Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 128
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    120

    Scout or Patrol - the big decision. Who's riden both?

    I just can't decide. Spent some time on a scout and loved it but after reading reviews of how flickable, how much a good climber, corner busting thing the patrol is im wondering if I should just go with it.

    Unfortunately it will be my only bike for some time so it has to handle rooty short, rocky tight small trails in my local woods to enduro racing a few.times this year and visits to trail centres. Im not planning on venturing into DH by the way.

    Can anyone who has riden both comment. Is the scout going to handle the rough stuff enough? Im not going to be competing for any podiums by the way

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeremy R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    369
    I have not ridden either, but I have a scout on order, and I race a lot of super d and enduro events as well. I will tell you why I decided on the scout. For me and most of my riding, I am in tight woods like 90% of the time. Having a flickable bike with short chainstays and a low bb is really important for how I ride. My weekday rides are in the woods with steep short rolling hills on technical trails and my weekend rides are in the mountains in Pisgah Forest. So, in my day to ride riding, the scout seemed like a way better fit for me. Then, I thought about the racing aspect. For where I live and what I race, almost all the Super D and Enduro races I do, are in tight woods with a lot of turns. The courses I race are more suited to a faster quicker shorter travel bike than a long travel big hitter. If I was racing World Cup Enduro events that would be different, but the scout just seems like a perfect fit for what ride and race. Also, in the past, I have set some of my fastest times on rough trails on bikes like my old Yeti ASR 5, which was a 26 inched 5 inch bike with stiff unforgiving suspension. IMO, the scout has perfect geometry and a solid suspension platform for hauling azz on tight rough trails. I can't wait to get it and see for myself.
    SEI Racing

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    120
    Thanks Jeremy, sounds similar to me.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27
    I ordered the scout for the exact reasons Jeremy said. I probably read the same articles on the Patrol that you did that raved about how fun, flickable and how amazing it is in the corners, if the Patrol does that one can only imagine how much more flickable and even better turning the Scout will be with less travel, shorter stays and lower bb.

    From what I read in the pinkbike article the Scout will be able to handle and excel in pretty much any terrain except maybe the roughest dh courses I'd say unless your local trails and everyday riding is in the roughest steepest nar or you love big hits and jumps then the Scout is the right choice.

    That was my thinking anyway and reason I'm going from a 2014 covert to the scout. 160mm slack bikes feel a bit much now for everyday trail riding.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    120
    You're right. Mind has been made up. Black scout it is.

    ..or should I go Limeade

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27
    Lol. The new limeade scouts are in my Lbs. They do look pretty sweet.

  7. #7
    lives to ride
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,098
    I'm keen to hear how you guys find the Scout with it's short travel. I'm on a Bandit 275, and I've enjoyed Transitions "bottomless" feel on their whole range over the years. Is the Scout long enough travel for gnar?

    I'm up in Whistler and the Bandit was always "pushing it", but I have preferred to ride a shorter travel bike aggressively rather than descend on a couch. My concern is the Scout will be a little too short for these parts. Am I wrong?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    I'm keen to hear how you guys find the Scout with it's short travel. I'm on a Bandit 275, and I've enjoyed Transitions "bottomless" feel on their whole range over the years. Is the Scout long enough travel for gnar?

    I'm up in Whistler and the Bandit was always "pushing it", but I have preferred to ride a shorter travel bike aggressively rather than descend on a couch. My concern is the Scout will be a little too short for these parts. Am I wrong?
    My Scout shows up in a couple weeks so I'll make sure to check back in. I'm in Cumberland on Vancouver Island and am fairly familiar with the trails in Whistler and surrounding area so I have an idea of what your riding. However if your riding Whistler trails on a bandit I can only imagine the Scout would be Equally as good or better with the new platform.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    120
    I have a 150 revelation fork which im going to stick on with lots of sag. Rear suspension feels to soaks up a lot more than is actually there according to the reviews.

