smuggler right now (i heared figures of 90km with 4000meters of climbing on day 3...)
    Hi bettes,
    great input many thanks, pls share more about the 90k/4k if your freind survives thats insane!

mtbr member
    I put the wide carbon rims on yesterday, they look awesome!!

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

will definitely be testing these out this weekend!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi bettes,
    great input many thanks, pls share more about the 90k/4k if your freind survives thats insane!
    That is me. We did have to shorten the 90km dayff due to a crash of one rider in our group. But we still did more then 9000m of climbing in four days. The smuggler was just perfect the trip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Who would guess that was u 😊
    Awesome rides Pieter again thanks for all inputs, have fun!

Enviado do meu GT-I9505 através de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Mtbiker040, how s that Carbon rims working out?

mtbr member
    totally awesome!!

with the DHRII/DHF minions at 20psi F / 22 psi rear, the traction is unbelievable, supreme confidence from the first pedalstroke

the rolling resistance is high (riding xc and flow style trails) and I'm getting used to it (legs getting sore again lol).

Overall, wide carbon rims are definitely awesome. I'm going to rock the minions through the winter for sure.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    hi mtbiker040,
    With carbon wheels how much weight you won compared to previous model?
    What is your current total bike weight?
    ty
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker040 View Post
    I put the wide carbon rims on yesterday, they look awesome!!

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

will definitely be testing these out this weekend!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    mtbiker040 - is your rear tyre clearance Ok with the wider rims? Does the DHR tyre rub at all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by groundskeeperwilly View Post
    mtbiker040 - is your rear tyre clearance Ok with the wider rims? Does the DHR tyre rub at all?
    it doesn't rub but it is very close, I will go take a picture for you:

Smuggler-zf94exth.jpg
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for that picture - looks like there is more clearance there than there is with the Schwalbe I've had on. I had kind of ruled the DHR11 out as I thought it might be a bit big but that looks OK!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The picture speaks for itself, but I can also confirm a 2.3 dhr2 fits fine. Great tire front and rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hi,
    Anyone can compare the smuggler climbing ability against cannondale TRIGGER carbon ?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Hi,
    Anyone can compare the smuggler climbing ability against cannondale TRIGGER carbon ?
    Thanks

I have never ridden a trigger but I can tell you the smuggler climbs great!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I could not sort a demo yet

mtbr member
    Smuggler-y2al9hyh.jpg

Smuggler-vs0ciyrh.jpg

I <3 this bike!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is everyone still digging the smuggler? I rented one in Moab and really enjoyed it. It was quite a change from my SC Bronson but I loved the geometry. A shorter travel 29er would be a better bike for my local trails. I am also considering the new Spec Stumpjumper 29 as my LBS is a dealer but I hate proprietary parts and PF BB's. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the smuggler, I just hope I won't miss the travel on my occasional trips to CO for the odd enduro race. I'm 6'3" which is why I think 29ers are probably better for me...I had a Yeti SB 95 just didn't get along with the geo but I was fast on it. I'm thinking smuggler with some good wheels...either roval fattie's or NOX will be killer!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    6 months in and i think i like it better with every ride. to me it's that good.

mtbr member
    oops double post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron81fire View Post
    ...I had a Yeti SB 95 just didn't get along with the geo but I was fast on it.
    Love to hear how you'd compare you're old SB95 with the smuggler...

