mtbr member

Scout shock opinions

Hi all, I've been running my Scout with the stock Monarch debonair the last few months, with no major issues. The stroke feels clunky when cycling through the travel at a standstill. I have to run 260lbs+ to hit the 30% sag mark. I weigh 195lbs in gear. When shredding, it feels good enough. I am not a suspension guru. It goes squish squish and I ride it.

That said. What have you experienced with the monarch? Any other shocks working well? Anyone find a coil to work well?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    Hi all, I've been running my Scout with the stock Monarch debonair the last few months, with no major issues. The stroke feels clunky when cycling through the travel at a standstill. I have to run 260lbs+ to hit the 30% sag mark. I weigh 195lbs in gear. When shredding, it feels good enough. I am not a suspension guru. It goes squish squish and I ride it.

That said. What have you experienced with the monarch? Any other shocks working well? Anyone find a coil to work well?

Cheers
    I would try to borrow a friends pump first and see if your pump is working correctly. I'm on my third shock pump. I seem to have to buy a new one with every bike. They just don't last.

If you get the same results with a borrowed pump then take the shock in for repair.

I am 185-190lbs with gear and run 175 lbs in my Monarch to achieve 35%.

aaarrrggghh!
    I ran a Float X on mine for a while and thought it was pretty awesome. The mid stroke support and bottom out resistance were a bit better than the Monarch. The shock was very smooth throughout the range and the small bump compliance was pretty amazing as well.

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    I feel the monarch is not as plush as a fox.... maybe the midstroke feels flat or the small bump sensitivity is not as good as fox. It seems a little rough going over root beds where as my other bike with a Fox seems to be more plush. Big hits seem to be ok but like i said above repeated hits in the mid stroke just feel a little rough.

I am going to do the air can service and change out the reducers to the Fox ones to see if it smooths out the feel a little bit.
    [B]Chillin...Riding I hopeB]

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    To the OP, make sure when filling the shock you fill to something like 110psi then remove the pump and slowly push the shock to fill up the neg chamber. reconnect the pump and fill to 170psi and do the same thing. do it one more time and fill to like 190psi, cycle the shock again. This will ensure the neg chamber is equal psi. i would then start your sag setup. I am close to bluepitch in weight and am running similar psi.

Ride Everything
    I'm probably 220# geared up and pump my shock to ~230-235 psi (for ~33% sag). Feels good on the trail, but I use the pro pedal setting when riding to the trail head.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    Last night I swapped out the RS reducers for the Fox. Can defiantly tell it is a little more sensitive tipping into the travel.... I will try to get out and ride this week to follow up!

Scout shock opinions-fullsizerender1.jpg

mtbr member
    I will be running the new Fox DPS E-Vol, it is one amazing shock! (had one on my previous frame)...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Had the standard Monarch, but sold it after one ride as I had the option for a cheap Float X. The Float X seems to have better small bump but needed quite a big spacer in it to make it progressive enough. Corset can was a huge improvement but leaked air. 2016 Evol can was nearly as good, but not quite and a lot more linear that the corset IMO. I've got a Van RC MX tuned coil that I use when it's called for and that's loads of fun. Grip everywhere, mid stroke support and the small bump is unreal.

The bike is great with whatever and all of the changes were, in reality, pretty small but fun.

mtbr member
    Could you please post a pic of the bike with the coil!

mtbr member
    Seriously, would love to see the scout with a coil. So many shocks, hard to figure out what to do. I feel like it ride better than what I've been experiencing. Thanks for all the input!

mtbr member
    I had good luck with a DBinline on my Scout. I never rode the Monarch on it so I can't say anything about that but the Inline worked very well with it. I ran a bunch of volume reducers to help keep it up in the travel too, highly recommend that if you get one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone have the stock shock from the 2016 Scout kicking around after they switched to a Fox? I'm looking to buy one.