Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Scout frame ordered - lets find other bits and pieces

It will be a long wait until Scout frame arrives to my garage. LBS estimates that somewhere in January might be doable. While waiting, I have time to collect other parts. For entertainment purposes, lets spec it together. Bolded components are already ordered, or in my hands.

-Frame: Scout size L
    -Fork: Pike RCT3 soloair
    -Headset: (type: ZS44/ZS56 tapered)
    -Gear group: SRAM XX1 or X01
    -Pedals: Egg Beater 3
    -Brakes: Shimano XTR BM-987M Race
    -Wheels: Should be at least 23mm internal width, not too heavy
    -Rubber: Schwalbe Nobby Nic + Rock Razor
    -Seatpost: RS Reverb
    -Saddle: Currently running RF Atlas and SDG I-Fly.
    -Stem: Renthal? 50-60mm
    -Bar: Renthal Carbon lite 740mm 10mm rise
    -Grips: Renthal medium lock on grips

Good deals within EU would be nice. LBS offerings are checked every now and then, but forum speculations doesn't cover them.
    Last edited by troh; 10-29-2014 at 02:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Seems that this is not collecting much interest. I still have. Yesterday I triggered brake selection and ordered XTR race brakes. Maybe they are too weight weenie, but if that's the case, they will found a way to my other bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looks good, wish i could afford a high end build for my Scout, but the stock Scout 2 will have to do for now.

Renthal carbon bars and the new Apex stem looks good.
    I was thinking Hans Dampf + Rock Razor for mine, but the new Nobby nic looks good too.

Let me know if you find cheap reverb stealths from somewhere

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Figuring out the specications plays a big part in my hobby. I like riding, but I like also specifying parts. My budget is about Scout 1. By doing it this way, I believe that I can match the price and get components I'm happy with. More than what is included in complete Scout.

At the moment I'm running Nobby Nic + Rock Razor at 26" size and 'm happy with the combo. I'll swap Nobby Nic also to rear when now comes down. Hans Dampf is not that much different. But, if good deal hits me, I might select HD as well.

Renthal fatbar carbon lite + Apex 50mm stem would found a proper dashboard. It would squece my wallet by ~200 if ordered from Bike-Components.

Cheapest reverb stealths are abut 249. Doesn't sound like bargain but rather list price.

mtbr member
    For budget around Scout 1 price, something like Hope hubs on WTB Frequency i23 or i25 rims, depending on your width preference, CRC are a decent price for these. If you are happy to skimp a bit on weight then the KOM i23.
    Alternatively for something a little nicer, the Ryde Race rims from Just Riding Along seem like a good choice.

mtbr member
    Also, I've not found any better prices than CRC for full SRAM groupsets at the moment, provided you are happy with OEM.
    Edit: Though now out of stock of XX1 & X01 so only any good if you are happy with X1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    CRC seems to have good prices for SRAM 1x groupsets. However, none in stock. X01 714.45 and XX1 837,95. Both groupsets have also chainring in picture, but no mention about BB.

Bike-Discount sells X01 for 799 without chainring, but BB included. XX1 899 without ring and BB is just GXP BB.

Bike-Components sells X01 for 779 with ring and BB. XX1 939 with ring and ceramic BB.

If CRC would have sometinhg in stock, they would win this bidding. Now B-C is winning as they have also good selection of Cane Creek 40-series headsets and Renthal Apex stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    And continuing to browse CRC. Their custom wheel build have a good reputation and building wheels by myself wont save a penny, I tried... Hope Pro2 evo hubs, DT comp spokes, nipple upgrade and WTB KOM i23 rims. Set costs 482.92. Not bad option. XD-freewheel comes on top of that. Total 566.

DT Swiss XM1501 costs typically 799 with XD driver. I just noticed that XXL (that norwegian sports store) sells DT XR1501 wheelset for 500. Shame they dont have XM1501... XRs are too narrow for my weight.

Superstarcomponents custom build DT 350 - Ryde Trace Trail - Sapim double butted - alloy nipples - XD driver would make 399.98 is about 510.

And chinese carbon for 415.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Check out if Action Sports Bike Onlineshop Or bike-mailorder Have the groupset you want, they have some discounts at the moment. Both have the Renthal Apex stem instock too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I also want to buy a Scout. Can someone recommend a good shop to purchase one from? I live in Southern California and see the Path in Orange County is a dealer, so I might just wait for them to have some in stock. Are these supposedly available around January?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    I also want to buy a Scout. Can someone recommend a good shop to purchase one from? I live in Southern California and see the Path in Orange County is a dealer, so I might just wait for them to have some in stock. Are these supposedly available around January?
    Had to up my post count by 1; haha!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    January delivery is estimated here at Europe. We can't wait for in stock status since that would never happen. Only way to buy Scout is by pre-order.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just noticed that complete bikes are specd with Nobby Nic tires, 2.35" front and 2.25" back. So question for Transition reps: Is this rear tire smaller due to you think that bike is snappier by this spec, or I so that 2.35" wont fit?

mtbr member
    "Frame Specs" recently added on the Transition site.

Max Tire Size = 27.5x2.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So fun to build your own spec.

The debonair that comes stock is a really good shock and better than most. If you have the opportunity - get the CC DB Inline - its a game changer and should really make the modified horst link work to it's best. I rode the debonair for about 2 months and than swapped to inline on my Norco Sight (also a modified horst). I can honestly say it's been the game changer on my bike.

All your other build ideas look good for this bike - X01 would be my choice for $ but with end of season deals and xtra coupons xx1 is getting close enuf in cost.

Wheels - always an interesting topic. Love my I9 hubs w I23 rims. If I make any more changes to my current build it will be a wide rim... my buddy bought the full I90 wheelset w 26mm internal width on the enduro rim. They are light and stiff - and we run same tires but his profile looks more natural and he's loving that.

good luck - will follow the progress. If i didnt have the Sight - this bike would be squarely at the top of my list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    27.5x2.5" tire clearance is OK for my plans. I have now ordered Nobby Nic snakeskin 2.35" tires for both end. As this bike will hopefully get into use during winter time, some knobs are preferred also at rear tire. For summer, I'll switch for Rock Razor. Unless something intresting rubber comes available.

I also got Easton Haven 55mm stem in my hands. It'll be used as a test part to help me decide, which size stem I'll get. As Scout effective seat tube angle is bit steeper than what it is in my current rig, it is bit difficult to calculate proper stem length. As I ordered Renthal carbon bar and Renthal grips, it would be logical to order also Renthal Apex stem. Cockpit selection locked.

Wheels are still a big questionmark. I9 hubs are nice. Chris King would also be nice. DT swiss is sort of default option. Rims shall be at least 23mm wide and hopefully less than 500g. Centerlock disc attachment is no-no. WTB KOM, Ryde trail, and so on. Or some factory set. Rim width, weight and rigidity plays a huge role on how bike feels.

Looks like DB inline is available in 190x50 size. Thus it would be possible. There is even a distributor in my country. Fillariosa - We Fix You Ride This upgrade have not been in my list even though I'm building sort of dream bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Parts start to flow to my garage: http://forums.mtbr.com/members/troh/albums/parts/

I'm not anymore sure, is this a good idea. It is a long wait until I get the frame and these nice parts don't make waiting any easier. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looks super nice Did you decide on the wheels yet? I have been eyeing Spank Oozy Trail295 wheels, decent price + ~440g rim sounds good to me.

Cant wait for mine to arrive, fingers crossed for some good winter/snow trails in January

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I haven't yet decided about wheels. It seems to be the biggest open item at the moment.
    • Spank Oozy 295 trail
    • DT Swiss custom with WTB KOM
    • DT Swiss custom with Ryde Trace Trail or Enduro
    • I9 Enduro
    • Syntace W35MX
    • DT Swiss XM1501
    • Chinese 35mm hookless carbon wheels with Novatec hubs
    • LBS might have some Specialized carbon hoops...
    • Hope - Notubes build.
    • Ibis derby carbon set, if LBS can deliver
    • NOX components carbon hoops from LBS
    • Some other wide and light rimmed set
    • Some cheap temporary solution

Hubs must be able to take SRAM XD cassette. Rims shall be less than 500g and internal width at least 23mm. Hubs should be something that lasts and woks also at sub zero temperature. Spokes... DT Swiss or Sapim. Double butted, or CX-ray style. Spare spokes should be available - just in case.

J0nttu: Are Spanks available via activebike.biz? (one of those small LBS) Or online?
    Last edited by troh; 11-06-2014 at 04:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Dont know if Activebike has them in stock, but i think they can order them for you if you want. If you want to go with the LBS route, ask MTB Centre in Kangasala too.

Bike24.com Has the rims in stock for 76,90 Bike24 - Spank Oozy Trail 295 Bead Bite 27,5" / 650B 32 Hole MTB-Rim - black
    They are on sale in Crc, but they only have the blue ones left in 27.5"

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So January frame arrival for Europe? I have been hearing November or December for the US.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    So January frame arrival for Europe? I have been hearing November or December for the US.
    Me to on about the US arrival. Talked to LBS a few days ago about getting the complete build on the Patrol. They said around December or so, maybe even January?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was told by my LBS when i ordered my Scout 2 that frames will leave Taiwan on start of November, and we should have them in EU in January.

So december for US?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by troh View Post
    It will be a long wait until Scout frame arrives to my garage. LBS estimates that somewhere in January might be doable. While waiting, I have time to collect other parts. For entertainment purposes, lets spec it together. Bolded components are already ordered, or in my hands.

-Frame: Scout size L
    -Fork: Pike RCT3 soloair
    -Headset: (type: ZS44/ZS56 tapered)
    -Gear group: SRAM XX1 or X01
    -Pedals: Egg Beater 3
    -Brakes: Shimano XTR BM-987M Race
    -Wheels: Should be at least 23mm internal width, not too heavy
    -Rubber: Schwalbe Nobby Nic + Rock Razor
    -Seatpost: RS Reverb
    -Saddle: Currently running RF Atlas and SDG I-Fly.
    -Stem: Renthal? 50-60mm
    -Bar: Renthal Carbon lite 740mm 10mm rise
    -Grips: Renthal medium lock on grips

Good deals within EU would be nice. LBS offerings are checked every now and then, but forum speculations doesn't cover them.
    What weight do you think you can get it down to?? Looks like your setting up an awesome build. Medium frame weight alone seems heavy though at 7.8lbs??? I am interested in this bike as well but frame weight may deter me from this. I have a trance advanced sx built up for enduro racing but want a lighter less travel trail bike. Tried anthem but to stiff and not enough travel for local trails. Would love to hear others thoughts on this thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have ordered size L frame and thus it'll be bit more.

3400g Transition Scout L
    1650g Rock Shox Pike 140mm RCT3
    44g Cane Creek 40er top ZS44
    76g Cane Creek 40er bottom ZS56
    650g SRAM XX1 cranks /w bb 32t
    105g SRAM XX1 trigger shifter
    220g SRAM XX1 deraileur
    250g SRAM XX1 chain
    260g SRAM XX1 casette
    266g Crank Brothers Egg Beater 3
    217g XTR XC Race Disc Brake BR-M987 750mm +PM180 adapter
    153g Shimano Disc Rotor XT SM-RT76 180mmg
    210g XTR XC Race Disc Brake BR-M997 1500mm
    160g Avid HS-1 160mm
    835g DT swiss XM1501 rear wheel XD
    745g DT swiss XM1501 front wheel
    690g Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35" Snakeskin
    690g Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35" Snakeskin
    520g RockShox Reverb 31.6 x125 MMX
    220g Charge Spoon saddle
    25g Seat clamp
    127g Renthal Apex 50mm
    114g Renthal Lock-On grips M dark
    177g Renthal Fatbar carbon lite 10x740

Total pretty close to 12kg == ~26.5lbs. Bolded weights are verifyed. Others are quesses. I didn't select any component by weight even though it might look like. Frame is clearly not the lighest possile, but I selected it by geometry, pivot locations and looks. As I'm not feather weight myself, one kilo extra on top of some carbon frames won't have any measurable imapct on my riding. My current Commencal Meta55 frame is about the same weight. Change from XX1 to X01 would gain bit more weight, but I might still do it for more black appearance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast