mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Shock recomendations for bandit?

Need to get more progressive rate out of my bandit.
    Running a 36RC2 up front, stock rp23 with big can.

Looking at a vector HLR air or CC DBA with climb switch.

Also will be racing it XC and training on road so I don't get too fat.

Any thoughts, input, or free parts are welcome. Thanks.
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I put a Monarch RT3 with a regular air can on mine. I bought a M tune and it was way too harsh. Got a custom tune (close to stock L tune) and I definitely like it better than the RP23. Not as plush but much more stable. I'm looking into the DBA as well and would be very interested in hearing how that shock works on the Bandit if anyone's tried it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Noticed something that may have slipped by me - my bandit has the HV air can. That explains why it's so linear - is that what the factory setup ships with?

I'm trying to get it matched up to my RC2 (at 140) which I'm running at 2clicks from open on HSC, 1 from closed LSC, so super plush on small and still able to pump backsides.

The rear shock is just either firm all the way through or soft all the way.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Mine had the HV can too. I think it may actually come with some volume reducers but I never checked. When Steve from Garageworks called Transition to get recommendations for how to tune my Monarch RT3 they said I should stick with the standard air can.

I ordered the CCDBair CS and it should be here Tuesday. I'm sure it's going to take some tuning but I think I'm going to get what I'm looking for out of it. It is quite a bit heavier than the RT3 or RP23 though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marti163 View Post

I ordered the CCDBair CS and it should be here Tuesday. I'm sure it's going to take some tuning but I think I'm going to get what I'm looking for out of it. It is quite a bit heavier than the RT3 or RP23 though.
    What are you looking for out of it?

I'm pretty interested; I'm on the fence if this is really the right frame for me. Geometry is good, but I like getting out of the saddle to sprint up to stuff and want the suspension to ramp up after the first 1/3rd of travel.

Looking forward to your feedback on the DB

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marti163 View Post
    I put a Monarch RT3 with a regular air can on mine. I bought a M tune and it was way too harsh. Got a custom tune (close to stock L tune) and I definitely like it better than the RP23. Not as plush but much more stable. I'm looking into the DBA as well and would be very interested in hearing how that shock works on the Bandit if anyone's tried it.
    What year Monarch? Standard if High Volume can? Approx weight with gear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    What year Monarch? Standard if High Volume can? Approx weight with gear?
    2013 RT3 with standard air can. Running 30% sag. 175-180lbs with gear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    What are you looking for out of it?

I'm pretty interested; I'm on the fence if this is really the right frame for me. Geometry is good, but I like getting out of the saddle to sprint up to stuff and want the suspension to ramp up after the first 1/3rd of travel.

Looking forward to your feedback on the DB
    I have mine set up with a Soloair Lyrik (145mm) and an angleset which puts the HA at 66 deg and the bottom bracket at 13 inches. I've had the bike since November 2011 and have the V1 rear end and use a hadley 10mm thru axle. The bike is currently 28.5 lbs.

I have built the bike a few different ways over the last couple years and found that it I like it best with the Lyrik and as slack as I can get it. I wish they would have built them with a 66.5 HA stock.

I originally was very happy with how the rp23 performed. It was so plush I was surprised at how capable the bike was with so little travel. I was less than impressed with the adjustment of the rp23 however and felt like the platform was almost nonexistent when switched on. I also felt it was a bit to easy to bottom out even with 15-20% sag. I got a good deal on the RT3 so I gave it a shot. I had to send it in to get a lighter compression tune right away as it felt almost like a hardtail with the stock m tune. So it wasn't such a great deal anymore but it changed the feel of the bike. It didn't blow through travel anymore and it was a lot more fun in the corners which I think is where this bike really shines.

I ordered the CCDBair CS to try to get the best of both worlds. I'd like to have some more plushness in straight line rocky situations while maintaining the support in corners. I'm also hoping it keeps me excited about the frame for a couple more years.

I too like to stand and pedal quite a bit and I did find the rp23 lacking for that as well when I threw it back on the bike while servicing the RT3. I ended up riding my other bike instead while waiting on the monarch parts.

I considered getting the rp23 Pushed instead of buying the CCDB but I was too curious about the CCDB and am a big fan of the coil version I have on my ReignX so I pulled the trigger. Shock should get here Wednesday and I'll get my first impressions of it this weekend.
    Last edited by marti163; 10-15-2013 at 06:57 AM.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Sounds like you guys want exactly what I want out of Bandit suspension. Definitely keep us posted on how it goes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Took the Bandit to Snow Summit on Sunday. The CCDBair is GREAT! I haven't messed with spacers in the air spring and I probably won't because it felt awesome. I had to dial the both High and Low speed compression to almost nothing (2 clicks ls and .5 turns hs) before the bike stopped bucking me around. That said, the bike rides high in its travel still and I never felt a harsh bottom out despite using full travel at least a couple times per run. One time when I got to the bottom of the run I overheard some guys talking about how hot their fox air shocks were to the touch so I reached down and it was barely warm. I definitely never felt like I was getting any inconsistencies in the damping performance.

Even with the low compression settings I don't feel much need for the CS lever but once that is flipped it feels REALLY EFFICIENT while still absorbing some of the bumps.

So far I'm happy with the shock. I still need to take it down some trails I'm more familiar with to get a little better comparison to my other shocks.

On another note, it does make using a water bottle in the frame (m) more difficult. I moved the cage down and zip tied the lower mount to the cable guide and now a large bottle fits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good feedback. Thanks Marti!

I'm going to try spacers on the RP23, but if that doesn't do it I'll likely be going DB for Holliday gift to me.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Awesome feedback, thanks Marti.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Any thoughts on running a Fox Float X? I imagine it would be great for descending but not sure about fine tuning for technical climbing..?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think it would be tough to get it in a low enough tune and once you paid for a custom tune you'd be over the price of the ccdba anyway. Transition might be able to point in the right direction. I think I saw a picture of a floatx on Lars' bandit.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    The 2014 Bandits have a Float X option. I wonder what tune they come with..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any updates marti163? I thinking of replace the RP23 BV with a DB Air on my B26 next year. All comments above support that idea.
    But more input is always welcome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just got back from UT where I rode Gooseberry Mesa as well as Hurricane Rim and Jem Trail. I've also had some more time riding my local trails and I've tweaked my settings a fair bit since my initial setup.

I really like the shock. I use the CS feature more than I thought I would as it makes the bike climb amazingly. I like the way it stiffens the suspension without any bouncy feeling from a stiffer platform. While riding in Utah I left it open since I didn't know what was coming and I was very happy with the climbing in the open setting.

I've ended up lowering the air pressure(running more sag) with more high and low speed compression dampening. I still have not tried adding volume spacers.

All in all I'm happy with the purchase. My Bandit is running better than ever.