I was thinking of making this change.

mtbr member
    Well ive been told my smuggler frame won't be comming in November and may not even arrive before xmas can't get a date on arrival from uk distributors.LBS doing everything it can.Ordered it in september totally gutted.

mtbr member
    Is everyone still digging the smuggler? I rented one in Moab and really enjoyed it. It was quite a change from my SC Bronson but I loved the geometry. A shorter travel 29er would be a better bike for my local trails. I am also considering the new Spec Stumpjumper 29 as my LBS is a dealer but I hate proprietary parts and PF BB's. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the smuggler, I just hope I won't miss the travel on my occasional trips to CO for the odd enduro race. I'm 6'3" which is why I think 29ers are probably better for me...I had a Yeti SB 95 just didn't get along with the geo but I was fast on it. I'm thinking smuggler with some good wheels...either roval fattie's or NOX will be killer!
    don't hesitate, go smuggler all the way. I put 35mm OD - 30mm ID light bicycle wheels on mine (pics in the post above yours) running Minions at 22r/20f psi. I'm 176lbs, ~ 190lbs with gear, with the suspension set up properly (33% sag) I have never bottomed out, great traction.

you would have to spend allot more money with specialized to get the same level of components.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    moman,

I had an aluminum SB 95 with a solid build. I always felt behind the curve with that bike, literally. I always struggled linking up consecutive turns (s-bends) without running wide. It could have been technique, but something I could not overcome. Being a former DH guy even though I live in TX I purchased a Carbon Bronson with Derby carbon rims to try the "enduro" thing. I really like this bike, it is a blast...but I am noticeably slower on flatter XC trails as well as rough trails such as Whole Enchilada in Moab. Smaller wheels just don't keep momentum in pedally rough terrain. Most of my local guys ride Spec Camber Evos, and one of them rode my back tire the whole time in moab this year. I was impressed with the with terrain and speed that camber could handle. So I decided to rent a XL smuggler and give the short travel 29 a go.

We rode Mag 7 all the way out Portal if you are familiar with Moab. Being a rental, the suspension was not set up perfect and possibly a little clapped out. It had heavy wheels and tubed tires (3 pinch flats). I killed it on that bike! I could tell it had less travel than my bronson but is just railed everything. The long reach fit me perfect and I could be aggressive over the front no matter how steep the trails. I couldn't do that on my yeti. I think it would take an act of God to endo the smuggler, that tire is out there! What surprised me the most is that it handled awesome. It was super easy to manual and once I got used to the big wheels again I never felt like I was running wide in the corners. It just turned and stuck. My buddy who had been riding my back wheel all week on his camber could not hang with me on the smuggler. I hadn't been on it more than 30 min when he commented about how much faster I was. I guess my stature and riding style just suit a 29er better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I still have two transitions in my garage, a 26" Covert V2 and Blindside DH/Freeride bike. I have the bug to get back on a transition...who needs carbon! I just want to make sure that you guys are liking yours and haven't run into any issues. Also been looking at Canfield Riot and Evil Following...but I'm seeing issues with both. Plus they aren't available until next year. I'm just surprised the Smuggler hasn't been getting the press and excitement of those other two although the few reviews have been really favorable.

mtbr member
    I think it would take an act of God to endo the smuggler.
    this is so true!!! I hop on my friends CX bikes and I call them endo machines lol.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My 5cent. I had a Bandit 29 v1, really liked it but a guy wanted to buy it. Ordered then a Smuggler. I have now done only a couple of rides (two of them 5h+) and I love my Smuggler. It clearly has a stiffer back end. Bandit had a quite short cockpit, Smuggler has more room. You really don't feel that it has less travel. Looking forward to my new rides with it.

mtbr member
    So, who's a Clydesdale riding this thing? I'm really interested, but I need a stiff bike.

My current ride is a 2011 RIP9. It's definitely burly enough. The tubes on this bike look a little smaller, and even though people say it's stiff, how many of you are pushing 250?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    So, who's a Clydesdale riding this thing? I'm really interested, but I need a stiff bike.

My current ride is a 2011 RIP9. It's definitely burly enough. The tubes on this bike look a little smaller, and even though people say it's stiff, how many of you are pushing 250?

Thanks!
    I can't comment on the Smuggler, however I had a first gen alloy RIP 9 as well as a '14 Process 111 (which I recently replaced with Evil's Following but haven't yet ridden due to recovering from knee surgery ). Obviously, demo the Smuggler if you can.

