Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Eminent Goofball
    Doughnuts,

I'm not a fan of dropper posts. Unnecessarily heavy. Unnecessarily expensive. Unnecessarily complex. People way more rad than me have ridden without them for decades. And the Scout frame comes with a quick release post clamp. I can replace that every season or two for a couple bucks if I decide to get rowdy and need to drop the post once in a while.

And frankly, anyone riding a dropper post on their XC or trail bike in southeast Wisconsin is a poser.

~ Chris

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cjlavesser View Post
    Doughnuts,

I'm not a fan of dropper posts. Unnecessarily heavy. Unnecessarily expensive. Unnecessarily complex. People way more rad than me have ridden without them for decades. And the Scout frame comes with a quick release post clamp. I can replace that every season or two for a couple bucks if I decide to get rowdy and need to drop the post once in a while.

And frankly, anyone riding a dropper post on their XC or trail bike in southeast Wisconsin is a poser.

~ Chris
    you are an idiot.

Even on flat trail with pumping a dropper will let you ride faster.

Manually dropping the post is lame as you end up not having down all the time you want it down, or up all the time you want it up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Doughnuts,

~ Chris
    You should give one a chance before you condemn them. There's a reason they are considered one of the best innovations in MTB ing

Video: Top 10 Mountain Bike Innovations | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

You would be surprised how often you use a dropper. I don't just use mine on steep descents, or bombing down the trail......I use mine on many technical features like log crossings, bridges, starting off on a steep incline, balance features, rock gardens, etc etc. There are so many times it's good to be lower to the ground......and the closer you are to the ground the less you have to fall.

Now I have never been to Wisonsin, but surely all the trails there can't be flat and featureless?
    Last edited by BluePitch; 09-29-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Eminent Goofball
    You should give one a chance before you condem them.
    I've actually tried them several times, on a few different bikes. I spent some time in Moab and Fruita, riding longer-travel trail bikes on some of the wonderful trails out there. Even descending Captain Ahab, I didn't need the dropper. More often than not, it just frustrated me.

Then after we spent time out west, I came home and rode some more demo bikes with droppers. They aren't necessary here. And if something is going to add weight, complexity, and cost to my bike, it damn well better not piss me off regularly. And more often than not, the droppers just pissed me off. They don't earn their keep on my bike.

I have no doubt that many people benefit from them, but in these parts, when I see someone on a 2015 S-Works Epic 29er with an aftermarket dropper, I giggle a little. I giggle even more when my wife passes that dude on her 5" travel Rocky Thunderbolt without a dropper.

Droppers have their place, no doubt. But for many many people, it's a fashion accessory.

Maybe, like the other dude said, I'm an idiot. But I still have $400 in my pocket, and a smile on my face.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    whats funny is this guy is winning CX races with a dropper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2nb4cdewzU

The thing is given equal rides and bikes I can not see how a fixed post is faster.

You can do everything except for pedal with a dropped seat post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    whats funny is this guy is winning CX races with a dropper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2nb4cdewzU

The thing is given equal rides and bikes I can not see how a fixed post is faster.

You can do everything except for pedal with a dropped seat post.
    I pedal all the time with the post dropped, but I'm standing when I do.....and sometimes I do pedal with a dropped seat post sitting down, brings me back to the BMX days.

Eminent Goofball
    I think if someone is really talented and fit, and they are already pushing the limits of what they can achieve on their bike, then they're going to get some benefit from a dropper. No doubt. If you're riding a lot of gravity stuff, you're going to be more comfortable (and probably safer) with a dropper.

But for most people, I think their $400 is better spent on a roadtrip to some new terrain they've never ridden. Their riding will improve more from this, and they'll be happier.

If you collected up a bunch of data on riders, you would find that droppers are not making average riders fast - experience and fitness are going to be more influential factors.

In the past 6 months I've been able to rent or demo 3 different bikes with droppers from 3 different manufacturers. I spent a couple days in Fruita, a couple days in Moab, and another day here in Wisconsin. For 2 of those opportunities the bike shops actually took the time to fit the dropper for me. I found all three of them to be kluge-y and lame.

The glossy magazines, YouTube videos, and sponsored athletes can tell me all they want about droppers. MOST riders don't need a dropper; if they're disappointed with their riding, they need to learn to ride. Then, and only then, should they buy a dropper.

The people passing me on rides aren't passing me because they're riding a dropper - because most of them aren't riding a dropper. They're passing me because they are more fit or more talented or both. It's that simple.

If I was riding out west more, I'd be getting passed by more people on droppers. But again, it would be their experience, fitness, and talent that mattered. The dropper would be a personal preference arrived at by a talented rider.

I'm going to continue kicking it old-school.

BushwackerInPA, Footnote: I was out in Pennsylvania riding the Allegrippis trails about 8 weeks ago. Flowy, flowy, fun! Great riding. My wife and I were grinning like little kids. I wish I'd had my Scout for that trip.

mtbr member
    These Scouts are awesome! Man I wish I had the money...and two less cats...one less car payment...and it wasn't my wife's turn to buy something!!!

mtbr member
    I finished my build, and will hopefully take it out for its maiden crash tomorrow:

Medium 2016 Scout frame
    2016 Fox Float 34 - 140mm
    Hubs: Hope Evo Pro 2
    Rims: Stans ZTR Arch EX
    Cranks: Race Face Next SL Cinch w/ 28t ring
    Bars: Race Face Next SL 3/4" riser
    Stem: Spank Spike 35mm
    OneUp Chain Guide
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36 converted to 11-40 w/ OneUp kit
    Rear derailleur and shifter: XT
    Brakes: Shimano XT M8000
    Rotors: SRAM
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    BB: Race Face

Attachment 1018355
    Nice bike! If you don't mind, how tall are you?

Trying to get an idea of the frame sizing.

Eminent Goofball
    Nice bike! If you don't mind, how tall are you?

Trying to get an idea of the frame sizing.
    I'm 5' 9" tall, and I have a 30" inseam.
    The medium fits me really well.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 9" tall, and I have a 30" inseam.
    The medium fits me really well.

Thank you! A medium may be a bit large for me at 5'6".
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

Eminent Goofball
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Thank you! A medium may be a bit large for me at 5'6".
    I like this chart that Transition provides for the Scout: Size Chart

Looking at this, you can probably make a more informed decision on small vs. medium. If you're all torso and no legs, perhaps you'll like the longer cockpit of the medium. But if you're more evenly dimensioned, maybe the small will be easier to manhandle in the playful stuff.

mtbr member
    I do not have a dealer near me, where can I order a frame?

Thanks,

btw I read the whole dropper rant and I never thought I needed one, until my current bike came equipped with one and now I love it. I would rather spend 400 bucks on a dropper than any other part of the bike. All my riding biddies still dont believe the hype though....
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

Eminent Goofball
    I do not have a dealer near me, where can I order a frame?
    I was in the same situation, with no local dealers. I called Transition directly and they shipped a frame to my house. It took a couple calls to get through to someone, but once I got hold of them, they were quite helpful.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ready to roll..

Scout Build Thread-img_3081_1.jpg

mtbr member
    After my Patrol was stolen a month ago, now on a Scout because I was curious. So far so good! Thanks to Kevin and the crew for helping get me back on two wheels quick!

Scout Build Thread-img_2625.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    After my Patrol was stolen a month ago, now on a Scout because I was curious. So far so good! Thanks to Kevin and the crew for helping get me back on two wheels quick!
    When bike thieves are caught they need to be pepper sprayed and walloped with a rice bag full of beer cans....over and over again...

Wondering about switching from my Scout 1 to a Carbon Patrol. Love my bike but am considering if this is worth it? Can you shed any light on the differences you've experienced? I'm thinking some reserve extra travel may be nice when your smoked on the trail and just let your bike take over and monster truck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
    When bike thieves are caught they need to be pepper sprayed and walloped with a rice bag full of beer cans....over and over again...

Wondering about switching from my Scout 1 to a Carbon Patrol. Love my bike but am considering if this is worth it? Can you shed any light on the differences you've experienced? I'm thinking some reserve extra travel may be nice when your smoked on the trail and just let your bike take over and monster truck.
    Honestly, I think you would be happy on either bike. When I had my Patrol, I told myself "This thing pedals fine, I don't need a scout!", now I own a Scout and I would say "this thing shreds hard AND pedals great, who needs a Patrol!". I can understand it being a hard decision to make between the two because they both are so good in their own ways. You won't be held back on anything by a Scout, and you can pedal up the longest, steepest climbs your legs can handle on the Patrol (think traction). They just feel a little different.

For me, I think the Scout is going to be better than the Patrol because of the typically tight woods and slower/techy styles of trails that are prevalent in my local riding area. Being a little shorter wheelbase and steeper head angle compared to the Patrol is actually a good thing. But that's just me and the trails I ride, you have to decide for yourself!

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A few people with the DBInline, how's the tuning?

Me:
    About 85kg riding weight
    1 large blue spacer
    135psi
    HSC: 2.5
    LSC: 6
    HSR: 3.5
    LSR: 10
    (all from open)

Only 2 rides in still getting used to the bike so more tuning ahead.

mtbr member
    Well if my old Santa Cruz had a dropper I wouldn't have dislocated my collar bone at the sternum. I don't care what anybody says about skill level. Using a dropper allows you to lower your body's center of gravity and to get behind the bars a bit more. It's also convenient. How many times does the guy who doesn't have one go down a trail wishing he'd adjust his post beforehand? I wish I had before my injury, and now living with a big lump below my neck for the rest of my life.

By the way, thinking of selling my Scout 1. Large frame, black. Has Guide RSC brakes w/ the stock ice tech rotors. I'll probably keep it but that carbon Patrol may be too nice to pass up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scout Build Thread-1412260_10205596138094153_6280053320713934071_o-2.jpg  

Scout Build Thread-img_1192.jpg  

Scout Build Thread-img_1194.jpg  

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    Quote Originally Posted by ptd View Post
    Ready to roll..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3081_1.JPG 
Views:	1881 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	1019691
    Good Looking rig!!!

Were you able to ride it with the Monarch before switching to the CCDBI? Let us know how it rides!

Curious cause I may want to change to Fox or the the CC.
    [B]Chillin...Riding I hopeB]

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crazbiker4 View Post
    Good Looking rig!!!

Were you able to ride it with the Monarch before switching to the CCDBI? Let us know how it rides!

Curious cause I may want to change to Fox or the the CC.
    No I just took the plunge, came off a bike with the DBAir and enjoy having all the adjustments (hence the 36 up front @ 150mm).
    A lot to take in after being on a 160mm bike, and only 2 rides in, but in that short time have been able to change the characteristics as expected.. just need to work out what actually works!

Would be great if I had the standard Monarch also, so I could say if it's worth it! It is in my head anyway!
    If the DBInline blows up then not sure what I'd try..

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    Quote Originally Posted by ptd View Post
    No I just took the plunge, came off a bike with the DBAir and enjoy having all the adjustments (hence the 36 up front @ 150mm).
    A lot to take in after being on a 160mm bike, and only 2 rides in, but in that short time have been able to change the characteristics as expected.. just need to work out what actually works!

Would be great if I had the standard Monarch also, so I could say if it's worth it! It is in my head anyway!
    If the DBInline blows up then not sure what I'd try..
    The Monarch works good and I have not had any issues with it, probably the main reason I want to change is to match my 36 lol.... but sometimes over multiple hits (root beds) it seems harsher then bikes with similar travel with Fox rear shocks that i have ridden.

Do not be afraid to push the Scout, I came from riding a Bottle Rocket and ride the Scout just as hard and have not have had any issues or doubt!! Like I tell everyone else, this is the bike I have always wanted.... Shorter travel bike with aggressive geo that pedals well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    hi, lot's of nice scout builds here... can anyone tell me what is the largest rear tire that will fit in the scout...preferably a wtb trailblazer 2.8 on a 30mm rim? thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Scout Build

2016 Transitions Scout

Scout Build Thread-unnamed.jpg

Stans Arch Wheels
    Nobby Nic 2.35 Tires
    Hope Pro2 Evo Hubs
    Thomson Covert Dropper
    Race Face Aeffect Saddle
    Hope Headset
    Hope Tech/E4 Brakes
    SRAM X01 Crank
    SRAM X01 1x11 Shifter and Deraileur
    Fox 2016 34 Float 140mm Fork

The 34 fork is way smoother than the Pike I have on my other bike. I was debating between the 34, 36, and the Pike so I called Transition and they told me they all rode the 34 and liked it. Glad I went with the 34. The Thomson dropper works great except-I can only take it about 2cm lower so if I needed a lower seat height I would be in trouble.

The bike is great. The biggest thing I have been impressed with is how I can crawl down the rocks or launch off them and the bike does equally well. I have yet to corner this bike hard enough to make it slide. I think the Debonair shock works great for this bike-definetly need to watch the Transition video on how to set it up. My other bike is a Trek Remedy 29 with the new fancy formula one fox rear shock and the pedaling efficiency is almost as good. Seated pedal bob is pretty much non existent.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The "want" is strong with this bike. I'm just waiting on someone coming by and complain about how 125mm rear wheel travel is not enough but noone...

Thinking on making the swtich from an Enduro29 but the fact that I could only buy a frame for the price of my whole bike is putting me off. Maybe for my next bike after a couple of years. And honestly, I do like the E29.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toronte View Post
    The "want" is strong with this bike. I'm just waiting on someone coming by and complain about how 125mm rear wheel travel is not enough but noone...

Thinking on making the swtich from an Enduro29 but the fact that I could only buy a frame for the price of my whole bike is putting me off. Maybe for my next bike after a couple of years. And honestly, I do like the E29.
    Transition has the rear dialed in. I bottomed out the rear for the first time since I bought the bike the other day. I landed flat off a drop and it was the first time the ring slid off the shock. I was riding at a bike park and was riding with the pressure I usually ride with on the trail. I should have put a little more air in before I started but.....I like the way it rides at that pressure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    But how does it climb you ask...just damn fine. This bike climbs without issue on any surface; gravel, technical, single track, switchbacks..etc.Scout Build Thread-dsc02303.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have been taking the Scout to the bike park the last few weekends. While I'm no expert, I would never claim to be extreme, and I rarely go big.......I just turned 42, the bike is so much fun in the park. The flow trails are where this bike is so much fun. Lower the seat, give it the gas, and wait till the last second.....now turn. So much fun. While my age has made me cautious with the jumps, it still handles my less than stellar skills in the air with near bottomless feel. I land in the flats often, rather than clearing the table tops like most, and so far I have only once bottomed out the rear.

Scout Build Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    I think if someone is really talented and fit, and they are already pushing the limits of what they can achieve on their bike, then they're going to get some benefit from a dropper. No doubt. If you're riding a lot of gravity stuff, you're going to be more comfortable (and probably safer) with a dropper.

But for most people, I think their $400 is better spent on a roadtrip to some new terrain they've never ridden. Their riding will improve more from this, and they'll be happier.

If you collected up a bunch of data on riders, you would find that droppers are not making average riders fast - experience and fitness are going to be more influential factors.

In the past 6 months I've been able to rent or demo 3 different bikes with droppers from 3 different manufacturers. I spent a couple days in Fruita, a couple days in Moab, and another day here in Wisconsin. For 2 of those opportunities the bike shops actually took the time to fit the dropper for me. I found all three of them to be kluge-y and lame.

The glossy magazines, YouTube videos, and sponsored athletes can tell me all they want about droppers. MOST riders don't need a dropper; if they're disappointed with their riding, they need to learn to ride. Then, and only then, should they buy a dropper.

The people passing me on rides aren't passing me because they're riding a dropper - because most of them aren't riding a dropper. They're passing me because they are more fit or more talented or both. It's that simple.

If I was riding out west more, I'd be getting passed by more people on droppers. But again, it would be their experience, fitness, and talent that mattered. The dropper would be a personal preference arrived at by a talented rider.

BushwackerInPA, Footnote: I was out in Pennsylvania riding the Allegrippis trails about 8 weeks ago. Flowy, flowy, fun! Great riding. My wife and I were grinning like little kids. I wish I'd had my Scout for that trip.

I remember hearing this stuff during the first years of disc brakes too! Lol
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Are some of you willing to fully weigh in on the BB height? There's a couple mentions through the thread, but nothing too deep. 13" is lowwww, particularly for Southern Utah terrain. I'm coming from a 5.Spot and the Patrol is also a contender (BB not much higher), but if the Scouts rear is as "bottomless" as reported it's a much more practical fit than the Patrol for my general riding.

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    Quote Originally Posted by dharris View Post
    Are some of you willing to fully weigh in on the BB height? There's a couple mentions through the thread, but nothing too deep. 13" is lowwww, particularly for Southern Utah terrain. I'm coming from a 5.Spot and the Patrol is also a contender (BB not much higher), but if the Scouts rear is as "bottomless" as reported it's a much more practical fit than the Patrol for my general riding.
    At first I could tell the difference but now that I am used to it it does not bother me at all. I am on a 2015, the 2016 got a 5mm BB rise. When pedaling over root beds sometimes I strike but I also am used to it so I know when to pedal and when to pause for a sec to clear the root. Also, get some crank boots!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The bottom bracket is low there is no doubt about it. I live in upstate NY and our trails up here are root and rock infested. One of the first things I noticed was how often I was clipping my pedals. I even thought of switching cranks to a 170 mm to try to help. I recently bought a new air shaft for my Pike so now I have 150mm up front. The combo of the increase in the Pike, and 7 months of learning to ride a bike with a low BB it's fine the way it is.

Everyone talks how this bike "rails" in the turns......low BB is one of the reasons.

There's a trade off, crank arms that look like this.

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    The bottom bracket is low there is no doubt about it. I live in upstate NY and our trails up here are root and rock infested. One of the first things I noticed was how often I was clipping my pedals. I even thought of switching cranks to a 170 mm to try to help. I recently bought a new air shaft for my Pike so now I have 150mm up front. The combo of the increase in the Pike, and 7 months of learning to ride a bike with a low BB it's fine the way it is.

Everyone talks how this bike "rails" in the turns......low BB is one of the reasons.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	1023366

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1023367

There's a trade off, crank arms that look like this.
    Holy smokes!!! Good think I put some boots on after my first ride!!! If my XTR looked like this I would not be happy!!

I guess I should have added I am on 170mm cranks, I think TBC puts 175mm on the builds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm not overly concerned about mangling some cranks, more concerned about keeping the rubber side down in the chop going both up and down. I guess skill and line choice become more of a factor.

At least it's not a situation with like an Intense where you have a low BB plus a vulnerable link hanging down another 1" killing your clearance.

My wife rides the same size, I guess I could convince her to pull the trigger on a Scout and a Patrol and glutton myself on the best of both worlds!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm not overly concerned about mangling some cranks, more concerned about keeping the rubber side down in the chop going both up and down. I guess skill and line choice become more of a factor.

At least it's not a situation with like an Intense where you have a low BB plus a vulnerable link hanging down another 1" killing your clearance.

My wife rides the same size, I guess I could convince her to pull the trigger on a Scout and a Patrol and glutton myself on the best of both worlds!
    As other say, it really isn't an issue after a few weeks. Was worried about the hose under the bb as well but haven't had a single tangle or caught anything down there. If the bb wasn't so low it wouldn't be the same bike
    And yes get some crank boots.
    Put your phone down and get riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crazbiker4 View Post
    Holy smokes!!! Good think I put some boots on after my first ride!!! If my XTR looked like this I would not be happy!!

I guess I should have added I am on 170mm cranks, I think TBC puts 175mm on the builds.
    I think the 2016 builds come with 170mm cranks, and if they did raise BB 5mm there should be less pedal strikes than I get.

Ride Everything
    Just placed an order for a large Scout 4. After reading most of this thread, I should probably grab some crank boots/covers.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Just placed an order for a large Scout 4. After reading most of this thread, I should probably grab some crank boots/covers.
    Scratched crank arms.......

Some scars are meant to be worn with pride!

"A Lesson Lived Is A Lesson Learned"

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    I think the 2016 builds come with 170mm cranks, and if they did raise BB 5mm there should be less pedal strikes than I get.
    You are right 2016 = 170mm and the 2015 = 175mm.... too bad XTR does not have a 172.5mm option because I would have gotten that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Does the 5mm BB raise for 2016 put it at 13.2" then or was it even lower before? An extra 5mm there plus 5 off the pedals is a little extra comfort.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does the 5mm BB raise for 2016 put it at 13.2" then or was it even lower before? An extra 5mm there plus 5 off the pedals is a little extra comfort.
    According to the website the BB is "estimated" to be 13".

I put the 150mm shaft on my Pike and I'm just a little over 13"

You may be at 13" on the 2016. Maybe someone can measure. I've got a 2015 Scout 2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for checking, I'd be inclined to think yours was at 13" and the fork gave you a couple mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for checking, I'd be inclined to think yours was at 13" and the fork gave you a couple mm.
    No problem, I think the "estimated" 13" BB height is a generous figure! With my 150 Pike and the fact that my tires are still overinflated from riding at the bike park(45 psi to prevent pinch flats) I think I'm closer to 13". Meaning the actual was less than 13 to start off.

Ride Everything
    I'll measure my 2016's BB height when it gets here Monday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Finally got my scout built

Thanks to bjames on this forum, I was able to track down a '15 Scout in Portland, OR about a month ago.

I'm not sure there is any change in BB height, they just spec'ed 5mm shorter cranks for '16.

Does anyone else have a fair amount of oil from the monarch? Maybe it is just breaking in. Only have one short ride on it thus far.

'15 Large Scout
    '16 Fox 34 140mm
    760mm race face next bars 35 clamp
    50mm easton haven 35 clamp
    cane creek hs
    170mm raceface turbine cranks/ 32 tooth
    x01 rear derailleur
    x01 trigger
    xx1 cassette & chain
    sram guide rs brakes 160r/180f (like them much more than XT)
    ergon saddle
    raceface atlas grips
    125mm thomson dropper
    easton heist 30 wheels
    2.3 minion dhf front/2.3 minion dhr II rear
    xpedo spry pedals
    king ti cage

13.31 kg

Scout Build Thread-scout.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Awesome! Glad to see it all come together!

mtbr member
    The bottom bracket is low there is no doubt about it. I live in upstate NY and our trails up here are root and rock infested.
    Can confirm, upstate NY is chunky. I'm up near Syracuse and have had to get good at track standing & low speed stuff. The slightly raised BB height is a plus to me. Very much looking forward to a Scout next spring!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Just placed an order for a large Scout 4.
    Rad!

aaarrrggghh!

Whatever floats your boat

Ride what makes you happy. If you don't like dropper posts that is your prerogative. However, saying most people that ride them are posers is utter BS. These things are not fashion statements nor are they unnecessary. I have a MTB clinic business and have personally seen many riders benefit by dropper posts as it allows them to safely and confidently improve their skills. If you don't like them fine, but don't bag on everyone else that does. There is a reason every single pro dh and enduro rider doesn't ride/race with their seat jacked all the way up.

Enjoy the ride, enjoy your Scout, don't spew nonsense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    yeesh, the pedal strike issue got me not once, but twice, today. Trick and NO treats.

first one was pretty bad, feeling pretty banged up. need to buy a new helmet and took a while to get all the chunk out of the wounds. thankfully I landed in some soft dirt on the second strike to crash.

coming off a 29er hardtail, obviously some serious growing pains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    How does the black paintwork on the Scouts hold up? Most black bikes I've come across scuff up quite easily and end up looking tatty really fast.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good so far, crashed plenty and ride in mucky stuff so washed lots, no issues.
    Was a bit worried and usually try and get anodised or raw, but the paint is nice, seems to be some kind of hardy baked matte finish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by prezet View Post
    How does the black paintwork on the Scouts hold up? Most black bikes I've come across scuff up quite easily and end up looking tatty really fast.
    It's holding up pretty good, I was concerned with the matte finish but its pretty durable. Most of the marks on my bike are not related to riding. I had it fall out of my bike stand and it took a nice chunk out. I also have a horribly designed bike carrier that scratches a couple of places which I fixed with an old tube to prevent more damage. The good thing is I bought some auto touch up paint that is nearly perfect match.......it's a MTB though.... Some scratches are worn with pride.

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    I think it has held up pretty well after this season, my only complaint is that matte is a pita to keep clean!!!!! I think muc-off makes some spray now for it but my Honda spray polish works like a charm keeping it looking fresh.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Cheers for the replies. Still having trouble deciding between the black and the green!

Out of interest, how many people are running large frames, and what length dropper are you using with it? I'm using a 125mm on my Covert, but thinking a 150mm is probably better with the Scout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm running large Scout and 150 KS Lev dropper. For 125mm dropper it would be close to insertion limit. As I pre-ordered the frame and sourced parts in the meanwhile, 150mm dropper was a safe bet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm seriously considering a Scout and have a demo at the weekend which I'm really looking forward to.

Quick question, save me going through the whole thread, what sort of build weights are people getting?

Ride Everything
    My stock Scout 4 build (large frame) came in at 31.8 pounds w/pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My build came in at just under 29lbs with pedals. Revelations, (saving for pikes!) XT drive train and brakes, reverb, Pacenti TL28 wheelset, Easton carbon bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Cheers for the replies. Still having trouble deciding between the black and the green!

Out of interest, how many people are running large frames, and what length dropper are you using with it? I'm using a 125mm on my Covert, but thinking a 150mm is probably better with the Scout.
    I have a large frame and a 125mm dropper. Easily could go to the 150. There's room for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    hi, do any of you scout owners know or have tried how big a rear tire you could get away with on the scout...in particular a 2.8 wtb trailblazer on a narrower 30mm rim. the trailblazer is actually a measured 2.5 from reading on the plus size forum but the height may be the factor with the shorter chainstays on the scout. thanks.

mtbr member
    How much of a pain was the internal cable routing for those that built up their frames? I hate the idea of disassembling (at best) or disassembling and bleeding (at worst) my brakes just to install them, nevermind the frustration of installing the shifter cable. Honestly, if there were guides to run cables externally, I'd probably have ordered already.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Took about 10 seconds a cable, went from the bottom up, used a screwdriver to poke out from the other side port at the top. Maybe 1st timers luck, but was no sweat. To stop cable rattle, after hooking everything up, pulled the cables out the top and put single sided foam tape around, slid back in, all good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got the medium frame and a 125mm dropper and I'm slightly over the insertion length. I'd get the 150mm dropper to be safe.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried to put plus tires on there scout yet?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

cnut
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Has anyone tried to put plus tires on there scout yet?
    I suspect 27.5+ tyres wouldn't fit - because they're practically as big as a 29er wheel. People have tried them on the Smuggler and they'll only just go in there.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I tried to fit a 29" wheel it didn't work, so I guess it's impossible with a 27.5+

Envoyé de mon XT1092 en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    can fit a purgatory 3.0 on a roval 29mm id 27.5 rim on my smuggler with about 5mm to spare on each side of chainstays and a 2.8 trailblazer on scraper rim no problem. i suspect a 2.8 trailblazer which is closer to a 2.5..on a 30mm id rim would be close on the scout if not actually possible as it is a smaller diameter than a 29 tire and rim

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.4" Continental Trail Kings on i30mm rims. The clearance is about 8mm at narrowest, which is how it should be. Although the WTB Trailblazer comes in just shy of 29" (at around 28.6" I believe), I would speculate that clearance would diminish to 5mm or less, point at which the rear tire would be at risk of rubbing the frame during hard turns.

Quote Originally Posted by botero View Post
    can fit a purgatory 3.0 on a roval 29mm id 27.5 rim on my smuggler with about 5mm to spare on each side of chainstays and a 2.8 trailblazer on scraper rim no problem. i suspect a 2.8 trailblazer which is closer to a 2.5..on a 30mm id rim would be close on the scout if not actually possible as it is a smaller diameter than a 29 tire and rim
    Last edited by awai04; 11-16-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So the demo was last weekend and the bike was flippin brilliant. Large black/green ordered.

Unfortunately it won't be here till January

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fathomer View Post
    So the demo was last weekend and the bike was flippin brilliant. Large black/green ordered.

Unfortunately it won't be here till January
    I did a demo two days ago, soo much fun, kept up with a guy on a sworks stumpjumper 29er w/o issue. Just ordered my lime-aid monster too! The wait has begun!

mtbr member
    I'm parting out my Scout, holler if you want a medium Scout frame or anything else! The DB is sold, it will have the stock RS Monarch installed.

Name:	IMG_2625.jpg 
Views:	1516 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	1019871

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    MotoMike, so I have got to ask why? Have the bike on its way to me from Transition and curious why you're parting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lachoy731 View Post
    MotoMike, so I have got to ask why? Have the bike on its way to me from Transition and curious why you're parting.
    Yeah, I'm curious too.

mtbr member
    Due to an unfortunate event, I had to buy that Scout to replace a stolen bike (patrol). Last week the Patrol came back home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Due to an unfortunate event, I had to buy that Scout to replace a stolen bike (patrol). Last week the Patrol came back home!
    Well congrats on reuniting with your Patrol. So this has me thinking, like I said, I have a Scout on the way. I haven't even sat on one, just pulled the trigger after hearing all of the positive words on the bike and the company. I am coming off a Stumpy EVO w/ plenty travel. I am a bit concerned the Scout may be a huge transition (no pun). Trails around me are best suited for the Scout, no real gnarly dh stuff, but I like the squish of the Stumpy and worry I may miss that.
    Having both what makes you lean towards the Patrol? Thanks for any info and sorry for the dissertation.

mtbr member
    You will love the Scout! Both bikes are amazing. I just had built up my dream bike (patrol) from scratch and when I got it back in perfect condition I decided to keep it and sell the Scout. To be totally honest it has more to do with the fork I have on the Patrol (36) than anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You will love the Scout! Both bikes are amazing. I just had built up my dream bike (patrol) from scratch and when I got it back in perfect condition I decided to keep it and sell the Scout. To be totally honest it has more to do with the fork I have on the Patrol (36) than anything.
    Pshew, I thought we lost a family member

mtbr member
    Scored this thread, can anyone please confirm the Scout's shock size as 7.5x2.0!?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yes it is 7.5"x2.0". You may gain more confirmation from Transition web page. Check the "Frame spec" section.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Scored this thread, can anyone please confirm the Scout's shock size as 7.5x2.0!?
    Yes it is

Mr. Knowitall
    And has anyone thought of putting an EXT Storia coil shock on it? (just want the shock, not necessarily need it for anything)

mtbr member
    2016 Scout frame on its way! Build as follows-

Large black frame
    2016 Fox 34 150mm
    2016 Fox Float DPS shock
    XT 1x11 drive
    XT brakes
    Roval Traverse Fattie wheelset (29mm internal)
    Easton Haven 35mm x 35mm stem, Havoc 35 carbon bar x 800

I have yet to see a Scout with a Fox rear shock! This new Fox stuff is incredible, I like the new 34 much better than the Pike! Anyhow, cant wait to get this built up. I ordered some orange frame decals to match the Fox orange...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Large black frame
    2016 Fox 34 150mm
    2016 Fox Float DPS shock
    XT 1x11 drive
    XT brakes

I have yet to see a Scout with a Fox rear shock! This new Fox stuff is incredible, I like the new 34 much better than the Pike! Anyhow, cant wait to get this built up. I ordered some orange frame decals to match the Fox orange...
    Sounds like a beastly build, how much did this run you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Large black frame
    2016 Fox 34 150mm
    2016 Fox Float DPS shock
    XT 1x11 drive
    XT brakes

Where did you order the frame decals from? I've got a black Scout on order and I'm not a massive fan on the green to be honest?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f0nz0 View Post
    Sounds like a beastly build, how much did this run you?
    Hard to say, everything is being moved over from my current bike except for the dropper (I need one for the Scout by the way so if anyone has one on the cheap, message me!)

Yup, the Force is a nice rig but I wanted a better climber with shorter stays!

@fathomer, an ebay vendor sells them in all colors for under $12 shipped-Transition Bike Decals Set 9 DH MTB TR Covert Bandit Blindside Freeride | eBay

I did not know the Scout frame decals were removable but the person I bought the frame from has removed the top tube stripe and I think it looks much better without!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hard to say, everything is being moved over from my current bike except for the dropper (I need one for the Scout by the way so if anyone has one on the cheap, message me!)

Yup, the Force is a nice rig but I wanted a better climber with shorter stays!

@fathomer, an ebay vendor sells them in all colors for under $12 shipped-Transition Bike Decals Set 9 DH MTB TR Covert Bandit Blindside Freeride | eBay

I did not know the Scout frame decals were removable but the person I bought the frame from has removed the top tube stripe and I think it looks much better without!
    Interesting, on my 2015 Scout that is not a sticker. I just checked.

mtbr member
    Not a sticker. He said he used a little Acetone on a rag and it came right off. I'm guessing it is a light paint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Not a sticker. He said he used a little Acetone on a rag and it came right off. I'm guessing it is a light paint.
    Does it only take the green decal off? Or does it rub the black paint off as well? I'm having trouble picturing how this works.
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If that's the case I'll be sticking with the green, I'm sure it'll grow on me.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, not sure if the frame is anodized but he said removing the green did not affect the frames finish. I'm just glad the stupid stripe on the top tube is gone.

Edit- no offense to anyone about the stripe, I always thought it looked like an afterthought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, not sure if the frame is anodized but he said removing the green did not affect the frames finish. I'm just glad the stupid stripe on the top tube is gone.

Edit- no offense to anyone about the stripe, I always thought it looked like an afterthought.
    Stripe on the swing arm is gone too. How bout the "Scout" on the inside of the swing arm?

mtbr member
    Inside of swinger logo is still there as is the one on the back of the seat tube, not sure if they will be removed? . Sooo, is the internal routing that much a PITA? Not sure if I want to tackle it myself or just pay the LBS to deal with it???

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Inside of swinger logo is still there as is the one on the back of the seat tube, not sure if they will be removed? . Sooo, is the internal routing that much a PITA? Not sure if I want to tackle it myself or just pay the LBS to deal with it???
    I bought my bike as a complete package, but shortly after upgraded the brakes and added a dropper. Its not easy, but its not that bad. I enjoy working on my bike so it was a challenge I liked taking on.

The cables will rattle if you don't prepare them, and I'm not sure the bike shop will do this for you.

Here is a thread on what some people have tried.

Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If I had extra cash lying around I would of played the lbs , it was such a hassle installing my stealth post... Make sure you have a nice little J-hook tool, small enough to fit through hole, but strong enough to fish out cable without it slipping, it was such a hassle

mtbr member
    The few frames with stealth routing I have sold, I attached and pulled a fish line through for the buyer! I will check out the link!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The few frames with stealth routing I have sold, I attached and pulled a fish line through for the buyer! I will check out the link!
    A flashlight and this tool kit is all you need. I got mine at Harbor Freight for $1.99. The cutouts on the side of the frame are fairly large. The curved pics make it easy to grab the cable.

Scout Build Thread-image_16048.jpg

mtbr member
    Cool. I have some of those in my tool box at work!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you enjoy technical riding, I would suggest skipping the internal routing, at least on the rear brake. I severed my rear brake line at a very inopportune spot on my local trail. I will never run cables and hoses underneath the bottom bracket again. YMMV.

mtbr member
    I will look into that. I have ran the cables underneath without a problem here in rocky So. Cal. but never with a BB this low.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast