Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 200 of 724

Thread: Smuggler

  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,292
    Riders around 6'3"....what size have you pre-ordered or contemplated? I'm thinking XL. Anyone else between sizes? Most other bikes it's easy to size up for the longer reach but these bikes are long already. Hmmm....

  2. #102
    There's always next year.
    Reputation: padrefan1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Riders around 6'3"....what size have you pre-ordered or contemplated? I'm thinking XL. Anyone else between sizes? Most other bikes it's easy to size up for the longer reach but these bikes are long already. Hmmm....
    Another 6'3" guy-- Not pre-ordered, but if I could convince the wife to let me pick up one more bike, I'm also positive it would be an XL based off the geo numbers-- according to Transition's fit guide, we'd fit in XL range, where as 'most' other fit guides seem to have the 6'3" on the half and half between L and XLs.

    My 2 cents...

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    T Doug, thanks for the great review.

    Any news on the Evil Following?

    Smugglers got the best geometry for a 29er I've seen so far, except maybe for the Mondraker Crafty.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tenacious Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    T Doug, thanks for the great review.

    Any news on the Evil Following?

    Smugglers got the best geometry for a 29er I've seen so far, except maybe for the Mondraker Crafty.
    More info due early next month from what I understand.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slo_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    244

    clearance for 27.5+ tires?

    Yo Transition,

    Any idea if the current crop of "27.5+ tires" (WTB's 27.5 x 2.8" Trailblazer, Panaracer's 27.5 x 3.0" Fat B Nimble, or Vee's 27.5 x 3.25" Trax Fatty) will fit in the Smuggler's swingarm?

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by slo_rider View Post
    Yo Transition,

    Any idea if the current crop of "27.5+ tires" (WTB's 27.5 x 2.8" Trailblazer, Panaracer's 27.5 x 3.0" Fat B Nimble, or Vee's 27.5 x 3.25" Trax Fatty) will fit in the Smuggler's swingarm?
    Based no our early indications, yes... most likely the WTB option will fit in the Smuggler. Limitations in the tire clearance are primarily radial (diameter), not lateral (width). At least the WTB tire is not actually all that much wider, and will most likely work. I can't speak to the 3.0 or 3.25 options though.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    This bike is close to obtaining Unicorn status! Can't wait for mine to come in.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slo_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Based no our early indications, yes... most likely the WTB option will fit in the Smuggler. Limitations in the tire clearance are primarily radial (diameter), not lateral (width). At least the WTB tire is not actually all that much wider, and will most likely work. I can't speak to the 3.0 or 3.25 options though.
    Thanks for the info!

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    23
    Same here, I pre-ordered the complete 2 XL in Real Teal color last week. I was expecting to get it in late Jan - early Feb but now the rep told me that they are expecting the bikes to hit US early March(!!) and it will then take another 2-4 weeks to get the bike to Europe..

    Probably I was just late with my order and that's why will get the bike so late.

  10. #110
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,917

    Smuggler

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    This bike is close to obtaining Unicorn status! Can't wait for mine to come in.
    Thought you got a Ripley?

    Smuggler sounds more fun IMO anyway!

    Edit - May you should just buy a banner ad with your current bike status so we can all keep up.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    I did have a Ripley for about 3 weeks. Great bike. Still had the Smuggler on order so it had to go to make room. Currently bikeless and it's killing me!

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Good idea on the banner ad

  13. #113
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,917

    Smuggler

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I did have a Ripley for about 3 weeks.
    Hahaha... man you are something else!

    Looking forward to some Smuggler ride reports. I am 100% happy with my Phantom (especially since I picked up a CCDBi) but the Smuggler looks like a really fun bike. I loved my Bandit 29.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    I've been thinking DB Coil...

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slo_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Based no our early indications, yes... most likely the WTB option will fit in the Smuggler. Limitations in the tire clearance are primarily radial (diameter), not lateral (width). At least the WTB tire is not actually all that much wider, and will most likely work. I can't speak to the 3.0 or 3.25 options though.
    sorry for quoting from another thread, but interesting reading over here: it sounds like WTB's 27.5 x 2.8" Trailblazer diameter is a bit smaller than a 2.4" 29er tire (my 2.4" Ardents have approx 743mm diameter mounted on WTB i23 rims). it also sounds like they need to be mounted on a wide rim (ie 45mm) in order to get them at or close to their 2.8" nominal width...

    anyway, ones' bottom bracket would drop by about 0.3" if switching from a 2.4" Ardent, if Trailblazers are 727mm diameter (and BB would drop by over 0.6" if Trailblazers are only 710mm in diameter):

    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    If WTB Trailblazers are 727mm in diameter as reported...
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    They're not, though. Trailblazers are about 710mm in diameter.

