CAPTIN HARDCORE

Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!

So just got my Scout together and took it for a ride and noticed the cables make a ton of noise inside the down tube. I think this has been brought up many times from current owners. If you are like me I cannot stand a noisy bike so I had to fix it.

1. First get the brake, RD, FR and Dropper cables ran through the frame and hooked up if you want. I think getting the cables hook up first is best that way you can get the foam in the proper place.
    For my situation I only had to deal with the brake and RD cable and I already had them hooked up... so instead of disconnecting the brake line again I just pulled the RD and brake cables as far as I could back out the top of the frame.

2. Mark the cables on both end to where you would zip tie them to the frame. This way you can apply the foam equally and in the right places on the cables. You can use tape, silver sharpie ect...

3. Make sure The cables from the lever and shifter are stacked and are similar length. I used some tape to keep the cables together

4. Pull the cables out the top of the frame as far as you can, but make sure the cables are stacked so when you put them back in they are in the same place.

5. Apply the foam in the space that will sit inside the frame. I wrapped it around both cables so I could slide the cables back easily. I used 5 20mm long pieces in the span.

Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!-p4pb12347725.jpg

Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!-p4pb12347724.jpg

6. Feed the cables back into the frame
    Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!-p4pb12347726.jpg

7. Hook everything back up!!!

8. Go ride in peace!!

Just for fun I checked to see if the cables came out easy with all the foam and there was no problem! So changing a cable should be easy!!

[B]Chillin...Riding I hopeB]

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice work. Ill have to try this. Should also stop dirt and water entering the frame too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crazbiker4 View Post
    So just got my Scout together and took it for a ride and noticed the cables make a ton of noise inside the down tube. I think this has been brought up many times from current owners. If you are like me I cannot stand a noisy bike so I had to fix it.

1. First get the brake, RD, FR and Dropper cables ran through the frame and hooked up if you want. I think getting the cables hook up first is best that way you can get the foam in the proper place.
    For my situation I only had to deal with the brake and RD cable and I already had them hooked up... so instead of disconnecting the brake line again I just pulled the RD and brake cables as far as I could back out the top of the frame.

2. Mark the cables on both end to where you would zip tie them to the frame. This way you can apply the foam equally and in the right places on the cables. You can use tape, silver sharpie ect...

3. Make sure The cables from the lever and shifter are stacked and are similar length. I used some tape to keep the cables together

4. Pull the cables out the top of the frame as far as you can, but make sure the cables are stacked so when you put them back in they are in the same place.

5. Apply the foam in the space that will sit inside the frame. I wrapped it around both cables so I could slide the cables back easily. I used 5 20mm long pieces in the span.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb12347725.jpg 
Views:	935 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	995960

Name:	p4pb12347724.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	995961

6. Feed the cables back into the frame

Name:	p4pb12347726.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	995962

7. Hook everything back up!!!

8. Go ride in peace!!

Just for fun I checked to see if the cables came out easy with all the foam and there was no problem! So changing a cable should be easy!!

What foam are you using there?
    Mines having a quiet period at the moment with cable ties but im sure the rattle will come back.
    Put your phone down and get riding.

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenspink View Post
    What foam are you using there?
    Mines having a quiet period at the moment with cable ties but im sure the rattle will come back.
    I work for an OEM automotive supplier and had some at the office. I tried to see if I could find it online but had no luck.

I think something like this will work:
    3M 3320 - Vinyl Foam Tape | O'Reilly Auto Parts

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    This will work as well, we use this one at work:

Nitto Turkey | NITTO EPTSEALER No.686

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Any cloth based tape will work. Check some sports store that sells ice hockey sticks. Surely they have cloth tape in black and white. It is cheap and works fine to wrap your cables. Problem remains with seatpost cable as it goes alone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just shoved a couple of bits of sponge down the downtube opening in the headtube, worked a treat. Pedals bike shop in Edinburgh have been using 6mm foam insulation tubing at the build stage, very light and a cunning idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I used mastic tape and it worked great, has totally quieted them down. I was able to do it after the fact as well by just pulling out a little slack, taping around and then tucking back in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Nerf ball through down tube opening in bottom bracket

Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!-image.jpg

No more noise.......completely silent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice I'm going to try that. Might be good to use one piece of foam though and leave a bit to grab to remove it. Feeding new cables through the frame is tricky enough as it is

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlads View Post
    Nice I'm going to try that. Might be good to use one piece of foam though and leave a bit to grab to remove it. Feeding new cables through the frame is tricky enough as it is

I was concerned about that so I tried an old derailluer housing to push them back out. They come out very easily.

One large piece might not be enough to keep them from moving. I got mine spread around, some near top, middle and lower downtube.

I also have the flexible claw pickup tool which works good putting them in and taking out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nice. I'll have to redo mine and add these fixes.
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You really don't want to be stuffing crap down there. Best way to do this is grab some 2/3mm padded sticky back tape cut it into 3cm strips and wrap any hose thats in the tube in 3cm intervals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenspink View Post
    You really don't want to be stuffing crap down there. Best way to do this is grab some 2/3mm padded sticky back tape cut it into 3cm strips and wrap any hose thats in the tube in 3cm intervals.
    Tried that, doesn't eliminate all the cable rattle. This is completely silent, and hose removal is easy....doesn't get caught at the tape when you need to remove. This way you don't have to join cables either, so if you have to remove one cable its not taped to the other.

mtbr member
    Old feed, but just building my Scout.
    Any new tricks, or use the old ones?

mtbr member
    mastic tape works well, pull the cable out a bit, wrap mastic tape around cables and slide back into place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!-img_0355.jpg  

nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#333333
    mastic tape works well, pull the cable out a bit, wrap mastic tape around cables and slide back into place.[/COLOR]
    Thanks, I try that

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    mastic tape works well, pull the cable out a bit, wrap mastic tape around cables and slide back into place.
    I did this, also helps stop water getting inside the frame when washing.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    I was concerned about that so I tried an old derailluer housing to push them back out. They come out very easily.

One large piece might not be enough to keep them from moving. I got mine spread around, some near top, middle and lower downtube.

I also have the flexible claw pickup tool which works good putting them in and taking out?
    I did this with two pieces of a Scotch Brite sponge, roughly half of a sponge.
    No noise apparently.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I did this with two pieces of a Scotch Brite sponge, roughly half of a sponge.
    No noise apparently.
    Now when you remove the cables they will get a little scrubbing to keep them clean!

Hopefully they will incorporate internal cable tubes next time around on the alloy builds.

The White Jeff W
    The setup video on Transition website they wrap the cables in electrical shrink tubing and slide it into the cable hole

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...