mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Shock tuning or replacement shock to get Scout to be more "poppy"

This is my 2nd season on a scout. Last fall I upgraded to the carbon version. I'm about 215 lbs naked and am on a size L. I absolutely love this bike. One of the most fun bikes I've ever owned, I feel like it fits me perfect and generally love the way it rides.

I've always thought the Scout was a pretty playful bike. Maybe I shouldn't have done this but last weekend I traded bikes with a friend for a really fun section of rocky, DH trail in moab. Think high speed but with a good amount of chunk. His bike was an Evil The Calling. We are both around the same height and weight and run the same pedals so it made it easy to swap.

It completely blew my mind how easy it was to get the Evil off the ground. This bike wanted to jump off of everything and air over everything. At the same time it felt like it soaked up the square edge hits just a bit better and was more composed when things got really rough. I did feel like cornering was a downgrade though, when it came time to lean the bike over it had a more "on it" instead of "in it" feeling and it felt kind of tall.

Getting back on my Scout had me feeling like it really took a lot of work to either get the front wheel up off the ground or the whole bike in the air. I never felt this way before and always felt like the Scout was super playful but now I've got it in my head that things could be better.

I'm running the stock RS Monarch RT3 with a couple of spacers and the recommended sag. I need to check my rebound and compression settings, not sure what exactly they are at at the moment but I think it's minimal compression and a fairly quick rebound.

I'm wondering if:

1) with some shock tuning I could get some of this "poppy'ness" found on the Evil?
    or
    2) are there other shocks out there that might get me there?

mtbr member
    I really like my ccdb inline, you can definitely dial in more pop. Just to elaborate a better a bit more, I did one ride with the stock rtc3 before deciding it was crap, the replacement inline is much better, can run less sag but still get great tracking and pop. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I'm running the stock RS Monarch RT3 with a couple of spacers and the recommended sag. I need to check my rebound and compression settings, not sure what exactly they are at at the moment but I think it's minimal compression and a fairly quick rebound.

I'm wondering if:

1) with some shock tuning I could get some of this "poppy'ness" found on the Evil?
    or
    2) are there other shocks out there that might get me there?
    depending on how much you want to spend those are both good options.

cheapest would be to try and tune to the Monarch. I think you could get close, and if you have access to a ShockWiz you'll get even closer.

That said... my Scout really has benefited from upgrading the shock. I am running a Fox Float X and it has really brought to bike alive. Last year I rode the Whole Enchilada on my Scout and had a miserable time. Bike felt great up high, but the lower, chunkier part of that ride was terrible. The shock felt like it blew through the travel and got hung up on everything. Last month I took the Scout back to Moab and rode from UPS down and it was a completely different story. Pumping and popping everything, and the chunk was not an issue this time. Probably the most fun I've had on that ride.

I also have a Fox VanRC that I sent to Push for the MX tune, that shock is even better in the chunk but it kills some of that pop. With the coil the bike feels very stable at speed and will still pop off features but not nearly as easy as the Float X.

I've personally had issues with Cane Creek shocks in the past. I know they have since addressed a lot of the tolerance and assembly issues but it may be a while before I am confident recommending them again. The DVO looks pretty good and I have read a lot of positive reviews of both the product and the customer support.

Of course getting the shock you have tuned by Avalanche is another option. Rockshox Monarch SSD/HSB Modifications
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The Fox sounds like a good option, thanks Calhoun. Do you know specifically which Float X you have? looks like they come in different tunes and possibly different air cans too? Evol?

mtbr member
    I bought the shock used on PB and here was the seller's description:

Tune Info: 2017, FLOAT X, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj Evol LV, FOX, AM, 7.5, 2.0, 0.4 Spacer, CXF, RM, Climb M, Rezi CL, Orange Logo
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    I am currently on a Scout and one thing you may want to look at is your bar height. You said the Evil popped off stuff easily and the front end came up easy as well. Also, a shorter stem will help as well.

My bars are 35mm tall and I have 15mm of spacers under the stem. Running a 35mm long stem. If your bars are lower then you will have more weight on the front
    [B]Chillin...Riding I hopeB]

Monkey
    Calhoun,

Do you prefer the feel of the Fox over the Ohlins?