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,555

    Smuggler

    Just post this in the Banshee forum as I've just come across it:

    http://www.descent-world.co.uk/2014/...nshee-phantom/

  17. #117
    Franzitioned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    So after putting in a speculative pre-order request a few weeks back, I now have an XL Smuggler frame in teal blue on its way to the store, to be fitted with a headset & 140mm Pike. OH YEAH. Should be with me in the next 3-4 days.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,555

    Smuggler

    I've just seen a Scout in the flesh and the quality is top notch, I'm sure your Smuggler will be the same!

  19. #119
    Franzitioned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    I'm sure it will be! I tried ordering a Bandit 29 back in 2012, but they were so popular they were all pre-sold before they hit the shops here in the UK.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by slo_rider View Post
    sorry for quoting from another thread, but interesting reading over here: it sounds like WTB's 27.5 x 2.8" Trailblazer diameter is a bit smaller than a 2.4" 29er tire (my 2.4" Ardents have approx 743mm diameter mounted on WTB i23 rims). it also sounds like they need to be mounted on a wide rim (ie 45mm) in order to get them at or close to their 2.8" nominal width...

    anyway, ones' bottom bracket would drop by about 0.3" if switching from a 2.4" Ardent, if Trailblazers are 727mm diameter (and BB would drop by over 0.6" if Trailblazers are only 710mm in diameter):
    SnapWidget | Kevin playing around with 27.5 plus 2.8" tires on his Smuggler.

  21. #121
    Franzitioned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    Well, here she is:

    Smuggler-img_1517.jpg

    I'm pleased with the colour; the teal really pops. Crappy phone pics don't do it justice.
    I have a 140 Pike ready to plug in, so the next thing will be to choose some good stiff wheels. I've got a few options in mind. The rest of the build will be sensible (for now) - 1x10, SLX brakes etc.

    Can't wait to get it built, and get out in the mud!

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slo_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Well, here she is:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1517.jpg 
Views:	1684 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	958170

    I'm pleased with the colour; the teal really pops. Crappy phone pics don't do it justice.
    I have a 140 Pike ready to plug in, so the next thing will be to choose some good stiff wheels. I've got a few options in mind. The rest of the build will be sensible (for now) - 1x10, SLX brakes etc.

    Can't wait to get it built, and get out in the mud!
    Looks great! Can you weigh that bad boy and post actual weight / frame size before you build it up? Thanks!

  23. #123
    Franzitioned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    Size is XL. Comes in at 3.71kg on a kitchen scale, but that's with the Hope headset, and a good amount of cable outer looped through the frame.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slo_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Size is XL. Comes in at 3.71kg on a kitchen scale, but that's with the Hope headset, and a good amount of cable outer looped through the frame.
    Thanks for the info!

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    75
    Franz, where are you from?

  26. #126
    Franzitioned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    South East UK.
    I think we got lucky with shipping dates

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    75
    Haha yeah I'd say so! Or something like that...

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Franz, looks nice. Where are you riding in the South East? I'll keep an eye out for it.
    How tall are you and what length stem are you planning on running?

    Cheers

  29. #129
    Franzitioned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    Hey loamranger,
    I'm 6'4", going to start off with a 50mm stem & see how that feels. Might go shorter if there's room.

    My local woods are Epping Forest, with a few trips to Swinley & Surrey Hills. Whereabouts are you?

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Hey loamranger,
    I'm 6'4", going to start off with a 50mm stem & see how that feels. Might go shorter if there's room.

    My local woods are Epping Forest, with a few trips to Swinley & Surrey Hills. Whereabouts are you?
    I'm in London and Forest of Dean. I ride Swinley and Surrey Hills sometimes. I'll look out for you. Enjoy the new ride and give us a review when you have time.

    Cheers

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Size is XL. Comes in at 3.71kg on a kitchen scale, but that's with the Hope headset, and a good amount of cable outer looped through the frame.
    Have you built this up yet? Curious to see how it looks and how much it weighs.

  32. #132
    Franzitioned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by asin View Post
    Have you built this up yet? Curious to see how it looks and how much it weighs.
    Hi asin, no not yet. Been busy with work & moving house! Wheels (Mavic EN821 on XT M788 w. DT Swiss Comp spokes) are ordered, and I've got some bits of finishing kit. I'm hoping to buy a lightly-used complete 1x10 drivetrain from a buddy. After that it's just brakes and tyres.
    I'll definitely post pics & info when she's finished.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Well, here she is:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1517.jpg 
Views:	1684 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	958170

    I'm pleased with the colour; the teal really pops. Crappy phone pics don't do it justice.
    I have a 140 Pike ready to plug in, so the next thing will be to choose some good stiff wheels. I've got a few options in mind. The rest of the build will be sensible (for now) - 1x10, SLX brakes etc.

    Can't wait to get it built, and get out in the mud!
    Hey. Beyond pumped for you. I'm considering this bike myself in a medium over a new stumpy evo 29. My question is will a 140 fork your putting on mess anything up? Did transition say a range is ok? I'm all for more squish and to up the BB height for pedal strikes. Just want to know your motive I guess. I hope to get mine soon

  34. #134
    Franzitioned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Moroney167 View Post
    Hey. Beyond pumped for you. I'm considering this bike myself in a medium over a new stumpy evo 29. My question is will a 140 fork your putting on mess anything up? Did transition say a range is ok? I'm all for more squish and to up the BB height for pedal strikes. Just want to know your motive I guess. I hope to get mine soon
    Hey Moroney167
    I can't answer that fully 'cos I haven't built it yet! I'm only going with the 140 up front as it's what I have available. I'm pretty sure Transition say it is absolutely fine.
    I'm thinking the only slight problem might be making the HA a little slacker than it should be - not an issue for many I'm sure, but I ride a lot of tight woodsy trails. Lifting the BB a few mm is the least of my worries. I can always get the fork dropped to 130mm further down the line - TF Tuned here in the UK will do it for 60.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Hey everyone,

    i just ordered a smuggler frame in xl but i am still concerned if its the right size for me. I am about 6,7 feet and tend to ride small frames because of their agility and my bmx/dirt background. I just like a playful riding style, throw the bike around and stuff. My last frame was an on one codeine wich had very small reach (427mm). So i hope i did the right decision and the smuggler xl will be still a playful fun bike and not a "high speed tank". Any thoughts?

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    6 feet 7 inches?

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Yes, 202cm!

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    295
    About to pull the trigger on a XL, but wanted to get some ride reports on aggressive terrain. How has the Smuggler handled on jumps and drops? Been seeing Luke Strobel rip the Evil on some huge hits, wondering if the Smuggler is built to do the same. Obviously Luke is a beast and I ain't no Luke, so thoughts on 3-5' drops to tranny and high speed jumps?

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    129
    Just ordered one in satin black. Can't wait to get it.

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by beckma View Post
    Hey everyone,

    i just ordered a smuggler frame in xl but i am still concerned if its the right size for me. I am about 6,7 feet and tend to ride small frames because of their agility and my bmx/dirt background. I just like a playful riding style, throw the bike around and stuff. My last frame was an on one codeine wich had very small reach (427mm). So i hope i did the right decision and the smuggler xl will be still a playful fun bike and not a "high speed tank". Any thoughts?
    Definately XL and run a short stem.

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by beckma View Post
    Yes, 202cm!
    Even XL Smuggler may not be long enough to be able to run a 40mm or shorter stem. What do you normally run? The 29er with the longest reach would be a Mondraker Crafty in XL. But they are all sold out for 2015 unfortunately.

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Even XL Smuggler may not be long enough to be able to run a 40mm or shorter stem. What do you normally run? The 29er with the longest reach would be a Mondraker Crafty in XL. But they are all sold out for 2015 unfortunately.
    I usually run a 50mm stem. Today i`ve had the chance to hop on a scout size L (with 50 mm stem) and now i definitely think that i need a XL smuggler. It may sound weird but the L Scout felt shorter than the codeine despite it has 3cm more reach. I also thought about a banshee phantom/prime but the smuggler just seems to be the perfect mix/match for a 29er shred machine. The mondraker may be an option but imho it is one of the most ugly frames out there...

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by beckma View Post
    Hey everyone,

    i just ordered a smuggler frame in xl but i am still concerned if its the right size for me. I am about 6,7 feet and tend to ride small frames because of their agility and my bmx/dirt background. I just like a playful riding style, throw the bike around and stuff. My last frame was an on one codeine wich had very small reach (427mm). So i hope i did the right decision and the smuggler xl will be still a playful fun bike and not a "high speed tank". Any thoughts?
    I'm 6'6" with a 35" inseam and the seat tube numbers on the Smuggler are really short. My 150mm KS Lev wouldn't be long enough to get me to full leg extension. However, the LEV's min insertion line is way up the post. The 150mm Reverb Stealth has 3cm of additional usable length compared to the LEV and would do it.

    I would measure up your current ride, see how much leeway you have and compare it to the Smuggler seat tube length.

    Also, the Smuggler has a very short head tube so you'll almost certainly be running a bunch of stem spacers or a higher rise bar. I don't understand why XLs need such a short head tube.

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    528
    are you sure about the seat tube being too short? my 150 lev is currently on my norco range and sits about 3cms or so above the min insert line for max comfort seat height when extended. i'm 6'5" with nearly 37 inch inseam. the frame specs for seat tube lengths on each bike is 495mm for the smuggler and 510 for the range. unless they measure differently, that means my Lev is going to work fine on the Smug xl. close to min insertion line, but that's fine. frankly, even if it was about 10mm under it i would probably run it, but i should be well within the range.

    and with that settled, i pulled the pin. bike is now on order!

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    My vecnum moveloc has 200 mm adjustment travel, so i am sure the seattube length will fit with me. I think a comparatively short headtube on larger frames is something that is neccesary to keep the joint of toptube/downtube, respectively the frame strong and stiff. I think that is rather a problem with 26" / 650b frames where you generally have a lower stack than with 29ers.

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    155
    I'm 6'4" w/ 34" inseam. I have a XL Smuggler with a 125 Lev DX maxed out at the min. insertion line. It just makes it for full leg extension. My 6'5" buddy said he'd want just a hair more.

    As far as HT stack, I'm running 1cm spacers under a zero rise 50mm stem and a RF SIXC bar(can't remember the rise). I do have the fork at 140 though and tend to like a pretty low bar. Generally I use less spacers under my stems than most people my height.

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bettes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    168
    Out with the pyga and in with a real bike ;-p

    -mannen weten waarom-

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    are you sure about the seat tube being too short? my 150 lev is currently on my norco range and sits about 3cms or so above the min insert line for max comfort seat height when extended. i'm 6'5" with nearly 37 inch inseam. the frame specs for seat tube lengths on each bike is 495mm for the smuggler and 510 for the range. unless they measure differently, that means my Lev is going to work fine on the Smug xl. close to min insertion line, but that's fine. frankly, even if it was about 10mm under it i would probably run it, but i should be well within the range.

    and with that settled, i pulled the pin. bike is now on order!
    Here's my math:
    I have an Enduro 29 XL. It has a 520mm seat tube. I run my LEV right at the min insertion line.
    The XL Smug has a 495mm seat tube (that is a 2.5cm difference!). If I run my LEV at the same level it wouldn't get me there. Luckily the Reverb is 3cm longer, which should be enough.
    The newer Ranges are 510 so if you have 3cm of post to spare then you should be fine.

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    129
    @bettes the pyga is not a bad bike but the smuggler will be better (and I just love my Rapture)

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bettes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    168
    Did you order a large or a medium? So I can stalk you for a test sit! Where did you order it? Sis.nl?

  51. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    129
    @bettes I ordered it at gocycle.de and I ordered a L, will run it with a 35mm stem. You are always welcome to try it once I have it.

  52. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bettes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    168
    Got mine from there to! Perfect setup, would run mine just like that, I can't try it or an order will be placed very fast ;-)

  53. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    204
    Medium Smug on the way!

  54. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    Here is mine!
    Smuggler-1815180-ztl6rqbdlqhk-dsc00568-large.jpg

  55. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by beckma View Post
    Here is mine!
    i've seen that pic somewhere else before

  56. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    528
    does anyone on here speak/read Italiano?

  57. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zoorlen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    does anyone on here speak/read Italiano?
    Yes... Unfortunately I don't speak English that good. Anyway if you need to translate something feel free to ask, I'll do my best.

  58. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    Does anyone know if a WTB Vigilante will fit with the tight clearance around the seatstay bridge?

  59. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by biggusjimmus View Post
    Does anyone know if a WTB Vigilante will fit with the tight clearance around the seatstay bridge?
    i think they will fit. i have both tires. actually i switched on the rear from the Ardent Race to the Minion DHR2 2.3. The Minions make no problems, there ist enough clearance.
    As the WTB Vig has nearly the same dimensions, they will work.
    My Version of the Vig is the AM TCS Version in 2.3, which im running on a Amride 25, the width of the carcass is also 57mm, like the DHR2. The height of the profile looks the same.

  60. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,399
    If you dont have a dealer near you, where can I purchase a smuggler from?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

  61. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kingsRunEast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    If you dont have a dealer near you, where can I purchase a smuggler from?
    DropNZone for the US, North Shore Bike Shop for CA.

    Drop n'Zone mountain bike gear
    front page | northshorebikeshop

  62. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,399
    Hey thanks, now for the which size should I order...lol

    I'm going for the Large my TransAm is a Large and fits me pretty well
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

  63. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by biggusjimmus View Post
    Does anyone know if a WTB Vigilante will fit with the tight clearance around the seatstay bridge?
    Just to update, I've just found out this tyre does rub against the seatstay bridge. The wheel can still spin with a nice motorcycle sound effect. Something to bear in mind when choosing tyres anyway.

  64. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    38
    I second the Vigilante clearance, I fitted my wheelset from an old frame while building a Smuggler for myself - Vigilantes on Halo Vapour carbons. Got 3mm clearance max from the top of the tread to the brace, on a part worn tyre. Width clearance fine though.

  65. #165
    App-a-LATCH-un
    Reputation: Appalachian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by pieterp View Post
    I ordered a L, will run it with a 35mm stem.
    How tall are you?
    Also, it would be nice if everyone speced their heights and which size ended up working for them. I am 5foot10 and squarely in between the two sizes. The Large seems really long on paper. Thanks!
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

  66. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43
    so i ordered a 120mm pike thinking of the banshee phantom, how would the 120 work on the smuggler

  67. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bettes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
    How tall are you?
    Also, it would be nice if everyone speced their heights and which size ended up working for them. I am 5foot10 and squarely in between the two sizes. The Large seems really long on paper. Thanks!
    I know Pieter and his bike (they are the reason i'm waiting for a smuggler richt now) he is about your size. I'm 5'11 and came from a medium bandit29 that felt short... I'm using a long singlespeed with a 35mm stem aswell and diggin it fully! Go long with a mini stem and enjoy the cornering at speed like a full on dhbike!

  68. #168
    Franzitioned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes1 View Post
    so i ordered a 120mm pike thinking of the banshee phantom, how would the 120 work on the smuggler
    Not great. BB would be too low, HA too steep. Get a 130mm spring assy fitted, it's what the bike was designed around

  69. #169
    App-a-LATCH-un
    Reputation: Appalachian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by bettes View Post
    I know Pieter and his bike (they are the reason i'm waiting for a smuggler richt now) he is about your size. I'm 5'11 and came from a medium bandit29 that felt short... I'm using a long singlespeed with a 35mm stem aswell and diggin it fully! Go long with a mini stem and enjoy the cornering at speed like a full on dhbike!
    Thanks for your feedback man!
    Ugh. I'm getting older (40yo) and feel my flexibility isn't what it once was. Afraid the large w/ 35mm stem is still longer than my v1.5 covert with 60 mm stem. So on the fence I ride.
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

  70. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
    How tall are you?
    Also, it would be nice if everyone speced their heights and which size ended up working for them. I am 5foot10 and squarely in between the two sizes. The Large seems really long on paper. Thanks!
    I am 6' tall and running a Large frame with a 35mm or 50mm stem depending on the terrain and type of riding 535mm for gravity runs, 50mm for XCish runs).

  71. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbiker040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    255
    I am considering getting a smuggler, I really like Transition as a company and love their products. I started thinking Scout since 650b would be more akin to the 26" '08 FSR I am riding now, but, I really think 29'er is the way to go, especially since I could also put 27+ wheels/tires on it.

    I mainly ride XC trails but they are very technical with some nice downhills, I really like the component spec the Smuggler 1 has as well as it's geometry.

    I'm 5'7" tall and was wondering if Medium would be the right fit? I would definitely go short stem.

    Any advice or comments would be welcome!

  72. #172
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bettes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    168
    Fresh smugglage... I want this color to have my babies!
    Smuggler-11731618_10152820689927396_1840923039016337706_o.jpgSmuggler-11700680_10152820689932396_2866094945483039901_o.jpgSmuggler-11222450_10152820689942396_2493133482958326519_o.jpg

  73. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbiker040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    255
    that looks awesome!! I like the decals on the pike!!

  74. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    226
    Oh FraK! That looks amazing.
    Fantastic work with the matchy-match as close as you could get.

  75. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbiker040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    255
    can anyone comment on a size M being ok for a 5'7" rider?
    thanks

  76. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beer_coffee_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    755
    Best to look at the reach of the smuggler and compare it to your old bike. Take the old bike's stem length into consideration and what stem length you are planning for the smuggler. This will also give you an idea on ETT. I personally wouldn't go much longer then 50mm. At just under 5'9 I would ride a medium.

  77. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    528
    at your height, why not consider the Scout? i'm not sure i understand wagon wheelers for people under 5'10". big lanky bikes for big lanky people. the leverage is there to work over the centrifugal force of the wheels. proportionality, wha?

  78. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbiker040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Best to look at the reach of the smuggler and compare it to your old bike. Take the old bike's stem length into consideration and what stem length you are planning for the smuggler. This will also give you an idea on ETT. I personally wouldn't go much longer then 50mm. At just under 5'9 I would ride a medium.
    thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely compare the geo of the smuggler to my current bike (which I feel does fit me very well).

    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    at your height, why not consider the Scout? i'm not sure i understand wagon wheelers for people under 5'10". big lanky bikes for big lanky people. the leverage is there to work over the centrifugal force of the wheels. proportionality, wha?
    Thanks for the reply!

    I have been bouncing back and forth between the smuggler and scout with what you are saying in mind, that for me a 650b might make more sense wheel size wise. I like them both!

  79. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    525
    Are people liking their Smugglers?
    How long have people been riding them?
    I'd be coming from a Yeti SB95 (140mm fork / 127mm rear)....
    I ride aggressively and am wondering if I'd miss the extra travel if I went with a Smuggler.
    Would I be better off going w the Banshee Prime (140mm rear, I think)?

    Any riders out here who were skeptical about less travel...? How do you like the Smuggler?

  80. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    528
    i've had my smug for a couple of months. running a 140 xfusion trace unicrown fork on it. came from a norco shinobi (arguably the original mass market AM 29er) and also have a norco range. live in coastal BC. i ride hard and our trails are very demanding. most people consider them technical and punishing. the smuggler has totally met my expectations. the geo is perfect and i've yet to find a flaw or anything to complain about. the bike nails it. hate to refer to the only real official review out there but those bible o bike guys were very accurate. only the steepest hardest trails we have do i prefer the range. the other 80% the smug is by far the more desirable ride corners like it's on rails and bombs downhill. stiff as hell. i ride it down the local DH course and i just go slower than the range and pick and choose lines more carefully, but not by much. i never even think about the rear travel, it feels like it has more than it does. i've never ridden a banshee prime and i've heard great things about it. never been on an enduro 29 either and i think all these bikes are closer than people think in real in terms of overall capability (yes yes i'm even putting the e29 in the same boat though i'm sure it takes it further...) the smug climbs very well and makes a much better trail bike than the range and other 6 inch travel bikes by a long shot. demo one if you can i think you will be amazed at what it can do and how fun it is to ride. a lot of bike in one package; nimble, climby, descends like a brute. can you tell i like mine?

  81. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    525
    Great, thanks for that review.

  82. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    The Prime is 130mm rear travel btw.

  83. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34
    Has anyone tried a 2.4 Trail Boss in the back?

    edit: read at stw that you can fit one in

  84. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    38
    I am running one now after putting a hole in my vigilante

  85. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    226
    bettes, that is a hot bike. I know I said it above, but it still stands.

    Can't wait for Whistler to see the 2016 reveals. Carbon? At least Orange color and maybe a slightly raised bb.

    I do have fingers crossed for a new job to give some extra money this way, and my Anthem would be on its way out.