    As talked about above, if your looking for a bike to handle EWS Top of the world type trails then go for the patrol, Pinkbike review says some of the trails at whistler would not be a problem (A line etc)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    773
    All I know is at interbike I had Kevin tell me "buy a scout!!! I know you loved the bottlerocket and the scout is a new and improved version." Then I had Sam say "The patrol is the bike you'll never want to give up. I love it so much. Bottomless and progressive. Buy the Patrol!!" I ended up with a patrol because I'm 6'1, 220 with gear and I felt like I may go through the travel on the scout

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson View Post
    All I know is at interbike I had Kevin tell me "buy a scout!!! I know you loved the bottlerocket and the scout is a new and improved version." Then I had Sam say "The patrol is the bike you'll never want to give up. I love it so much. Bottomless and progressive. Buy the Patrol!!" I ended up with a patrol because I'm 6'1, 220 with gear and I felt like I may go through the travel on the scout
    Lol. That's funny, I really don't think there's a bad choice to be made. My Scout frame just showed up yesterday. Just gotta get the internals to drop my pike from 160 - 140. Can't wait to take that limeade hot rod out for a rip

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    8
    I have the Patrol and I am amazed how well it climbs. Then downhill it is a silent ripper. I was going for the Scout then changed my mind and am glad I did.

    Jumping off things and no worries about hard bottom outs and still have a very capable bike that climbs so good. I have cleaned climbs on the first try that are hard on my Tallboy.

    But the Scout will probably be the same maybe better, I just like the fact there is more suspension for a lift day at Whistler. More versatile.

  13. #13
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti View Post
    Lol. That's funny, I really don't think there's a bad choice to be made. My Scout frame just showed up yesterday. Just gotta get the internals to drop my pike from 160 - 140. Can't wait to take that limeade hot rod out for a rip
    I think I saw your frame at DCC, looks good. The Scouts they have in the shop look great. Excellent choice for Cumberland.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    103
    Scout or Patrol - the big decision. Who's riden both?-11042667_608909512586714_472521039396268777_n.jpg

    we had our first ride on the Scout and Patrol 2 weeks ago.

    First thing i note, Scout is amazing climber. I can see my buddy just pull away so easily even on some technical climb. He never been a known climber on his previous bikes, previously riding M6. As for the patrol, it still climb pretty well for long travel bike. Much much better than my previous El Guapo but need effort catching the scout.

    On the descent, we tried on moderately easy trail. both bikes are stable and loves the speed going down fast. Need more ride to tell more. SO far it has been great. I need some getting use to the long front geometry, push forward and commit more. Its easy to go fast on descent.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    120
    Cool, sounds like the Scout is still the winner.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,196
    I had a Scout demo bike for a few days and fell in love. I normally ride a Stumpjumper Evo with a 160mm Pike, and I was worried the Scout would be a little short on travel. I was wrong! If I hadn't known it was only 125mm in the back, I would have guessed at least 140mm. It has a bottomless feel while still feeling very efficient while pedalling (for horst link anyway).
    For me the geo is spot on and feels like what the 650b Stumpjumper should have been. I would have ordered one on the spot if a carbon version was available.
    14 Aurum, 15 P.3, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27
    Posts like these ^^ get me real excited to get on my scout. Few more days

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,196
    My LBS did say a carbon version was in the works and I really hope that's the case. My only complaint with the aluminum frame is the weight, but it is a rock solid train bike not a flexy XC bike. The stiffness of the frame is amazing and tossing it around my tight twisty local trails was a ton of fun. It is really agile and responsive and didn't feel like a 30lb bike to me on the trail.
    Please bring on a carbon!
    14 Aurum, 15 P.3, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    120
    Quick update. Decided on the scout after having another test ride. Managed to have a quick go on a SC 5010 the day before and the scout is much more lively, feels more solid and capable going fast over rock gardens etc so I have no doubt transition have really done their sums with this bike. Think that bit extra front length and slackness just kills the Santa cruz. Really do think its going to be a classic bike.
    Sticking 150mm revs on the front to alter the slack by .5°. Just two weeks to wait now

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HeavyFlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    59
    Just bought a Patrol 3!
    I was torn between black or orange, build up or stock, and then Belmont Wheelworks in MA put the orange medium Patrol 3 they had in stock on sale for 3325! Awesome bike and awesome price! $340 for a KS LEV integra dropper post and needs nothing else!
    3666 in total to be exact. That's an awesome price for a 1x10 with stealth dropper new bike like this.
    Still waiting for all the snow to melt before I can give real ride impressions but so far I can tell it is a wheelie/manual monster!

