Thread: Slacker Covert

mtbr member

Slacker Covert

So I have a 2010 Covert that I enjoy but want a slacker head angle. I had it originally with a 36 and really liked it, but it went on a diet. I put a 150mm revelation on it but the A2C between to 2 forks is 16mm shorter for the Revelation (545 vs 529). The steeper head angle is noticeable. Besides an Angleset, what are the options for going slacker?

How about offset bushings for the shock? Can anyone from transition or anyone who has used them comment on what this would do to the ride of the bike?

Other options?

mtbr member
    I have no affiliation with Transition aside from riding a Bandit, but I got a set of offset bushings to help adjust the geometry to my liking. I've only had everything put together for 2 rides, but no problems with installation or function so far. So far I've only installed one of the offsets, but I have another one in case I want to further slacken/lower things. I like the idea of the offsets since they are relatively simple compared to an angleset, which has given some people headaches. They are also significantly cheaper.

Here is the link to Burgtech who makes offsets for the 2010 Covert:
    Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

Since Burgtech has nothing for the Bandit, I had to use this guy who sells on ebay, but he was reliable and quick to deliver. Another friend has ordered from him and has had a good experience as well.
    Offset Shock bushings | Mounting Hardware | Mount kit | All frames | Proshox | eBay

Good luck. Slack and low is the way forward.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I will look into these.

Any idea how much of a change they made on your Bandit?

Just measured mine with my trusty iPhone app and it came in at 68-69....I would love to get back to 67 or less if possible.

mtbr member
    I think it may vary some from frame to frame but I think you get about 0.5-0.75 degrees slacker and ~0.25 inches lower per offset bushing. I ordered 2, put one in, and am going to ride it for a while. May throw the second one on there in the future.

mtbr member
    Please let us know how you get on, I'd like to get the BB a bit lower on my Covert
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What will happen if i use fox 180mm fork on my covert?

mtbr member
    The universe will implode, and you'll have a very high BB.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    OP, i think the benefits you would gain from the 160mm fork/slacker HA greatly outweigh the savings in grams of that revelation. You went a step backwards, keep it simple and put the 160 back on! personally i would use a 1 deg angleset with the 160 to get to 66 deg.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    @dwyooaj....I here ya...I was headed in that direction but just took a transfer from Tahoe to Austin, TX so I decided the 160fork was too much for Austin. I just got the bushings in and will install in a few.

mtbr member
    I put the proshox bushings in today.

I measured with a trusty iphone app (only measure in full degrees)

BB HA
    Stock 13-5/8" 68
    One Bush (rear) 13-1/2" 68
    Two Bush 13-3/8" 67

So for $40 I got what I was looking for....~1 deg head angle and as a by product 1/4" (6mm) BB drop

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    adamm3:
    Please advise, what size of bushings should i buy, i wanna try

mtbr member
    22mmx8mm with 2mm offset (max with 8mm hardware

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm3 View Post
    I put the proshox bushings in today.

I measured with a trusty iphone app (only measure in full degrees)

BB HA
    Stock 13-5/8" 68
    One Bush (rear) 13-1/2" 68
    Two Bush 13-3/8" 67

So for $40 I got what I was looking for....~1 deg head angle and as a by product 1/4" (6mm) BB drop
    I'd be interested to know exactly what the change was. With that app you could have realistically gone from 68.1 to 67.9

I'd also like to know if you feel any difference in pedaling performance. The offset bushings mimic a shorter shock, as in the suspension is effectively further into the travel from the start.

mtbr member
    I spent the last week riding in Oregon on mostly Super D type trails in Ashland and Oakridge. I am in love again with the bike on the downs. After riding Ashland I pumped 10 psi more into shock because it definitely had more action during pedaling than before. This cured it some and by no means is it bad but not as solid as before. Fyi, the shock in a RP23 high volume tuned by Push.

mtbr member
    Interesting...I also had to put a greater than average amount of air into the shock on my Bandit to get the kind of compression damping I wanted. I thought it was just because I like a firm and controlled set-up but I guess the bushings could have something to do with it. I'm very happy with the pedalling performance now (but never rode the bike sans bushings).

I've just got the stock RP23...when it needs a rebuild, it will go to PUSH and I'll see if they can stiffen things up a bit for me.