  86. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbiker040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    255
    placed an order for a Smuggler at my LBS today! so stoked!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

  87. #187
    The Tyranical Teabagger
    Reputation: cyrjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    407

    My Smuggler

    Realized I never posted my finished Smuggler in this thread. Here it is in all her glory. XTR/Enve/Cane Creek/Lefty and custom Enve decals that I designed:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-2015-06-12-15.03.jpg  

    Smuggler-2015-05-12-07.35.09.jpg  

    Smuggler-10346281_10155444808950075_4627081602289113472_n.jpg  

    Smuggler-21777_10155444809030075_7312585983849399612_n.jpg  

    Smuggler-11149538_10155444808755075_1279466154064123634_n-1-.jpg  

    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

  88. #188
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    226
    That is pretty damn awesome.

  89. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2
    Had my Smuggler since late May and am loving it; however I keep getting a creaking noise from the BB area. I took it back to the LBS and they tightened up the main pivot which was slightly loose. This fixed the issue but a week later it's back; only ridden about 80 miles on it mainly singletrack type riding nothing uber technical. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue and if so what you did to resolve it.

  90. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19
    I solved the problem by greasing the Main pivot axle and taper nuts too
    Don't hesitate to do the same on the rocker pivot axle (to prevent futur creaking noises)
    I 've experience this effectively on my Smug and Patrol.

  91. #191
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2
    Cheers Superpi; I'll give it a go.

  92. #192
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    528
    same creak here. it was my oval chainring come slightly loose. when you build up a new bike there is always going to be some creaks and loosening bits in the first few months- pivots, bb, etc.

    just loving my smuggler. killer bike as i've gone on and on about here. put a monster DHF 2.5 on the front recently. like rowdy sketchy terrain? now THAT's your front tire!

  93. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    40
    Hey superpi did you remove a axle? If so how. I have been chasing the same creaking noise ,I just remove the bolt and tapered nuts and squirted liberal amounts of grease in both sides hope its fix it.

  94. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19
    After removing tapered nuts and screw, just unscrew the axle with a hex key wrench (8mm) on the non drive side. It takes five minutes, very simple.
    Don't forget to respect torques spec: http://www.transitionbikes.com/PDF/2...iew_Patrol.pdf
    hope it 'll help

  95. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guvna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    280
    This bike is soooooooo good! 27.25lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smuggler-img_3261.jpg  

    Smuggler-img_3259.jpg  

    Smuggler-img_3258-1-.jpg  

    Smuggler-img_3260.jpg  


  96. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Eranu View Post
    Had my Smuggler since late May and am loving it; however I keep getting a creaking noise from the BB area. I took it back to the LBS and they tightened up the main pivot which was slightly loose. This fixed the issue but a week later it's back; only ridden about 80 miles on it mainly singletrack type riding nothing uber technical. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue and if so what you did to resolve it.
    I had a creak which seemed to be coming from the BB area but it was actually the non drive side chainstay/dropout pivot. Just tightened it and it has been good ever since.

    Other then that super happy with the Smuggler, much more capable then the 115m travel would suggest.

  97. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MediumDiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    43
    I need some advice from the Smuggler riders out there. I am having a frame warrantied and I'm thinking of selling it to fund a smuggler. The question I have is, should I call around and find a blue medium smuggler and run it, or get my name on the the orange one coming out with a little more tire clearance and possibly different BB height? I have to wait until October for the orange one, which sucks.

    Any of you having problems with rock strikes? I'm running a 2.3 maxxis ardent in the rear, would there be enough clearance in the 2015 frame?

    I have all the parts and a 140mm pike right now with some stans flow wheels with an ardent on the back and a minion 2.3 on the front. I ride North bay area stuff a lot like Annadel, china camp, tamarancho with occasional downieville trips thrown in. Just planning on swapping parts over from my other bike.

  98. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guvna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    280
    The smuggler is really good for Annadel. Yes I have had some pedal strikes but no worse than a specialized, and the low BB is worth the stability. I have a half worn 2.3 Vigilante on back and it fits snug but fine. I have had a lot of bikes and I really like this bike!!! Super stable, very plush and climbs really really well.

  99. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MediumDiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    43
    Sweet, thanks Guvna

  100. #200
    sbd
    sbd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    310
    Guvna what is your build...the weight is impressive! Size? Do you live in Santa Rosa?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 438

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •