mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Shimano 12x142 axle on the Bandit 29

I remember reading in a Bandit 29 thread somewhere that Transition said a Shimano axle could be used in the 2013 Bandit. Well I tried mine and it sticks out about a quarter inch on the non drive side dropout. Not a huge deal as I can just use the Transtion one that came with the frame. I was really just trying to use the Shimano one as it has a quick release lever to tighten it down tool free.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    I remember reading in a Bandit 29 thread somewhere that Transition said a Shimano axle could be used in the 2013 Bandit. Well I tried mine and it sticks out about a quarter inch on the non drive side dropout. Not a huge deal as I can just use the Transtion one that came with the frame. I was really just trying to use the Shimano one as it has a quick release lever to tighten it down tool free.
    Make sure you pull the Transition axle nut off and use the Shimano nut with the Shimano axle. I am doing this with my Covert 29 and it worked perfectly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Make sure you pull the Transition axle nut off and use the Shimano nut with the Shimano axle. I am doing this with my Covert 29 and it worked perfectly.
    Do you mean the one that is inside the drive side dropout?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yes. The Shimano axle comes with it's own nut, you need to use both of them.

There is a tiny set screw on the driveside that holds the nut in place, and that also lets you set the lever position for the Shimano axle.

If you have any questions just call us...