mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Should I wait for Carbon?

Hi guys,

I've been saving for awhile and come January I will finally have enough money to buy a Scout. But now I'm question whether I should hold off a little bit more save a little bit more money and get a carbon scout. That is, if the rumors are true and it will be coming soon. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

mtbr member
    Depends how patient you are. Carbon Patrol still hasn't been released, so the Scout will sill be a long time coming. Maybe?
    Buy the best spec'd Scout you can afford now then start saving for the carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ah, I thought the Carbon Patrol had been released or was going to be in the very near future. I guess alloy it is. I'm am not that patient lol
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

mtbr member
    I'd agree it may be a while. I understand the draw of carbon, but for the price, I don't think I'm having much less fun on my alloy patrol than I would on a carbon.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

Good, green, Oregon.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

Mr. Knowitall
    As far as the Internet has told me, the Scout is not due until at least 2017, I guess - if this is the next model getting the carbon treatment. I wouldn't mind a carbon Patrol, but I might see that a Smuggler would beat it to it.

mtbr member
    I have had and currently have a carbon framed bike, I have gone back & forth with many frames and to be honest I notice more a difference in carbon wheels vs. aluminum than the carbon vs. aluminum frame! In fact I am most likely selling my carbon AM/enduro frame for a aluminum Scout. Sure the carbon is a bit lighter and quitter down the trail but with a robust aluminum frame you wouldn't notice any other difference like flex.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    They took 600 grams off the Patrol frame going carbon – I'm not a weight weenie, but that's impressive.

Smuggler might see similar gains.

mtbr member
    it would make sense to me that the next TR model to go carbon would be the smuggler. the scout is essentially the same as the patrol (wheelsize) other than the amount of travel. totally could be wrong but if I were a betting man, I would bet on smuggler.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

ride
    This discussion reminds me of the conversation from the 90s about what is better - steel, ti, or aluminum. Bottom line is that one material is not inherently better than the other. It depends as much or more on who's making it and how it is made. I've been on carbon squish bikes that are super stiff and some that are noodles, regardless of weight.

The reviews of the carbon Patrol are great so far. We'll see how they are received when they get out into the wild. Waiting on mine now
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The frame boxes say 'Scout Alloy' 'Patrol Alloy' but just 'Smuggler', doesn't look good for a Smuggler carbon just now unless the new Scout is B+/29"....

Mr. Knowitall
    C'mon! I preordered a Scout, and there might be a carbon version in the pipeline... My upping for carbon just cannot happen as a frame only upgrade..

cnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    C'mon! I preordered a Scout, and there might be a carbon version in the pipeline... My upping for carbon just cannot happen as a frame only upgrade..
    There is always always always something newer faster better lighter stronger in the pipeline. Always. The thing you've just bought will never remain state-of-the-art for long. The important thing is to get out there and enjoy the hell out of it until it's time to upgrade again

Mr. Knowitall
    Lalalalalalala. But "whatif"?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone ridden the carbon Patrol back to back with the alu? And can give a brief summary on differences on the trail.

mtbr member
    I have similar bikes in AL and carbon. If I can afford it I'd get carbon, but it wouldn't phase me at all to buy another AL bike.

If the bike I wanted only came in AL as long as it wasn't super heavy [yes I'm talking about you Canfield Riot] I'd buy it without a worry.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks!

Yes but no then. ;-)