mtbr member
    May 2004

Scout, excellent all around trail bike but sluggish climber

NOT knocking my Scout – it’s a smooth riding bike
    If anything, the rider needs to ride better and with better technique and body placement
    STILL work on cornering better and a F*K ton less braking.
    Anyway, does anyone find the stock aluminum bikes…a bit sluggish?
    We have a lot of climbing here in the foothills of Boise, Idaho and
    I feel like I’m pulling an extra 3-5 lbs – which really adds up.
    My body weight is below a fit BMI – so it’s not me.
    One guy here told me, regarding getting a set of light carbon hoops that
    “they would make me never regret not having a carbon frame”
    I don’t know about that – unless a nice set of wheels would drop like 2-5 lbs from this bike.
    So yeah, I’m “complaining” about the weight a bit
    Flame away
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've used my aluminium Scout (14kg/30.8lb) for some pretty epic XC rides and races and while I'd agree it's not mind-blowing on the climbs it more than makes up for it on the descents.

FWIW, I don't think any of the bikes in the same design category (Evil Calling, Whyte T130, Kona Process 134) climb any better really.

I'd spend the difference and get the carbon option next time but aside from that I'm not sure I could make mine much lighter without compromising its durability and confidence on the descents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The smuggler comes with a light tune on the rear shock, the scout might also. I moved up to a MM tune and am liking it better. (I'm 190lbs)

App-a-LATCH-un

Scout, excellent all around trail bike but sluggish climber

I tried a 28t oval and it seemed harder to pedal than a 30t oval ring, like more wallowing. Also I have found sag is very important on pedaling platform on this bike. When I have the suspension set about right, I am surprised how efficient it feels. When set up right on a good day it feels snappier than my old Trance with maestro did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    From what I've seen, the pivot location is optimised for a 32T chainring. Running smaller might be actually counter-productive.

ride
    The Scout is an excellent climber but portly wheels make a huge difference. Lighter wheels will definitely make it feel zippy. Don't go carbon on the rims if you live in a rocky environment and ding your al rims. A nice light hubset and good lightish durable al rims will get you where you want to be.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    My Scout is actually a very lively climber and I prefer it over the SB4.5 I had. Very well balanced and predicable in the techy climbs and easy to manage on the mundane climbs. Right now I have a Float X on it and it can handle everything. Two weeks ago my buddy and I knocked out the Triple H in Sedona and the weekend after I hit the Mag 7. Both had a significant amount of climbing and tech and the Scout never held me back.

Also get the carbon wheels but invest in good tires. Get the Maxxis DD or the Schwable Gravity Star casings.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I live in Boise as well, and ride the scout with a float x and carbon wheels with not so light tires (high roller 2 and minion ss), also ride a trans am 29 and would say they actually climb about the same speed. At least i seem to top out the climbs at about the same rate. The scout is better at sitting and spinning. Not much tech here to climb but I would say its better at that too.

Getting lighter hoops not necessarily carbon with quick engaging hubs helps a ton especially if you have poor cadence or are climbing a lot in your absolute lowest gear, which as I know first hand can happen a lot here especially if you are putting in a 30 mile day in the foothills.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hello! Sry for not perfect english, i'm from Austria.
    I'm thinking about of buying a (carbon) Scout because my daily ride looks like this:

Several Kilometers on flat street - steep uphill on street and forest with roots an technical sections - playful ride down - Back home on flat street.

My Enduro (Cavalerie Anakin) is too much for that.
    I would build up the Scout with a light BOS Dizzy or Manitou Minute 140mm (my weight is 70kg) and change Tires and fork to 160mm for rough stuff like Bikepark (rooty Flowtrails without big jumps or Drops).

I'm only scared about the low BB-height!? Would this be a problem for my uphills?
    Should i directly put in a 150/160mm fork?

Thanks for every experience/opinion!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    puitl
    Sound like the perfect bike for you needs.
    Transition told me that 150 fork is ok 160 is not.
    I have no more pedal strike on my scout than on other bikes I've owned.
    I love mine.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yeah i do also think so
    Only the low BB do me scare off a tittle bit because i also would like to built it up with a 140mm fork in cause of the low weight.

I read in a transition interview that they say the people should not scare about trying 150 or even 160 fork...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've read that 160mm is ok as well. But 150mm is heaps for me anyway. I think it will be fine - don't worry about the BB height.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by puitl View Post
    Hello! Sry for not perfect english, i'm from Austria.
    I'm thinking about of buying a (carbon) Scout because my daily ride looks like this:

Several Kilometers on flat street - steep uphill on street and forest with roots an technical sections - playful ride down - Back home on flat street.

My Enduro (Cavalerie Anakin) is too much for that.
    I would build up the Scout with a light BOS Dizzy or Manitou Minute 140mm (my weight is 70kg) and change Tires and fork to 160mm for rough stuff like Bikepark (rooty Flowtrails without big jumps or Drops).

I'm only scared about the low BB-height!? Would this be a problem for my uphills?
    Should i directly put in a 150/160mm fork?

Thanks for every experience/opinion!
    Hi Putti,
    I live in Zurich and ride Swiss alpine Freeride with my scout every weekend. The bike is incredible for such conditions. It is a great climber and incredibly fun descender. It will handle big drops even though the numbers might make you think you need something more. This bike is the hot-hatches of bikes and really takes the piss out of anyone buying an enduro bike. The scout is 10 times more fun than any enduro bike and everyone I know who has tried it is amazed at how it just begs you to let loose on the DH. The low bottom bracket and short chain-stay mean the bike is super fun and nailed to the ground. Also the 67 HA means that the bike is very manoeuvrable and intend of over simplifying trails, brings them to life.
    Hope this helps.. Don't hesitate, the Scout will put a smile on your face from the moment you leave your home to the long after you return.