mtbr member

Scout as a more XC oriented bike?

My local riding is in southeast Michigan, where the terrain consists of a lot of short hills. The trails are more XC than all mountain. How is the Scout for riding this type of trail?

For reference, it would be replacing a Titus Motolite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I actually replaced my Motolite with a Scout. I ride all sorts of xc trails, the Scout is a fun bike. Its not the lightest or the fastest in a race. It does downhill like a pro and loves rough terrain. Plus its nice stiff, not a lot of flex in this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've used my Scout for a few long XC events (50 - 65km, 30 - 40 miles) and it has handled them quite well. Changing tyres to an Ardent Race on the rear helped it out greatly. It's no XC whippet, and it loses ground to the hardtails on smoother climbs but actually outclimbs them over rough and loose stuff. Descending is another story and well worth any losses on the climbs. Go for it I say, especially if you're getting the lighter carbon version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Polk View Post
    My local riding is in southeast Michigan, where the terrain consists of a lot of short hills. The trails are more XC than all mountain. How is the Scout for riding this type of trail?

For reference, it would be replacing a Titus Motolite.
    It will do brilliantly. My riding in England is much the same.
    Put your phone down and get riding.

"El Whatever"
    How about using a slightly shorter fork? Say 120-130mm?

I know it's designed around 140mm fork. Just asking if anyone has tried.

Too big shoes to fill those of a Motolite. I was on a Switchblade a few bikes ago. Brilliant bikes.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

Too big shoes to fill those of a Motolite. I was on a Switchblade a few bikes ago. Brilliant bikes.

Here is a few ramblings on my upgrade from the Motolite to the Scout:

My Motolite was setup with a 140mm fox float fork. It was a noodle compared to the Pike. The pike is so good with the charger damper, I would not want any less travel. I don't feel that the front wheel wonders any more or less than the scout.

The Scout with its slack head angle is really nice compared to the racey Motolite. Its tough to get flung over the bars on the Scout. You will be cornering and descending really fast. I cant stress how fun it is to corner on this bike with the seat dropped all the way (I have a 150mm dropper on a large scout).

One big difference between the Scout and Motolite is the bottom bracket height, expect to hit your pedals on things. Its not a big deal, its worth it for added stability.

The scout is going to feel like a beast compared to the Motolite, after a few rides it will become the new norm. The wide bars and short stem take some getting used to. Regardless, I can bunny hop the Scout higher, however, this is largely due to the dropper post.

Overall, the Scout is sturdy, stable at high speeds, likes to get airborne, and feels safe.

Why happened to my old Motolite? Sold it on Pinkbike, once I got the Scout there was no going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

I'm actually doing the opposite and running the fork at 150mm. I'd think 140mm would be plenty short and going any shorter might make it more prone to pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride Stony Creek. On a carbon hardtail with a Plus front and wide rims. It's fun.
    Are you moving soon? The Scout is way more travel than I would look at around here. Heavy too..
    You need to do an on trail demo before buying that bike.
    Even a Pivot 429 Trail is more than I'd want for fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I ride Stony Creek. On a carbon hardtail with a Plus front and wide rims. It's fun.
    Are you moving soon? The Scout is way more travel than I would look at around here. Heavy too..
    You need to do an on trail demo before buying that bike.
    Even a Pivot 429 Trail is more than I'd want for fun.
    My local trails are Poto, Brighton, the Ann Arbor City Loop, Island Lake (no need for suspension there, I ride my cx sometimes). One could argue that the Motolite is overkill for these trails but I like the suspension. And I have a sort-of-race hard tail as well.

I also like to have a full suspension bike for trips. Copper Harbor is a semi-regular stop, last year I rode the rocks around State College, PA, I have been out to Montana, etc.

Funny you mention the 429T. I have been eyeing that as it seems like a little more xc-friendly than many other modern trail bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ripley is another good choice
    I like bikes