Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Scout frame ordered - lets find other bits and pieces

9K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  troh 
#1 · (Edited)
It will be a long wait until Scout frame arrives to my garage. LBS estimates that somewhere in January might be doable. While waiting, I have time to collect other parts. For entertainment purposes, lets spec it together. Bolded components are already ordered, or in my hands.

-Frame: Scout size L
-Fork: Pike RCT3 soloair
-Headset: Cane Creek forty ZS44/ZS56 tapered
-Gear group: SRAM X01 with 32t chainring
-Pedals: Egg Beater 3
-Brakes: Shimano XTR BM-987M Race
-Wheels: Ryde Trace Enduro / Sapim race / Superstrar Tesla
-Rubber: Schwalbe Nobby Nic + Rock Razor
-Seatpost: KS Lev integra 150mm
-Saddle: SQ Lab
-Stem: Renthal Apex
-Bar: Renthal Carbon lite 740mm 10mm rise
-Grips: Renthal medium lock on grips

Good deals within EU would be nice. LBS offerings are checked every now and then, but forum speculations doesn't cover them.

Edit: Everything sourced. Just waiting for frame and fork to arrive...

See less See more
#36 ·
This project has been in background processing lately due to frame delivery time is so far in future. At the moment I'm waiting it to arrive during March. Pinkbike review didn't make waiting any easier.

In the meanwhile I was pointed to EU source for American Classic brand. They have Wide lightning wheelset range. Would it be too brave move? AMERICAN CLASSIC 2014 Wheelset WIDE LIGHTNING 27.5'' 15/12x142 mm Black - ALLTRICKS
1465g is lightning light! 29.3mm internal width is wide. No rider weight limit. Shall I believe? 519€ is not that big money when you compare it to other options. But is this too light?

#40 · (Edited)
I've had the AC All-mountain 29 wheels for 3 years now and had no problems. The hubs are the quietest and smoothest I've ever had in any wheelset. I weigh almost 100kg with gear so unless you're like 20kg more I think you won't have any problems if you get the Wide Lightnings even though they're a bit lighter than the AM wheels.

American Classic Wide Lightning 29"er Wheels: Final Review

I've ordered the Smuggler 2 but I'm tempted to sell the WTB wheels and get the Wide Lightnings from alltricks, they are cheap there!

P.s. You haven't started a Scout thread at fillarifoorumi yet? ;)

#43 ·
Twentynineinch review of AC Wide lightning seems to concentrate to the same issue than I: Are those wheels too light, will they be able to handle riding under bit rougher terrain. Now you, PersonaX and review both are suggesting me to believe. Suddenly Alltricks have sold their stock of wheels. R2-bikes are asking higher price and at the moment I don't know any other source in EU. But as bikes are still waiting at dock somewhere in Washington/US, I not in hurry.

#45 ·
Well I've got a scout 2 that should be here shortly. Since I've been waiting on it to arrive, I've collected some upgrades for mine. I went with a KS LEV Integra dropper, Renthal FatBar Lite Carbon bars, Renthal Duo stem, Industry Nine Torch Trail 32H wheelset, maxxis ardent for the rear, maxxis minion dhf for the front, Race Face Aeffect saddle, Race Face Next SL crankset.

I probably could've build a frame up like you did for about the same. Oh well.

#46 ·
Snow is melting and you others are posting Scout build threads. My frame order have somehow slipped to late March patch. This is not easy living. :D Distributor is able to deliver me a TransAm next week and thus my biking needs are served at minimum level. I'm still waiting for Scout to arrive.

While waiting, parts bin fillers haven't been coming to my garage. Only one bit, KS LEV integra. Not the lightest post, but as droppers are nowadays mandatory for this kind of bike, I'll take that penalty.

#49 ·
Everything else have arrived to my garage except frame and fork from Transition.

originally I though I would receive Scout during winter and thus I purchased pair of Nobby Nics. Since snow have melted away, I wanted to have something better rolling for back. Thus Rock Razor

Then I settled to SRAM X01 group. Its blacker than XX1, cheaper and I don't think there would be a big difference on functionality nor endurance. Weight is bit higher though.

Funny that no cable outer came with X01 trigger. Cheap price must be done somehow.

XX1 group would have had ceramic bottom bracket bearings. This is now a compromise in my build as I settled to this grey GXP team bottom bracket.
http://forums.mtbr.com/members/troh/albums/parts/975691-wp-20150322-11-13-43-rich-1/

I wanted to have black cranks and plan was to select X01 and then remove the spider and attach direct mount chainring. However, it looks like no dealer is stocking 32t directmount ring. A second compromise in drivetrain.

And as BB height is low in Scout, some protection to those carbon cranks are needed.

No images of wheels yet. They arrived yesterday evening. As I have enjoyed Ryde Trace Enduro rims in my TransAm, I decided to order similar set for Scout as well. Its not the lightest set, but I wanted something wide.

"The Scout is couple weeks away, ports are still unpredictable" states local distributor. After couple of weeks, it still takes one week to arrive here at the opposite side of globe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.