mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Scout sizing help / suggestion - 6'2

Hi all, I had a chance to sample a medium scout last weekend and had stupidly good fun on it. The cockpit sizing was surprisingly roomy for that size of bike but being 6'2 obviously my legs where a bit cramped.

Im in-between a large and XL on their chart. Everything apart from the seat tube measurements say Large frame to me, I can just about fit a 125x380 reverb in there to match my current saddle height but im wondering if I should go XL, if I did it wouldn't be as playful would it though?

Scout sizing help / suggestion - 6'2-sizingchart_4sizes.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    XL , short stem...my opinion.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Agreed with Chad_Money. I'm 6', and I feel my LG frame is borderline small. It took some getting used to, and I'm comfortable on it, but I'm glad it's not any smaller.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Mmmm, interesting scout or patrol gooutsidetoday? What feels small the reach/cockpit?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Scout sizing help / suggestion - 6'2-img_20150206_231435.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenspink View Post
    Mmmm, interesting scout or patrol gooutsidetoday? What feels small the reach/cockpit?
    This is on my Scout. I would say it feels small in reach. Also, the 400mm seat post is maxed out for me too.

But dang if it isn't a sexy bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Certainly is.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Good thread.

I am in the market for a bike like the Scout. I demoed an XL 5010 last weekend and it felt too small. I know SC runs a bit small but I was very surprised how small it felt.

I am currently riding a Large Tracer 275 and it fits like a glove.

I really need to find a large and/or XL Scout to check out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah the XL 5010 is a lot smaller than other XLs The reach on a scout large is 1cm more than it.

Ive had a quick go on a 5010 and thought it was fine. It did have a long stem though Which is why im thinking large scout with a 50mm will be ok.

How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm 6'3'' and I rode a large scout around the parking lot for about 10 minutes and ended up getting an xl. the large felt a little to cramped. XL with a 40mm stem was the way to go for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks Nate

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenspink View Post
    Yeah the XL 5010 is a lot smaller than other XLs The reach on a scout large is 1cm more than it.

Ive had a quick go on a 5010 and thought it was fine. It did have a long stem though Which is why im thinking large scout with a 50mm will be ok.

How tall are you?
    6'2"

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thx.

Been looking at the reach on the XL scout and comparing it to my bike its a lot lot longer. Don't want a smaller stem than 50 and the reverb i have 'just' accommodates my leg size so im pretty sure.im going large.

mtbr member
    Fwiw, I am 6'3"ish and have an XL. I think its the stand-over, but the cockpit feels giant to me. When focused on the trail it doesn't bother me as much as when I am dinking around and saying man thats a lot of reach. I have a 50mm stem and 740mm bars.

The bike rides awesome. Sometimes I wonder if I had a Large with a bit longer stem how that would ride. The more miles I put on the XL the more I am comfortable with it though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks boostin, get a 35mm stem and wider bars maybe?

mtbr member
    I may play with a shorter stem and see if that changes things a bit. The front wheel is already way out in front of my bars as it is though. I prefer steeper steering angles and like to be 'on top' of the front wheel rather than having it out in front of me.

My personal preference on bar width is maxed out at 740mm though. Something about 760+ feels like I am bellying up to a picnic table.

For me, this bike definitely compares to a 125 dirtbike rather than a bmx/dj (which is how I wish all bikes rode). This comparison is likely due to the rear squish being so squishy and not being able to pre-load and pop off lips. I still am fiddling with the shock and getting to know the bike though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just talked to a shop about 75 miles south and they are expecting to have Scout 1 and 2 builds in Large very soon.

I really wanted to sit on both a Large and XL.

Not sure if the drive is worth it to not be able to try both sizes. Might wait for a closer shop to get both sizes in, especially since at 6'2" it seems you guys are saying XL with a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Been talking to a guy on pinkbike who is 6'2, slightly longer inseam who bought a large patrol (same cockpit measurements ) says the large is perfect for him..
    video of him on it here...

http://youtu.be/J7dkd13tzng

Everyones made and likes different things though!

mtbr member
    The 40mm stem actually makes a big difference in the way it rides. I am sold. Digging this bike alot!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Gone with a large and 50mm stem! Just need to ride it for a bit to see if I need to reduce or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How are you liking it?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well it turns up i'll let you know