Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Scout Build Thread

277K views 1K replies 178 participants last post by  rhysjenz 
#1 ·
Just got mine built last night and got a quick lunch ride on it today. Pretty much works as advertised. Pedals well under power and handles like it is on rails.

*Not really sure why I got some weird double image on this post.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Such a sweet looking bike...Just trying to find a way to justify getting a Scout frame for myself.

Feel like doing a bit of a ride report? curious to know how it rides compared with other bikes you've been on. How does the long reach and short stay feel? I'm uncertain about this whole new school long reach thing as I like a tight cockpit for descending so I'm curious to know how it feels. I bet it rails corners with the low bb and short stays

#6 ·
I got the bike built up on 2/18/15 and have about 70+ miles on it so far. I have owned a Preston, Dirtbag, Bottle Rocket, Blindside, Bandit 26, Carbon Covert, Bandit 27.5 and now the Scout. You might say I am well versed in riding Transition Bikes. I have also owned a Yeti SB-66c and ridden a multitude of other bikes.

The Scout is fantastic. There is a small amount of pedal bob when casually pedaling down the street and cruising on flat trail. When you start to really put the power down the suspension firms up and the result is forward momentum. In my opinion this is a welcome change. Transition bikes have always been supremely fun to ride but not exactly the most efficient. Whether that is important to you or not depends on personal preference.

The "new" geometry takes a bit to get used to. I am 5'8" so I sit squarely on a medium. I first installed a 50mm stem. The bike felt good on climbs but I felt a bit stretched out on the downhill. I went for a ride last night with a 35mm stem installed. I don't feel like I gave up too much on the climbing position and the downhill felt much better, much more playful. I have a 40mm stem on the way and I think that is going to be my sweet spot. The new geometry does put you inside the wheels and I really like that for cornering. I teach mtb clinics where I live and I think the techniques I preach for cornering become easier with this geometry. With a shorter stem the bike came alive when needing to lift the front wheel and quickly airing out over sections of trail. The bottom bracket is super low and will require attention when pedaling through rocky terrain. I think this is just something to adjust to and not really a negative.

I hope this helps some of you in your decision making and fire away with questions if you need more info.

#16 ·
Ivan,
I'm just at 5'7" tall. Would you feel that I would fit on a medium sized frame? Hope you don't mind, your are fairly close in size and considering that you teach riding I'm sure you would have a eye for sizing.
I'm always right in the middle of a small and med frame. Small frames usually feel to cramped but that was on the older school frame sizing. As a reference, my last bike was a medium Turner RFX. About 22"-22.5" top tube.

Thanks, Robert

I got the bike built up on 2/18/15 and have about 70+ miles on it so far. I have owned a Preston, Dirtbag, Bottle Rocket, Blindside, Bandit 26, Carbon Covert, Bandit 27.5 and now the Scout. You might say I am well versed in riding Transition Bikes. I have also owned a Yeti SB-66c and ridden a multitude of other bikes.

The Scout is fantastic. There is a small amount of pedal bob when casually pedaling down the street and cruising on flat trail. When you start to really put the power down the suspension firms up and the result is forward momentum. In my opinion this is a welcome change. Transition bikes have always been supremely fun to ride but not exactly the most efficient. Whether that is important to you or not depends on personal preference.

The "new" geometry takes a bit to get used to. I am 5'8" so I sit squarely on a medium. I first installed a 50mm stem. The bike felt good on climbs but I felt a bit stretched out on the downhill. I went for a ride last night with a 35mm stem installed. I don't feel like I gave up too much on the climbing position and the downhill felt much better, much more playful. I have a 40mm stem on the way and I think that is going to be my sweet spot. The new geometry does put you inside the wheels and I really like that for cornering. I teach mtb clinics where I live and I think the techniques I preach for cornering become easier with this geometry. With a shorter stem the bike came alive when needing to lift the front wheel and quickly airing out over sections of trail. The bottom bracket is super low and will require attention when pedaling through rocky terrain. I think this is just something to adjust to and not really a negative.

I hope this helps some of you in your decision making and fire away with questions if you need more info.

#7 ·
Thanks for the review man. I am dying for my scout frame to get here. One question, what travel are you running your fork at? I am getting a new 36 and I am trying to decide on 140 or 150. The axle to crown on the new 36 fork is actually 3 mm lower than a Pike, so I should be good either way.

#8 ·
I am running the Mattoc at 140 because I wanted to see how the bike handled with the geometry Transition designed the bike for. I think it works really well but I think I will eventually bump it to 150 to give it a slight increase in BB height and pedal clearance without really changing the nature of the bike.

#9 ·
Hey that's some great feedback bud, thx for that.

I Ride a 2014 covert 650b and feel the same about the ride, feels great and fun when pointed downhill but kinda cumbersome and overkill on anything that requires peddling. Keen on trying the new platform and the smaller amount of travel, think it will really give a lively super fun rid. Took me a while to even get used to the longer reach that the covert had and the new scouts are even longer so it's good to hear you felt good with a 35mm stem. I'm 5'8 as well.

You've almost got me going down the the lbs and putting down some $. Hard to justify when I just bought a new bike but the scout just seems like such a perfect bike for the trails I ride.

#10 ·
I got out for another ride yesterday afternoon and am confident that most people would want to run a shorter stem with this new geometry. Manualing and moving the bike about is much easier with the 35mm stem than with the 50mm. In my opinion this is sort of how the bike was designed and meant to be ridden but that certainly can be different depending on your height. The more I ride this bike the more I like it. Yesterday I rode a trail that has you charging through some rock sections and the bike is unflappable. Never once did I feel like I was overwhelming the travel or slowed down because of it. The bike is quiet and feels super solid.

#11 ·
That's awesome that you feel the bike handled the rough stuff no worries. It's tempting to go with the longer travel Patrol for that reason but if the Scout can handle mostly anything without a worry and be more nimble and fun on the flatter trails it sounds like the perfect bike.

I was reading a Patrol review I believe Decline did and they just kept raving about how well it cornered. I'm assuming with the even lower bb and shorter stays the Scout must rail corners like a demon. What's your thoughts on how the Scout feels in the corners compared with other bikes you've been on?

#12 ·
I have been riding my Scout for several weeks now with a 50mm stem. I am shopping a 40mm stem currently. It is funny to me that with this new geometry that 50mm is considered long, but my experience is holding it to be true. I think the front end will come up easier and the bike will ride better with the shorter stem. Which 35mm stem did you run with Ivan?

Also, this bike corners very well. Better than the SC Blur TR I was on previously. Way better actually. Also the stiffness of the suspension is amazing. I didn't know it at the time but the Blur TR is a noodle compared to the Scout.

#13 ·
For my local trails I am a fan of the travel and playful nature of the Scout. We don't have a lot of tight turns on our local trails, at least not the ones that are rideable right now, but the bike does corner really well and the stout nature of the bike (laterally) is noticeable. Of the bikes I have ridden to date this thing is easily on par with or surpasses them in cornering.

#19 ·
I really like the way the medium feels. I have a 40mm stem and the bike feels perfect. It really all comes down to what you are looking for. On our trails I am digging the wheelbase and stability. This geometry really puts you inside the wheels when out of the saddle and it makes it corner like a beast.

#21 ·
Thanks! It is a very sweet bike! I did find a sizing chart on transitions website and does recommend a medium frame for my height.

I have a medium Warden but feel it's a bit big for me but I really want a smaller, more flickable fun bike for the majority of the trails I ride on. Plus I take the 56 year old wifey out riding on her FSR trail bike. So the Scout looks like a top contender!

May I ask where you ride at mostly?

#22 ·
I live in Boise, Idaho. We don't have an abundance of technical trails but the bike performs well on the ones we do have. Our local rides consist of lots of loose over hard pack fast flowy trails. The reach on the small is still pretty long so I don't think you would feel cramped if you go that route and it may suit your riding style/trails better.

#29 ·
Ivan, I have a Scout on the way. How do you like the 150mm front compared to the 140mm? I'm thinking the same way-more travel, a little slacker and higher bottom bracket. All those things seem to be good additions to this bike. I'll probably do like you did and ride it for a while as is and then make it 150 and try it. I live in tri-cities, wa so probably similar trails if a little less elevation. I do make trips to the mountains too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.