Just wanna let you know the Process 111 is burly as hell (my small frame weighed a hair under 8lbs, incl Monarch shock, headset, seatpost clamp, and rear thru axle), and may very well be a good choice for a clyde given the frame's stiffness as well as the high compression damping from the stock Monarch's smaller air can--lighter riders like myself would probably do better modifying the Monarch with a larger volume Debonair can (as suggested on other boards).

Aside from the Smug, other burlier frames include the Phantom and Riot.

mxl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I took mine just yesterday, (2015 frame, 2016 components, a few € saved, and avoided to wait until Feb) I immediatly noticed internal cables rattling, anyone reduced or stopped the noise?

Looking forward for a serious ride!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slo_rider View Post
    Obviously, demo the Smuggler if you can.

Aside from the Smug, other burlier frames include the Phantom and Riot.
    Looking at Phantom and Riot, and I can source and demo those locally, so I'm fine.

That said, in every online comparison to the Phantom I've seen, the Smuggler comes out on top. I can't demo it, but I'm cool taking the risk if I get enough info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl View Post
    I took mine just yesterday, (2015 frame, 2016 components, a few € saved, and avoided to wait until Feb) I immediatly noticed internal cables rattling, anyone reduced or stopped the noise?

Looking forward for a serious ride!!
    there is a thread in the Transition forum about how to silence them, there are several ways I have heard of. I haven't done it myself, I have actually just like shoved the cables in at the top and it stops them temporarily, haven't done the more permanent fix yet.

Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    When I built mine I installed 3 or 4 small zip ties evenly spaced on each cable/hose and left the tails full length. No rattle!
    I love this bike!!! I have had a lot of carbon bikes and I gotta tell ya, this thing just feels so awesome. I don't think about what it is made of cause it just feels so good. Handling, stiffness, stability is all great! Reminds my of my first dually (98' Turner Burner) except waaaay better!!!

mtbr member
    6 months in and i think i like it better with every ride. to me it's that good.
    Agreed!!!

cnut
    The tips I've seen include:

• stuffing bits of a nerf ball up into the down tube (or some moto-foam)
    • putting cable ties around the cables but don't cut the long tail off - that helps stop the cables moving around
    • putting cloth tape around the cables
    • using some bigger, tougher, tighter cable ties at the entry/exit points
    • wearing earplugs or learning to ignore it

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post

Thanks!
    240 and having no problems!

mtbr member
    For the cable noise fix, a buddy of mine and I used the fuzzy side of some Velcro. I bought like 5 feet worth of it, taped the brake line and shifter housing together, and I cut the fuzzy side of the velcro in half and stuck it on either side of the cables. It was a pretty snug fit to get in the down tube. Works great and no noise at all. It shouldn't be to difficult to take apart later if I need a new shifter cable housing or something.

The more I ride the bike the more I'm glad I got it. Love the thing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by groundskeeperwilly View Post
    240 and having no problems!
    Rock on.

mtbr member
    great review, great build!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mxl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    @MostChillin, your smuggler seems the Batman bicycle!

Here is the mine:
    Smuggler-22591083717_3e41c30218_k.jpg
    It's a 2015 frame with 2016 kit "3".

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

My little black beauty.

Smuggler-img_0351.jpg
    Coming off a SB95C. Bike is solid and feels like a big wheeled slalom bike. build details below.
    Transition Smuggler - MW's Bike Check - Vital MTB
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl View Post
    @MostChillin, your smuggler seems the Batman bicycle!

Here is the mine:

Name:	22591083717_3e41c30218_k.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	1029362
    It's a 2015 frame with 2016 kit "3".
    It looks like a familiar tuscan landscape...

mxl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zoorlen View Post
    It looks like a familiar tuscan landscape...
    Yyyyepp! ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Finished my build and now have around 200 miles on it. My travel plans (via car) allowed me to get a lot of riding in the last couple of weeks both on familiar and unfamiliar terrain that included my local spots, DuPont in WNC and some old riding spots in the Mid-Atlantic. A good mix of fast, flowy XC style trails with some decent elevation and some more technical terrain. A good break-in and test for a new sled.

The Smuggler works absolutely great for where I ride (SC/NC) and how I ride (I've been told fast and aggressive for an old, fat guy). My primary trails are mostly flow with punchy climbs - there is plenty of flat ground to cover. The Smuggler is great on this as I don't feel "over biked" but it really shined in WNC at DuPont with the longer descents - an absolute blast. I'm still playing with the rear suspension setup but I'm currently running about 36%-37% sag with mid-range rebound and that is working for me currently. I'm 220 geared up and it's plush yet responsive with these settings. If there is one attribute I would use to describe this bike is it's "plush" when setup properly.

I absolutely love the steep seat angle as it's easy on my knees. The front wheel is out there as others have pointed out and if you don't already know how to manual, good luck on this bike. It's long and the chainstays aren't trendy super short. It's still playful but it absolutely rockets downhill and is very stable. It works well on the flat boring stuff and climbs well enough. I'm a sit and grind guy and it works great like this - when you stand, it will go but it will not rocket uphill. And with that front wheel out there due to the 67.5 HTA, if you get lazy on your climbs, that front wheel will want to wonder.

I'm very pleased with my decision. I considered all of the close competitors including the Following (STA too slack + PF BB), Phantom (ordered one but the order was botched so I moved on), Riot (more bike than I want + misaligned frames + shock issues), and 111 (PF BB). I got to ride most of these and a number of others prior to purchasing the Smuggler which I didn't get to test ride - I'm happy I ended up with a Smuggler.

It's not the coolest because it's not carbon and it's not going to win an Excel battles on MTBR because it doesn't have the shortest seat stays but it is a very well rounded, do it all bike. And I'm really impressed with how well finished the frame is - all hydroformed tubing with robust, smooth welds. Clearly Transition is moving up in the world!

Negatives or concerns? Internal cable routing is clean but can be noisy however there are remedies for this. And while not necessary a negative but rather to be aware of, the BB is low. I can't imagine running 175s on this bike. That low BB gives this bike some of it's charm...

With this build I went with 165mm Atlas Cinch cranks with an Absolute Black oval ring - dream set-up as they both work really well for me. And I'll be adding a 9.8 Fall Line dropper as soon as they are in stock as well as different tires for fall/winter - DHF F and Tomahawk R.

A couple of bad cell phone pics:

Attachment 1029356

Attachment 1029357

Let me know if there are any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks.
    any idea on weight?

I really want to pull the trigger on a smuggler but, always struggle with the weight on transition bikes and builds... seems pretty difficult to get a smuggler to the 27 lbs...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    to each his own but the weight weenie-ism of the day has gone too far. short of full on racing it just isn't worth it. do you want strong bombproof components and a creak free fork you can trust? wheels you can trust to carry you long far and fast over mountain terrain? heavy forbid, that bike might weigh 31 pounds. i bet 27 is doable and it would take all the bits you already know, then the lightest carbonium rims on the market and 500g racing rubber. it would render the bike of limited practicality for hard or technical terrain. what's that saying, horses for courses or something.

Formerly of Kent
    Sorry, but weight doesn't equal strength, durability or maintenance free operation. You don't have to be an engineer to understand that.

If that's how you justify it to yourself, cool, but its simply not true.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    you could have the bike setup light for the climbs and when you get to the top you could pull all the heavy componentry out of your back pack and swap out the light parts for weightier bits and bomb that descent!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    -=snifff!!=- What's that you say?
    Last edited by targnik; 12-06-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Sorry, but weight doesn't equal strength, durability or maintenance free operation. You don't have to be an engineer to understand that.

If that's how you justify it to yourself, cool, but its simply not true.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    you got me enginerd. feather weight wheelsets and xc racing tires are equally at home on burly mountain descents as anything else. you nailed it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 356