    I am going to transfer my xt 1x10 drivetrain and atlas cranks from my old bike since they are new and better than the deore/slx/sram/ride level stuff.

    This means I might entertain offers on the new drivetrain ;-)
    I can include the deore brakes too because then you get the ispec mounted shifter!

    Then I will probably upgrade the handlebars/stem/grips to shave some grams and customize the look. I'll only upgrade the wheels as needed.

    I can post pics, but right now it is stock except for the dropper post.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyFlow View Post
    Just bought a Patrol 3!
    I was torn between black or orange, build up or stock, and then Belmont Wheelworks in MA put the orange medium Patrol 3 they had in stock on sale for 3325! Awesome bike and awesome price! $340 for a KS LEV integra dropper post and needs nothing else!
    3666 in total to be exact. That's an awesome price for a 1x10 with stealth dropper new bike like this.
    Still waiting for all the snow to melt before I can give real ride impressions but so far I can tell it is a wheelie/manual monster!

    I am going to transfer my xt 1x10 drivetrain and atlas cranks from my old bike since they are new and better than the deore/slx/sram/ride level stuff.

    This means I might entertain offers on the new drivetrain ;-)
    I can include the deore brakes too because then you get the ispec mounted shifter!

    Then I will probably upgrade the handlebars/stem/grips to shave some grams and customize the look. I'll only upgrade the wheels as needed.

    I can post pics, but right now it is stock except for the dropper post.
    I just bought the same bike, same kit. I got the orange as most of my previous bikes have been black so I wanted to change the flavor. I bought the RS Reverb stealth post. I really hope that it is a good post. I am a little nervous about it and I wasn't sure if I should have went with the KS. Anyways, congrats!! cant wait to rip it up on mine!!!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    289
    I chose the Scout in limeade. I already have a 160mm travel bike and figured the scout would be the perfect complimentary trail bike. Ended up scoring an XL frame and specing my build kit thru hours of online deal scouring. $3800 for XT, stans with hope hubs, and race face sixc/atlas bits. Just had meniscus surgery on both knees (glutton for punishment) so this build will keep me busy and inspiration to work hard at physio.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    120
    Whos had there scout out and about then, let us know what it can handle please. STILL waiting for my frame. Just one or two more days now.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenspink View Post
    Whos had there scout out and about then, let us know what it can handle please. STILL waiting for my frame. Just one or two more days now.
    I just rode Grafton Mesa in Hurricane, UT on my Scout, so I'd call it capable. Grafton is a pretty chunky downhill trail.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    41
    Thought I would give this a bump. I'm stuck on the fence. Seeing if there is any more input on what the scout can really do before I decide.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    289
    Rehabbing my knees, but back on the bike doing basic road/light trail climbs, so not a full ride report to give. What I will say is this...the Scout climbs!! I'm always the slowest guy in my group uphill and I was the fastest the other day...no bob, just putting the power down and accelerating up the hill. Kind of game changing for me really. Cannot wait to take it out for a proper ride this weekend.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyPDX View Post
    Rehabbing my knees, but back on the bike doing basic road/light trail climbs, so not a full ride report to give. What I will say is this...the Scout climbs!! I'm always the slowest guy in my group uphill and I was the fastest the other day...no bob, just putting the power down and accelerating up the hill. Kind of game changing for me really. Cannot wait to take it out for a proper ride this weekend.
    It's reports like these that make me ecstatic for the scout. Climbs, descends, and wants to play. Really hard to beat that.
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC1405 View Post
    Thought I would give this a bump. I'm stuck on the fence. Seeing if there is any more input on what the scout can really do before I decide.
    Been on my Scout for 2 months. Coming off a 2014 Transition Covert and before that a Giant Reign x

    The Scout absolutely rips...when you put down power to the pedals the bike just takes off, and speaking of taking off the bike gets airtime like nothing else. My riding partner is also on one and we both just can't get over how easy and well the thing gets airborn, its so fun. Any little bump or lips you can pop off, any of those pesky jumps you may have had trouble to make the transition now easy to make. It's just a play bike. Corners is fantastic, I'm still trying to get used to how fast I can go into corners and make.

    Downside is when things get fast and rowdy, the last two bikes I was on were 150-160mm in the rear so I'm used to being able to really open it up when decents got rough and hairy. The Scout can definitely get overwhelmed in these scenarious and you have to be a lot more picky about your line choices. Where I ride these decents only make up about 10% of my riding so I'm not to worried about it. You just have to be more on the ball and precise about where you put your wheels.

    If your riding consists more of hairy fast rowdy decents go with the Patrol.

    If your riding consists mostly of fun fast trails or even slow techy trails go with the Scout.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    41
    Thanks for that ^^.

    After reading a bunch, riding around in the parking lot on one, BOOOO! and riding a SC5010 and Kona 134 on a local trail similar to the majority of my area I'm going to go water the money tree out back and get a Scout. I figured those two were the most similar to what a scout would be like on a trail.

    PS: I'm coming off a 26" 100mm hardtail so I know about picky line choices. : ) I'm also excited to actually ride down some short sketchy sections I just don't trust myself to ride on the current rig.

    It will be a few months for a ride update, but I'll make sure I come back with one.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7
    I've had the Scout 2 in limeade for a couple months now. Been down Bootleg Canyon a couple times (not the front side) went to Sedona, rode South Mountain in Phoenix, just did the Cannel trail last weekend and all I can say is that after 6 months riding a hard tail this bike is awesome. I added the Reverb dropper when I bought it and I love it. The only thing I can complain about is the SLX rd and deore shifter combo. Not impressed at all. My last bike had X9 2x10 and that was WAY better. Questions is if I were to upgrade drive train for better shifting, what would you go with? Get XT shifter and keep the SLX rd? switch all to SRAM like the Scout 1? any other suggestions?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by bkies View Post
    I've had the Scout 2 in limeade for a couple months now. Been down Bootleg Canyon a couple times (not the front side) went to Sedona, rode South Mountain in Phoenix, just did the Cannel trail last weekend and all I can say is that after 6 months riding a hard tail this bike is awesome. I added the Reverb dropper when I bought it and I love it. The only thing I can complain about is the SLX rd and deore shifter combo. Not impressed at all. My last bike had X9 2x10 and that was WAY better. Questions is if I were to upgrade drive train for better shifting, what would you go with? Get XT shifter and keep the SLX rd? switch all to SRAM like the Scout 1? any other suggestions?
    Sram and shimano feel differently. If you like the sram on your last bike then I would go all that. You could grab an xt shifter off ebay and give it a go, selling it on if you don't like...that would be the cheapest.
    Put your phone down and get riding.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    103
    Deore and xt feels quite same on my previous bike. The different is that xt got rapid shift that allow you to change 2 gear with single push.

    Riding SRAM xx1 now on the patrol. The feel is superiors IMO. Can consider the x1 which feels as good.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7
    Thanks guys, and that makes sense. When I jumped on the Patrol 1 before I bought my Scout which had Sram X whatever it felt awesome too. I was just wondering wether the XT shifter would make that big of a difference. Looks like I need to pony up and get at least X9 Rd and shifter.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    243
    Our area has seen A LOT of Scouts and Patrols in the past few months. I see them on virtually every ride. Everything here is accurate to what they're saying.

    The consensus is exactly what I expected it to be after talking extensively to at least 3 owners of each bike. The guys who like general trail riding and want an all around bike that climbs well, is nimble, and handles the descents and moderate gnar well...Scout. The guys who really lean more toward an Enduro mentality that focuses on descending and they just view going uphill as a necessary evil to get to point downhill and go over anything in their path...Patrol.

    For the guys that have ridden both...say they like their choice, and have no regrets. So for me it's pretty cut and dried that the bikes do what they're designed to do. You wouldn't want to try to beat adept climbers on the Patrol, and you wouldn't want to try to win the descents on the Scout. Those are the extremes you would expect to separate the two bikes.

    General comment from the Scout owners. Most fun bike they've ever ridden, and playful. Love it on anything tight and technical and still descends very well.

    Patrol owners...say they love how they can hit anything and it just soaks it up and keeps truckin'.

    Don't know if that helps or not. I have had offers to swing a leg over both, but I'm resisting the urge to even try. I don't want to know if they're better than my 2014 Bandit...I'd rather live without that urge. :-)

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by NWAtrailyguy View Post
    Patrol owners...say they love how they can hit anything and it just soaks it up and keeps truckin'. :-)
    To all, thank you for the good chat on this thread about Patrol vs Scout.

    I just ordered the last XL orange patrol in the US. I am super excited. I am upgrading from a Giant Trance X2 29er... I look forward to the 160 pike and shifting my riding style. Just moved to Western NC!!

    Thanks!
    Kfun

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    41
    I've already committed to go for the Patrol but now I'm stuck again in that decision.
    I want to replace my stumpjumper (didn't become familiar with that bike), and will eventually also send off my tr250 when the new bike (ie the Patrol) fills both gaps.

    Recently I came across the banshee darkside , which could be great replacement for the TR250: the option for 26"/27,5 and 180/200 (front) makes it pretty versatile. Also the darkside large is really a large one (440 reach), whereas the tr250 in L (411 reach) is a bit too small for me (I like it nevertheless).

    This new "idea" (just changing the tr250 frame for the darkside) leads back to the two-bike solution. But the Patrol next to the darkside (with 180SC) reduces the distance of both relating to their missions - thereby I would posses a DH enduro and a freerider.

    I think the Scout could define that border much better - a capable trailbike and a freeride.
    Anyone who was in same position and went for the do-it-all bike solution? or two bikes?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    289
    I was going for the same distinguishment as you are and picked up a Scout and a Nomad. First time I've had two bikes versus the one to rule them all. So far I dig the differences. Is there overlap? Sure! But they provide a different ride down the same trail. Plus the nomad obviously takes on the more aggressive trails. Spent two days in whistler on it last weekend and it did just fine in the park. A scout and darkside ( or TR500 in single or double crown) would be even more separation in duties. All depends on the trails you ride and if you can see yourself riding both. We all love bikes, so why not have two of them to be enamoured with?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rehammer81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    416
    I'm going with the two bike solution also but at the other end. I have a Pivot Mach 4c that I'm setting up with a 130/100 Fox 34 TALAS to cover XC/trail duty and then I want a Patrol carbon for the gnarlier enduro days. I'm not much of a big huck park or free ride guy so the Patrol should handle the most aggressive and gnarliest riding I do.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    7
    First day of getting my Patrol, I took it to Rocky Knob in Boone, NC! I have been smiling every minute on it. It is incredible at climbing, and especially descending. i have taken it to Beech Mtn downhill park twice and the bike just eats up everything and wants more. The patrol is amazing and recommend it, if you can find one.


    Scout or Patrol - the big decision. Who's riden both?-patrol1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scout or Patrol - the big decision. Who's riden both?-patrol.jpg  


  40. #40
    lives to ride
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,098
    Ok I'm signing in for advice again. I love my Bandits. Had a 2012 and now have a 2014. My 2014 with a 160 Pike is perfect for me up in Whistler. It's not quite as fast on the descents as my friends on their Coverts, but it is a blast. Somehow they have always felt bottomless (though my polished back to aluminium seat tube says otherwise).

    Has anyone owned a Bandit and then a Scout? How do you compare them? Which descends better?

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    682
    Lokking to possibly build up a scout for the gf. Any idea on the weight of an xt build?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfun View Post
    First day of getting my Patrol, I took it to Rocky Knob in Boone, NC! I have been smiling every minute on it. It is incredible at climbing, and especially descending. i have taken it to Beech Mtn downhill park twice and the bike just eats up everything and wants more. The patrol is amazing and recommend it, if you can find one.
    Where did you get your patrol? WNC as well...

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,196
    A medium XT build is around 29 lbs.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    11
    Only had a brief go on a Patrol to compare, but it's definitely a little burlier than my Scout. Saying that, I've got 36s reduced to 150mm on my Scout and some slack bushings and have no problems keeping up with people on bigger travel bikes even on uplift days. Sure you get a little more rattled, but isn't being rattled a little bit fun? I guess I like the livelier feel of it. I don't feel any difference going from a 140 bike down to 125.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    54
    How's the patrol on tight rocky singletrack?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by dcycleman View Post
    How's the patrol on tight rocky single-track?
    Im editing this post, sorry dcycleman, i just realized you question was probably aimed at the post above. but here's my opinion anyway.
    Its great in the Tight twisty single track.
    I just test rode the patrol on my fav local trail. Ive been riding for 25 yrs, Im am a DHer, i ride up only when i have to and need all the help i can get. I have 3 bikes, an 8'' travel Transition TR500 for DH and a 7.5" Uzzi for peddling up plus a hard tail. So my opinion on the patrol. It climbs amazingly well, i cleared sections on the climb that i always walk mu uzzi and my hard tail up. And the DH blew my mind, it was confidence inspiring on everything from steep drops, rock slabs and great in the tight twisty and rock infested trails we have here in Nelson BC.
    For me, if i rode mostly smoother trails, even if they were tight, twisty i would consider the scout. But the trails here are rough as well as steep and twisty. For me its the patrol. But if i could i would have both.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    41
    I will go for the patrol; maybe it's overkill for many trails here, but it will (hopefully) provide more reserves and confidence at the crucial moments (which everyone knows when trying something new/faster/steeper...).
    Also I think I will give away the Stumpi Evo and the TR250 and look for a tr500/Demo/gambler next year for the gnarly trips.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw2011 View Post
    Im editing this post, sorry dcycleman, i just realized you question was probably aimed at the post above. but here's my opinion anyway.
    Its great in the Tight twisty single track.
    I just test rode the patrol on my fav local trail. Ive been riding for 25 yrs, Im am a DHer, i ride up only when i have to and need all the help i can get. I have 3 bikes, an 8'' travel Transition TR500 for DH and a 7.5" Uzzi for peddling up plus a hard tail. So my opinion on the patrol. It climbs amazingly well, i cleared sections on the climb that i always walk mu uzzi and my hard tail up. And the DH blew my mind, it was confidence inspiring on everything from steep drops, rock slabs and great in the tight twisty and rock infested trails we have here in Nelson BC.
    For me, if i rode mostly smoother trails, even if they were tight, twisty i would consider the scout. But the trails here are rough as well as steep and twisty. For me its the patrol. But if i could i would have both.
    Hey thanks for the reply.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going for the patrol, all the trails I ride in the northeast USA are really rocky and rooty with down hill sections. Almost no smooth trails

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    768
    I'm facing a similar dilemma. I live in VT where there are plenty of features on and around the trails but
    overall not anything the scout couldn't handle. There's places with lots of twisty, rooty, singletrack with
    rocky sections here and there. The Scout would be a great 1 bike solution if it had a little more travel,
    like more in the 140/145 range in the back. Unfortunately, I live for those 5% trails where I can go balls
    to the wall on the descent and hit a few jumps without bottoming on hard landings. Another factor is I weigh
    a bit over 200# RtoR which will make me sink a little more into the sag. (The sag on my recent demo on the
    Patrol was 35% and that felt perfect.)
    The suspension overall felt fairly linear through the 1st 2/3 of travel (Didn't have a chance to hit
    anything that would bottom it out, though. Did some steep climbs on it, though, and it felt entirely capable
    and easier to stay in a seated position than, say, my current bike, a '12 Firebird.
    The Firebird was my 'one bike' when I was climbing up and down the chundery, sharp rocks in AZ, but I'm way
    overbiked here. I'm leaning toward the Patrol right now but am wondering about how much separation there
    would be with the Firebird if I were to get the Patrol. The updated climbing geo makes a big difference and the
    suspension on the Patrol felt a tad more efficient, tho. Need to do more testing. Hoping I'll be able to
    corral a Scout for a demo ride next Monday. Let's keep the discussion going.

  50. #50
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,545
    le_buzz, check the Knolly Endorphin. Similar to the Scout with a little more travel.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone rode the Patrol ???
    By afp3 in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 10-30-2015, 03:54 PM
  2. Carbon Patrol and Scout???
    By Travis Bickle in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 10-24-2015, 08:43 AM
  3. Rock a Patrol
    By Chad_Money in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 02:20 PM
  4. Nissan Patrol anyone ??
    By jpvm in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 07:09 PM
  5. rocksox reverb or spesh comand post ? anyone riden both ??
    By twedspeed in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •