mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Scout vs Sight vs 5010

Hi all,

I'm looking for some thoughts on how these three bikes (Scout, Sight, and 5010) compare; it's time for a new bike and these three grab my attention the most.

The Scout sounds like it is a blast on the trails, which I'm very attracted to, but I'm wondering if the Sight might have similar qualities, just with more travel. Also, I'm wondering if the 5010 would be better for big all day rides.

I imagine this forum might be a little bit biased, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Happy riding!

Dnn
    mtbr member
    I've had a V1 5010 for quite some time. Switched to a Transition scout, then tried a v2 5010 for 2 weeks but kept the Transition scout.

I have no experience with a Sight.

I originally switched from a V1 5010 to a Transition Scout because I felt the 5010 was quite short and I had to run 70mm stem for it to be just "OK" reach-wise.
    The second I tried the Transition Scout I knew I would be hooked, at least on the reach/general fit feel. The Scout has quite a long reach and I used a 50mm stem and it still felt considerably longer then the V1 5010.
    I was very happy with the Scout and my confidence increased fast with that bike.

I had the usual cable-rattle problems og some other issues with the scout, and when the 5010 V2 was announced I wanted to try it out as they increased reach and shock tune + I wanted carbon bling.

I used all the same components from my scout on the 5010 V2 frame. That meant I used 140mm front, not 130mm.

The 5010 V2 is surely longer than the 5010 V1, but it is still a short bike - At least it feels quite short. The 5010 V2 size large with a 140mm fork is still 17mm shorter in reach compared to a Transition scout in large.
    That is obviously a big diffrence. The 5010 felt more playful, the front was easier to lift but at the expense of stability and confidence feel.

The suspension on the two bikes is also very diffrent. The 5010 even with the bigger aircan, gave me trouble. It bottomed out often and when it did the bike felt very unstable beneath me - in other words, not a pleasent bottom-out. I tried diffrent tune and pressures but it was not possible for me to make the shock feel "just right"
    On the other hand, the Scout, was just 35% sag --> Giddy up! No problems ever with bottom out or instability - so easy.

In the end I decided to keep the Transition Scout because allthough not as "springy" as the 5010, it brought tons of confidence and made me a much better rider. And that said the Scout is still a very fun bike.

The 5010 generally felt more unstable and prone to "to much feedback" compared to the Scout that just seemed to eat up everything I could throw at it. But then again, some prefer that "instability" it dosen't need to be seen as a negative.

The 5010 felt solid but the suspension and "short'ish" reach just didn't do it for me.
    I'm a happy owner of a Transition Scout and I will most likely buy a Carbon Scout frame when it hits the market.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Dnn, thanks for the advice. Really great comparison of the two (or really three) bikes. I guess one of my reservations about the Scout is the pedaling - it seems like it's much more bobby than the 5010, which is not a feeling I enjoy. I could be wrong though.

And just to complicate things, I'm going to throw a third bike in the mix; the 2016 Devinci Troy. That also sounds like a pretty sweet bike, and it seems like it might share some of the Scout's playful nature, albeit in a longer, non-horst link package.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

SC Junkie
    I spent a lot of time on both bikes. I don't miss my 5010 CC at all. Sorry to say the Scout out preforms the 5010 for me. I also find the Scout to not be any more "bobby" than the 5010. The key to this decision is to try the bikes or NOT care what the internet says and just buy what you want. All bikes have different quirks and you'll always find ways to work around them. No one makes the perfect bike. If they did we would all be riding the same bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's really good to consider. I guess I'm a little nervous about dropping a lot of money on a bike that I don't know every little thing about, but then again, it seems like any bike I get now will crush it - bikes are just so good now.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Dnn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArbez View Post
    but then again, it seems like any bike I get now will crush it - bikes are just so good now.
    That may be true, but they are "very" diffrent.
    The Scout and the 5010 will give you 2 quite diffrent rides, just picking one because they are both considered "good" seems like a bad idea as you dont know wether you would prefer one over the other.

I'm not kidding, they are quite diffrent, both in fit and ride.
    You should definately look for testrides before you decide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bit late to the party but for someone stumbling across this thread I thought I'd throw in my 2c. Can't compare the Scout to 5010 but can to the Troy like was requested.

Rode a Scout for a couple years and recently bought a Troy.

In short..Scout is better

They feel quite similar on the trail, both are quick handling and good peddling bikes but the Scout just does everything a little better. It's a little better in the corners, it's a little more poppy and playful, its a little bit better in the air, it seems to handling rowdy sections a little better even though the Troy has a bit more travel. While the Troy is a great bike the Scout is just an amazing bike. The Troy feel a little bit more spy when it comes to peddling but it's also a full carbon rig minus the wheels while the Scout didn't have a spec of carbon so I'm not sure how much the lower weight of the Troy is contributing to this feeling. Also the rear suspension of the troy is a little bit more finicky to get dialed. To much sag and it feels bobby on the trail and not enough sag it really stiffens up. Once its dialed at like 32% it's perfect but just a couple percent in either direction in really noticable.

Scout is best

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I owned a Scout and 5010 V2. Both of these bikes are stupid fun to ride. I had my Scout set up with 150mm fork and it did everything well. I took this bike to lame single track, and then to the bike park. It can do it all. I ended up selling it because I was exploring more and more bike parks and wanted a bike with more travel. Ended up buying a Nomad.....but immediately missed the playfulness of the Scout. Ended up buying a 5010 to try a shorter travel bike and it was a blast to ride as well. My 5010 had a 140mm fork on it so it was very similar set up to the Scout.

The 5010 vs Scout comparison is pretty tough. They both have similar traits....but also differ in unique ways.

The Scout suspension is very easy to dial in....set and forget.

5010 suspension took me a lot longer to figure out. Many different air pressure changes and fiddling. Even after I got a good base tune the rear was not as supple as the Scout.

Both bikes encourage you to pick up the front end and pop off anything on the trail......both are very playful.

I think the 5010 was a better climber....marginally. Scout had no problems, but the 5010 reacted quicker to pedal input. It accelerated slightly better than the Scout.

Hard to explain but I would call the 5010 more business like, and the Scout more party animal.

I really miss my Scout, and I really miss my 5010. If I had to choose between one or the other I think I would go Scout!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What can I say... Wise choice! ;-)